Quantcast

how to emulate NAND device with Qemu for Overo?

how to emulate NAND device with Qemu for Overo?

tuxnoel
I have an Overo Firestrom board with 512MB NAND (Micron NAND 512 MiB 1.8V 16-bit) and would like to do some software development work on NAND without actually having the board. So i opted for QEMU for Overo board and am following the instructions in this page
http://wiki.gumstix.org/index.php?title=Gumstix_Emulation_for_QEMU
for it.

However i could not figure out how to emulate the nand device similar to creation of the SD  card image given on same page
http://wiki.gumstix.org/index.php?title=Overo_qemu_script

Is it possible to have 512MB NAND device under  emulation which is writable?

Re: how to emulate NAND device with Qemu for Overo?

tuxnoel
can the bb_nandflash.sh used in this page be used to generate such a NAND device for Overo board ??

http://beagleboard.lohray.com/vm-larix/setting-up-an-emulator/qemu-emulation

Re: how to emulate NAND device with Qemu for Overo?

tuxnoel
nand writing seems to work using the u-boot utilities under hush but gets set at nand write stage when using Angstrom's mtdutils. could this be a ECC related isssue ? is there similar utility like nandecc for u-boot in Linux?
Any help would be appreciated.

Re: how to emulate NAND device with Qemu for Overo?

William Bryan
From what I understand, you want to create a virtual block device that you can use as a virtual NAND device, such as an SD card, correct?

If so, this discussion looks like it could be relevant to your needs:

Regards, Will

On Jun 19, 2013, at 4:15 AM, tuxnoel <[hidden email]> wrote:

I have an Overo Firestrom board with 512MB NAND (Micron NAND 512 MiB 1.8V
16-bit) and would like to do some software development work on NAND without
actually having the board. So i opted for QEMU for Overo board and am
following the instructions in this page
http://wiki.gumstix.org/index.php?title=Gumstix_Emulation_for_QEMU
for it.

However i could not figure out how to emulate the nand device similar to
creation of the SD  card image given on same page
http://wiki.gumstix.org/index.php?title=Overo_qemu_script

Is it possible to have 512MB NAND device under  emulation which is writable?

Re: how to emulate NAND device with Qemu for Overo?

tuxnoel
Thanks for replying.
Actually i have SD card device already setup and working. I wanted to emulate an mtdblock device for the onboard NAND of Overo firestrom of 512MB size. I managed to have a 256MB device setup using beagleboard example (link above) but not able to write to this device using qemu from linaro for Overo board. The writing is happening from u-boot though. Also the size of device is stuck at 256 MB even though i create a 512MB device using modified bb_nandflash.sh