Quantcast

reducing kernel size to speed up boot up time

reducing kernel size to speed up boot up time

pjw8811
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: reducing kernel size to speed up boot up time

Rick Rogers-3
3min boot time... ugh, I feel for ya!

I've gotten down to anywhere from ~18sec down to ~7sec, depending on what needs to be enabled at boot (wifi, usb, etc).

The biggest initial impact to boot time for me was been switching to ubifs from jffs2 and mdev from udev.  Also, the latest uboot and MLO (x-loader) are very fast at transferring data from nand flash- I grabbed v2012-04-01 of u-boot from Linaro.

Other things to consider:
  • set uboot bootdelay to 1 (it can actually be set to 0 if uboot is compiled with CONFIG_ZERO_BOOTDELAY_CHECK)
  • set kernel command line param "mpurate=600" in uboot (otherwise it defaults to 500MHz)
  • get rid of unnecessary stuff in the kernel (filesystems not used, etc)
  • I'm not sure if this really has an affect on boot time or not, but I typically enable PREEMPT_RT and high res timers
  • making usb a module saves 2-3 seconds, but in the kernel I'm using (3.0), usb doesn't seem to work as a module

-Rick

On 06/22/2012 12:06 PM, pjw8811 wrote:
Hi,
I am new to gumstix and linux but i learned a lot by playing with gumstix.
all i need for my gumstix project are wifi, usb otg as pheripheral and
gpios.
Everything is working but boot up time is just too slow and i think
libertas_sdio and udev is taking lot of time.
Currently, it takes about 3min to see wifi blue wifi led blinking from power
on.
I am using Overo air with tobi but eventaully will move to pinto-th.
Kernel I am using is 3.0.0 + from sakoman and didn't change anything in
.config file except usb otg.
Any suggestion would be helpful.(what drivers i can remove from .config and
scripts from rc#.d)
below is a list of modules that i am using
g_ether                35520  0
libertas_sdio          20338  1
libertas               92190  1 libertas_sdio
cfg80211              161771  1 libertas
lib80211                5435  1 libertas
firmware_class

more questions...
I also tried to change .config file to remove some services that i can
recognize and don't use, but again, kernel spends lot of time after this
line
"libertas_sdio: Copyright Pierre Ossman"

and sometime, with reduced kernel, i get invalid format error when inserting
module. I think either i messed up .config file or some step is missing. Do
i have to compile modules every time i rebuild kernel by "#make modules" and
"#make modules_install? then above modules are all i have to compile? it
seems i can change that in "modules.builtin." am i correct?
Thanks for reading this message.

Terry

Re: reducing kernel size to speed up boot up time

bhamadicharef
Hi

I am interested to reduce the boot up time (also the off time) and
would be interested to know more about 'switching to ubifs from jffs2
and mdev from udev' ...

Can you share more of the details, maybe even a quick wiki page ?

Brahim

Re: Reducing kernel size to speed up boot up time

xiooozzz
i'm also interesting in this topic. I found a lot of rc.* folders in /etc, but don't know which directroy to start with...

2012-06-26

xiooozzz

Re: reducing kernel size to speed up boot up time

david moffatt

>I am interested to reduce the boot up time (also the off time) and
>would be interested to know more about 'switching to ubifs from jffs2
>and mdev from udev' ...

I have switched from jffs2 to ubifs.   It buys you a second or so.   Not
huge.   I got a much bigger improvement from going through the /etc/rcS.d
and /etc/rc4.d (I switched from run level 5 to run level 4 to get rid of
the Xserver and other cruft that I didn't need).    I went through each
script and thought "do I need this?"  If not I just added an exit(0) at
the top of the file.

FYI Sakoman has a good page on ubifs
www.sakoman.com/OMAP/how-to-write-an-ubifs-rootfs-image-to-nand.html.
You also need to change a boot loader variable when you make this change.

I am also working on stripping down the kernel.   I have not yet spent any
serious time with the config file but my cursory look leads me to believe
that we can definitely shrink it.

CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: reducing kernel size to speed up boot up time

Akram Hameed
Be careful with the mpurate variable; running your overo at the higher OPP will, at least for OMAP which is what I know about, cut the expected lifetime of your silicon in half.

I don't have my specs on me right now, but it is something like 10 years to 5 years.

If that doesn't matter, go for it!  Be aware that you can also bump things to 720MHz if you've got the high performance omap part (your u-boot, if it is new, should suggest the maximum mpurate before allowing you to interact).

On Sat, Jun 23, 2012 at 2:23 AM, Rick Rogers <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

MiLo
Using mdev instead of udev usually gains about 8 seconds boot time.

(my overo fire boots in about 10 seconds, but it only runs a console)