sample numbers for Overo Earth power consumption

sample numbers for Overo Earth power consumption

Peter Lawrence-5
Like some other Gumstix users, I am struggling to reduce the Gumstix
power consumption to be more in line with other OMAP3 platforms.

In the hope that it helps others with similar struggles, this
documents what power savings I achieved and how each incremental
improvement was done.

Since test setup can make a significant difference, here is my test setup:

gumstix Overo Earth
gumstix Pinto-TH (modified)
USB to TTL serial cable (FTDI TTL-232R-3V3)

I chose the Pinto-TH because it has the least amount of claptrap.
(Things like Ethernet and low-power consumption tend to be mutually
exclusive.)  Alas, the Pinto-TH has perhaps too little claptrap, as
there is no built-in method to easily access the console.

To remedy this, I white-wired the Pinto-TH PCB to use the onboard
74x245 to translate the console signals (GPIO165_IR_RXD3 and
GPIO166_IR_TXD3) to 3.3V.  I then used a FTDI TTL-232R-3V3 cable to
provide a convenient USB serial port connection.

I powered the Pinto-TH with a 6VDC bench supply and measured power
with a bench multimeter.

All measurements of power consumption are with an idle shell prompt
and no extra software running.

768 mW : defacto Sakoman mainline kernel linked to by the Gumstix site
750 mW : (saved 18 mW) removal of two LEDs on Pinto-TH board
624 mW : (saved 126 mW) switched to bleeding edge Linux OMAP3 PM kernel
264 mW : (saved 360 mW) enabled 'sleep while idle'
180 mW : (saved 84 mW) forced USB3326 chip into reset via GPIO183
174 mW : (saved 6 mW) turned off blue LED via "GPIO211" and kernel patch
168 mW : (saved 6 mW) enabled 'off mode'

It is unclear to me what actions are taken (if any) in the TPS65950 by
'sleep_while_idle' and 'off_mode', and given that the Gumstix is a
black box (no schematic), it is hard to know how the supplies are used
and what can be safely turned off.  Neither of the kernels actually
ever turn off VDD1, VDD2, for example.  Both the Linux OMAP PM and the
latest mainline Sakoman kernels do something to alter power
consumption (but it only could be internal to the OMAP3).

'sleep_while_idle' was enabled with the following:

mkdir /debug
mount -t debugfs debugfs /debug
echo 5 > /sys/devices/platform/serial8250.0/sleep_timeout
echo 5 > /sys/devices/platform/serial8250.1/sleep_timeout
echo 5 > /sys/devices/platform/serial8250.2/sleep_timeout
echo 1 > /debug/pm_debug/sleep_while_idle

'off_mode' was enabled with the following:

mkdir /debug
mount -t debugfs debugfs /debug
echo 5 > /sys/devices/platform/serial8250.0/sleep_timeout
echo 5 > /sys/devices/platform/serial8250.1/sleep_timeout
echo 5 > /sys/devices/platform/serial8250.2/sleep_timeout
echo 1 > /debug/pm_debug/sleep_while_idle
echo 1 > /debug/pm_debug/enable_off_mode

Holding the USB3326 in reset was achieved with the following:

echo 183 > /sys/class/gpio/export
echo out > /sys/class/gpio/gpio183/direction
echo 0 > /sys/class/gpio/gpio183/value

Disabling the blue LED (D3) was achieved by patching the kernel (See
Federico Belvisi's post to this mailing list on 2010-09-21.) and the
following:

echo 211 > /sys/class/gpio/export
echo out > /sys/class/gpio/gpio211/direction
echo 1 > /sys/class/gpio/gpio211/value

Re: sample numbers for Overo Earth power consumption

R. P. McMurphy
Here are my settings for the PMIC. I turn off a few voltage rails and
keep the USB PHY off.

TPS_49.GPIO_CTRL ,0x00
TPS_49.GPBR1 ,0x00
TPS_4A.KEYP_CTRL_REG ,0x03
TPS_4A.CTRL1 ,0x00
TPS_4A.BCIMDKEY ,0x2A
TPS_4B.BOOT_BCI ,0x30
TPS_4A.LEDEN ,0x00
TPS_49.CODEC_MODE ,0x00
TPS_49.OPTION ,0x00
TPS_49.BT_IF ,0x04
TPS_49.VOICE_IF ,0x04
TPS_49.AUDIO_IF ,0x04
TPS_49.MICBIAS_CTL ,0x00
TPS_49.ANAMICL ,0x00
TPS_49.ANAMICR ,0x00
TPS_49.AVADC_CTL ,0x00
TPS_49.ALC_CTL ,0x05
TPS_49.AVDAC_CTL ,0x00
TPS_49.ARXL1_APGA_CTL ,0x32
TPS_49.ARXR1_APGA_CTL ,0x32
TPS_49.ARXL2_APGA_CTL ,0x32
TPS_49.ARXR2_APGA_CTL ,0x32
TPS_49.VDL_APGA_CTL ,0x32
TPS_49.EAR_CTL ,0x00
TPS_49.PREDL_CTL ,0x00
TPS_49.PREDR_CTL ,0x00
TPS_49.PRECKL_CTL ,0x00
TPS_49.PRECKR_CTL ,0x00
TPS_49.HFL_CTL ,0x00
TPS_49.HFR_CTL ,0x00
TPS_49.HS_GAIN_SET ,0x00
TPS_49.DTMF_CTL ,0x00
TPS_49.APLL_CTL ,0x06
TPS_48.OTG_CTRL ,0x06
TPS_48.IFC_CTRL ,0x00
TPS_48.CARKIT_PLS_CTRL ,0x00
TPS_48.PHY_CLK_CTRL ,0x06
TPS_48.OTHER_IFC_CTRL ,0x84
TPS_48.OTHER_FUNC_CTRL ,0x00
TPS_48.POWER_CTRL ,0x00
TPS_48.CARKIT_ANA_CTRL ,0x08 ;enable analogue inputs (must be done
before setting PHY_PWR_CTRL)
TPS_48.CARKIT_CTRL ,0x00
TPS_48.PHY_PWR_CTRL ,0x01 ;save 30mA
TPS_48.FUNC_CTRL ,0x09
TPS_4B.VIBRATOR_CFG ,0x00
TPS_49.VIBRA_CTL ,0x00
TPS_4B.VAUX1_DEV_GRP ,0x00
TPS_4B.VAUX2_DEV_GRP ,0x00
TPS_4B.VAUX3_DEV_GRP ,0x00
TPS_4B.VAUX4_DEV_GRP ,0x00
TPS_4B.VMMC1_DEV_GRP ,0x00
TPS_4B.VMMC2_DEV_GRP ,0x00
TPS_4B.VPLL2_DEV_GRP ,0x00
TPS_4B.VSIM_DEV_GRP ,0x00
TPS_4B.VDAC_DEV_GRP ,0x00
TPS_4B.VUSB1V5_DEV_GRP ,0x00
TPS_4B.VUSB1V8_DEV_GRP ,0x00
TPS_4B.VUSBCP_DEV_GRP ,0x00
TPS_4B.REGEN_DEV_GRP ,0x00

If you are not using the analogue inputs then you can add this also:

TPS_4B.VUSB3V1_DEV_GRP ,0x00

On 9/24/10, Peter Lawrence <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>
> mkdir /debug
> mount -t debugfs debugfs /debug
> echo 5 > /sys/devices/platform/serial8250.0/sleep_timeout
> echo 5 > /sys/devices/platform/serial8250.1/sleep_timeout
> echo 5 > /sys/devices/platform/serial8250.2/sleep_timeout
> echo 1 > /debug/pm_debug/sleep_while_idle
> echo 1 > /debug/pm_debug/enable_off_mode
>
> Holding the USB3326 in reset was achieved with the following:
>
> echo 183 > /sys/class/gpio/export
> echo out > /sys/class/gpio/gpio183/direction
> echo 0 > /sys/class/gpio/gpio183/value
>
> Disabling the blue LED (D3) was achieved by patching the kernel (See
> Federico Belvisi's post to this mailing list on 2010-09-21.) and the
> following:
>
> echo 211 > /sys/class/gpio/export
> echo out > /sys/class/gpio/gpio211/direction
> echo 1 > /sys/class/gpio/gpio211/value

Re: sample numbers for Overo Earth power consumption

TylerBMS
R.P. McMurphy,

Where do you set all of these values?  I currently set a few of these values, but I am pretty sure that I am not doing it in a clearly organized way, as your values below make it appear that you do.

Thanks

Tyler Gore
617-505-4865(work)
503-860-0743 (cell)
--
This email message, including any attachments, is intended solely for
the use of the designated recipient(s) and may contain confidential,

Re: sample numbers for Overo Earth power consumption

R. P. McMurphy
I initialise in this order:

1. GPIO pulled/driven to avoid conflicts and reset the peripherals
2. OMAP internal devices disabled and powered down
3. SDRAM & SRAM
4. I2C1 unit (for PMIC)
5. PMIC, as shown previously
6. Clocks, set 600MHz for fast OS loading
7. NAND load of system code

On 9/24/10, Tyler Gore <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>> Nokia and AT&T present the 2010 Calling All Innovators-North America
>> contest
>> Create new apps & games for the Nokia N8 for consumers in  U.S. and Canada
>> $10 million total in prizes - $4M cash, 500 devices, nearly $6M in
>> marketing
>> Develop with Nokia Qt SDK, Web Runtime, or Java and Publish to Ovi Store
>> http://p.sf.net/sfu/nokia-dev2dev

> Tyler Gore
> 617-505-4865(work)
> 503-860-0743 (cell)
> --
> This email message, including any attachments, is intended solely for
> the use of the designated recipient(s) and may contain confidential,
> privileged, and or proprietary information. Any unauthorized review,
> use, disclosure or distribution is strictly prohibited.

Re: sample numbers for Overo Earth power consumption

jmcgloin
Thanks Peter,
                For the information, this is something we are struggling
with at the moment.

Kind regards

James McGloin
Managing Director
Eointec Solutions ltd
Tel:  +353 (0)71 9851990
Mob: +353 (0)86 0642235
Fax: +353 (0)71 9852864
www.eointecsolutions.com

    bringing DSP solutions to market

Re: sample numbers for Overo Earth power consumption

Peter Lawrence-5
R. P. McMurphy, thanks for the settings.

As a nasty temporary hack (just to see the impact), I stuck writes to
CARKIT_ANA_CTRL and PHY_PWR_CTRL in the Linux kernel, and it had a
huge impact.

To update my numbers from the last email:

768 mW : defacto Sakoman mainline kernel linked to by the Gumstix site
750 mW : (saved 18 mW) removal of two LEDs on Pinto-TH board
624 mW : (saved 126 mW) switched to bleeding edge Linux OMAP3 PM kernel
264 mW : (saved 360 mW) enabled 'sleep while idle'
180 mW : (saved 84 mW) forced USB3326 chip into reset via GPIO183
174 mW : (saved 6 mW) turned off blue LED via "GPIO211" and kernel patch
168 mW : (saved 6 mW) enabled 'off mode'
54 mW : (saved 114 mW) PHY_PWR_CTRL disabled

Clearly, there should be a better way in the Linux kernel to allow the
user to optionally disable this as the application requires, but I
haven't found the documentation on what is the *proper* way.

If someone wanted to try the same nasty kernel hack, I added this two lines:

        twl_i2c_write_u8(TWL4030_MODULE_USB, 0x08 /* value */, 0xBB /*
register (CARKIT_ANA_CTRL) */);
        twl_i2c_write_u8(TWL4030_MODULE_USB, 0x01 /* value */, 0xFD /*
register (PHY_PWR_CTRL) */);

in the function "twl_probe" in /drivers/mfd/twl-core.c just prior to
the comment "load power event scripts".

On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 6:03 PM, R. P. McMurphy <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>>
>> mkdir /debug
>> mount -t debugfs debugfs /debug
>> echo 5 > /sys/devices/platform/serial8250.0/sleep_timeout
>> echo 5 > /sys/devices/platform/serial8250.1/sleep_timeout
>> echo 5 > /sys/devices/platform/serial8250.2/sleep_timeout
>> echo 1 > /debug/pm_debug/sleep_while_idle
>> echo 1 > /debug/pm_debug/enable_off_mode
>>
>> Holding the USB3326 in reset was achieved with the following:
>>
>> echo 183 > /sys/class/gpio/export
>> echo out > /sys/class/gpio/gpio183/direction
>> echo 0 > /sys/class/gpio/gpio183/value
>>
>> Disabling the blue LED (D3) was achieved by patching the kernel (See
>> Federico Belvisi's post to this mailing list on 2010-09-21.) and the
>> following:
>>
>> echo 211 > /sys/class/gpio/export
>> echo out > /sys/class/gpio/gpio211/direction
>> echo 1 > /sys/class/gpio/gpio211/value

Re: sample numbers for Overo Earth power consumption

I have verified this.  This has a huge impact, thanks.

Tyler

On Fri, Sep 24, 2010 at 12:30 PM, Peter Lawrence <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

>> echo 183 > /sys/class/gpio/export
>> echo out > /sys/class/gpio/gpio183/direction
>> echo 0 > /sys/class/gpio/gpio183/value
>>
>> Disabling the blue LED (D3) was achieved by patching the kernel (See
>> Federico Belvisi's post to this mailing list on 2010-09-21.) and the
>> following:
>>
>> echo 211 > /sys/class/gpio/export
>> echo out > /sys/class/gpio/gpio211/direction
>> echo 1 > /sys/class/gpio/gpio211/value

Tyler Gore
617-505-4865(work)
503-860-0743 (cell)
--
This email message, including any attachments, is intended solely for
the use of the designated recipient(s) and may contain confidential,
privileged, and or proprietary information. Any unauthorized review,
use, disclosure or distribution is strictly prohibited.

Re: sample numbers for Overo Earth power consumption

victoraa
Hi Peter,
What version of linux omap pm have you used?
I have no problem to build an linux image with the 2.6.29, but I'm haven
problem building a recipes for a lasted image (linux-omap-pm_2.6.33.bb or
linux-omap-pm_2.6.34.bb).

Thanks

> [...]
>
> Holding the USB3326 in reset was achieved with the following:
>
> echo 183 > /sys/class/gpio/export
> echo out > /sys/class/gpio/gpio183/direction
> echo 0 > /sys/class/gpio/gpio183/value
>
> Disabling the blue LED (D3) was achieved by patching the kernel (See
> Federico Belvisi's post to this mailing list on 2010-09-21.) and the
> following:
>
> echo 211 > /sys/class/gpio/export
> echo out > /sys/class/gpio/gpio211/direction
> echo 1 > /sys/class/gpio/gpio211/value

> Nokia and AT&T present the 2010 Calling All Innovators-North America
> contest
> Create new apps & games for the Nokia N8 for consumers in  U.S. and Canada
> $10 million total in prizes - $4M cash, 500 devices, nearly $6M in
> marketing
> http://p.sf.net/sfu/nokia-dev2dev

Re: sample numbers for Overo Earth power consumption

This is a work in progress for me, but what follows are my current instructions.

Your mileage may vary; do this at your own risk.

What is missing from the instructions is the right patch to .config to
enable access to the NAND flash and SD card.  Such a change is needed
if you want to use the official Gumstix/Sakoman filesystem.

This has been a non-issue for my application, as I want a RAM
filesystem so that the system can be turned on and off without doing a
special shutdown.

--

I don't want to start a flame war, but I find the OpenEmbedded /
BitBake approach wholly lacking.

So, I've been building the kernel the traditional way.

1) Download and install cross-compiler tools:

The easiest solution is to download the CodeSourcery binaries:

http://www.codesourcery.com/sgpp/lite/arm

CodeSourcery provides an install program.  (You'll have to set the
executable bit on the file to run it.)

Note that the CodeSourcery install modifies .bash_profile to add the
path, but this file does not run automatically in Ubuntu.  To fix
this, refer to:

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-general-1/do-i-put-path-in-bash_profile-or-bashrc-or-both-540288/

which says:

"You can change the second by opening a gnome-terminal window and
going to Edit / Profiles - select the Default profile and click the
Edit button. On the Title and Command tab, click the check box for Run
command as a login shell. Your .bash_profile file should be sourced
the next time you open a gnome-terminal."

2) Get latest Linux OMAP PM code

"git" the latest code:

git clone git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/khilman/linux-omap-pm.git

The result will be in the subdirectory "linux-omap-pm".

3) Build the OMAP3_PM Linux Kernel

Extract the download Linux kernel code and cd to that directory.  The
command sequence is:

export ARCH=arm
make omap3_pm_defconfig

This creates a .config file suitable for Linux OMAP3 PM.

TBD: patch the .config file for JFFS2 and SD card

export CROSS_COMPILE=arm-none-eabi-
make uImage [this takes a very long while]

The resultant kernel file will be in: ./arch/arm/boot/uImage

4) Download the initramfs filesystem

Obtain "rd-ext2-8M.bin" from:

http://code.google.com/p/beagleboard/downloads/list

5) Create a bootable MicroSD card

Follow the instructions here:

http://www.gumstix.net/Setup-and-Programming/view/Overo-Setup-and-Programming/Creating-a-bootable-microSD-card/111.html

However, one can omit the "MLO" and the "u-boot.bin" files.

One should, however, copy over the "uImage" file created in step #3,
and the "rd-ext2-8M.bin" (as "rd-ext2.bin") created in step #4.

6) Boot the Overo

Use the "Press any key" prompt at boot to operate the U-Boot app.

Enter the following commands: (alas, they must be done individually,
as U-Boot does not have a large enough buffer for the entire quantity
to be pasted at once)

mmc init
fatload mmc 1:1 0x80300000 uImage.pm
fatload mmc 1:1 0x81600000 rd-ext2.bin
setenv bootargs console=ttyS2,115200n8 ramdisk_size=8192
root=/dev/ram0 rw rootfstype=ext2 initrd=0x81600000,8M
bootm 0x80300000

TBD: change u-boot parameters to perform this automatically

Linux should boot, and one should be presented with a BusyBox console prompt.