Quantcast

i2c or SPI, easier ?

zudil
which one, i2c or SPI, is easier to use in gumstix (overo fire)? I looked for SPI and it looks like I need to enable SPI by re-configuring using OE. A simpler step by step guide or example to be very helpful.

Re: i2c or SPI, easier ?

Danny Chan
Scott Ellis has a good guide for SPI on a Gumstix. You need to reconfigure your kernel to exclude the touchscreen SPI drivers (which can be a pain, especially if you've never done it before), insert your new SPI module, and run that.

http://www.jumpnowtek.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=57:gumstix-spi-driver-part1&catid=35:gumstix&Itemid=62

I2C is pretty straight forward. It uses ioctl and read/write commands. This one takes far less time due to the lack of need to make a new kernel.

http://wiki.gumstix.org/index.php?title=Category:How_to_-_i2c

Re: i2c or SPI, easier ?

Alex Gibson-3
On 24/04/2012 3:32 AM, zudil wrote:
> which one, i2c or SPI, is easier to use in gumstix (overo fire)? I looked for
> SPI and it looks like I need to enable SPI by re-configuring using OE. A
> simpler step by step guide or example to be very helpful.

i2c is faster to get going.

See Scotts pages on i2c and spi
http://www.jumpnowtek.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=69&Itemid=78

quickest way

1. set i2c bus speed via u-boot

2. connect level shifter/s between gumstix and sensors/boards

3. run your program

Probably take around an hour the first time.

Alex