fitting JamJVM and Classpath on Verdex

12

fitting JamJVM and Classpath on Verdex

Chris McClenaghan
My first naive attempt at adding the buildroot supported JVM resulted in
an image size greater than the 16MB available on the Verdex XM4-bt
motherboard.

What are the various ways I can reduce the image size, please provide
details. I have at this point only added the jvm, classpath and the zlib
headers (is that necessary or is the dependency on zlib?). The image
size is ~17MB. Is the current image stripped by default? Is compression
an option? Could I store the jvm and classpath on another filesystem -
usb thumb drive?

Thanks,

Chris

Re: fitting JamJVM and Classpath on Verdex

Joshua Smith-5
Chris-

I don't have the Verdex hardware, but experienced the same thing that you're talking about with the NetStix.

In the end I built a system image that started with the defaults, removed 3 items and then added 3 items. That got me a image that fit on the Gumstix. Of course, you'll have to decide what to remove based on what functionality you're using, but here is what I did.

I removed:
bluez
wifistix
wirelesstools

I added
classpath
jamvm
zlib headers in target

I hope that helps.
Josh

On 10/9/07, Chris McClenaghan <[hidden email]> wrote:
My first naive attempt at adding the buildroot supported JVM resulted in
an image size greater than the 16MB available on the Verdex XM4-bt
motherboard.

What are the various ways I can reduce the image size, please provide
details. I have at this point only added the jvm, classpath and the zlib
headers (is that necessary or is the dependency on zlib?). The image
size is ~17MB. Is the current image stripped by default? Is compression
an option? Could I store the jvm and classpath on another filesystem -
usb thumb drive?

Thanks,

Chris

Re: fitting JamJVM and Classpath on Verdex

Chris McClenaghan
Joshua,

Thanks. I was hoping that package management was not the only way to
control image size.

I'll likely remove gpsd (if that is the global position system daemon)
along with the two wireless packages you removed. Since my board has
bluetooth, I'm loathed to remove bluez. Trouble is, eventually I'd like
to add a network stick to the mix - ether and wireless. I'm guessing I'm
looking at the bigger verdex in that case.

Chris

Joshua Smith wrote:

> Chris-
>
> I don't have the Verdex hardware, but experienced the same thing that
> you're talking about with the NetStix.
>
> In the end I built a system image that started with the defaults,
> removed 3 items and then added 3 items. That got me a image that fit
> on the Gumstix. Of course, you'll have to decide what to remove based
> on what functionality you're using, but here is what I did.
>
> I removed:
> bluez
> wifistix
> wirelesstools
>
> I added
> classpath
> jamvm
> zlib headers in target
>
> I hope that helps.
> Josh
>
> On 10/9/07, * Chris McClenaghan* <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     My first naive attempt at adding the buildroot supported JVM
>     resulted in
>     an image size greater than the 16MB available on the Verdex XM4-bt
>     motherboard.
>
>     What are the various ways I can reduce the image size, please provide
>     details. I have at this point only added the jvm, classpath and
>     the zlib
>     headers (is that necessary or is the dependency on zlib?). The image
>     size is ~17MB. Is the current image stripped by default? Is
>     compression
>     an option? Could I store the jvm and classpath on another filesystem -
>     usb thumb drive?
>
>     Thanks,
>
>     Chris

Re: fitting JamJVM and Classpath on Verdex

Greg Fausak
Chris,

I've been following along here, I need jamvm on my
verdex as well.  I built the image as described and
I did get jamvm and classpath in the image.  I haven't
tested any java programs yet.

One thing that's happening, the jamvm and classpath bring the
total size for me up to over 15MB.  When I do a df on the filesystem
on the verdex it reports it as 100% full.  Because of this, I can't create
the directory which contains the ssh key, and therefore can't ssh in.

Why is the filesystem limited to 16MB?  Does the verdex with 128MB memory
allow a bigger file system?  If so, I think I need one of those :-)

-g

On 10/9/07, Chris McClenaghan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Joshua,
>
> Thanks. I was hoping that package management was not the only way to
> control image size.
>
> I'll likely remove gpsd (if that is the global position system daemon)
> along with the two wireless packages you removed. Since my board has
> bluetooth, I'm loathed to remove bluez. Trouble is, eventually I'd like
> to add a network stick to the mix - ether and wireless. I'm guessing I'm
> looking at the bigger verdex in that case.
>
> Chris
>
> Joshua Smith wrote:
> > Chris-
> >
> > I don't have the Verdex hardware, but experienced the same thing that
> > you're talking about with the NetStix.
> >
> > In the end I built a system image that started with the defaults,
> > removed 3 items and then added 3 items. That got me a image that fit
> > on the Gumstix. Of course, you'll have to decide what to remove based
> > on what functionality you're using, but here is what I did.
> >
> > I removed:
> > bluez
> > wifistix
> > wirelesstools
> >
> > I added
> > classpath
> > jamvm
> > zlib headers in target
> >
> > I hope that helps.
> > Josh
> >
> > On 10/9/07, * Chris McClenaghan* <[hidden email]
> > <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
> >
> >     My first naive attempt at adding the buildroot supported JVM
> >     resulted in
> >     an image size greater than the 16MB available on the Verdex XM4-bt
> >     motherboard.
> >
> >     What are the various ways I can reduce the image size, please provide
> >     details. I have at this point only added the jvm, classpath and
> >     the zlib
> >     headers (is that necessary or is the dependency on zlib?). The image
> >     size is ~17MB. Is the current image stripped by default? Is
> >     compression
> >     an option? Could I store the jvm and classpath on another filesystem -
> >     usb thumb drive?
> >
> >     Thanks,
> >
> >     Chris

Greg Fausak

Re: fitting JamJVM and Classpath on Verdex

Dave Hylands
Hi Greg,

> I've been following along here, I need jamvm on my
> verdex as well.  I built the image as described and
> I did get jamvm and classpath in the image.  I haven't
> tested any java programs yet.
>
> One thing that's happening, the jamvm and classpath bring the
> total size for me up to over 15MB.  When I do a df on the filesystem
> on the verdex it reports it as 100% full.  Because of this, I can't create
> the directory which contains the ssh key, and therefore can't ssh in.
>
> Why is the filesystem limited to 16MB?  Does the verdex with 128MB memory
> allow a bigger file system?  If so, I think I need one of those :-)

You need to make sure that you differentiate between flash memory and RAM.

The verdex XL6P comes with 32 Mb flash and 128 Mb RAM.
The verdex XM4 comes with 16 Mb flash and 64 Mb RAM.

The file system is stored in flash, which persists across reboots and
power cycles. RAM looses everything when you reboot.

--
Dave Hylands
Vancouver, BC, Canada

Re: fitting JamJVM and Classpath on Verdex

Chris McClenaghan
Greg,

I haven't had the opportunity to dig beneath the covers and understand
"boot" model for gumstix. I don't know how one would overcome the
apparent file system limitation of the size of the flash - in my case
16MB. The larger verdex has 32MB flash. I would assume that with any
board capable of supporting a memory card (either directly or through
USB) you could extend the file system to that memory card.

Chris

Greg Fausak wrote:

> Chris,
>
> I've been following along here, I need jamvm on my
> verdex as well.  I built the image as described and
> I did get jamvm and classpath in the image.  I haven't
> tested any java programs yet.
>
> One thing that's happening, the jamvm and classpath bring the
> total size for me up to over 15MB.  When I do a df on the filesystem
> on the verdex it reports it as 100% full.  Because of this, I can't create
> the directory which contains the ssh key, and therefore can't ssh in.
>
> Why is the filesystem limited to 16MB?  Does the verdex with 128MB memory
> allow a bigger file system?  If so, I think I need one of those :-)
>
> -g
>

> On 10/9/07, Chris McClenaghan <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Joshua,
>>
>> Thanks. I was hoping that package management was not the only way to
>> control image size.
>>
>> I'll likely remove gpsd (if that is the global position system daemon)
>> along with the two wireless packages you removed. Since my board has
>> bluetooth, I'm loathed to remove bluez. Trouble is, eventually I'd like
>> to add a network stick to the mix - ether and wireless. I'm guessing I'm
>> looking at the bigger verdex in that case.
>>
>> Chris
>>
>> Joshua Smith wrote:
>>
>>> Chris-
>>>
>>> I don't have the Verdex hardware, but experienced the same thing that
>>> you're talking about with the NetStix.
>>>
>>> In the end I built a system image that started with the defaults,
>>> removed 3 items and then added 3 items. That got me a image that fit
>>> on the Gumstix. Of course, you'll have to decide what to remove based
>>> on what functionality you're using, but here is what I did.
>>>
>>> I removed:
>>> bluez
>>> wifistix
>>> wirelesstools
>>>
>>> I added
>>> classpath
>>> jamvm
>>> zlib headers in target
>>>
>>> I hope that helps.
>>> Josh
>>>
>>> On 10/9/07, * Chris McClenaghan* <[hidden email]
>>> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>>
>>>     My first naive attempt at adding the buildroot supported JVM
>>>     resulted in
>>>     an image size greater than the 16MB available on the Verdex XM4-bt
>>>     motherboard.
>>>
>>>     What are the various ways I can reduce the image size, please provide
>>>     details. I have at this point only added the jvm, classpath and
>>>     the zlib
>>>     headers (is that necessary or is the dependency on zlib?). The image
>>>     size is ~17MB. Is the current image stripped by default? Is
>>>     compression
>>>     an option? Could I store the jvm and classpath on another filesystem -
>>>     usb thumb drive?
>>>
>>>     Thanks,
>>>
>>>     Chris

Re: fitting JamJVM and Classpath on Verdex

Joshua Smith-5
Chris-

Good luck. I'd love to see what image that you end up with in the end. It might be nice if there were some canned combinations published to the wiki or something so that people can see what combinations others have built for various functionality.

Other option you might explore is booting off of removable media. I don't know about the Verdex, but my Netstix has a Compact Flash card. I haven't done this, but I know that there are articles on the wiki that describe how to build an image on the flash card and to boot off of that. As soon as you're off the gumstix and onto the flash card, your options for images sizes are really tied to your wallet. There are some pretty big flash cards out there.

Josh

On 10/9/07, Chris McClenaghan <[hidden email]> wrote:
Joshua,

Thanks. I was hoping that package management was not the only way to
control image size.

I'll likely remove gpsd (if that is the global position system daemon)
along with the two wireless packages you removed. Since my board has
bluetooth, I'm loathed to remove bluez. Trouble is, eventually I'd like
to add a network stick to the mix - ether and wireless. I'm guessing I'm
looking at the bigger verdex in that case.

Chris

Re: fitting JamJVM and Classpath on Verdex

Greg Fausak
I ended up with a 13.9 MB image by using the make menuconfig and
removing all of the stuff I didn't need (audio, wifi, gps, etc). I added
jamvm and classpath, then did a build and pushed to the verdex.

I am getting some java errors...

Alignment trap: not handling instruction ececa102 at [<4008bef8>]
Unhandled fault: alignment exception (0x813) at 0xbd3fe004
Illegal instruction

when I run the jamvm from the verdex.  If I run it on simple
hello world stuff it is working fine.  I have a little application that
really exercises the networking underpinnings, and that is where I'm
seeing a problem.

Strange, because I am able to run this on other embedded marvel platforms.
I must have goofed up a step.

-g

On 10/9/07, Joshua Smith <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Chris-
>
> Good luck. I'd love to see what image that you end up with in the end. It
> might be nice if there were some canned combinations published to the wiki
> or something so that people can see what combinations others have built for
> various functionality.
>
> Other option you might explore is booting off of removable media. I don't
> know about the Verdex, but my Netstix has a Compact Flash card. I haven't
> done this, but I know that there are articles on the wiki that describe how
> to build an image on the flash card and to boot off of that. As soon as
> you're off the gumstix and onto the flash card, your options for images
> sizes are really tied to your wallet. There are some pretty big flash cards
> out there.
>
> Josh
>

> On 10/9/07, Chris McClenaghan <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Joshua,
> >
> > Thanks. I was hoping that package management was not the only way to
> > control image size.
> >
> > I'll likely remove gpsd (if that is the global position system daemon)
> > along with the two wireless packages you removed. Since my board has
> > bluetooth, I'm loathed to remove bluez. Trouble is, eventually I'd like
> > to add a network stick to the mix - ether and wireless. I'm guessing I'm
> > looking at the bigger verdex in that case.
> >
> > Chris

Greg Fausak

Re: fitting JamJVM and Classpath on Verdex

Robert Dodier
Administrator
Chris McClenaghan wrote
What are the various ways I can reduce the image size, please provide
details. I have at this point only added the jvm, classpath and the zlib
headers (is that necessary or is the dependency on zlib?). The image
size is ~17MB. Is the current image stripped by default? Is compression
an option? Could I store the jvm and classpath on another filesystem -
usb thumb drive?
I had the same problem -- I ended up erasing glibj.zip from the
Gumstix filesystem and downloading it into /tmp (i.e. volatile memory)
via ssh when Linux boots via a script in /etc/init.d/, and then executing
jamvm with appropriate arguments to tell it the location of glibj.zip.

Good luck. I have found that getting Java to work on the Gumstix
is extremely frustrating. Hope you have better luck than me.

Robert Dodier

Re: fitting JamJVM and Classpath on Verdex

Greg Fausak
Although  have the image small enough, the Alignment trap is
proving to be an issue.  Checking with some stuff online it seems it
could be a problem with the jamvm being compiled with EABI.  The
author notes that won't work, and the libffi library should be used, so
jamvm needs to be compiled with -with-ffi switch.  In my poking about the
gumstix-buildroot tree I don't know where to push that in.  Normally I'd go
to the jamvm directory and do the ./configure with the option I need.  How
can I get that injected with the buildroot tree???

-g

On 10/10/07, Robert Dodier <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Chris McClenaghan wrote:
> >
> > What are the various ways I can reduce the image size, please provide
> > details. I have at this point only added the jvm, classpath and the zlib
> > headers (is that necessary or is the dependency on zlib?). The image
> > size is ~17MB. Is the current image stripped by default? Is compression
> > an option? Could I store the jvm and classpath on another filesystem -
> > usb thumb drive?
> >

> I had the same problem -- I ended up erasing glibj.zip from the
> Gumstix filesystem and downloading it into /tmp (i.e. volatile memory)
> via ssh when Linux boots via a script in /etc/init.d/, and then executing
> jamvm with appropriate arguments to tell it the location of glibj.zip.
>
> Good luck. I have found that getting Java to work on the Gumstix
> is extremely frustrating. Hope you have better luck than me.
>
> Robert Dodier

Greg Fausak

Re: fitting JamJVM and Classpath on Verdex

Chris McClenaghan
Greg,

My understanding is the change should be made in the package hierarchy.
In the ${BUILDROOT}/package/jamvm there should be a jamvm.mk file where
in you would make the change(s). How the change would be expressed and
what you need to do to make sure the change was picked up in the next
build are not clear to me (and left as an exercise for the reader ;-)

Is libffi already part of the build or does it need to be added?

Chris

Greg Fausak wrote:

> Although  have the image small enough, the Alignment trap is
> proving to be an issue.  Checking with some stuff online it seems it
> could be a problem with the jamvm being compiled with EABI.  The
> author notes that won't work, and the libffi library should be used, so
> jamvm needs to be compiled with -with-ffi switch.  In my poking about the
> gumstix-buildroot tree I don't know where to push that in.  Normally I'd go
> to the jamvm directory and do the ./configure with the option I need.  How
> can I get that injected with the buildroot tree???
>
> -g
>

> On 10/10/07, Robert Dodier <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Chris McClenaghan wrote:
>>
>>> What are the various ways I can reduce the image size, please provide
>>> details. I have at this point only added the jvm, classpath and the zlib
>>> headers (is that necessary or is the dependency on zlib?). The image
>>> size is ~17MB. Is the current image stripped by default? Is compression
>>> an option? Could I store the jvm and classpath on another filesystem -
>>> usb thumb drive?
>>>

>> I had the same problem -- I ended up erasing glibj.zip from the
>> Gumstix filesystem and downloading it into /tmp (i.e. volatile memory)
>> via ssh when Linux boots via a script in /etc/init.d/, and then executing
>> jamvm with appropriate arguments to tell it the location of glibj.zip.
>>
>> Good luck. I have found that getting Java to work on the Gumstix
>> is extremely frustrating. Hope you have better luck than me.
>>
>> Robert Dodier

Re: fitting JamJVM and Classpath on Verdex

Greg Fausak
libffi needs to be added.
where does that get poked in?

-g

On 10/10/07, Chris McClenaghan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Greg,
>
> My understanding is the change should be made in the package hierarchy.
> In the ${BUILDROOT}/package/jamvm there should be a jamvm.mk file where
> in you would make the change(s). How the change would be expressed and
> what you need to do to make sure the change was picked up in the next
> build are not clear to me (and left as an exercise for the reader ;-)
>
> Is libffi already part of the build or does it need to be added?
>
> Chris
>
> Greg Fausak wrote:
> > Although  have the image small enough, the Alignment trap is
> > proving to be an issue.  Checking with some stuff online it seems it
> > could be a problem with the jamvm being compiled with EABI.  The
> > author notes that won't work, and the libffi library should be used, so
> > jamvm needs to be compiled with -with-ffi switch.  In my poking about the
> > gumstix-buildroot tree I don't know where to push that in.  Normally I'd go
> > to the jamvm directory and do the ./configure with the option I need.  How
> > can I get that injected with the buildroot tree???
> >
> > -g

> >> I had the same problem -- I ended up erasing glibj.zip from the
> >> Gumstix filesystem and downloading it into /tmp (i.e. volatile memory)
> >> via ssh when Linux boots via a script in /etc/init.d/, and then executing
> >> jamvm with appropriate arguments to tell it the location of glibj.zip.
> >>
> >> Good luck. I have found that getting Java to work on the Gumstix
> >> is extremely frustrating. Hope you have better luck than me.
> >>
> >> Robert Dodier
> >>
> >> --

Greg Fausak

Re: fitting JamJVM and Classpath on Verdex

Michael Kenney
Chris,

On 10/9/07, Chris McClenaghan <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Could I store the jvm and classpath on another filesystem -
> usb thumb drive?

Yes, you can.

This is the approach that I took with Python (also much too large to
fit on the internal Flash). Here's a general outline:

  1. modify the Buildroot makefile for the package to place the
package under /usr/local

  2. modify the target/jffs2/jffs2.mk makefile to archive and then
remove the contents of /usr/local from the target directory tree.
Save the archive under your buildroot directory.

  3. create and install your filesystem image.

  4. unarchive your /usr/local archive onto your external storage media.

  5. from your gumstix, mount your external storage under /usr/local

--Mike

Re: fitting JamJVM and Classpath on Verdex

Robert Lougher

Greg Fausak <lgfausak <at> gmail.com> writes:

> libffi needs to be added.
> where does that get poked in?

In case this saves somebody a lot of fuss, I've since added ARM EABI support to
JamVM.  This will be in the next release, but in the meantime it can be grabbed
from CVS (instructions at http://developer.berlios.de/cvs/?group_id=6545).

You should be able to just run ./configure as before.  It will build support
for EABI or OABI as appropriate.

Thanks,

Rob.

> -g
>

> > Greg Fausak wrote:
> > > Although  have the image small enough, the Alignment trap is
> > > proving to be an issue.  Checking with some stuff online it seems it
> > > could be a problem with the jamvm being compiled with EABI.  The
> > > author notes that won't work, and the libffi library should be used, so
> > > jamvm needs to be compiled with -with-ffi switch.  In my poking about the
> > > gumstix-buildroot tree I don't know where to push that in.  Normally I'd
go
> > > to the jamvm directory and do the ./configure with the option I need.  How
> > > can I get that injected with the buildroot tree???

Re: fitting JamJVM and Classpath on Verdex

Greg Fausak
Yeeha,

I thought I read that EABI was supported now.

Thanks Rob,

-g

On 10/11/07, Robert Lougher <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Greg Fausak <lgfausak <at> gmail.com> writes:
>

> > libffi needs to be added.
> > where does that get poked in?
> >

> In case this saves somebody a lot of fuss, I've since added ARM EABI support to
> JamVM.  This will be in the next release, but in the meantime it can be grabbed
> from CVS (instructions at http://developer.berlios.de/cvs/?group_id=6545).
>
> You should be able to just run ./configure as before.  It will build support
> for EABI or OABI as appropriate.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Rob.
>
> > -g

> go

Greg Fausak

Re: fitting JamJVM and Classpath on Verdex

Greg Fausak
Rob,

I finally got things built.
I am seeing this error when I try to run on the gumstix:

# jamvm -verbose -cp . LocalServer
[Loaded java/lang/Object from /usr/share/classpath/glibj.zip]
[Linking class java/lang/Object]
[Loaded java/io/Serializable from /usr/share/classpath/glibj.zip]
[Linking class java/io/Serializable]
[Loaded java/lang/Class from /usr/share/classpath/glibj.zip]
[Linking class java/lang/Class]
[Loaded java/lang/Runnable from /usr/share/classpath/glibj.zip]
[Linking class java/lang/Runnable]
[Loaded java/lang/Thread from /usr/share/classpath/glibj.zip]
[Linking class java/lang/Thread]
[Loaded java/lang/VMThread from /usr/share/jamvm/classes.zip]
[Linking class java/lang/VMThread]
Error initialising VM (initialiseMainThread)

Any ideas?

-g

On 10/11/07, Robert Lougher <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Greg Fausak <lgfausak <at> gmail.com> writes:
>

> > libffi needs to be added.
> > where does that get poked in?
> >

> In case this saves somebody a lot of fuss, I've since added ARM EABI support to
> JamVM.  This will be in the next release, but in the meantime it can be grabbed
> from CVS (instructions at http://developer.berlios.de/cvs/?group_id=6545).
>
> You should be able to just run ./configure as before.  It will build support
> for EABI or OABI as appropriate.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Rob.
>
> > -g

> go

Greg Fausak

Re: fitting JamJVM and Classpath on Verdex

Greg Fausak
Some more hints.  I'm cross compiling with gumstix-buildroot from a ubuntu 7.04
platform.

WHen I went to 'configure', it wasn't there. I ran autogen.sh to
make the configure, then I configured with (via jamvm.mk ) :
$(JAMVM_DIR)/.configured: $(JAMVM_DIR)/.unpacked
        (cd $(JAMVM_DIR); rm -rf config.cache; \
                $(TARGET_CONFIGURE_OPTS) CC_FOR_BUILD=$(HOSTCC) \
                CFLAGS="$(TARGET_CFLAGS)" \
                ./configure \
                --target=$(GNU_TARGET_NAME) \
                --host=$(GNU_TARGET_NAME) \
                --build=$(GNU_HOST_NAME) \
                --prefix=/usr \
                --exec-prefix=/usr \
                --bindir=/usr/bin \
                --sbindir=/usr/sbin \
                --libexecdir=/usr/lib \
                --sysconfdir=/etc \
                --datadir=/usr/share \
                --localstatedir=/var \
                --mandir=/usr/man \
                --infodir=/usr/info \
                --with-classpath-install-dir=/usr \
        );
        touch  $(JAMVM_DIR)/.configured

Do I need to run autogen.sh in native gumstix mode???

-g

On 10/11/07, Greg Fausak <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Rob,
>

> I finally got things built.
> I am seeing this error when I try to run on the gumstix:
>
> # jamvm -verbose -cp . LocalServer
> [Loaded java/lang/Object from /usr/share/classpath/glibj.zip]
> [Linking class java/lang/Object]
> [Loaded java/io/Serializable from /usr/share/classpath/glibj.zip]
> [Linking class java/io/Serializable]
> [Loaded java/lang/Class from /usr/share/classpath/glibj.zip]
> [Linking class java/lang/Class]
> [Loaded java/lang/Runnable from /usr/share/classpath/glibj.zip]
> [Linking class java/lang/Runnable]
> [Loaded java/lang/Thread from /usr/share/classpath/glibj.zip]
> [Linking class java/lang/Thread]
> [Loaded java/lang/VMThread from /usr/share/jamvm/classes.zip]
> [Linking class java/lang/VMThread]
> Error initialising VM (initialiseMainThread)
>

> Any ideas?
>
> -g
>

> On 10/11/07, Robert Lougher <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Greg Fausak <lgfausak <at> gmail.com> writes:
> >

> > > libffi needs to be added.
> > > where does that get poked in?
> > >

> > In case this saves somebody a lot of fuss, I've since added ARM EABI support to
> > JamVM.  This will be in the next release, but in the meantime it can be grabbed
> > from CVS (instructions at http://developer.berlios.de/cvs/?group_id=6545).
> >
> > You should be able to just run ./configure as before.  It will build support
> > for EABI or OABI as appropriate.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Rob.
> >
> > > -g

> > go

> Greg Fausak

Greg Fausak

Re: fitting JamJVM and Classpath on Verdex

Greg Fausak
One more thing, I got ldd running on gumstix, the output:

# ldd /usr/bin/jamvm
        libz.so.1 => /lib/libz.so.1 (0x4000e000)
        libdl.so.0 => /lib/libdl.so.0 (0x4002b000)
        libm.so.0 => /lib/libm.so.0 (0x40035000)
        libpthread.so.0 => /lib/libpthread.so.0 (0x40051000)
        libgcc_s.so.1 => /lib/libgcc_s.so.1 (0x4006e000)
        libc.so.0 => /lib/libc.so.0 (0x40080000)
        ld-uClibc.so.0 => /lib/ld-uClibc.so.0 (0x40000000)

Initially the libpthread.so library wasn't there, I had to copy it over. Still
getting same error though...

-g

On 10/11/07, Greg Fausak <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Some more hints.  I'm cross compiling with gumstix-buildroot from a ubuntu 7.04
> platform.
>
> WHen I went to 'configure', it wasn't there. I ran autogen.sh to
> make the configure, then I configured with (via jamvm.mk ) :
> $(JAMVM_DIR)/.configured: $(JAMVM_DIR)/.unpacked
>         (cd $(JAMVM_DIR); rm -rf config.cache; \
>                 $(TARGET_CONFIGURE_OPTS) CC_FOR_BUILD=$(HOSTCC) \
>                 CFLAGS="$(TARGET_CFLAGS)" \
>                 ./configure \
>                 --target=$(GNU_TARGET_NAME) \
>                 --host=$(GNU_TARGET_NAME) \
>                 --build=$(GNU_HOST_NAME) \
>                 --prefix=/usr \
>                 --exec-prefix=/usr \
>                 --bindir=/usr/bin \
>                 --sbindir=/usr/sbin \
>                 --libexecdir=/usr/lib \
>                 --sysconfdir=/etc \
>                 --datadir=/usr/share \
>                 --localstatedir=/var \
>                 --mandir=/usr/man \
>                 --infodir=/usr/info \
>                 --with-classpath-install-dir=/usr \
>         );
>         touch  $(JAMVM_DIR)/.configured
>
> Do I need to run autogen.sh in native gumstix mode???
>
> -g
>

> On 10/11/07, Greg Fausak <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Rob,
> >

> > I finally got things built.
> > I am seeing this error when I try to run on the gumstix:
> >
> > # jamvm -verbose -cp . LocalServer
> > [Loaded java/lang/Object from /usr/share/classpath/glibj.zip]
> > [Linking class java/lang/Object]
> > [Loaded java/io/Serializable from /usr/share/classpath/glibj.zip]
> > [Linking class java/io/Serializable]
> > [Loaded java/lang/Class from /usr/share/classpath/glibj.zip]
> > [Linking class java/lang/Class]
> > [Loaded java/lang/Runnable from /usr/share/classpath/glibj.zip]
> > [Linking class java/lang/Runnable]
> > [Loaded java/lang/Thread from /usr/share/classpath/glibj.zip]
> > [Linking class java/lang/Thread]
> > [Loaded java/lang/VMThread from /usr/share/jamvm/classes.zip]
> > [Linking class java/lang/VMThread]
> > Error initialising VM (initialiseMainThread)
> >

> > Any ideas?
> >
> > -g
> >

> > On 10/11/07, Robert Lougher <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > > Hi,

> > > In case this saves somebody a lot of fuss, I've since added ARM EABI support to
> > > JamVM.  This will be in the next release, but in the meantime it can be grabbed
> > > from CVS (instructions at http://developer.berlios.de/cvs/?group_id=6545).
> > >
> > > You should be able to just run ./configure as before.  It will build support
> > > for EABI or OABI as appropriate.
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > >
> > > Rob.

> > > go

> > --
> > Greg Fausak
> > [hidden email]
> >

> --
> Greg Fausak

Greg Fausak

Re: fitting JamJVM and Classpath on Verdex

Robert Lougher
Hi Greg,

Greg Fausak <lgfausak <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Rob,
>
> I finally got things built.
> I am seeing this error when I try to run on the gumstix:
>
> # jamvm -verbose -cp . LocalServer
> [Loaded java/lang/Object from /usr/share/classpath/glibj.zip]
> [Linking class java/lang/Object]
> [Loaded java/io/Serializable from /usr/share/classpath/glibj.zip]
> [Linking class java/io/Serializable]
> [Loaded java/lang/Class from /usr/share/classpath/glibj.zip]
> [Linking class java/lang/Class]
> [Loaded java/lang/Runnable from /usr/share/classpath/glibj.zip]
> [Linking class java/lang/Runnable]
> [Loaded java/lang/Thread from /usr/share/classpath/glibj.zip]
> [Linking class java/lang/Thread]
> [Loaded java/lang/VMThread from /usr/share/jamvm/classes.zip]
> [Linking class java/lang/VMThread]
> Error initialising VM (initialiseMainThread)
>
> Any ideas?

When JamVM starts up it loads a load of classes and looks for certain methods
and fields (variables).  This error means it didn't find something it expected.

The usual case is because JamVM is being ran with an incompatible version of
Classpath.  Newer versions of Classpath move/change/add things so JamVM has to
change to adjust.  Because of this it is usually only compabible with the last
one or two releases of Classpath (I list the versions in the README).

So...   Which version of Classpath do you have on the Gumstix?  The CVS version
of JamVM should work with Classpath 0.93, Classpath 0.95, and Classpath from
CVS.

To be honest, I don't know which version of JamVM is present in the Gumstix
buildroot.  I had expected it to be JamVM 1.4.5, so there wouldn't have been
any compatibility problems.

You've two choices!

1) Download and build a newer Classpath (I'd recommend 0.93 over 0.95, as 0.95
requires a Java 1.5 compatible compiler).

2) Use the existing Gumstix Classpath/JamVM and graft on the EABI support from
JamVM CVS.

a) Check out JamVM CVS
b) Run ./autogen.sh to create the Makefile.in files
c) Copy jamvm/src/os/linux/arm to the same place in the old JamVM tree
d) Run ./configure in the old JamVM and make
e) Cross-fingers.

Let me know how you get on.

Rob.

> -g
>
> On 10/11/07, Robert Lougher <rob.lougher <at> gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Greg Fausak <lgfausak <at> gmail.com> writes:
> >

> > > libffi needs to be added.
> > > where does that get poked in?
> > >

> > In case this saves somebody a lot of fuss, I've since added ARM EABI
support to
> > JamVM.  This will be in the next release, but in the meantime it can be
grabbed

> > from CVS (instructions at http://developer.berlios.de/cvs/?group_id=6545).
> >
> > You should be able to just run ./configure as before.  It will build support
> > for EABI or OABI as appropriate.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Rob.
> >
> > > -g

I'd
> > go
need.  How

Re: fitting JamJVM and Classpath on Verdex

Greg Fausak
Rob,

I am indeed running classpath .90, the jamvm delivered with
gumstix is 1.4.2.  I'll try the things you suggest and let you know how
it goes.

-g