hardware accelerated codecs for Gumstix DuoVero Zephyr-Y

hardware accelerated codecs for Gumstix DuoVero Zephyr-Y

Leon Woestenberg
Hello all,

we have ported Ubuntu 12.04 LTS to DuoVero Zephyr-Y, to achieve hardware accelerated video encoding/decoding on the DuoVero Zephyr (GUM4430Y). Specifically 1080p H.264 encoding was tested over a RTP stream over WiFi to a VideoLAN client on an iPhone.

This uses the TI PPA for Ubuntu 12.04 ARM which was made available by TI, but only with a kernel for Pandaboard. Included is the Ducati range of hardware accelerated codecs. We are not aware of any hardware acceleration support on upstream releases (please inform us).

The end result is a Ubuntu 12.04 kernel, along with the most recent kernel WiFi stack and TI WiLink8 drivers backport, with the Ubuntu Core 12.04.3 userspace, TI PPA with hardware acceleration, as well as PMIC true power-off and power-button support.

Our customer has been so kind to allow us to release this into the public if there is interest in the community or by customers. Is there?

Regards,

Leon Woestenberg

Re: hardware accelerated codecs for Gumstix DuoVero Zephyr-Y

Akram Hameed
Nice work!

I personally have no need for these specific changes, but if you have the go-ahead to release, please do so! I am sure there are many in the community who would appreciate the hard work you have put in, I recall quite a few people have wanted hardware accelerated video encoding in the past.

Cheers,

Akram

On Tue, May 31, 2016 at 7:11 AM, Leon Woestenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Andrew C. Smith
That's awesome.  I too would love to try this out.

Gumstix definitely encourages users to share what they can so everyone can benefit and learn.  We appreciate your hard work and willingness to advance the current state.

Thanks,

Andrew

Re: hardware accelerated codecs for Gumstix DuoVero Zephyr-Y

Leon Woestenberg

Andrew,

I will make it available for download, in form of SD card image as well as patches and build scripts.

Regards,

Leon

> On 31 mei 2016, at 02:06, Andrew C. Smith <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> That's awesome.  I too would love to try this out.
>
> Gumstix definitely encourages users to share what they can so everyone can
> benefit and learn.  We appreciate your hard work and willingness to advance
> the current state.
>

> Thanks,
>
> Andrew

Re: hardware accelerated codecs for Gumstix DuoVero Zephyr-Y

Leon Woestenberg
Hello all,

as I got a few requests for this, I put up the port.

Everything is included to run Ubuntu 12.04 LTS (Core or full) on DuoVero Zephyr-Y, to achieve hardware accelerated video encoding/decoding on the DuoVero Zephyr (GUM4430Y). Specifically 1080p H.264 encoding was tested over a RTP stream over WiFi (WiLink8) to a VideoLAN client on an iPhone.

Full support is only available commercially, on request. But everything is here GPL wise, including build scripts and instructions, although they are mainly my mental notes, not documentation.

https://sidebranch.stackstorage.com/index.php/s/nILBXlJBOrxyi0d

Thanks to my customer to allow to share the effort. Please do not bother my customer with questions for community support. Thank you.

Have fun, regards,

Leon.

--
Leon Woestenberg