Quantcast

linux-mainline vs. linux-sakoman

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
10 messages Options
gzp
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

linux-mainline vs. linux-sakoman

gzp
Hi,

What is the difference b/n the two kernels (Yocto, meta-gumstix) ?
 I've been using the mainline 3.2 this far but according the the commits, forums. Sakoman has a more gumstix specialized version, is it so ?

Thanks Gzp
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: linux-mainline vs. linux-sakoman

victoraa
Hello,

There are others repository sources for Linux kernel for omap directly in
git.kernel.org.
- Khilman with Power Management performance
http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/khilman/linux-omap-pm.git;a=summary
- Tmlind
http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/tmlind/linux-omap.git;a=summary

These sources are more updated than Sakoman's sources, but I suppose the
Sakoman linux kernel is more specialized for Overo configuration.

I usually use the Sakoman sources, but right now I'm testing to build a
Overo image with these sources. Any advise? Someone that should use them for
Overo?

Thanks,
Víctor Andrés


----- Original Message -----
From: "gzp" <[hidden email]>
To: <[hidden email]>
Sent: Thursday, August 02, 2012 9:52 PM
Subject: [Gumstix-users] linux-mainline vs. linux-sakoman


> Hi,
>
> What is the difference b/n the two kernels (Yocto, meta-gumstix) ?
> I've been using the mainline 3.2 this far but according the the commits,
> forums. Sakoman has a more gumstix specialized version, is it so ?
>
> Thanks Gzp
>
>
>
> --
> View this message in context:
> http://gumstix.8.n6.nabble.com/linux-mainline-vs-linux-sakoman-tp4965049.html
> Sent from the Gumstix mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Live Security Virtual Conference
> Exclusive live event will cover all the ways today's security and
> threat landscape has changed and how IT managers can respond. Discussions
> will include endpoint security, mobile security and the latest in malware
> threats. http://www.accelacomm.com/jaw/sfrnl04242012/114/50122263/
> _______________________________________________
> gumstix-users mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gumstix-users 


------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live Security Virtual Conference
Exclusive live event will cover all the ways today's security and
threat landscape has changed and how IT managers can respond. Discussions
will include endpoint security, mobile security and the latest in malware
threats. http://www.accelacomm.com/jaw/sfrnl04242012/114/50122263/
_______________________________________________
gumstix-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gumstix-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: linux-mainline vs. linux-sakoman

Andreas Müller-2
On Tue, Aug 7, 2012 at 8:40 AM, Victor Andres <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> There are others repository sources for Linux kernel for omap directly in
> git.kernel.org.
> - Khilman with Power Management performance
> http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/khilman/linux-omap-pm.git;a=summary
> - Tmlind
> http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/tmlind/linux-omap.git;a=summary
>
> These sources are more updated than Sakoman's sources, but I suppose the
> Sakoman linux kernel is more specialized for Overo configuration.
>
> I usually use the Sakoman sources, but right now I'm testing to build a
> Overo image with these sources. Any advise? Someone that should use them for
> Overo?
>
> Thanks,
> Víctor Andrés
>
>
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: "gzp" <[hidden email]>
> To: <[hidden email]>
> Sent: Thursday, August 02, 2012 9:52 PM
> Subject: [Gumstix-users] linux-mainline vs. linux-sakoman
>
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> What is the difference b/n the two kernels (Yocto, meta-gumstix) ?
>> I've been using the mainline 3.2 this far but according the the commits,
>> forums. Sakoman has a more gumstix specialized version, is it so ?
>>
>> Thanks Gzp
>>
It is not yet finished yet but there is another linux-omap 3.5 in
meta-gumstix. Up to now I like this one most. Comments & suggestions
welcome

Andreas

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live Security Virtual Conference
Exclusive live event will cover all the ways today's security and
threat landscape has changed and how IT managers can respond. Discussions
will include endpoint security, mobile security and the latest in malware
threats. http://www.accelacomm.com/jaw/sfrnl04242012/114/50122263/
_______________________________________________
gumstix-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gumstix-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: linux-mainline vs. linux-sakoman

victoraa
Hi Andreas, that's great. I'm goint to test it. How do you recomend me to do
that? Do I have to download your repo in org.openembedded.dev and bitbake
your linux-omap_3.5.bb?

At this moment, I'm testing the last commint of the master branch of TMLIND
(a kernel 3.6 revision), the Overo (specially the Omap processor) is much
cooler than in other images I've tried. But at this moment the Wifi is not
running (not recognized) and I'm trying to solve it.
Do you have Wifi in your compilation? I don't know if it's a problem with my
defconfig (with other kernel I don't have problem), a bug or pach I'm not
applying for this revision or it's only configuration problem.

Thanks
Víctor Andrés



----- Original Message -----
From: "Andreas Müller" <[hidden email]>
To: "Victor Andres" <[hidden email]>; "General mailing list for
gumstix users." <[hidden email]>
Sent: Tuesday, August 07, 2012 10:49 AM
Subject: Re: [Gumstix-users] linux-mainline vs. linux-sakoman


On Tue, Aug 7, 2012 at 8:40 AM, Victor Andres <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> There are others repository sources for Linux kernel for omap directly in
> git.kernel.org.
> - Khilman with Power Management performance
> http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/khilman/linux-omap-pm.git;a=summary
> - Tmlind
> http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/tmlind/linux-omap.git;a=summary
>
> These sources are more updated than Sakoman's sources, but I suppose the
> Sakoman linux kernel is more specialized for Overo configuration.
>
> I usually use the Sakoman sources, but right now I'm testing to build a
> Overo image with these sources. Any advise? Someone that should use them
> for
> Overo?
>
> Thanks,
> Víctor Andrés
>
It is not yet finished yet but there is another linux-omap 3.5 in
meta-gumstix. Up to now I like this one most. Comments & suggestions
welcome

Andreas


------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live Security Virtual Conference
Exclusive live event will cover all the ways today's security and
threat landscape has changed and how IT managers can respond. Discussions
will include endpoint security, mobile security and the latest in malware
threats. http://www.accelacomm.com/jaw/sfrnl04242012/114/50122263/
_______________________________________________
gumstix-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gumstix-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: linux-mainline vs. linux-sakoman

Andreas Müller-2
On Tue, Aug 7, 2012 at 12:37 PM, Victor Andres <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Andreas, that's great. I'm goint to test it. How do you recomend me to do
> that? Do I have to download your repo in org.openembedded.dev and bitbake
> your linux-omap_3.5.bb?
It's designed for oe-core/yocto - you need to download and include
into your repo.


> At this moment, I'm testing the last commint of the master branch of TMLIND
> (a kernel 3.6 revision), the Overo (specially the Omap processor) is much
> cooler than in other images I've tried.
LOL TMLIND I am using too but currently somwhere after 3.5rc6+few
patches. Isn't that linux-omap? I did apply latest git, since I saw
some regression mails on the linux-omap malining list.

> But at this moment the Wifi is not
> running (not recognized) and I'm trying to solve it.
> Do you have Wifi in your compilation? I don't know if it's a problem with my
> defconfig (with other kernel I don't have problem), a bug or pach I'm not
> applying for this revision or it's only configuration problem.
WIFI (=WLAN?): wlan0 is recognized and I can do a scan with iw.
Unfortunately networkmanager does say it's not ready. Since there were
many changes the last weeks in oe-core/yocto I am not sure if it is a
kernel problem.

Another issue is suspend: It seems that suspending works fine but I
have not found a way to wake up. If I have 'no_console_suspend=1' in
kernel params, nothing happens when entering whatever to console. Did
you ever wake up from console with success?

Andreas

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live Security Virtual Conference
Exclusive live event will cover all the ways today's security and
threat landscape has changed and how IT managers can respond. Discussions
will include endpoint security, mobile security and the latest in malware
threats. http://www.accelacomm.com/jaw/sfrnl04242012/114/50122263/
_______________________________________________
gumstix-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gumstix-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: linux-mainline vs. linux-sakoman

victoraa

----- Original Message -----
From: "Andreas Müller" <[hidden email]>
To: "Victor Andres" <[hidden email]>
Cc: "General mailing list for gumstix users."
<[hidden email]>
Sent: Tuesday, August 07, 2012 1:10 PM
Subject: Re: [Gumstix-users] linux-mainline vs. linux-sakoman


> On Tue, Aug 7, 2012 at 12:37 PM, Victor Andres <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>> Hi Andreas, that's great. I'm goint to test it. How do you recomend me to
>> do
>> that? Do I have to download your repo in org.openembedded.dev and bitbake
>> your linux-omap_3.5.bb?
> It's designed for oe-core/yocto - you need to download and include
> into your repo.
>
Ok, I'm trying to build it.


>
>> At this moment, I'm testing the last commint of the master branch of
>> TMLIND
>> (a kernel 3.6 revision), the Overo (specially the Omap processor) is much
>> cooler than in other images I've tried.
> LOL TMLIND I am using too but currently somwhere after 3.5rc6+few
> patches. Isn't that linux-omap? I did apply latest git, since I saw
> some regression mails on the linux-omap malining list.

Have you see the power consum with this  image? is it cooler than other
images, isn't it?


>> But at this moment the Wifi is not
>> running (not recognized) and I'm trying to solve it.
>> Do you have Wifi in your compilation? I don't know if it's a problem with
>> my
>> defconfig (with other kernel I don't have problem), a bug or pach I'm not
>> applying for this revision or it's only configuration problem.
> WIFI (=WLAN?): wlan0 is recognized and I can do a scan with iw.
> Unfortunately networkmanager does say it's not ready. Since there were
> many changes the last weeks in oe-core/yocto I am not sure if it is a
> kernel problem.

Yes, in my previus compilation isn't recognized WLAN0. I suppose it's
something in my sources and compilation.

> Another issue is suspend: It seems that suspending works fine but I
> have not found a way to wake up. If I have 'no_console_suspend=1' in
> kernel params, nothing happens when entering whatever to console. Did
> you ever wake up from console with success?
>
> Andreas

Sorry, I've never tried to suspend it. But I'm going to test it.

Thanks,
Víctor Andrés


------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live Security Virtual Conference
Exclusive live event will cover all the ways today's security and
threat landscape has changed and how IT managers can respond. Discussions
will include endpoint security, mobile security and the latest in malware
threats. http://www.accelacomm.com/jaw/sfrnl04242012/114/50122263/
_______________________________________________
gumstix-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gumstix-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: linux-mainline vs. linux-sakoman

dtran11
I am currently testing omap-3.5 from steve's git repository. Doing a system suspend does not work.

       echo mem > /sys/power/state

I also noticed that omap-3.2 also does not suspend. I haven't tried any in between kernel versions. Has anyone had better luck with suspend on the new kernels? I know that 3.0-pm kernel works fine.

thanks.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: linux-mainline vs. linux-sakoman

Steve Sakoman
On Tue, Aug 7, 2012 at 12:22 PM, dtran11 <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I am currently testing omap-3.5 from steve's git repository.

That branch is a work-in-progress and will change often over the next
week or two as I test and fix bugs.

It will also be rebased regularly.

Bug reports are welcome.

Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live Security Virtual Conference
Exclusive live event will cover all the ways today's security and
threat landscape has changed and how IT managers can respond. Discussions
will include endpoint security, mobile security and the latest in malware
threats. http://www.accelacomm.com/jaw/sfrnl04242012/114/50122263/
_______________________________________________
gumstix-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gumstix-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: linux-mainline vs. linux-sakoman

victoraa
I have been using the  Steve Sakoman's repository for 3.2 kernel and it
works very well. But looking for something to reduce the board consume and
temperature (the Omap processor), I've tested the 3.5 from Tmlind repository
and I have detected it cooler than previos compilation. I suppose that there
are some modifications that manage the power better than previos
(configuration of TPS65950) so I'm trying to consolidate a linux-omap image
compilation for this version.

Steve, I'm going to follow your reviews. Thanks you.



----- Original Message -----
From: "Steve Sakoman" <[hidden email]>
To: "General mailing list for gumstix users."
<[hidden email]>
Sent: Wednesday, August 08, 2012 1:21 AM
Subject: Re: [Gumstix-users] linux-mainline vs. linux-sakoman


> On Tue, Aug 7, 2012 at 12:22 PM, dtran11 <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I am currently testing omap-3.5 from steve's git repository.
>
> That branch is a work-in-progress and will change often over the next
> week or two as I test and fix bugs.
>
> It will also be rebased regularly.
>
> Bug reports are welcome.
>
> Steve
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Live Security Virtual Conference
> Exclusive live event will cover all the ways today's security and
> threat landscape has changed and how IT managers can respond. Discussions
> will include endpoint security, mobile security and the latest in malware
> threats. http://www.accelacomm.com/jaw/sfrnl04242012/114/50122263/
> _______________________________________________
> gumstix-users mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gumstix-users 


------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live Security Virtual Conference
Exclusive live event will cover all the ways today's security and
threat landscape has changed and how IT managers can respond. Discussions
will include endpoint security, mobile security and the latest in malware
threats. http://www.accelacomm.com/jaw/sfrnl04242012/114/50122263/
_______________________________________________
gumstix-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gumstix-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: linux-mainline vs. linux-sakoman

Edward Diaz
This post has NOT been accepted by the mailing list yet.
In reply to this post by Steve Sakoman
I have been using the pre compiled development gumstix image. I just realized that the sakoman image is the way to go. Better late than never.

I just read the sakoman pm article on the sakoman website. I was curious did the lowest non cold boot state flush the cache, disable the mmu, and cut power to the caches, then suspend the cpu? The 45ma number seems high?

What is the lowest the sakoman image has gone in a non shutdown mode?

Thanks,
Edward
Loading...