Quantcast

flashing u-boot to overo from linux

12

flashing u-boot to overo from linux

katutxakurra
Hi,

I want to flash my u-boot.img, uImage and file system to an Overo.
It works following the instructions in

However, I would like to do it booting my image and running a script. We are going to flash about 50 gumstix and I don't want to interrupt the boot process and write a command for each one. Running a script at start would be better.

but the u-boot part doesn't work. when I reboot, I get "Error: Bad compare! failed", as described in http://gumstix.8.x6.nabble.com/nandwrite-and-u-boot-suffix-td4966892.html
and I have to write u-boot manually stopping the boot process.

Can anyone please tell me how to fix that script?

Thank you,
Katu

Re: flashing u-boot to overo from linux

adam
Hi Katu, if I remember correctly, the work around was to use HW ECC (nandecc hw) to write 2nd stage boot loader (u-boot.img).
Use it with caution though, as I am not aware of what the difference is.

Adam

On Wed, Feb 19, 2014 at 12:13 PM, katutxakurra [via Gumstix] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

I want to flash my u-boot.img, uImage and file system to an Overo.
It works following the instructions in

However, I would like to do it booting my image and running a script. We are going to flash about 50 gumstix and I don't want to interrupt the boot process and write a command for each one. Running a script at start would be better.

but the u-boot part doesn't work. when I reboot, I get "Error: Bad compare! failed", as described in http://gumstix.8.x6.nabble.com/nandwrite-and-u-boot-suffix-td4966892.html
and I have to write u-boot manually stopping the boot process.

Can anyone please tell me how to fix that script?

Thank you,
Katu

http://gumstix.8.x6.nabble.com/flashing-u-boot-to-overo-from-linux-tp4968782.html
To start a new topic under Gumstix, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Gumstix, click here.

Re: flashing u-boot to overo from linux

katutxakurra
Adam,

Thanks for your answer. Unfortunately, I couldn't make it work. I've tried to flash my image in two ways:

1) using a boot.src created with myscript.cmd (attached renamed to myscript_cmd) that runs commands in Overo#
    This script flashes MLO and u-boot correctly but not the kernel image.
    The error displayed is
    Wrong Image Format for bootm command
    ERROR: can't get kernel image!
    That suggests that the kernel image is not in $loadaddr = 0x82000000

2) using the flash-image.sh script from linux once the system has booted:
    This script flashes the kernel and rootfs correctly but it fails flashing u-boot.
    Error displayed
    "Error: Bad compare! failed"

So both methods complement each other but none of them works completely. I tried as last option to use 1) for u-boot and 2) for kernel and rootfs, but if I add "boot" at the end of myscript.cmd, the gumstix reboots instead of continuing with the boot process. This makes my boot.src script to run again and again in a loop.

Anyone has managed to do this in an automatized way?
Regards,
Katu

[...]

flash-image.sh (1K) Download Attachment
myscript_cmd (3K) Download Attachment

Re: flashing u-boot to overo from linux

sudhangathan
Hi,
I always use 2 scripts. One in the u-boot for flashing MLO and u-boot and the other script in the linux, after booting, to flash the rootfs..!

It can be automated in the same way..!!

Remove the flashing of rootfs part from the u-boot script and MLO & u-boot flashing part from the linux shell script.
u-boot script can be run automatically before booting the kernel image..! and the linux shell script can also be run automatically from the linux..! I haven't tried such an automation before though.! You can try it..!

Best,

---------------------------------
Sudhangathan BS
Ph:(+91) 9731-905-205
---------------------------------

On Wed, Feb 26, 2014 at 7:16 PM, Katu Txakur <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Thanks, that's exactly what I've tried to do. The problem is that after the MLO & u-boot flashing part, the system stays in the
Overo#

I've tried to add "boot" at the end of the script, but this reboots the machine and runs the same MLO & u-boot script and reboots again and again. I've also tried to continue with the boot using "bootm $loadaddr" but it didn't work either. What is the command to continue with the boot of the SD card without rebooting the system?

Cheers,
Katu

I always use 2 scripts. One in the u-boot for flashing MLO and u-boot and the other script in the linux, after booting, to flash the rootfs..!

It can be automated in the same way..!!

Remove the flashing of rootfs part from the u-boot script and MLO & u-boot flashing part from the linux shell script.
u-boot script can be run automatically before booting the kernel image..! and the linux shell script can also be run automatically from the linux..! I haven't tried such an automation before though.! You can try it..!

Best,

---------------------------------
Sudhangathan BS
Ph:<a href="tel:%28%2B91%29%209731-905-205" value="+919731905205" target="_blank">(+91) 9731-905-205
---------------------------------

[...]

Hello Katu,

I worked on it now. You can use the attached boot script for automation. I have tested it here in my hardware. And it is working.!

The attached script is in text format, you can compile it for u-boot using:
mkimage -A arm -O linux -T script -C none -a 0 -e 0 -n "boot" -d boot.txt boot.scr
and place it in the boot partition of the SD card.

This script will flash MLO and u-boot, from the boot partition on the SD card to NAND flash; and then continue to boot with the kernel on the SD card and proceed to the Linux Shell.

I hope that will help you.

Best,

---------------------------------
Sudhangathan BS
Ph:(+91) 9731-905-205
---------------------------------

boot.txt (2K) Download Attachment

Re: flashing u-boot to overo from linux

sudhangathan
Hello Katu, I'm mailing this again, sorry for spelling mistake in email-id in the previous reply..!

I worked on it now. You can use the attached boot script for automation. I have tested it here in my hardware. And it is working..!

The attached script is in text format, you can compile it for u-boot using,
mkimage -A arm -O linux -T script -C none -a 0 -e 0 -n "flashnboot" -d boot.txt boot.scr
[...]

Thank you very much for your help. I copied these three lines from your script to mine and it worked!

run loaduimage
run mmcboot
boot

Regards,
Katu

[...]

Following up.

Hardware ECC is also required for the kernel (uImage) in addition
to MLO and u-boot.img if you are flashing it from u-boot.

It might be useful to have a note about this change in behavior in
the Gumstix "Write Images to Flash" article.

Tests were with u-boot 2014.01 from the meta-gumstix [dora] branch.

Below is the u-boot script I'm using for the first 4 NAND partitions.
(I'm flasing the root file system from Linux with ubiformat.)

  --- nand-flash.script ---
echo Erasing first 4 partitions of NAND flash
nand erase 0 a80000

fatload mmc 0 ${loadaddr} MLO
echo writing MLO
nandecc hw
nand write ${loadaddr} 0 20000
nand write ${loadaddr} 20000 20000
nand write ${loadaddr} 40000 20000
nand write ${loadaddr} 60000 20000

fatload mmc 0 ${loadaddr} u-boot.img
echo writing u-boot.img
nand write ${loadaddr} 80000 ${filesize}

fatload mmc 0 ${loadaddr} uImage
echo writing uImage
nand write ${loadaddr} 280000 ${filesize}

echo Finish mmc boot
run loaduimage
run mmcboot
 --- end nand-flash.script ---

Re: flashing u-boot to overo from linux

dtran11
Scott, since when did uImage require Hardware ECC?

Re: flashing u-boot to overo from linux

Scott Ellis
Not sure when it started.

I don't normally use NAND, but this customer project asked for it.

When I tried the Gumstix instructions I ran into the problem.

I didn't go back and try any older u-boot versions.

Re: flashing u-boot to overo from linux

kris duff
I have exactly the same problem working with that script.

What I have found is to copy u-boot before running nandecc.

In my case, the gumstix will not boot, I only see 40W on bootup.

Working on this issue.

On Wednesday, March 19, 2014 10:34:54 AM, Scott Ellis <[hidden email]> wrote:
Not sure when it started.

I don't normally use NAND, but this customer project asked for it.

When I tried the Gumstix instructions I ran into the problem.

I didn't go back and try any older u-boot versions.

Re: flashing u-boot to overo from linux

Scott Ellis
The script I posted earlier using hardware ECC for all the
writes from u-boot seems to work fine. Here at least.

I've tried it on several Overo COMs.

I'm still flashing the rootfs from Linux with ubiformat.

Re: flashing u-boot to overo from linux

Scott Ellis
Kris,

When you say you are having the same problems with 'that script'
are you referring to the one I posted or the one on the Gumstix
site?

What version of u-boot are you using?

Scott

Re: flashing u-boot to overo from linux

kris duff
Hello Scott. I did not see the later replies.

I had problems with the website script.

I also had to modify your script to add nandecc sw after loading uImage.

So I have been successfull to copy my image on the gumstix's NAND. But I am having the following error when I load fdisk -l

Is this normal that I receive errors like :
UBI error: ubi_open_volume: cannot open device 0, volume 0 error -16
and
end_request: I/O error, dev mtdblock0, sector 16...
end_request: I/O error, dev mtdblock1, sector 24 ...

You can see everything here :

http://pastebin.com/bZyzZTz2

You have said that you were not using this method to flash the gumstix. You run on sd card or you are using the old kermit way ?

thank you

On Wednesday, March 19, 2014 4:14:18 PM, Scott Ellis <[hidden email]> wrote:
Kris,

When you say you are having the same problems with 'that script'
are you referring to the one I posted or the one on the Gumstix
site?

What version of u-boot are you using?

Scott

Re: flashing u-boot to overo from linux

Scott Ellis
> I also had to modify your script to add nandecc sw after loading uImage.

What version of u-boot? I'm was using 2014.01 and need nandecc hw for
u-boot and uImage. It might be a recent change.

> You have said that you were not using this method to flash the gumstix.
> You run on sd card or you are using the old kermit way ?

I'm using an SD card.

Here are the steps I'm using

I compile the script I posted before with mkimage

mkimage -A arm -O linux -T script -C none -a 0 -e 0 -d nand-flash.script boot.scr

I put MLO, u-boot.img, uImage and boot.scr on the first (FAT) partition of
an SD card.

I put a minimal linux root filesystem on the second (EXT3) partition of the
SD card.

I also put the ubi file of the final root filesystem I want to copy to NAND
onto the root filesystem on the SD card. Some card copying scripts do all
the work.

I boot the SD card, it runs the boot.scr which handles writing the first
4 partitions of NAND and then boots the kernel into the minimal root
filesystem.

From the linux command line I then run

ubiformat -y /dev/mtd4 -f <rootfs.ubi>

That step could be automated with a startup script. TODO.

I'm using ubiformat for the rootfs based on this

http://www.linux-mtd.infradead.org/faq/ubifs.html#L_free_space_fixup

"Note that ubiformat is still the preferred flashing method if the
 image is not being flashed for the first time, since it preserves
 existing erase counters (while using nandwrite or its equivalent
 does not)."

I'm no expert on using NAND, it's always been SD cards on Gumstix
for me. Open to suggestions.

Re: flashing u-boot to overo from linux

katutxakurra
Hi,

I made a recipe to flash an image to nand. It includes a systemd service. Once you've create the SD card, put it in the gumstix, power on and wait until it powers off again. Take off the SD card and it should be ready to go from nand.

I hope someone finds it useful.

Cheers,
Katu

flash-image.tar.bz2 (3K) Download Attachment

Re: flashing u-boot to overo from linux

kris duff
Thank you scott.

I am using u-boot version 2012.10-r1 (danny)

Which sd card are you using ? I had so many problems with crashing sd cards. ( I tried lexar, kingston (OH my god, they are so bad) and now the sandisk is the only one that seems to work fine and is very very fast ).

Kris

On Thursday, March 20, 2014 7:41:14 AM, Katu Txakur <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

I made a recipe to flash an image to nand. It includes a systemd service. Once you've create the SD card, put it in the gumstix, power on and wait until it powers off again. Take off the SD card and it should be ready to go from nand.

I hope someone finds it useful.

Cheers,
Katu

> I also had to modify your script to add nandecc sw after loading uImage.

What version of u-boot? I'm was using 2014.01 and need nandecc hw for
u-boot and uImage. It might be a recent change.

> You have said that you were not using this method to flash the gumstix.
> You run on sd card or you are using the old kermit way ?

I'm using an SD card.

Here are the steps I'm using

I compile the script I posted before with mkimage

mkimage -A arm -O linux -T script -C none -a 0 -e 0 -d nand-flash.script
boot.scr

I put MLO, u-boot.img, uImage and boot.scr on the first (FAT) partition of
an SD card.

I put a minimal linux root filesystem on the second (EXT3) partition of the
SD card.

I also put the ubi file of the final root filesystem I want to copy to NAND
onto the root filesystem on the SD card. Some card copying scripts do all
the work.

I boot the SD card, it runs the boot.scr which handles writing the first
4 partitions of NAND and then boots the kernel into the minimal root
filesystem.

>From the linux command line I then run

ubiformat -y /dev/mtd4 -f <rootfs.ubi>

That step could be automated with a startup script. TODO.

I'm using ubiformat for the rootfs based on this

http://www.linux-mtd.infradead.org/faq/ubifs.html#L_free_space_fixup

"Note that ubiformat is still the preferred flashing method if the
 image is not being flashed for the first time, since it preserves
 existing erase counters (while using nandwrite or its equivalent
 does not)."

I'm no expert on using NAND, it's always been SD cards on Gumstix
for me. Open to suggestions.

Re: flashing u-boot to overo from linux

Scott Ellis
The older version of u-boot probably explains the difference in the
method of ECC required for the different files.

I've found the Sandisk class 10 cards to be the best performing as well.