Quantcast

use other formats from ov3640 camera sensor through the isp pipeline

use other formats from ov3640 camera sensor through the isp pipeline

tom1001
Hello,

I am using the ov3640 camera sensor along with the isp pipeline and
configured it like: sensor->ccdc->memory

My sensor supports more formats like rgb565 and so. Does anyone have an idea
how I could manage to set these formats out of the users application? If I
understand it right, the isp pipeline will not allow a format the ccdc source
pad does not know.

Regards, Tom

Re: use other formats from ov3640 camera sensor through the isp pipeline

Andy Walls
The VIDIOC_ENUM_FMT, VIDIOC_G/S/TRY_FMT ioctl() calls are documented in
Appendix A here:

http://linuxtv.org/downloads/v4l-dvb-apis/

Note that almost all drivers will not allow a format change while
streaming.

Regards,
Andy

On Tue, 2013-12-10 at 05:45 -0800, tom1001 wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am using the ov3640 camera sensor along with the isp pipeline and
> configured it like: sensor->ccdc->memory
>
> My sensor supports more formats like rgb565 and so. Does anyone have an idea
> how I could manage to set these formats out of the users application? If I
> understand it right, the isp pipeline will not allow a format the ccdc
> source
> pad does not know.
>
> Regards, Tom

Re: use other formats from ov3640 camera sensor through the isp pipeline

tom1001
Hello Andy,

thanks for your reply. By using the sensor with the media pipeline, the ccdc output will be set as the video device and the sensor and the ccdc input as subdevices. So to change the format on the sonsor I would need to call "VIDIOC_SUBDEV_S_FMT". But this call requires a "v4l2_mbus_framefmt" which does not contain the pixelformat code which were used in the previous kernel versions. So I think I need to add new media busa formats according to the pixelformats I want right?

V4L2_PIX_FMT_UYVY
V4L2_PIX_FMT_YUYV
V4L2_PIX_FMT_YUV444
V4L2_PIX_FMT_BGR32
 V4L2_PIX_FMT_RGB555
V4L2_PIX_FMT_RGB565
V4L2_PIX_FMT_SBGGR8

Does someone know why media bus couldn't use the standard pixelformats?

Regrads, Tom

Re: use other formats from ov3640 camera sensor through the isp pipeline

Andy Walls
Hi Tom,

I see you received a response from Laurent on the LMML.  He has much
more knowledge than I on the OMAP ISP linux drivers and media bus.
Guennadi and Hans would also be able to help.

Here was Hans Verkuil's original RFC from Sept 2009 on the media bus:

http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-media/msg09979.html

Yes, if the format you want to use isn't supported, you will have to add
another format to the kernel and V4L2 API.

The formats in the kernel are the ones added as support for new hardware
was added.

Why isn't the format you want in the kernel?  Either it requires
in-kernel video format conversion in software (which will never be
accepted in the upstream kernel), or no one has ever needed the format
before and submitted patches upstream.

Regards,
Andy

On Wed, 2013-12-11 at 04:59 -0800, tom1001 wrote:

> Hello Andy,
>
> thanks for your reply. By using the sensor with the media pipeline, the ccdc
> output will be set as the video device and the sensor and the ccdc input as
> subdevices. So to change the format on the sonsor I would need to call
> "VIDIOC_SUBDEV_S_FMT". But this call requires a "v4l2_mbus_framefmt" which
> does not contain the pixelformat code which were used in the previous kernel
> versions. So I think I need to add new media busa formats according to the
> pixelformats I want right?
>
> V4L2_PIX_FMT_UYVY
> V4L2_PIX_FMT_YUYV
> V4L2_PIX_FMT_YUV444
> V4L2_PIX_FMT_BGR32
>  V4L2_PIX_FMT_RGB555
> V4L2_PIX_FMT_RGB565
> V4L2_PIX_FMT_SBGGR8
>
> Does someone know why media bus couldn't use the standard pixelformats?
>
> Regrads, Tom

Re: use other formats from ov3640 camera sensor through the isp pipeline

tom1001
Hello Andy,

again many thanks for your reply. The link you gave me really helped to understand the issue.
The formats I didn't find or maybe not understand as such were
V4L2_PIX_FMT_BGR32
V4L2_PIX_FMT_SBGGR8
V4L2_PIX_FMT_YUV444

Regards, Tom