perl or php?

Jeff Sadowski
I'd like the ability to run php or maybe perl scripts.
Last time I checked perl is huge has anyone used their gumstix with perl or php?
I'd prefer php because I've had much better luck but perl would be
able to do what I need to do.

Re: perl or php?

Meece, Clifford T
A microperl distribution can be anbled in the buildroot:

[root@tortix ~]# microperl -v

This is perl, v5.8.8 built for armv5tel-linux

Copyright 1987-2006, Larry Wall

Perl may be copied only under the terms of either the Artistic License
or the
GNU General Public License, which may be found in the Perl 5 source kit.

this system using "man perl" or "perldoc perl".  If you have access to
the
Internet, point your browser at http://www.perl.org/, the Perl Home
Page.

[root@tortix ~]#

Re: perl or php?

Steve Sakoman
Jeff,

I've been using gumstix microperl and have been quite happy with it.  As to it being huge, it's about 1.6MB.

Steve

On 5/18/07, Jeff Sadowski <[hidden email]> wrote:
I'd like the ability to run php or maybe perl scripts.
Last time I checked perl is huge has anyone used their gumstix with perl or php?
I'd prefer php because I've had much better luck but perl would be
able to do what I need to do.

Re: perl or php?

Bruce D. Lightner
Jeff Sadowski wrote:
> I'd like the ability to run php or maybe perl scripts.
> Last time I checked perl is huge has anyone used their gumstix with perl or php?
> I'd prefer php because I've had much better luck but perl would be
> able to do what I need to do.

So called "microperl" compiles (stripped) to 1,309,584 bytes for the
gumstix.  That is a version of Perl5 with no "package" support.  Still
pretty big.

However, if you like Perl4 (like I do), then it is only 334,312 bytes
stripped.  If there is any interest, I'll make it available.

Best regards,

Bruce

--
 Bruce D. Lightner
 Lightner Engineering

Re: perl or php?

Steve Sakoman
The 1.6mb size I quoted is for microperl with some patches to fix syscalls and environment variables as well as enable package support.  Any packages you use will of course add to this size.

Steve