gumstix and local DNS from wireless router

gumstix and local DNS from wireless router

Robert Dodier
Administrator
Hello, not a gumstix question per se but maybe someone can help me all the same.

I have some Verdex boards which I would like to get talking to each other
in a local network. If numerical ip addresses are used, they can communicate,
no problem there. However the numerical addresses may change, so I'd
like to see if I can get the wireless router (Ativa) to act as a DNS server
for them. The gumstix don't need to resolve any host names other than
for the other gumstix on the router's local network.

Can someone give any advice about this? Any advice, even if generic and
not specific to the Ativa router, would be appreciated. I suppose I need
to edit /etc/resolv.conf on the gumstix, and set something on the router.
I read the router's user manual but I can't find the info, or I don't understand.

Thanks for your help,

Robert Dodier

Re: gumstix and local DNS from wireless router

mike2323
Hi Robert,

I use DD-WRT on a Linksys WRT54G with my gumstix.  It's firmware that can be downloaded to your router.  Once there, you can enable DNSMasq to get local DNS services from the router.  Unfortunately I didn't see Ativa on the supported router list.  If you go to dd-wrt.com, they have a database of supported routers along with the binaries and instructions for updating the router's firmware.

It's been a while, so I can't remember doing anything other than adding a hostname line to the /etc/network/interfaces file to enable it on the gumstix.

I hope this helps.

- Mike Miller

Robert Dodier wrote
Hello, not a gumstix question per se but maybe someone can help me all the same.

I have some Verdex boards which I would like to get talking to each other
in a local network. If numerical ip addresses are used, they can communicate,
no problem there. However the numerical addresses may change, so I'd
like to see if I can get the wireless router (Ativa) to act as a DNS server
for them. The gumstix don't need to resolve any host names other than
for the other gumstix on the router's local network.

Can someone give any advice about this? Any advice, even if generic and
not specific to the Ativa router, would be appreciated. I suppose I need
to edit /etc/resolv.conf on the gumstix, and set something on the router.
I read the router's user manual but I can't find the info, or I don't understand.

Thanks for your help,

Robert Dodier

Re: gumstix and local DNS from wireless router

Zach White-4
On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 12:00 PM, Robert Dodier <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I have some Verdex boards which I would like to get talking to each other
> in a local network. If numerical ip addresses are used, they can
> communicate,
> no problem there. However the numerical addresses may change, so I'd
> like to see if I can get the wireless router (Ativa) to act as a DNS server
> for them. The gumstix don't need to resolve any host names other than
> for the other gumstix on the router's local network.

This sounds like a perfect job for mDNS (Also known by apple's
Bonjour/Rendezvous name.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zeroconf#Service_discovery

You'll need to setup Avahi and nss-mdns to use this. Avahi will answer
mDNS requests sent by other machines, and nss-mdns will enable your
device to ask other machines for their hostname.

http://avahi.org/

http://0pointer.de/lennart/projects/nss-mdns/

I've only used this in my home network on my linux DVR machine, but it
works really well there. It should work just as well for your
application. Plus, it doesn't require any special support from your
router, only the ability to send and receive multicast packets.

-Zach

-Zach

Re: gumstix and local DNS from wireless router

hypo
hi Robert,

came across your post when searching for something else... so don't know if this is still relevant, but here goes nothing :)

it depends on what you're trying to do... if you only want to do this one time for your system, then you could ensure that the gumstix boards get the same ip address each time: you could either give them static ip addresses on a subnet not managed by your router, or instruct your router to give each of your gumstix a fixed ip address each time they DHCP.

i use the latter approach and it works fairly well. however, if you want anything more dynamic (e.g. more stix leaving and entering the network) then mDNS approach suggested by Zach here should be good. it is definitely more scalable!

hth,
hypo

Robert Dodier wrote