Quantcast

twl4030_madc twl4030_madc: conversion timeout!

twl4030_madc twl4030_madc: conversion timeout!

Keane, Ben (STRX)

Hi,

Does anyone have any experience would lead to explain why I get the error message “twl4030_madc twl4030_madc: conversion timeout!”  and how I could fix this? I’m using Kernel version 3.3.0

Kind Regards,

Ben

PROPRIETARY: This e-mail contains proprietary information some or all of which may be legally privileged. It is intended for the recipient only. If an addressing or transmission error has misdirected this e-mail, please notify the authority by replying to this e-mail. If you are not the intended recipient you must not use, disclose, distribute, copy, print, or rely on this e-mail.

Re: twl4030_madc twl4030_madc: conversion timeout!

Keane, Ben (STRX)

Sorry I forgot to add it only happens intermittently

[  189.992095] twl4030_madc twl4030_madc: conversion timeout!

[  306.975830] twl4030_madc twl4030_madc: conversion timeout!

[  480.179138] twl4030_madc twl4030_madc: conversion timeout!

[  610.564025] twl4030_madc twl4030_madc: conversion timeout!

.. but then sometimes a lot in close succession.

Re: twl4030_madc twl4030_madc: conversion timeout!

bhamadicharef
If you look at the source at
http://lxr.free-electrons.com/source/drivers/mfd/twl4030-madc.c?v=3.3;a=arm
in the function static int twl4030_madc_wait_conversion_ready (line 472) there
seems to be some time out in ms (set to 5 ms at line 582) ... pretty ok for most
situation I think.

Which input do you measure ?  What sort of signal, bandwidth / dynamic level  ?
How often do you read it ? Is your call threaded or by a timer ?

I am using Sakoman R13 Gnome (3.0.0) and do not have any issues, although I
am measuring a very stable signal (voltage divider with potentiometer and
multiple switches configured as joystick).

Brahim

Re: twl4030_madc twl4030_madc: conversion timeout!

Keane, Ben (STRX)
Hi,

Thanks for your suggestions.  It timesouts whether it's a fast moving signal or a fixed voltage signal. I read it every 100mS or so. I sample 4 ADC lines every 100ms.

I have changed the timeout to 10mS and it is happening less - I will monitor and see how that goes.  I would rather a same to take longer than it to timeout.

Thanks,

Ben

in the function static int twl4030_madc_wait_conversion_ready (line 472) there seems to be some time out in ms (set to 5 ms at line 582) ... pretty ok for most situation I think.

Which input do you measure ?  What sort of signal, bandwidth / dynamic level ?
How often do you read it ? Is your call threaded or by a timer ?

I am using Sakoman R13 Gnome (3.0.0) and do not have any issues, although I am measuring a very stable signal (voltage divider with potentiometer and multiple switches configured as joystick).

Brahim

Exclusive live event will cover all the ways today's security and threat landscape has changed and how IT managers can respond. Discussions will include endpoint security, mobile security and the latest in malware threats. http://www.accelacomm.com/jaw/sfrnl04242012/114/50122263/

CAUTION: This message was sent via the Public Internet and its authenticity cannot be guaranteed.

PROPRIETARY: This e-mail contains proprietary information some or all of which may be legally privileged.  It is intended for the recipient only.  If an addressing or transmission error has misdirected this e-mail, please notify the authority by replying to this e-mail.  If you are not the intended recipient you must not use, disclose, distribute, copy, print, or rely on this e-mail.

Re: twl4030_madc twl4030_madc: conversion timeout!

bhamadicharef
Hi

Maybe change the channel, which one are you using ?

Maybe add some buffering (op amp) to make sure the
signal is beefy enough, some previous discussion on
this forum mentioned some sort of "current non-linearity"
if I remember well ...

Try other functions of the TWL4030 with the battery and
even temperature monitoring. Is you setup industrial i.e.
working within some very low or higher temperatures

Best of luck

Brahim

Re: twl4030_madc twl4030_madc: conversion timeout!

Keane, Ben (STRX)
I'm using the gumstix on a custom PCB - and am using 4 ADC lines - I will investigate further if it is just happening on one or all of them.  The ADC lines are all driven by a unity gain op amp for buffering.

The current non-linearity discussion was started by me - I have found the solution to that problem which I intended to post a patch for the 3.3.0 kernel but haven't got around to it yet. The extra current draw also caused a voltage drop, which causes the ADC's to read the voltage incorrectly as the voltage (and current) gets higher. I know this problem isn't present in 2.6.32, so I am not sure when TI introduced this bug.  I will try and submit my patch for comment soon.