Quantcast

gles and dsp support in the official yocto layer

gzp

gles and dsp support in the official yocto layer

gzp

I was so happy to find the official yocto layer, but I was turned down quite fast. I could not find the opengl es related pakages nor any reference to the meta-ti layer.

I've tried to add it manually but bitbake produced some error  (and stopped) Is it supported officially or is there any plan ?

Thanks Gzp

Re: gles and dsp support in the official yocto layer

adam
Getting SGX is definitely on our to-do list. It has been on our high priority list for a while actually.
I hope to get it working soon (as in within a couple weeks from today).

Adam

gzp

Re: gles and dsp support in the official yocto layer

gzp
This post was updated on .
Adam, FYI:

I've managed to compile and package the gles module based on your official yocot project. The device was not with me, so I had no chance to test it.

First I've followed the steps described here to get the meta-ti + dsp linked
Than I've applied most of the patches (on omap3-sgx-moules) from here

And than the bitbake libgles-omap3 worked just fine

(the patches were applied manually and compile using the run.do_compile.*, but I think patching through bb would not be a problem either)

Regards GZP

gzp

Re: gles and dsp support in the official yocto layer

gzp
Is there any progress in the official yocto + gles (dsp) support ?
Thanks gzp
gzp

Re: gles and dsp support in the official yocto layer

gzp
Dear Gumstix,

How is that you cannot create an OS distribution that supports your hardware with all its features ? There are other devices on the market with all kind of distros. Ex. the new raspberry PI (though I doubt if the device is as good/fast as it is said), it has just came out and has at least 2,3 completely different WORKING! distro. Or the pandaboard which really rocks. (It has WORKING Android ics as well). etc.

At first your device was promising, but actually it is just a junk on the shelf.  There are some guys out there, making a great job (thanks Sakoman, Pansenti, and the others). But as I see, they are NOT part of the gumstix org, and once they say bye, there will be no OS.

It is great that they were able to create all kind of hacks to get some of the features working, but why don't YOU guys at the gumstix do this job? If you can't, hire someone who knows more about embedded linux kernel and oe. It's good to have the community, but don't wait for them to do your job. It's good that if they fix some bugs for you or port other packages (like gnome, xorg, etc), but a (stable) kernel and driver set shall be a base for them. It's so annoying that, instead of working on the real project I have to hack and read lot's of forums to get anything working. I've really-really regretted that I choose your device. The HW might be good, but the provided SW is a ZERO.

Re: gles and dsp support in the official yocto layer

adam
Good evening gzp.

First and foremost I apologize for not promptly responding to your earlier post.
As of the state of SGX, I am sorry to let you know that there has not been much progress. There are a number of things that need to be aligned for this to work (such as driver binaries/source, compatible kernel, user space modules and etc) and quite frankly I haven't had the time to sit down and really dig into it. My apologies and I understand your frustration.
And as per the lack of software support, it is my understanding that our hardware is sold as-is (I am not familiar with the exact legal terms).  However, at the moment yes we do feel your concern and (although it's not happening fast enough) we are trying to deliver software that can best utilize our hardware.

Adam

On Sun, Dec 30, 2012 at 4:41 PM, gzp <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

William Bryan
Anonymous,

The first person you thank in your email (Steve Sakoman) is the head of software development at Gumstix, so the people who are doing a "great job" who could go "bye" are also the people running the company.

The great thing about this piece of hardware, and Linux for that matter, is that it is community based and open source. You are not purchasing an iPhone with full technical support; you're purchasing a developmental product. The rest is in your hands.

--Will

On Dec 30, 2012, at 6:41 PM, gzp <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear Gumstix,
>
> How is that you cannot create an OS distribution that supports your hardware
> with all its features ? There are other devices on the market with all kind
> of distros. Ex. the new raspberry PI (though I doubt if the device is as
> good/fast as it is said), it has just came out and has at least 2,3
> completely different WORKING! distro. Or the pandaboard which really rocks.
> (It has WORKING Android ics as well). etc.
>
> At first your device was promising, but actually it is just a junk on the
> shelf.  There are some guys out there, making a great job (thanks Sakoman,
> Pansenti, and the others). But as I see, they are NOT part of the gumstix
> org, and once they say bye, there will be no OS.
>
> It is great that they were able to create all kind of hacks to get some of
> the features working, but why don't YOU guys at the gumstix do this job? If
> you can't, hire someone who knows more about embedded linux kernel and oe.
> It's good to have the community, but don't wait for them to do your job.
> It's good that if they fix some bugs for you or port other packages (like
> gnome, xorg, etc), but a (stable) kernel and driver set shall be a base for
> them. It's so annoying that, instead of working on the real project I have
> to hack and read lot's of forums to get anything working. I've really-really
> regretted that I choose your device. The HW might be good, but the provided
> SW is a ZERO.

Re: gles and dsp support in the official yocto layer

Steve Sakoman
On Sun, Dec 30, 2012 at 11:41 PM, William Bryan
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> The first person you thank in your email (Steve Sakoman) is the head of software development at Gumstix, so the people who are doing a "great job" who could go "bye" are also the people running the company.

Ummm . . . no, this is not so.  I know that there are a few places on
the web that state this, but they are wrong!

I am not and have never been a Gumstix employee.  I have my own
design/consulting firm, Sakoman Inc.

Gumstix is a client.  Not my only client, and not my main source of
revenue.  I primarily do boot loader and kernel work for Gumstix, and
occasionally help with board debug on new products.

Just want to set the record straight.

Steve

Re: gles and dsp support in the official yocto layer

gmullin
I also am getting fed up with gumstix and am looking at other boards.

On Sun, 30 Dec 2012 16:41:41 -0800 (PST), gzp <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Dear Gumstix,
>
> How is that you cannot create an OS distribution that supports your
> hardware
> with all its features ? There are other devices on the market with all
kind
> of distros. Ex. the new raspberry PI (though I doubt if the device is as
> good/fast as it is said), it has just came out and has at least 2,3
> completely different WORKING! distro. Or the pandaboard which really
rocks.
> (It has WORKING Android ics as well). etc.
>
> At first your device was promising, but actually it is just a junk on the
> shelf.  There are some guys out there, making a great job (thanks
Sakoman,
> Pansenti, and the others). But as I see, they are NOT part of the gumstix
> org, and once they say bye, there will be no OS.
>
> It is great that they were able to create all kind of hacks to get some
of
> the features working, but why don't YOU guys at the gumstix do this job?
If
> you can't, hire someone who knows more about embedded linux kernel and
oe.
> It's good to have the community, but don't wait for them to do your job.
> It's good that if they fix some bugs for you or port other packages (like
> gnome, xorg, etc), but a (stable) kernel and driver set shall be a base
for
> them. It's so annoying that, instead of working on the real project I
have
> to hack and read lot's of forums to get anything working. I've
> really-really
> regretted that I choose your device. The HW might be good, but the
provided
> SW is a ZERO.

Re: gles and dsp support in the official yocto layer

+100000 from me as well.

Worst company support I have found so far with making sure there is at
least a fully functioning OS that actually does everything the board is
suppose to. It has been this way for years and I doubt will ever change.
I always recommend picking some other hardware for anyone that asks my
about my gumstix experience.  I started using the boards in 09 roughly
and it has been off an on support of "features" that would regularly
break making you freeze a very out of date OS to keep the device
functioning, but never able to do everything the device claims at once.
The vast majority of end users though can not get it working 100%
consistently

On 12/31/2012 12:26 PM, [hidden email] wrote:

> I also am getting fed up with gumstix and am looking at other boards.
>

> On Sun, 30 Dec 2012 16:41:41 -0800 (PST), gzp <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Dear Gumstix,
>>
>> How is that you cannot create an OS distribution that supports your
>> hardware
>> with all its features ? There are other devices on the market with all
> kind
>> of distros. Ex. the new raspberry PI (though I doubt if the device is as
>> good/fast as it is said), it has just came out and has at least 2,3
>> completely different WORKING! distro. Or the pandaboard which really
> rocks.
>> (It has WORKING Android ics as well). etc.
>>
>> At first your device was promising, but actually it is just a junk on the
>> shelf.  There are some guys out there, making a great job (thanks
> Sakoman,
>> Pansenti, and the others). But as I see, they are NOT part of the gumstix
>> org, and once they say bye, there will be no OS.
>>
>> It is great that they were able to create all kind of hacks to get some
> of
>> the features working, but why don't YOU guys at the gumstix do this job?
> If
>> you can't, hire someone who knows more about embedded linux kernel and
> oe.
>> It's good to have the community, but don't wait for them to do your job.
>> It's good that if they fix some bugs for you or port other packages (like
>> gnome, xorg, etc), but a (stable) kernel and driver set shall be a base
> for
>> them. It's so annoying that, instead of working on the real project I
> have
>> to hack and read lot's of forums to get anything working. I've
>> really-really
>> regretted that I choose your device. The HW might be good, but the
> provided
>> SW is a ZERO.

Re: gles and dsp support in the official yocto layer

Elvis Dowson-2
       I've used the Gumstix boards for more than 3 years now.

On Jan 1, 2013, at 12:26 AM, <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I also am getting fed up with gumstix and am looking at other boards.

The gumstix boards at its core, are close to the BeagleBoard and possibly Pandaboard
reference designs from TI, for the newer DuOvero series.

TI publishes all the supporting material for their technical reference designs, including
software and drivers for the BeagleBoard and Pandaboard reference designs.

The linux kernel is a continuously moving target, and as such, if you attempt to use
Yocto or OpenEmbedded to build the toolchain, boot loaders and kernel, there is
bound to be some incompatibility with third party supplied software and drivers.

So, if you're on the bleeding edge, you should be prepared or skill enough to adapt
stuff from various sources, especially the TI software and drivers, to get your board
up and running.

I think the gumstix boards are great, they were first in class when the launched the
Overo series, and have a great set of expansion boards.

If you can't adapt a Beagleboard or Pandaboard reference design deliverables to
match that of the Overo, chances are you're not going to be able to fix things if
something were to go wrong with an original Beagleboard or Pandaboard reference
design. The adaptations for the Overo are minor, mostly related to x-load, u-boot and
the kernel.

The rest of the driver stuff like gles and dsp support is the same for the TI reference
designs and the Overo.

Best regards,

Elvis Dowson
gzp

Re: gles and dsp support in the official yocto layer

gzp

> I think the gumstix boards are great, they were first in class when the launched the
> Overo series, and have a great set of expansion boards.

I don't doubt it. This was one of the reason I've chosen them in the first place. The HW looked great, thought I'm not a HW designer and had no problem with that at all. My major and only complaint is the SW support.

> The rest of the driver stuff like gles and dsp support is the same for the TI reference
> designs and the Overo.

If it is so, why does it takes so long to make it officially working ?

And one more note: kernel 3.2 does not seems to be such a bleeding edge OS. It's almost a year old.

Regards, Gzp.

Re: gles and dsp support in the official yocto layer

Peter A. Bigot
Gumstix isn't the only vendor with this issue.  About every six months I
decide to do something with my BeagleBoard-xM, and I then spend a day or
two fixing the current upstream to support the ULCD7 touch display.  By
the time it's working again I'm burned out or have to move to other
projects.

Yesterday was gumstix's turn, and I'm providing a start for the folks at
Gumstix to leverage.

git:github.com/pabigot/meta-gumstix.git branch denzil fixes a
udev/systemd conflict with yocto's current denzil branch, and adds DSP
fixes derived from Chris Whittenburg's "Sleepy Robot" instructions
(http://www.sleepyrobot.com/?p=210).

git:github.com/pabigot/meta-ti.git branch denzil fixes the
omap3-sgx-modules given clues from the link provided by GZP on
2012-11-11.  Branch danny also has this fix, and another which fixes a
packaging issue with gstreamer-ti. I'll be pushing the gstreamer-ti
patch upstream; the omap3-sgx-modules fix is a hack and should be done a
different way I don't have time for now.

Note: Although I hate it when branches get rebased, I don't maintain any
of these layers, so the contents of my clones will be periodically
rebased relative to upstream.  Caveat emptor.

I've tested builds of gstreamer-ti and libgles-omap3 the denzil branch
from meta-gumstix, and ran the basic gstreamer test from Sleepy Robot's
instructions.  (Note: ti-dmai must be built with make 3.81 not make 3.82.)

I'm not sure how much more time I'll have to spend with gumstix going
forward, but hope this is helpful.

Peter