fast SD cards in Overo

rgw1001

Hi All,

I have been working on a mini project to speed up writing of large (video) files to the SD Card on a Gumstix Overo WaterStorm.  To that end, I did an internet search of claimed maximum write speeds and ended up buying:

UHS Class 3 16GB Kingston Micro SD Memory Card (manufacturers part number: SDCA3/16GBSP) &

SanDisk Extreme PLUS 16GB UHS-3 micro SD Memory Card (manufacturers part number SDSQXSG-016G-GN6MA).

The SanDisk arrived first and immediately impressed, as the formatting script we use (based on ‘mk2partsd’, except we have 3 partitions) absolutely flew, completing in ~20s.  (Formatting an ‘old style’ 16GB SD card takes ~1m:30s.)  I did some speed write tests on the Gumstix and it seems that, although I might not be seeing the full performance advantage I was hoping for, the writes to card are faster.

Then the Kingston card turned up.  The formatting took ~1m:20s – which was a bit weird – but at least it completed.  When inserted into the Gumstix the boot process failed with “mmc0: error -110 whilst initialising SD card” – which is even weirder.   I haven’t noticed any problems with my ‘old style’ Kingston 8GB HC (class 4) cards.

I trawled the internet for others experiencing similar problems but couldn’t draw any conclusions.

Does anyone know what is going on?

The simple fix is ‘don’t use Kingston UHS cards’, but as an engineer that seems a little unsatisfactory.

Regards,

Richard

Richard Woodham

Thermoteknix Systems Limited
Teknix House, 2 Pembroke Avenue, Waterbeach, Cambridge CB25 9QR, England
Tel. +44 1223 204037

Fax  +44 1223 204001

webpage: <a href="blocked::http://www.thermoteknix.com/" title="blocked::http://www.thermoteknix.com/&#10;blocked::r.kandziora@thermoteknix.co.uk">www.thermoteknix.com

The Queen's Award for Enterprise 2015: Innovation

Thermoteknix Systems Ltd is an ISO 9001:2008 certified company registered in England and Wales. Registered number: 01624251.

Registered office: 6th Floor, Cardinal House, 20 St Mary's Parsonage, Manchester M3 2LG