Quantcast

openssl-native compile error

12

Re: Noob: openssl-native compile error?

Neil MacMunn
If you are looking to compile one thing in particular the easiest path
might be to install the cross compiler with aptitude.

 $ sudo apt-get install gcc-arm-linux-gnueabi

Then build your application with

 $ make CROSS_COMPILE=arm-linux-gnueabi-

It would be tedious to put together an entire file system this way so
I would recommend one of the images on cumulus that best meets your
needs.

-
Neil

On Tue, Dec 20, 2011 at 3:24 PM, Chris Dollar <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Is there any reason you can't use an older version of ubuntu? There are some
> known issues with ubuntu 11.10 (and possibly also 11.04?), and afaik the
> "workarounds" that have been posted to the mailing list aren't working for
> everyone. If you can I'd suggest going with ubuntu 10.04 (an LTS release
> that should be supported till 2013 I think) or even 10.10. I've had no
> problems building with either of those distros. 32-bit also seems less
> problematic many times, but personally I've not experienced any issues with
> 64-bit ubuntu 10.04 or 10.10.
>
> I'd say that 32-bit ubuntu 10.04 is your best bet as it will be supported
> for a while by ubuntu and I'm pretty sure this is the version the gumstix
> devs use, so it probably has the fewest bugs when it comes to the bitbake
> process.
>
> I know this isn't a "fix" for your current error, but it may be an easier
> route to go down in the long run.
>
> Chris
>

> On Tue, Dec 20, 2011 at 4:03 PM, FatalError <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> >What distro are your running on your build machine?
>>
>> Versions in current use:
>> Build Configuration:
>> BB_VERSION        = "1.12.0"
>> METADATA_BRANCH   = "overo-2011.03"
>> METADATA_REVISION = "d042ac9"
>> TARGET_ARCH       = "arm"
>> TARGET_OS         = "linux-gnueabi"
>> MACHINE           = "overo"
>> DISTRO            = "angstrom"
>> DISTRO_VERSION    = "2011.03"
>> TARGET_FPU        = "hard"
>>
>> Using window 7 64-bit
>> Oracle VM v4.1.6 r74713
>> Ubuntu 11.10 64-bit

Tobi-Duo for 1gbit avalible?

Kadir BASOL
Hi , is there any tobi duo module avalible for 1gbit ethernet ?

21/12/2011 02:36, Neil MacMunn yazmış:

> If you are looking to compile one thing in particular the easiest path
> might be to install the cross compiler with aptitude.
>
>   $ sudo apt-get install gcc-arm-linux-gnueabi
>
> Then build your application with
>
>   $ make CROSS_COMPILE=arm-linux-gnueabi-
>
> It would be tedious to put together an entire file system this way so
> I would recommend one of the images on cumulus that best meets your
> needs.
>
> -
> Neil
>

> On Tue, Dec 20, 2011 at 3:24 PM, Chris Dollar<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>> Is there any reason you can't use an older version of ubuntu? There are some
>> known issues with ubuntu 11.10 (and possibly also 11.04?), and afaik the
>> "workarounds" that have been posted to the mailing list aren't working for
>> everyone. If you can I'd suggest going with ubuntu 10.04 (an LTS release
>> that should be supported till 2013 I think) or even 10.10. I've had no
>> problems building with either of those distros. 32-bit also seems less
>> problematic many times, but personally I've not experienced any issues with
>> 64-bit ubuntu 10.04 or 10.10.
>>
>> I'd say that 32-bit ubuntu 10.04 is your best bet as it will be supported
>> for a while by ubuntu and I'm pretty sure this is the version the gumstix
>> devs use, so it probably has the fewest bugs when it comes to the bitbake
>> process.
>>
>> I know this isn't a "fix" for your current error, but it may be an easier
>> route to go down in the long run.
>>
>> Chris

>>> Versions in current use:
>>> Build Configuration:
>>> BB_VERSION        = "1.12.0"
>>> METADATA_BRANCH   = "overo-2011.03"
>>> METADATA_REVISION = "d042ac9"
>>> TARGET_ARCH       = "arm"
>>> TARGET_OS         = "linux-gnueabi"
>>> MACHINE           = "overo"
>>> DISTRO            = "angstrom"
>>> DISTRO_VERSION    = "2011.03"
>>> TARGET_FPU        = "hard"
>>>
>>> Using window 7 64-bit
>>> Oracle VM v4.1.6 r74713
>>> Ubuntu 11.10 64-bit

Re: openssl-native compile error

Dave Hylands
Hi Kai,

On Tue, Dec 20, 2011 at 2:20 PM, flyingk <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi all,

I have the same problem on Ubuntu 10.10 (32 bit I think - can't check at the
moment as the office is closed for Christmas) with the latest updates. I had
it working fine until a few weeks ago and then I did a "git pull", which
made some changes to the openssl stuff. Since then it is broken, I cannot
even re-build the console image without that failure. I don't know how to
undo the pull so I am stuck here, too.

You can undo the pull by identtifying the place that you want to backup to and then do:

    git reset --hard <commit>

Note: this will throw away any changes that you may have committed.

A less invasive way would be to setup a new branch at the commit point you want.

     git branch -a

will show you what branches exist, and a * will be beside the current one.

    git checkout -b branch-name <commit>

will create a new branch called "branch-name". If you do git log you'll see that HEAD is now at <commit>

You can switch back to the original branch by making sure your tree is clean (commiting any changes) and then doing

    git checkout <original-branch-name>

(saved from earlier when you did the git branch -a)

--
Dave Hylands
Shuswap, BC, Canada

Re: openssl-native compile error

NRyan54
I also have this exact problem and have searched everywhere for a solution.
I am also using Ubuntu 11.10.
Does anyone know if there be a bug-fix for this issue soon?

Re: openssl-native compile error

Leif Zars
I just reverted back to Ubuntu 10.
It sucks but was the only way I found to fix the issue.

Leif

I also have this exact problem and have searched everywhere for a solution.
I am also using Ubuntu 11.10.
Does anyone know if there be a bug-fix for this issue soon?

Re: openssl-native compile error

NRyan54
I am new to both Gumstix and Ubuntu - is it possible in Ubuntu to perform a downgrade that keeps everything else on the computer the same (without erasing it)?

In general, the idea of downgrading an OS to solve a problem is not a great solution. Do developers subscribe to this list? I'm wondering if the necessary people are aware of the bug and are working on it. Not that it is clear to me if this is a bug with Ubuntu, OE, Gumstix, or OpenSSL but either way - please excuse my newb ignorance.

Re: openssl-native compile error

Leif Zars
I don't think you can downgrade Ubuntu, at least not in a way that would
save you any time.

I believe that this list is primarily made up of Gumstix developers. I think
I read that main OE developers are still on 10, so it could take some time
for someone with the knowledge to get to the fix.

Leif

Re: openssl-native compile error

Jesse Lackey-2
Hello, see the link below to nabble.com, if you can't find that exact
message the contents are also pasted below.  Worth reading the thread.

This worked for me.

I'm trying to keep using ubuntu 11.10, but if I recreate everything I
will likely do it with 10.04 LTS.

> Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2011 09:21:35 -0800 (PST)
> From: NRyan54 <[hidden email]>
> Subject: Re: [Gumstix-users] openssl-native compile error
> To: [hidden email]

> I also have this exact problem and have searched everywhere for a solution.
> I am also using Ubuntu 11.10.
> Does anyone know if there be a bug-fix for this issue soon?

<http://gumstix.8.n6.nabble.com/openssl-native-compile-error-tt630730.html#a2257458>

which says:

I reverted openssl to an older version as a work-around.

PREFERRED_VERSION entries in local.conf didn't work for this.

So I modified this include instead

${OVEROTOP}/org.openembedded.dev/conf/distro/include/angstrom-2008-preferred-versions.inc

-PREFERRED_VERSION_openssl = "1.0.0d"
-PREFERRED_VERSION_openssl-native = "1.0.0d"
+PREFERRED_VERSION_openssl      = "0.9.8m"
+PREFERRED_VERSION_openssl-native = "0.9.8m"

openssl and a complete minimal image that I use now builds on an Ubuntu
11.10 test system. I didn't test any bigger images. YMMV.

Scott

Follow-up

FatalError
The following development environment is working;

Windows 7 64bit
Oracle VirtualBox 64 bit V4.1.6 r74713
Hosting Ubuntu 10.04 LTS- Lucid Lynx (32-bit)
Bitbake  1.12.0
DISTRO_VERSION    "2011.03

Follow setup "Using the Open Embedded Build System for Overo Series": http://www.gumstix.org/software-development/open-embedded/61-using-the-open-embedded-build-system.html

Pay attention to any identified missing packages.

Does not work with Ubuntu 11.10

Good luck and now on to the next issue. :)

Re: Follow-up

beaker
Several months on, this bug still appears to exist. I'm using a 64-bit version of Precise (12.04 LTS) on my laptop and BitBake is still getting upset with openssl. The workaround for me was as one of the previous posters suggested:

Replace these 2 lines:-
PREFERRED_VERSION_openssl = "1.0.0d"
PREFERRED_VERSION_openssl-native = "1.0.0d"

with these 2 lines

In this file:
${OVEROTOP}/org.openembedded.dev/conf/distro/include/angstrom-2008-preferred-versions.inc

Re: Follow-up

Donny3000
I 'm working with Ubuntu 12.04 and had the same problem that everyone has been experiencing with the undefined references.  I found the problem to be an error in the debian.patch patch file.  The patch file erroneously creates an openssl library version symbol:

OPENSSL_0.9.8 {
    global;
        *;
};

When in fact the version symbol should be

OPENSSL_1.0.0 {
    global;
        *;
};

for openssl v1.0.0.  Making this change and commenting out the deceptive libdeps-first.patch patch allow me to compile openssl-native on my Ubuntu 12.04 VM.  I can only think that Ubuntu version later than 10.x exploit this error somehow.  Haven't figured that part out yet.  But, here is my modified debian.patch patch file: debian.patch

Re: Follow-up

dariojcanelons
I am having the same problems above and am deciding on which of the workarounds to apply. I was considering using your way next (I have not yet tried to revert to openssl 0.9.8), but I figure the problem will come up in the future as well, the next time I try to do this. That said, could you point to the location of the debian.patch file? Thank you
12