Quantcast

jamvm and classpath on gumstix

OliverMB
Hi,

after spending some days and nights on trying to run java on gumstix,
I'm wondering if anybody out there already had success in doing so.

After trying out the latest jamvm 1.5.0 together with classpath 0.96 and
0.96.1 I switched back to the versions on trunk, hoping that there are
good reasons why the integrator added exactly these versions.

I figured out two reasons:
-the old versions seem to be smaller (this is quite important to stay
within the 16MB flash size)
-the versions seem to fit together (unlike the other versions I've tried
out)

Unfortunately they do not work for me, and it seems, that nobody in any
mailing list I've seen did know a decent solution.

So, is there anybody out there who can help out?

Here is my setup that didn't work:

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/classpath
export
BOOTCLASSPATH=/usr/share/jamvm/classes.zip:/usr/share/classpath/glibj.zip
jamvm -verbose -cp BOOTCLASSPATH -Djava.library.path=LD_LIBRARY_PATH
HelloWorld.class

The output shows, that jamvm uses the classes.zip and glibj.zip
archives,
but then stops with the following error:
[Loaded java/lang/RuntimeException from /usr/share/classpath/glibj.zip]
[Linking class java/lang/RuntimeException]
[Loaded java/lang/NullPointerException
from /usr/share/classpath/glibj.zip]
[Linking class java/lang/NullPointerException]
[Loaded java/lang/ExceptionInInitializerError
from /usr/share/classpath/glibj.zip]
[Linking class java/lang/ExceptionInInitializerError]
Cannot create system class loader
Exception occured while printing exception
(java/lang/NoClassDefFoundError)...
Original exception was java/lang/ExceptionInInitializerError

I already tried to change the make configuration and added --with-jni
This didn't help!

So could someone please give some advice what I've missed?

Thank you!
 Oliver

Re: jamvm and classpath on gumstix

Robert Lougher
OliverMB wrote
Hi,

after spending some days and nights on trying to run java on gumstix,
I'm wondering if anybody out there already had success in doing so.

So, is there anybody out there who can help out?

Here is my setup that didn't work:

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/classpath
export
BOOTCLASSPATH=/usr/share/jamvm/classes.zip:/usr/share/classpath/glibj.zip
jamvm -verbose -cp BOOTCLASSPATH -Djava.library.path=LD_LIBRARY_PATH
HelloWorld.class

So could someone please give some advice what I've missed?

Thank you!
 Oliver
You're on the right track.  Do the following :

1) Find glibj.zip
2) Find classes.zip

e.g.

cd /
find . -name glibj.zip

export BOOTCLASSPATH=<path to classes.zip>:<path to glibj.zip>

3) Find libjavalang.so

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=<directory in which you found libjavalang.so>

4) Run jamvm without any -cp, or -D...

jamvm hello

If I remember, gumstix has JamVM 1.4.2 so this SHOULD work.  If not, try:

This is needed for later versions.  I can't remember if 1.4.2 is before or after the change.

Rob.

P.S.  The problems are caused by the fact that JamVM has been configured to expect the classes/shared libraries in one place, but they are installed somewhere else.

Re: jamvm and classpath on gumstix

Michael Caughey
I hve it working but I set it up last June July.  You migh search the
archives for JamVM.  I believe someone sent me an email helping me out.  I I
set it up and ran some test on it.  I had a multi threaded app that went out
and crawled the internet fr 5 hours.  It didn't do anything witht he data it
just crawled to be doing something.  I was trying to test the JamVM.  I had
20 threads running and it ran great.

> after spending some days and nights on trying to run java on gumstix,
> I'm wondering if anybody out there already had success in doing so.
>
> After trying out the latest jamvm 1.5.0 together with classpath 0.96 and
> 0.96.1 I switched back to the versions on trunk, hoping that there are
> good reasons why the integrator added exactly these versions.
>
> I figured out two reasons:
> -the old versions seem to be smaller (this is quite important to stay
> within the 16MB flash size)
> -the versions seem to fit together (unlike the other versions I've tried
> out)
>
> Unfortunately they do not work for me, and it seems, that nobody in any
> mailing list I've seen did know a decent solution.
>
> So, is there anybody out there who can help out?
>
> Here is my setup that didn't work:
>
> export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/classpath
> export
> BOOTCLASSPATH=/usr/share/jamvm/classes.zip:/usr/share/classpath/glibj.zip
> jamvm -verbose -cp BOOTCLASSPATH -Djava.library.path=LD_LIBRARY_PATH
> HelloWorld.class
>
> The output shows, that jamvm uses the classes.zip and glibj.zip
> archives,
> but then stops with the following error:
> [Loaded java/lang/RuntimeException from /usr/share/classpath/glibj.zip]
> [Linking class java/lang/RuntimeException]
> [Loaded java/lang/NullPointerException
> from /usr/share/classpath/glibj.zip]
> [Linking class java/lang/NullPointerException]
> [Loaded java/lang/ExceptionInInitializerError
> from /usr/share/classpath/glibj.zip]
> [Linking class java/lang/ExceptionInInitializerError]
> Cannot create system class loader
> Exception occured while printing exception
> (java/lang/NoClassDefFoundError)...
> Original exception was java/lang/ExceptionInInitializerError
>
> I already tried to change the make configuration and added --with-jni
> This didn't help!
>
> So could someone please give some advice what I've missed?
>
> Thank you!
> Oliver

Re: jamvm and classpath on gumstix

OliverMB
Hi Rob,

first, thank you for your guidance.
What you write below is exactly what I did before.
So I'm still searching for a solution.

Here is some additional information, where all the needed files are
installed to
(I'm using the default gumstix make files, so the paths are as follows):

The java libraries:
# ls /usr/lib/classpath/
libjavaio.la                 libjavalang.so
libjavalangreflect.so.0      libjavanet.so.0.0.0          libjavautil.la
libjavaio.so                 libjavalang.so.0
libjavalangreflect.so.0.0.0  libjavanio.la                libjavautil.so
libjavaio.so.0               libjavalang.so.0.0.0
libjavanet.la                libjavanio.so
libjavautil.so.0
libjavaio.so.0.0.0           libjavalangreflect.la
libjavanet.so                libjavanio.so.0
libjavautil.so.0.0.0
libjavalang.la               libjavalangreflect.so
libjavanet.so.0              libjavanio.so.0.0.0
# ls /usr/share/jamvm/
classes.zip
# ls /usr/share/classpath/
glibj.zip  tools
# env
HISTFILESIZE=1000
INPUTRC=/etc/inputrc
USER=root
HOSTNAME=gumstix
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/classpath
OLDPWD=/usr/lib/classpath
HOME=/root
PAGER=/bin/more
PS1=#
BOOTCLASSPATH=/usr/share/jamvm/classes.zip:/usr/share/classpath/
glibj.zip
LOGNAME=root
TERM=xterm-color
PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin/X11:/usr/local/bin
DMALLOC_OPTIONS=debug=0x34f47d83,inter=100,log=logfile
HISTSIZE=1000
SHELL=/bin/sh
PWD=/mnt/mmc
EDITOR=/bin/vi
# jamvm HelloWorld
Cannot create system class loader
Exception occured while printing exception (java/lang/
NoClassDefFoundError)...
Original exception was java/lang/ExceptionInInitializerError
#

Here's what I did on gumstix:
# export BOOTCLASSPATH=/usr/share/jamvm/classes.zip:/usr/share/
classpath/glibj.zip
# export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/classpath

# jamvm -version
JamVM version 1.4.2
Copyright (C) 2003-2006 Robert Lougher <[hidden email]>

This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or
modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License
as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2,
or (at your option) any later version.

MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the

# jamvm -verbose HelloWorld
                                                                        or with the same result:
#jamvm -verbose -Xbootclasspath:/usr/share/jamvm/classes.zip:/usr/
share/classpath/glibj.zip -Dgnu.classpath.boot.library.path=/usr/lib/
classpath HelloWorld
                                                                        the complete output is:
[Loaded java/lang/Object from /usr/share/classpath/glibj.zip]
[Linking class java/lang/Object]
[Loaded java/io/Serializable from /usr/share/classpath/glibj.zip]
[Linking class java/io/Serializable]
[Loaded java/lang/Class from /usr/share/classpath/glibj.zip]
[Linking class java/lang/Class]
[Loaded java/lang/Runnable from /usr/share/classpath/glibj.zip]
[Linking class java/lang/Runnable]
[Loaded java/lang/Thread from /usr/share/classpath/glibj.zip]
[Linking class java/lang/Thread]
[Loaded java/lang/VMThread from /usr/share/jamvm/classes.zip]
[Linking class java/lang/VMThread]
[Loaded java/lang/Comparable from /usr/share/classpath/glibj.zip]
[Linking class java/lang/Comparable]
[Loaded java/lang/CharSequence from /usr/share/classpath/glibj.zip]
[Linking class java/lang/CharSequence]
[Loaded java/lang/String from /usr/share/classpath/glibj.zip]
[Linking class java/lang/String]
[Loaded java/lang/Cloneable from /usr/share/classpath/glibj.zip]
[Linking class java/lang/Cloneable]
[Created primitive class char]
[Created array class [C]
[Loaded java/lang/ThreadGroup from /usr/share/classpath/glibj.zip]
[Linking class java/lang/ThreadGroup]
[Loaded java/util/Collection from /usr/share/classpath/glibj.zip]
[Linking class java/util/Collection]
[Loaded java/util/List from /usr/share/classpath/glibj.zip]
[Linking class java/util/List]
[Loaded java/util/RandomAccess from /usr/share/classpath/glibj.zip]
[Linking class java/util/RandomAccess]
[Loaded java/util/AbstractCollection from /usr/share/classpath/
glibj.zip]
[Linking class java/util/AbstractCollection]
[Loaded java/util/AbstractList from /usr/share/classpath/glibj.zip]
[Linking class java/util/AbstractList]
[Loaded java/util/Vector from /usr/share/classpath/glibj.zip]
[Linking class java/util/Vector]
[Created array class [Ljava/lang/Object;]
[Loaded java/lang/StackTraceElement from /usr/share/classpath/glibj.zip]
[Linking class java/lang/StackTraceElement]
[Created array class [Ljava/lang/StackTraceElement;]
[Loaded java/lang/VMThrowable from /usr/share/jamvm/classes.zip]
[Linking class java/lang/VMThrowable]
[Loaded java/lang/Throwable from /usr/share/classpath/glibj.zip]
[Linking class java/lang/Throwable]
[Loaded java/lang/Error from /usr/share/classpath/glibj.zip]
[Linking class java/lang/Error]
[Loaded java/lang/VirtualMachineError from /usr/share/classpath/
glibj.zip]
[Linking class java/lang/VirtualMachineError]
[Loaded java/lang/OutOfMemoryError from /usr/share/classpath/glibj.zip]
[Linking class java/lang/OutOfMemoryError]
[Created primitive class int]
[Created array class [I]
[Loaded java/nio/Buffer from /usr/share/classpath/glibj.zip]
[Linking class java/nio/Buffer]
[Loaded java/nio/ByteBuffer from /usr/share/classpath/glibj.zip]
[Linking class java/nio/ByteBuffer]
[Loaded java/nio/DirectByteBufferImpl from /usr/share/classpath/
glibj.zip]
[Linking class java/nio/DirectByteBufferImpl]
[Loaded gnu/classpath/Pointer from /usr/share/classpath/glibj.zip]
[Linking class gnu/classpath/Pointer]
[Loaded gnu/classpath/Pointer32 from /usr/share/classpath/glibj.zip]
[Linking class gnu/classpath/Pointer32]
[Loaded java/lang/LinkageError from /usr/share/classpath/glibj.zip]
[Linking class java/lang/LinkageError]
[Loaded java/lang/NoClassDefFoundError from /usr/share/classpath/
glibj.zip]
[Linking class java/lang/NoClassDefFoundError]
[Loaded java/lang/ClassFormatError from /usr/share/classpath/glibj.zip]
[Linking class java/lang/ClassFormatError]
[Loaded java/lang/IncompatibleClassChangeError from /usr/share/
classpath/glibj.zip]
[Linking class java/lang/IncompatibleClassChangeError]
[Loaded java/lang/NoSuchFieldError from /usr/share/classpath/glibj.zip]
[Linking class java/lang/NoSuchFieldError]
[Loaded java/lang/NoSuchMethodError from /usr/share/classpath/glibj.zip]
[Linking class java/lang/NoSuchMethodError]
[Loaded java/lang/ClassLoader from /usr/share/classpath/glibj.zip]
[Linking class java/lang/ClassLoader]
[Loaded java/lang/SecurityManager from /usr/share/classpath/glibj.zip]
[Linking class java/lang/SecurityManager]
[Loaded java/lang/ClassLoader$StaticData from /usr/share/classpath/
glibj.zip]
[Linking class java/lang/ClassLoader$StaticData]
[Loaded java/lang/VMClassLoader from /usr/share/jamvm/classes.zip]
[Linking class java/lang/VMClassLoader]
[Loaded java/util/Map from /usr/share/classpath/glibj.zip]
[Linking class java/util/Map]
[Loaded java/util/AbstractMap from /usr/share/classpath/glibj.zip]
[Linking class java/util/AbstractMap]
[Loaded java/util/HashMap from /usr/share/classpath/glibj.zip]
[Linking class java/util/HashMap]
[Loaded java/util/Map$Entry from /usr/share/classpath/glibj.zip]
[Linking class java/util/Map$Entry]
[Loaded java/util/AbstractMap$BasicMapEntry from /usr/share/classpath/
glibj.zip]
[Linking class java/util/AbstractMap$BasicMapEntry]
[Loaded java/util/HashMap$HashEntry from /usr/share/classpath/glibj.zip]
[Linking class java/util/HashMap$HashEntry]
[Created array class [Ljava/util/HashMap$HashEntry;]
[Created array class [Ljava/lang/String;]
[Loaded gnu/classpath/SystemProperties from /usr/share/classpath/
glibj.zip]
[Linking class gnu/classpath/SystemProperties]
[Loaded java/util/Dictionary from /usr/share/classpath/glibj.zip]
[Linking class java/util/Dictionary]
[Loaded java/util/Hashtable from /usr/share/classpath/glibj.zip]
[Linking class java/util/Hashtable]
[Loaded java/util/Properties from /usr/share/classpath/glibj.zip]
[Linking class java/util/Properties]
[Loaded java/util/Hashtable$HashEntry from /usr/share/classpath/
glibj.zip]
[Linking class java/util/Hashtable$HashEntry]
[Created array class [Ljava/util/Hashtable$HashEntry;]
[Loaded gnu/classpath/VMSystemProperties from /usr/share/jamvm/
classes.zip]
[Linking class gnu/classpath/VMSystemProperties]
[Loaded java/util/Comparator from /usr/share/classpath/glibj.zip]
[Linking class java/util/Comparator]
[Loaded java/lang/String$CaseInsensitiveComparator from /usr/share/
classpath/glibj.zip]
[Linking class java/lang/String$CaseInsensitiveComparator]
[Loaded java/lang/StringBuilder from /usr/share/classpath/glibj.zip]
[Linking class java/lang/StringBuilder]
[Loaded java/lang/VMSystem from /usr/share/classpath/glibj.zip]
[Linking class java/lang/VMSystem]
[Loaded java/lang/System from /usr/share/classpath/glibj.zip]
[Linking class java/lang/System]
[Loaded java/io/InputStream from /usr/share/classpath/glibj.zip]
[Linking class java/io/InputStream]
[Loaded java/io/FilterInputStream from /usr/share/classpath/glibj.zip]
[Linking class java/io/FilterInputStream]
[Loaded java/io/BufferedInputStream from /usr/share/classpath/glibj.zip]
[Linking class java/io/BufferedInputStream]
[Loaded java/io/FileInputStream from /usr/share/classpath/glibj.zip]
[Linking class java/io/FileInputStream]
[Loaded java/io/FileDescriptor from /usr/share/classpath/glibj.zip]
[Linking class java/io/FileDescriptor]
[Loaded java/nio/channels/Channel from /usr/share/classpath/glibj.zip]
[Linking class java/nio/channels/Channel]
[Loaded java/nio/channels/ReadableByteChannel from /usr/share/
classpath/glibj.zip]
[Linking class java/nio/channels/ReadableByteChannel]
[Loaded java/nio/channels/WritableByteChannel from /usr/share/
classpath/glibj.zip]
[Linking class java/nio/channels/WritableByteChannel]
[Loaded java/nio/channels/ByteChannel from /usr/share/classpath/
glibj.zip]
[Linking class java/nio/channels/ByteChannel]
[Loaded java/nio/channels/GatheringByteChannel from /usr/share/
classpath/glibj.zip]
[Linking class java/nio/channels/GatheringByteChannel]
[Loaded java/nio/channels/ScatteringByteChannel from /usr/share/
classpath/glibj.zip]
[Linking class java/nio/channels/ScatteringByteChannel]
[Loaded java/nio/channels/InterruptibleChannel from /usr/share/
classpath/glibj.zip]
[Linking class java/nio/channels/InterruptibleChannel]
[Loaded java/nio/channels/spi/AbstractInterruptibleChannel from /usr/
share/classpath/glibj.zip]
[Linking class java/nio/channels/spi/AbstractInterruptibleChannel]
[Loaded java/nio/channels/FileChannel from /usr/share/classpath/
glibj.zip]
[Linking class java/nio/channels/FileChannel]
[Loaded gnu/java/nio/channels/FileChannelImpl from /usr/share/
classpath/glibj.zip]
[Linking class gnu/java/nio/channels/FileChannelImpl]
[Loaded java/lang/Runtime from /usr/share/classpath/glibj.zip]
[Linking class java/lang/Runtime]
[Loaded java/lang/Exception from /usr/share/classpath/glibj.zip]
[Linking class java/lang/Exception]
[Loaded java/lang/RuntimeException from /usr/share/classpath/glibj.zip]
[Linking class java/lang/RuntimeException]
[Loaded java/lang/NullPointerException from /usr/share/classpath/
glibj.zip]
[Linking class java/lang/NullPointerException]
[Loaded java/lang/ExceptionInInitializerError from /usr/share/
classpath/glibj.zip]

Am 07.12.2007 um 21:17 schrieb [hidden email]:

> Hi,
>
> I tried replying to you via nabble, but it seems I know need to be
> subscribed.  Please post to the list for me.
>
> Thanks,
> Rob.

brian_zhou
Oliver Mayer-Buschmann <o-m-b <at> gmx.de> writes:

> Hi,
>
> after spending some days and nights on trying to run java on gumstix,
> I'm wondering if anybody out there already had success in doing so.
>
> After trying out the latest jamvm 1.5.0 together with classpath 0.96 and
> 0.96.1 I switched back to the versions on trunk, hoping that there are
> good reasons why the integrator added exactly these versions.
>
> I figured out two reasons:
> -the old versions seem to be smaller (this is quite important to stay
> within the 16MB flash size)
> -the versions seem to fit together (unlike the other versions I've tried
> out)
>
> Unfortunately they do not work for me, and it seems, that nobody in any
> mailing list I've seen did know a decent solution.
>
> So, is there anybody out there who can help out?

There are jamvm, classpath in this ipkg feed
http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optware/gumstix1151/cross/unstable/

Also worth consideration is phoneme-advanced cvm in the same feed.

See http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Optware/Gumstix on how to setup ipkg.

The optware cross compilation mk files are located at
http://trac.nslu2-linux.org/optware/browser/trunk

- bzhou at nslu2-linux.org

Re: jamvm and classpath on gumstix

adrian cockcroft
The Google Android hackers have managed to get it up and running on a
Sharp Zaurus now, so there is some hope that it could be made to run
on a gumstix, and that would provide a nice Java based development
environment.

Adrian

On Dec 8, 2007 10:00 AM, Brian Zhou <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Oliver Mayer-Buschmann <o-m-b <at> gmx.de> writes:
>

> > Hi,
> >
> > after spending some days and nights on trying to run java on gumstix,
> > I'm wondering if anybody out there already had success in doing so.
> >
> > After trying out the latest jamvm 1.5.0 together with classpath 0.96 and
> > 0.96.1 I switched back to the versions on trunk, hoping that there are
> > good reasons why the integrator added exactly these versions.
> >
> > I figured out two reasons:
> > -the old versions seem to be smaller (this is quite important to stay
> > within the 16MB flash size)
> > -the versions seem to fit together (unlike the other versions I've tried
> > out)
> >
> > Unfortunately they do not work for me, and it seems, that nobody in any
> > mailing list I've seen did know a decent solution.
> >
> > So, is there anybody out there who can help out?
> >

> There are jamvm, classpath in this ipkg feed
> http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optware/gumstix1151/cross/unstable/
>
> Also worth consideration is phoneme-advanced cvm in the same feed.
>
> See http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Optware/Gumstix on how to setup ipkg.
>
> The optware cross compilation mk files are located at
> http://trac.nslu2-linux.org/optware/browser/trunk
>

> - bzhou at nslu2-linux.org

Re: jamvm and classpath on gumstix

Joshua Smith-5
Oliver-

These are the steps that we used to build a file image for the Gumstix (netstix 400xm-cf) that supports Java. We also removed some wireless and bluetooth packages that we're not using to save space. The resulting image contains JamVM 1.4.2 and Classpath .90. That combination supports, some, but not all Java 5 features. Enums and the concurrency packages are not supported. Type-safe collections, basic generics, the enhanced for loop, static imports, StringBuilder, autoboxing and unboxing, var args and annotations are supported.

The steps below were used on a Red Hat AS 4 host with Jikes 1.22. The following packages were installed to support Jikes: compat-libstdc++-296-2.96-132.7.2.i386.rpm and jikes-1.22-1.i586.rpm

1.    Create a directory to work in ( e.g. tempBuildRoot)
mkdir tempBuildRoot

2.    Change into that directory
cd tempBuildRoot

3.    Check out BuildRoot from Subversion
svn co -r1089 http://svn.gumstix.com/gumstix-buildroot/trunk gumstix-buildroot

4.    Launch the configuration tool. Use the arrow keys for selection, the space bar for toggle and the Enter key for input when using the configuration tool.
    make menuconfig

5.    Select "Package Selection for the target" using the arrow keys and hit Enter.

6.    Deselect the following packages:
        bluez
        wifistix
        wirelesstools

7.    Select the following packages:
        classpath
        jamvm
        zlib headers in target

8.    Select Exit.

9.    Select Exit again.

10.    Select Yes when prompted about saving your new Buildroot configuration.

11.    Fix classpath so that it will build with Jikes. Otherwise there will be a segmentation fault.  Do this by editting package/classpath/classpath.mk using vi (or your favorite editor) and modifying it so that it will build with Jikes. If you skip this step there will be a segmentation fault during the build process.
Find the section with all the configuration options (specifically the line that looks like this):
--disable-gtk-peer \
And add a line that follows it that looks like this
--with-jikes \

12.    Save the file and exit your editor.

13.    Build the file system image.
    make

14.    This results in a rootfs.arm_nofpu.jffs2 file being created. This is suitable for flashing to the Gumstix.

Hope that helps,
Joshua Smith

Re: jamvm and classpath on gumstix

OliverMB
Thank you Josh!

--with-jikes
in classpath.mk

did jamvm work on gumstix !!!! :-)

Re: jamvm and classpath on gumstix

Joshua Smith-5
Glad to help guys! :-)

I'll look forward to those beers. Doppelbock is one of my favorites. :-)

Josh

On Dec 10, 2007 2:38 PM, Oliver Mayer-Buschmann <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thank you Josh!

--with-jikes
in classpath.mk

did jamvm work on gumstix !!!! :-)

Re: jamvm and classpath on gumstix

Robert Dodier
Administrator
OliverMB wrote
After trying out the latest jamvm 1.5.0 together with classpath 0.96 and
0.96.1 I switched back to the versions on trunk, hoping that there are
good reasons why the integrator added exactly these versions.

I figured out two reasons:
-the old versions seem to be smaller (this is quite important to stay
within the 16MB flash size)
-the versions seem to fit together (unlike the other versions I've tried
out)
Oliver, I have tried many combinations of JamVM + Classpath. My advice
is to use the most recent versions of both (JamVM 1.5.0 + Classpath 0.96.1).
I ran into various problems with most (maybe all) other combinations.

Classpath 0.96.1 is bigger than previous versions. If you need to make it
fit into 16 Mb, you could erase some of the Classpath stuff. I don't need
any of the graphics stuff, so I erased all awt and swing packages and then
repacked glibj.zip. Yes, that's painful, isn't it? I think I mentioned that I
have had a lot of trouble with JamVM and/or Classpath.
If you can spare the money, consider buying a Gumstix with more memory.

HTH

Robert Dodier