Quantcast

new overo air does not come up while sd card inserted

123

new overo air does not come up while sd card inserted

Stephan Rosendahl

I got an strange Problem here.

I purchased two Overo Air COMs about 4 Weeks ago. I build a bootable SD Card that

I can boot from, no problem so far.

I then purchased 8 new Overo Air COMs, about 3 weeks later.None of them is able to boot from the SD Card

i mentioned above. As long as the SD card is inserted there is no console output, not even the x-load message.

As soon as the SD card is removed the x-loader comes up and I can boot from nand. The only way to get the COM

Booting from the SD card is to manually run the “mmc init” command followed by the “boot” command. Setting

The mmc init command with setenv does not cure the problem. I always have to manually boot from mmc doing

the “mmc init” thing….

…Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Stephan

------------------------
CONET Solutions GmbH, Theodor-Heuss-Allee 19, 53773 Hennef.
Registergericht/Registration Court: Amtsgericht Siegburg (HRB Nr. 9136)
Geschäftsführer/Managing Directors: Jürgen Zender (Sprecher/Chairman), Anke Höfer
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrates/Chairman of the Supervisory Board: Hans Jürgen Niemeier

CONET Technologies AG, Theodor-Heuss-Allee 19, 53773 Hennef.
Registergericht/Registration Court: Amtsgericht Siegburg (HRB Nr. 10328 )
Vorstand/Member of the Managementboard: Rüdiger Zeyen (Sprecher/Chairman), Wilfried Pütz
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrates/Chairman of the Supervisory Board: Dr. Gerd Jakob

Re: new overo air does not come up while sd card inserted

Bob Cochran
I think you should try to format a second SDHC card with a boot and
rootfs partition. Use a really good quality card like Sandisk -- Steve
Sakoman has done some very interesting tests. I think you should read
his review and follow his suggestions.

When you use an SD card that has a brand new, never-before-booted image
on it, there is a long, long wait for it to configure the system.
Sometimes just waiting for a while (a few minutes to a few hours
depending on the image and what needs configuring) is a good idea.

With that said, I've formatted an SD card erroneously at least one time.
My host laptop could read it, but not the Overo. Fixed it by using fdisk
and doing it all over again. Of course, I had no data on the SD card of
true value to me. So it was no problem to format again and reinstall the
images.

If you are using fdisk from this version of util-linux-ng:

$ fdisk -version
fdisk (util-linux-ng 2.18)

Then you must start fdisk as the root user with these areguments:

# fdisk -c=dos -u=cylinders /dev/sdX

(X resolves to your SD card device)

You might have a bad SD card, or you might have formatted the one you
have incorrectly. Try again with another SD card.

If you have a lot of Overo COMs then you might want to use the
Stagecoach board and network boot them.

https://wiki.linaro.org/MichaelHope/Sandbox/StagecoachBringup

Scott Ellis also makes an excellent case for network booting:

http://www.jumpnowtek.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=48&Itemid=55

Bob Cochran

On 01/12/2011 10:38 AM, Rosendahl, Stephan wrote:

> I got an strange Problem here.
>
> I purchased two Overo Air COMs about 4 Weeks ago. I build a bootable
> SD Card that
>
> I can boot from, no problem so far.
>
> I then purchased 8 new Overo Air COMs, about 3 weeks later.None of
> them is able to boot from the SD Card
>
> i mentioned above. As long as the SD card is inserted there is no
> console output, not even the x-load message.
>
> As soon as the SD card is removed the x-loader comes up and I can boot
> from nand. The only way to get the COM
>
> Booting from the SD card is to manually run the “mmc init” command
> followed by the “boot” command. Setting
>
> The mmc init command with setenv does not cure the problem. I always
> have to manually boot from mmc doing
>
> the “mmc init” thing….
>
> …Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Stephan
>

> ------------------------
> CONET Solutions GmbH, Theodor-Heuss-Allee 19, 53773 Hennef.
> Registergericht/Registration Court: Amtsgericht Siegburg (HRB Nr. 9136)
> Geschäftsführer/Managing Directors: Jürgen Zender (Sprecher/Chairman),
> Anke Höfer
> Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrates/Chairman of the Supervisory Board:
> Hans Jürgen Niemeier
>
> CONET Technologies AG, Theodor-Heuss-Allee 19, 53773 Hennef.
> Registergericht/Registration Court: Amtsgericht Siegburg (HRB Nr. 10328 )
> Vorstand/Member of the Managementboard: Rüdiger Zeyen
> (Sprecher/Chairman), Wilfried Pütz
> Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrates/Chairman of the Supervisory Board: Dr.
> Gerd Jakob

> Protect Your Site and Customers from Malware Attacks
> Learn about various malware tactics and how to avoid them. Understand
> malware threats, the impact they can have on your business, and how you
> can protect your company and customers by using code signing.
> http://p.sf.net/sfu/oracle-sfdevnl

Re: new overo air does not come up while sd card inserted

Stephan Rosendahl
Hi, thanks for your support.

The thing i am wondering about is that i can boot my older older Overo Air COM with any of my bootable SDHC cards (all SD cards
are cards from the gumstix shop!!!).
Only the new ones won't boot when I plug in the power supply while the SDHC card is inserted. I build the bootable SD
Cards as described in the wiki article at gumstix.net. Of course I will reformat the card and try it again, but there has to be
a reason why my new COMs cannot boot from these SD cards. Again, all sd cards are from the gumstix shop!

Stephan Rosendahl

> [...]

http://p.sf.net/sfu/oracle-sfdevnl

------------------------
CONET Solutions GmbH, Theodor-Heuss-Allee 19, 53773 Hennef.
Registergericht/Registration Court: Amtsgericht Siegburg (HRB Nr. 9136)
Geschäftsführer/Managing Directors: Jürgen Zender (Sprecher/Chairman), Anke Höfer
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrates/Chairman of the Supervisory Board: Hans Jürgen Niemeier

CONET Technologies AG, Theodor-Heuss-Allee 19, 53773 Hennef.
Registergericht/Registration Court: Amtsgericht Siegburg (HRB Nr. 10328 )
Vorstand/Member of the Managementboard: Rüdiger Zeyen (Sprecher/Chairman), Wilfried Pütz
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrates/Chairman of the Supervisory Board: Dr. Gerd Jakob

Re: new overo air does not come up while sd card inserted

Alex Gibson-3
On 13/01/2011 7:56 PM, Rosendahl, Stephan wrote:

> Hi, thanks for your support.
>

> The thing i am wondering about is that i can boot my older older Overo Air COM with any of my bootable SDHC cards (all SD cards
> are cards from the gumstix shop!!!).
> Only the new ones won't boot when I plug in the power supply while the SDHC card is inserted. I build the bootable SD
> Cards as described in the wiki article at gumstix.net. Of course I will reformat the card and try it again, but there has to be
> a reason why my new COMs cannot boot from these SD cards. Again, all sd cards are from the gumstix shop!
>
> Stephan Rosendahl

Did you put the files on (MLO , uboot , uImage) in the correct order ?

If you put them on without MLO being first, it won't boot (done that a
few times myself)

All the overos should boot from the same microsd card

Alex

--
UTS CRICOS Provider Code:  00099F
confidential information.  If you are not the intended recipient, do not

Re: new overo air does not come up while sd card inserted

Stephan Rosendahl
Of course i did :) Otherwise my older Overo COM would not boot correctly.

Older Overo Air COM (2x): x-load version 1.4.2, comes up fine when sd card is inserted
Newer Overo Air COMs (8x): x-load version 1.4.4ss, don't come up at all (no x-load message etc.) while same sd card as above is inserted. Have to boot up without sd card, break the boot process, put in the sd card and manually enter "mmc init" and "boot"...

Stephan Rosendahl

On 13/01/2011 7:56 PM, Rosendahl, Stephan wrote:

> Hi, thanks for your support.
>

> The thing i am wondering about is that i can boot my older older Overo
> Air COM with any of my bootable SDHC cards (all SD cards are cards from the gumstix shop!!!).
> Only the new ones won't boot when I plug in the power supply while the
> SDHC card is inserted. I build the bootable SD Cards as described in
> the wiki article at gumstix.net. Of course I will reformat the card and try it again, but there has to be a reason why my new COMs cannot boot from these SD cards. Again, all sd cards are from the gumstix shop!
>
> Stephan Rosendahl

Did you put the files on (MLO , uboot , uImage) in the correct order ?

If you put them on without MLO being first, it won't boot (done that a few times myself)

All the overos should boot from the same microsd card

Alex

--
UTS CRICOS Provider Code:  00099F
DISCLAIMER: This email message and any accompanying attachments may contain confidential information.  If you are not the intended recipient, do not read, use, disseminate, distribute or copy this message or attachments.  If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete this message. Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, except where the sender expressly, and with authority, states them to be the views the University of Technology, Sydney. Before opening any attachments, please check them for viruses and defects.

On 13/01/2011 8:25 PM, Rosendahl, Stephan wrote:
> Of course i did :) Otherwise my older Overo COM would not boot correctly.
>
> Older Overo Air COM (2x): x-load version 1.4.2, comes up fine when sd card is inserted
> Newer Overo Air COMs (8x): x-load version 1.4.4ss, don't come up at all (no x-load message etc.) while same sd card as above is inserted. Have to boot up without sd card, break the boot process, put in the sd card and manually enter "mmc init" and "boot"...
>
> Stephan Rosendahl

same power supply ?

--
UTS CRICOS Provider Code:  00099F
confidential information.  If you are not the intended recipient, do not
read, use, disseminate, distribute or copy this message or attachments.  If
immediately and delete this message. Any views expressed in this message
are those of the individual sender, except where the sender expressly, and
with authority, states them to be the views the University of Technology,
Sydney. Before opening any attachments, please check them for viruses and
defects.

Re: new overo air does not come up while sd card inserted

Stephan Rosendahl
Same power supply, 5V Wall plug from the gumstix shop.

On 13/01/2011 8:25 PM, Rosendahl, Stephan wrote:
> Of course i did :) Otherwise my older Overo COM would not boot correctly.
>
> Older Overo Air COM (2x): x-load version 1.4.2, comes up fine when sd
> card is inserted Newer Overo Air COMs (8x): x-load version 1.4.4ss, don't come up at all (no x-load message etc.) while same sd card as above is inserted. Have to boot up without sd card, break the boot process, put in the sd card and manually enter "mmc init" and "boot"...
>
> Stephan Rosendahl

same power supply ?

On 13/01/2011 8:44 PM, Rosendahl, Stephan wrote:
> Same power supply, 5V Wall plug from the gumstix shop.

Can you try and boot them from a usb microsd card adaptor ?
Not sure if this is possible ???

Are you building your own images or using the pre-built images ?

Alex

--
UTS CRICOS Provider Code:  00099F
confidential information.  If you are not the intended recipient, do not
read, use, disseminate, distribute or copy this message or attachments.  If
immediately and delete this message. Any views expressed in this message
are those of the individual sender, except where the sender expressly, and
with authority, states them to be the views the University of Technology,
Sydney. Before opening any attachments, please check them for viruses and
defects.

Re: new overo air does not come up while sd card inserted

Stephan Rosendahl
I don't have one to test right now. Besides that this ain't the solution I am looking for.

What could be a reason that a new charge of Overo Air COMs (purchased end of dec 2010, x-loader 1.4.4ss)
cannot Boot from a SDHC card that two older Overo Air COMs (purchased about 1.5 month ago, x-loader 1.4.2) can?!?!

On 13/01/2011 9:41 PM, Rosendahl, Stephan wrote:

> I don't have one to test right now. Besides that this ain't the solution I am looking for.
>
> What could be a reason that a new charge of Overo Air COMs (purchased end of dec 2010, x-loader 1.4.4ss)
> cannot Boot from a SDHC card that two older Overo Air COMs (purchased about 1.5 month ago, x-loader 1.4.2) can?!?!

Just trying to think of another way you could boot from an sd card .

The sd card was using pre-built images or your own image build ?

Still a few things you could try and rule out.

Different sd card , program it from a different computer or microsd adaptor.

Possibly something in the newer x-loader causing a problem ?
Re-program the flash and x-loader (maybe try the same older version ?)

Error in the factory programmed x-loader ?

Alex

--
UTS CRICOS Provider Code:  00099F
confidential information.  If you are not the intended recipient, do not
read, use, disseminate, distribute or copy this message or attachments.  If
immediately and delete this message. Any views expressed in this message
are those of the individual sender, except where the sender expressly, and
with authority, states them to be the views the University of Technology,
Sydney. Before opening any attachments, please check them for viruses and
defects.

Re: new overo air does not come up while sd card inserted

Stephan Rosendahl
I am using my own images. They consist of the omap3-console-image plus some additional packages like ppp-oe etc. Nothing special.
I already flashed the onboard NAND with my u-boot and uImage files but that did not cure the problem.

Using the older x-loader sounds interesting. Can you tell me how to flash the onboard NAND with a different x-loader?

Stephan

On 13/01/2011 9:41 PM, Rosendahl, Stephan wrote:

> I don't have one to test right now. Besides that this ain't the solution I am looking for.
>
> What could be a reason that a new charge of Overo Air COMs (purchased
> end of dec 2010, x-loader 1.4.4ss) cannot Boot from a SDHC card that two older Overo Air COMs (purchased about 1.5 month ago, x-loader 1.4.2) can?!?!

Steve Sakoman
On Wed, Jan 12, 2011 at 7:38 AM, Rosendahl, Stephan <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I got an strange Problem here.

Yes, that is a strange problem!

Could you post the complete boot log for a working system (everything
from the x-load banner through the start of linux)?

Steve

Re: new overo air does not come up while sd card inserted

Stephan Rosendahl
Here ist he boot log for one of my Overo Air COMs booting from SDHC card that build step-by-step according tot he
article in the gumstix wiki. This COM was delivered with a x-loader version of 1.4.2 which I flashed to my other COMs
so that I can boot from a bootable SDHC card (x-loader version 1.4.4ss didn't do)

=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~= PuTTY log 2011.01.14 09:14:39 =~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
£tصb$Uü

Texas Instruments X-Loader 1.4.2 (Jan 13 2010 - 06:59:23)
Reading boot sector

U-Boot 2010.09 (Dec 08 2010 - 06:39:29)

OMAP3530-GP ES3.1, CPU-OPP2, L3-165MHz, Max CPU Clock 720 mHz
Gumstix Overo board + LPDDR/NAND
I2C:   ready
DRAM:  128 MiB
NAND:  256 MiB
*** Warning - bad CRC or NAND, using default environment

In:    serial
Out:   serial
Err:   serial
Board revision: 0
Tranceiver detected on mmc2
No EEPROM on expansion board
Die ID #482200040000000004039f220300500e
Net:   smc911x-0
Hit any key to stop autoboot:  5  4  3  2  1  0
mmc1 is available
reading boot.scr

** Unable to read "boot.scr" from mmc 0:1 **
reading uImage

3027892 bytes read
Booting from mmc ...
## Booting kernel from Legacy Image at 82000000 ...
   Image Name:   Angstrom/2.6.34/overo
   Image Type:   ARM Linux Kernel Image (uncompressed)
   Data Size:    3027828 Bytes = 2.9 MiB
   Load Address: 80008000
   Entry Point:  80008000
   Verifying Checksum ... OK
OK

Starting kernel ...

Uncompressing Linux... done, booting the kernel.
Linux version 2.6.34 (sr@ubuntu) (gcc version 4.3.3 (GCC) ) #1 Wed Jan 12 00:28:28 PST 2011
CPU: ARMv7 Processor [411fc083] revision 3 (ARMv7), cr=10c53c7f
CPU: VIPT nonaliasing data cache, VIPT nonaliasing instruction cache
Machine: Gumstix Overo
Memory policy: ECC disabled, Data cache writeback
OMAP3430/3530 ES3.1 (l2cache iva sgx neon isp )
SRAM: Mapped pa 0x40200000 to va 0xfe400000 size: 0x100000
Reserving 12582912 bytes SDRAM for VRAM
Built 1 zonelists in Zone order, mobility grouping on.  Total pages: 32512
Kernel command line: console=ttyS2,115200n8 mpurate=500 vram=12M omapfb.mode=dvi:1024x768MR-16@60 omapfb.debug=y omapdss.def_disp=dvi root=/dev/mmcblk0p2 rw rootfstype=ext3 rootwait
PID hash table entries: 512 (order: -1, 2048 bytes)
Dentry cache hash table entries: 16384 (order: 4, 65536 bytes)
Inode-cache hash table entries: 8192 (order: 3, 32768 bytes)
Memory: 128MB = 128MB total
Memory: 111268k/111268k available, 19804k reserved, 0K highmem
Virtual kernel memory layout:
    vector  : 0xffff0000 - 0xffff1000   (   4 kB)
    fixmap  : 0xfff00000 - 0xfffe0000   ( 896 kB)
    DMA     : 0xffc00000 - 0xffe00000   (   2 MB)
    vmalloc : 0xc8800000 - 0xf8000000   ( 760 MB)
    lowmem  : 0xc0000000 - 0xc8000000   ( 128 MB)
    modules : 0xbf000000 - 0xc0000000   (  16 MB)
      .init : 0xc0008000 - 0xc00f2000   ( 936 kB)
      .text : 0xc00f2000 - 0xc05b1000   (4860 kB)
      .data : 0xc05d4000 - 0xc060f6a0   ( 238 kB)
Hierarchical RCU implementation.
NR_IRQS:402
Clocking rate (Crystal/Core/MPU): 26.0/331/500 MHz
Reprogramming SDRC clock to 331882352 Hz
GPMC revision 5.0
IRQ: Found an INTC at 0xfa200000 (revision 4.0) with 96 interrupts
Total of 96 interrupts on 1 active controller
OMAP GPIO hardware version 2.5
OMAP clockevent source: GPTIMER1 at 32768 Hz
Console: colour dummy device 80x30
Calibrating delay loop... 499.92 BogoMIPS (lpj=1949696)
Mount-cache hash table entries: 512
CPU: Testing write buffer coherency: ok
devtmpfs: initialized
regulator: core version 0.5
NET: Registered protocol family 16
Found NAND on CS0
hw perfevents: enabled with ARMv7 Cortex-A8 PMU driver, 5 counters available
Switched to new clocking rate (Crystal/Core/MPU): 26.0/500/331 MHz
OMAP DMA hardware revision 4.0
bio: create slab <bio-0> at 0
SCSI subsystem initialized
usbcore: registered new interface driver usbfs
usbcore: registered new interface driver hub
usbcore: registered new device driver usb
i2c_omap i2c_omap.1: bus 1 rev3.12 at 2600 kHz
twl4030: PIH (irq 7) chaining IRQs 368..375
twl4030: power (irq 373) chaining IRQs 376..383
twl4030: gpio (irq 368) chaining IRQs 384..401
regulator: VUSB1V5: 1500 mV normal standby
regulator: VUSB1V8: 1800 mV normal standby
regulator: VUSB3V1: 3100 mV normal standby
twl4030_usb twl4030_usb: Initialized TWL4030 USB module
regulator: VMMC1: 1850 <--> 3150 mV at 3000 mV normal standby
regulator: VDAC: 1800 mV normal standby
regulator: VDVI: 1800 mV normal standby
i2c_omap i2c_omap.3: bus 3 rev3.12 at 400 kHz
Bluetooth: Core ver 2.15
NET: Registered protocol family 31
Bluetooth: HCI device and connection manager initialized
Bluetooth: HCI socket layer initialized
cfg80211: Calling CRDA to update world regulatory domain
Switching to clocksource 32k_counter
musb_hdrc: version 6.0, musb-dma, host, debug=0
musb_hdrc musb_hdrc: MUSB HDRC host driver
musb_hdrc musb_hdrc: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 1
usb usb1: New USB device found, idVendor=1d6b, idProduct=0002
usb usb1: New USB device strings: Mfr=3, Product=2, SerialNumber=1
usb usb1: Product: MUSB HDRC host driver
usb usb1: Manufacturer: Linux 2.6.34 musb-hcd
usb usb1: SerialNumber: musb_hdrc
hub 1-0:1.0: USB hub found
hub 1-0:1.0: 1 port detected
musb_hdrc musb_hdrc: USB Host mode controller at fa0ab000 using DMA, IRQ 92
NET: Registered protocol family 2
IP route cache hash table entries: 1024 (order: 0, 4096 bytes)
TCP established hash table entries: 4096 (order: 3, 32768 bytes)
TCP bind hash table entries: 4096 (order: 2, 16384 bytes)
TCP reno registered
UDP hash table entries: 256 (order: 0, 4096 bytes)
UDP-Lite hash table entries: 256 (order: 0, 4096 bytes)
NET: Registered protocol family 1
RPC: Registered udp transport module.
RPC: Registered tcp transport module.
RPC: Registered tcp NFSv4.1 backchannel transport module.
VFS: Disk quotas dquot_6.5.2
Dquot-cache hash table entries: 1024 (order 0, 4096 bytes)
JFFS2 version 2.2. (NAND) (SUMMARY)  Â© 2001-2006 Red Hat, Inc.
msgmni has been set to 217
alg: No test for stdrng (krng)
Block layer SCSI generic (bsg) driver version 0.4 loaded (major 253)
io scheduler noop registered
io scheduler deadline registered
io scheduler cfq registered (default)
OMAP DSS rev 2.0
OMAP DISPC rev 3.0
OMAP VENC rev 2
OMAP DSI rev 1.0
Serial: 8250/16550 driver, 4 ports, IRQ sharing enabled
serial8250.0: ttyS0 at MMIO 0x4806a000 (irq = 72) is a ST16654
serial8250.1: ttyS1 at MMIO 0x4806c000 (irq = 73) is a ST16654
serial8250.2: ttyS2 at MMIO 0x49020000 (irq = 74) is a ST16654
console [ttyS2] enabled
brd: module loaded
loop: module loaded
omap2-nand driver initializing
NAND device: Manufacturer ID: 0x2c, Chip ID: 0xba (Micron NAND 256MiB 1,8V 16-bit)
cmdlinepart partition parsing not available
Creating 5 MTD partitions on "omap2-nand.0":
0x000000000000-0x000000080000 : "xloader"
0x000000080000-0x000000240000 : "uboot"
0x000000240000-0x000000280000 : "uboot environment"
0x000000280000-0x000000680000 : "linux"
0x000000680000-0x000010000000 : "rootfs"
smsc911x: Driver version 2008-10-21.
smsc911x-mdio: probed
eth0: attached PHY driver [Generic PHY] (mii_bus:phy_addr=0:01, irq=-1)
net eth0: MAC Address: 00:15:c9:28:d5:e1
smsc911x: Driver version 2008-10-21.
HDLC support module revision 1.22
usbcore: registered new interface driver cdc_ether
ehci_hcd: USB 2.0 'Enhanced' Host Controller (EHCI) Driver
ehci-omap ehci-omap.0: OMAP-EHCI Host Controller
ehci-omap ehci-omap.0: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 2
ehci-omap ehci-omap.0: irq 77, io mem 0x48064800
ehci-omap ehci-omap.0: USB 2.0 started, EHCI 1.00
usb usb2: New USB device found, idVendor=1d6b, idProduct=0002
usb usb2: New USB device strings: Mfr=3, Product=2, SerialNumber=1
usb usb2: Product: OMAP-EHCI Host Controller
usb usb2: Manufacturer: Linux 2.6.34 ehci_hcd
usb usb2: SerialNumber: ehci-omap.0
hub 2-0:1.0: USB hub found
hub 2-0:1.0: 3 ports detected
Initializing USB Mass Storage driver...
usbcore: registered new interface driver usb-storage
USB Mass Storage support registered.
udc: OMAP UDC driver, version: 4 October 2004 (iso) (dma)
twl_rtc twl_rtc: rtc core: registered twl_rtc as rtc0
twl_rtc twl_rtc: Power up reset detected.
twl_rtc twl_rtc: Enabling TWL-RTC.
i2c /dev entries driver
OMAP Watchdog Timer Rev 0x31: initial timeout 60 sec
twl4030_wdt twl4030_wdt: Failed to register misc device
twl4030_wdt: probe of twl4030_wdt failed with error -16
Bluetooth: HCI UART driver ver 2.2
Bluetooth: HCI H4 protocol initialized
Bluetooth: HCI BCSP protocol initialized
Bluetooth: HCILL protocol initialized
usbcore: registered new interface driver usbhid
usbhid: USB HID core driver
oprofile: using arm/armv7
IPv4 over IPv4 tunneling driver
TCP cubic registered
NET: Registered protocol family 17
NET: Registered protocol family 15
Bluetooth: L2CAP ver 2.14
Bluetooth: L2CAP socket layer initialized
Bluetooth: SCO (Voice Link) ver 0.6
Bluetooth: SCO socket layer initialized
Bluetooth: RFCOMM TTY layer initialized
Bluetooth: RFCOMM socket layer initialized
Bluetooth: RFCOMM ver 1.11
Bluetooth: BNEP (Ethernet Emulation) ver 1.3
Bluetooth: BNEP filters: protocol multicast
Bluetooth: HIDP (Human Interface Emulation) ver 1.2
lib80211: common routines for IEEE802.11 drivers
ThumbEE CPU extension supported.
Power Management for TI OMAP3.
VFP support v0.3: implementor 41 architecture 3 part 30 variant c rev 1
fbcvt: 1024x768@60: CVT Name - .786M3-R
Console: switching to colour frame buffer device 128x48
regulator_init_complete: incomplete constraints, leaving VDAC on
twl_rtc twl_rtc: setting system clock to 2000-01-01 00:00:00 UTC (946684800)
Waiting for root device /dev/mmcblk0p2...
mmc0: host does not support reading read-only switch. assuming write-enable.
mmc0: new high speed SDHC card at address 0001
mmcblk0: mmc0:0001 00000 7.41 GiB
 mmcblk0: p1 p2
mmcblk0: p2 size 15470595 exceeds device capacity, limited to end of disk
mmc1: new SDIO card at address 0001
kjournald starting.  Commit interval 5 seconds
EXT3-fs (mmcblk0p2): using internal journal
EXT3-fs (mmcblk0p2): mounted filesystem with writeback data mode
VFS: Mounted root (ext3 filesystem) on device 179:2.
devtmpfs: mounted
Freeing init memory: 936K

INIT: version 2.86 booting

Please wait: booting...
Starting udev
udev: starting version 151
Remounting root file system...
libertas_sdio: Libertas SDIO driver
libertas_sdio: Copyright Pierre Ossman
libertas_sdio mmc1:0001:1: firmware: requesting sd8686_helper.bin
libertas_sdio mmc1:0001:1: firmware: requesting sd8686.bin
Caching udev devnodes
Populating dev cachetar: dev/.udev/db: file changed as we read it

NET: Registered protocol family 10
libertas: 00:19:88:3e:89:8d, fw 9.70.7p0, cap 0x00000303
libertas: wlan0: Marvell WLAN 802.11 adapter
ALSA: Restoring mixer settings...
Cleaning: /etc/network/run/ifstate.
ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): wlan0: link is not ready
/usr/sbin/alsactl: load_state:1608: No soundcards found...

udevadm settle - timeout of 8 seconds reached, the event queue contains:
  /sys/devices/platform/mmci-omap-hs.1/mmc_host/mmc1/mmc1:0001/mmc1:0001:1/net/wlan0 (607)
Configuring network interfaces... done.
Starting portmap daemon: portmap.
net.ipv4.conf.default.rp_filter = 1
net.ipv4.conf.all.rp_filter = 1
Thu Jan 13 11:49:00 UTC 2011
Turning echo off on /dev/ttyS1

INIT: Entering runlevel: 5

Starting system message bus: dbus.
Starting Hardware abstraction layer hald
ADDRCONF(NETDEV_CHANGE): wlan0: link becomes ready
Starting OpenBSD Secure Shell server: sshd
done.
Starting advanced power management daemon: No APM support in kernel
(failed.)
Starting ntpd: done
Starting OLSR routing protocol daemon: olsr.org

 *** olsr.org - 0.5.5 ***
 Build date: 2010-12-09 02:23:16 on ubuntu
 http://www.olsr.org

Parsing file: "/etc/olsrd.conf"
olsr.org - 0.5.5 detaching from the current process...
done.
Starting syslog-ng:.
 * Starting Avahi mDNS/DNS-SD Daemon: avahi-daemon
[ ok ]
Starting Bluetooth subsystem:
CSR build ID 0x0C-0x5C
Device setup complete
 ttyS1 bluetoothd hid2hci rfcomm.
Waiting for connection on channel 1
Starting gpio...
User Mode GPIO Driver: 1.00
Starting gpio-event...
GPIO Event Monitor 0.1 Compiled: Jan  7 2011 at 06:42:34

.-------.
|       |                  .-.
|   |   |-----.-----.-----.| |   .----..-----.-----.
|       |     | __  |  ---'| '--.|  .-'|     |     |
|   |   |  |  |     |---  ||  --'|  |  |  '  | | | |
'---'---'--'--'--.  |-----''----''--'  '-----'-'-'-'
                -'  |
                '---'

The Angstrom Distribution overo ttyS2

Angstrom 2010.7-test-20101208 overo ttyS2

overo login:

Hope that helps to solve the problem.

Stephan

On Wed, Jan 12, 2011 at 7:38 AM, Rosendahl, Stephan <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I got an strange Problem here.

Yes, that is a strange problem!

Could you post the complete boot log for a working system (everything from the x-load banner through the start of linux)?

Steve

Protect Your Site and Customers from Malware Attacks Learn about various malware tactics and how to avoid them. Understand malware threats, the impact they can have on your business, and how you can protect your company and customers by using code signing.
http://p.sf.net/sfu/oracle-sfdevnl

------------------------
CONET Solutions GmbH, Theodor-Heuss-Allee 19, 53773 Hennef.
Registergericht/Registration Court: Amtsgericht Siegburg (HRB Nr. 9136)
Geschäftsführer/Managing Directors: Jürgen Zender (Sprecher/Chairman), Anke Höfer
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrates/Chairman of the Supervisory Board: Hans Jürgen Niemeier

CONET Technologies AG, Theodor-Heuss-Allee 19, 53773 Hennef.
Registergericht/Registration Court: Amtsgericht Siegburg (HRB Nr. 10328 )
Vorstand/Member of the Managementboard: Rüdiger Zeyen (Sprecher/Chairman), Wilfried Pütz
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrates/Chairman of the Supervisory Board: Dr. Gerd Jakob

Re: new overo air does not come up while sd card inserted

Steve Sakoman
On Fri, Jan 14, 2011 at 12:21 AM, Rosendahl, Stephan
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Here ist he boot log for one of my Overo Air COMs booting from SDHC card that build step-by-step according tot he
> article in the gumstix wiki. This COM was delivered with a x-loader version of 1.4.2 which I flashed to my other COMs
> so that I can boot from a bootable SDHC card (x-loader version 1.4.4ss didn't do)

Thanks!  One thing I am not clear on -- does your bootable SD card
have an MLO on the FAT partition, or are you relying on the one in
NAND?

You will note that only 128MB of RAM is being detected - that is
because you are using an old version of x-load/mlo with a new
u-boot/kernel.

New u-boots rely on x-load to detect and size ram, so you really
should use matched pairs of x-load/mlo and u-boot.  Could you send a
boot log of a setup where you have the most recent mlo/u-boot/kernel
pre-built images on the sd card? Just send any output that you get --
no matter how little.

Steve

Re: new overo air does not come up while sd card inserted

Stephan Rosendahl
My SDHC cards has an MLO on the FAT partition. I build the SDHC card as instructed on the gumstix wiki site, a FAT partition
With MLO, u-boot and uImage and an ext3 partition with the root-fs. I am using (the latest) versions of x-load, u-boot and kernel
After a fresh OE setup. Although the x-load(mlo) version I copied to the fat partition of the SDHC card is
MLO-overo-1.44ss+r17+gitre4b7fb63fe7fe6efbca1adee758cc966161b3b5d-r17, it shows up version 1.4.2 what is the version in nand.
No change in the amount of ram detected.

Here's the output when booting with a newly created sd card using latest x-load, u-boot and kernel versions:

=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~= PuTTY log 2011.01.14 14:28:42 =~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
£tصb$U @

Texas Instruments X-Loader 1.4.2 (Jan 13 2010 - 06:59:23)
Reading boot sector

U-Boot 2010.09 (Jan 13 2011 - 02:23:31)

[...]

Thu Jan 13 13:06:00 UTC 2011
Turning echo off on /dev/ttyS1

INIT: Entering runlevel: 5

Starting system message bus: dbus.
Starting Hardware abstraction layer hald
ADDRCONF(NETDEV_CHANGE): wlan0: link becomes ready
Starting OpenBSD Secure Shell server: sshd
done.
Starting advanced power management daemon: No APM support in kernel
(failed.)
Starting ntpd: done
Starting OLSR routing protocol daemon: olsr.org

 *** olsr.org - 0.5.5 ***
 Build date: 2010-12-09 02:23:16 on ubuntu
 http://www.olsr.org

Parsing file: "/etc/olsrd.conf"
olsr.org - 0.5.5 detaching from the current process...
done.
Starting syslog-ng:.
 * Starting Avahi mDNS/DNS-SD Daemon: avahi-daemon
[ ok ]
Starting Bluetooth subsystem:
CSR build ID 0x0C-0x5C
Device setup complete
 ttyS1 bluetoothd hid2hci rfcomm.
Waiting for connection on channel 1
Starting gpio...
User Mode GPIO Driver: 1.00
Starting gpio-event...
GPIO Event Monitor 0.1 Compiled: Jan  7 2011 at 06:42:34

.-------.
|       |                  .-.
|   |   |-----.-----.-----.| |   .----..-----.-----.
|       |     | __  |  ---'| '--.|  .-'|     |     |
|   |   |  |  |     |---  ||  --'|  |  |  '  | | | |
'---'---'--'--'--.  |-----''----''--'  '-----'-'-'-'
                -'  |
                '---'

On Fri, Jan 14, 2011 at 5:37 AM, Rosendahl, Stephan <[hidden email]> wrote:
> My SDHC cards has an MLO on the FAT partition. I build the SDHC card as instructed on the gumstix wiki site, a FAT partition
> With MLO, u-boot and uImage and an ext3 partition with the root-fs. I am using (the latest) versions of x-load, u-boot and kernel
> After a fresh OE setup. Although the x-load(mlo) version I copied to the fat partition of the SDHC card is
> MLO-overo-1.44ss+r17+gitre4b7fb63fe7fe6efbca1adee758cc966161b3b5d-r17, it shows up version 1.4.2 what is the version in nand.
> No change in the amount of ram detected.

So this clearly is the issue -- for some reason the ROM boot loader
doesn't like your SD card setup and it is using the x-load from nand!

Did you create this sd card from scratch for this experiment, or did
you just copy over the files to an existing bootable SD card?

If the latter, I recommend you create a new card from scratch.  If the
former, then we need to figure out what is wrong with your SD creation
process because the OMAP ROM boot loader clearly doesn't like it!

Steve

Re: new overo air does not come up while sd card inserted

Stephan Rosendahl
I reformatted the SDHC card entirely!!

On Fri, Jan 14, 2011 at 6:00 AM, Rosendahl, Stephan <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I reformatted the SDHC card entirely!!

Then there is something about your process that the ROM bootloader is
having issue with.

At this point you have a couple of options:

1. Figure out how to change your sd card creation process to generate
an acceptable image
2. Flash a more recent x-load into nand so that you get proper memory detection.

I would suggest the former approach, though reflashing x-load isn't a
bad idea, just on principal!

Let me know if you would like help with approach 1.

Steve

Re: new overo air does not come up while sd card inserted

Stephan Rosendahl
If you could provide a manual how to create a proper sd card , that would be really fine.
Until now I created them step-by-step as described here: http://www.gumstix.net/Setup-and-Programming/view/Overo-Setup-and-Programming/Creating-a-bootable-microSD-card/111.html

I also managed to erase the onboard nand on one of my testing COMs that can't boot from sd card, maybe I get I working again with a proper
sd card created the way you describe it.

Thanks in advance,

Stephan

On Fri, Jan 14, 2011 at 6:46 AM, Rosendahl, Stephan <[hidden email]> wrote:
> If you could provide a manual how to create a proper sd card , that would be really fine.
> Until now I created them step-by-step as described here: http://www.gumstix.net/Setup-and-Programming/view/Overo-Setup-and-Programming/Creating-a-bootable-microSD-card/111.html

Well, that *should* work!

Let's try another more automated approach.

I've attached a script that automatically formats and downloads the
files required to create a bootable sd card.

I assume you know what device your sd card mounts as on your
development machine.  On my Ubuntu machine it shows up as /dev/sdc and
that is what I will use in the example below.  Please make sure you
don't specify your development machine's root file system device!
That would be a *very* bad idea :-)

You may need to make the script executable with chmod +x mksdcard.sh

Execute the script with the following parameters:

sudo ./mksdcard /dev/sdc overo console

Note that you must use the sudo prefix (or run as root) in order to
properly create a bootable SD card.  The script will indicate an error
if you do not do so.

The script will then proceed to properly format the SD card, download
the proper images for your board, and then write the images to the
card.  When the script completes it will indicate whether the card
creation was successful or not (and why).

This process can take some time and is highly dependent on the
download speed of your connection.

Remove the card from your development machine and boot your overo with
it.  Let us know how it works!

Steve

> I also managed to erase the onboard nand on one of my testing COMs that can't boot from sd card, maybe I get I working again with a proper
> sd card created the way you describe it.
>

> Thanks in advance,
>
> Stephan

mksdcard.sh (6K) Download Attachment
123