Quantcast

e-con Systems e-CAM32_OMAP_GSTIX with linux kernel 3.5

e-con Systems e-CAM32_OMAP_GSTIX with linux kernel 3.5

tom1001
Hello,
I am trying to use the e-con Systems Camera on my Gumstix Overo board with a linux kernel 3.5. I'm not sure whether the e-con Systems driver is still necessary, so I tried to install it, but I got this error:

Error: Driver 'omap3isp' is already registered, aborting...
insmod: error inserting 'v4l2_driver.ko': -1 Device of resource busy

So I reconfigured the kernel and disabled CONFIG_VIDEO_OMAP3 to make sure that the integrated isp will not be installed. But after my second try I got this error:

v4l2_driver: Unknown symbol video_devdata (err 0)
v4l2_driver: Unknown symbol video_unregister_device (err 0)
v4l2_driver: Unknown symbol video_device_alloc (err 0)
v4l2_driver: Unknown symbol __video_device_alloc (err 0)
v4l2_driver: Unknown symbol video_usercopy (err 0)
v4l2_driver: Unknown symbol video_device_release (err 0)
insmod: error inserting 'v4l2_driver.ko': -1 Unknown Symbol in module

Does anyone know what I need to do here? Or did anyone try the same with success?

Regards, Tom

Re: e-con Systems e-CAM32_OMAP_GSTIX with linux kernel 3.5

Florian Vaussard
Hello,

On 05/28/2013 03:17 PM, tom1001 wrote:
> Hello, I am trying to use the e-con Systems Camera on my Gumstix
> Overo board with a linux kernel 3.5. I'm not sure whether the e-con
> Systems driver is still necessary, so I tried to install it, but I
> got this error:

The driver is roughly made of two parts: the ISP (the capture
interface), and the ov3640 CMOS sensor. The ISP part was merged a while
ago, but as of kernel 3.10-rc3 no driver was merged for the ov3640.

> Error: Driver 'omap3isp' is already registered, aborting... insmod:
> error inserting 'v4l2_driver.ko': -1 Device of resource busy

Conflict with the in-kernel ISP driver.

> So I reconfigured the kernel and disabled CONFIG_VIDEO_OMAP3 to make
> sure that the integrated isp will not be installed. But after my
> second try I got this error:
>
> v4l2_driver: Unknown symbol video_devdata (err 0) v4l2_driver:
> Unknown symbol video_unregister_device (err 0) v4l2_driver: Unknown
> symbol video_device_alloc (err 0) v4l2_driver: Unknown symbol
> __video_device_alloc (err 0) v4l2_driver: Unknown symbol
> video_usercopy (err 0) v4l2_driver: Unknown symbol
> video_device_release (err 0) insmod: error inserting
> 'v4l2_driver.ko': -1 Unknown Symbol in module

Where do you get this v4l2_driver.ko from ? Was this module compiled
for an old kernel ? If yes, no way you will be able to insert it, you
have to recompile. But you will not be able to recompile, as the kernel's
internal API changed a lot.

> Does anyone know what I need to do here? Or did anyone try the same
> with success?

So here no many ways:

* If no updated driver is provided by e-con, you
have to stick to an old kernel. This is the danger with out-of-tree
modules.

* You can port the driver to the newest kernel, and submit
it upstream. This was in my plans, but I don't know where to find the
necessary time...

Sorry for the negative answer.

Regards,

Florian

Re: e-con Systems e-CAM32_OMAP_GSTIX with linux kernel 3.5

tom1001
Hello Florian,
thanks for your quick reply. I expected it to come so. Do you know where I could find an example of an other sensor, like ov9640 or ov2640 which are already ported. Something like the original driver sources or instructions how to port that.

Regards, Tom

On 05/29/2013 11:38 AM, tom1001 wrote:
> Hello Florian,
> thanks for your quick reply. I expected it to come so. Do you know where I
> could find an example of an other sensor, like ov9640 or ov2640 which are
> already ported. Something like the original driver sources or instructions
> how to port that.

Regarding the kernel, do not expect good instructions on that :-) Look
at the
current kernel's sources for an example to start with, like the mt9v032.
If you come with a driver, do us a favour and push it upstream :-)

Regards,

Florian

Re: e-con Systems e-CAM32_OMAP_GSTIX with linux kernel 3.5

tom1001
In my opinion the kernel version is not the biggest problem, but the how to. I found out that e.g. the ov2640 sensor was first integrated in the 2.6.38 kernel, but I miss some special functions like "camerachip_ip_brightness" which I found in an older c-file of that sensor: http://read.pudn.com/downloads135/sourcecode/embed/573503/ov2640/ov2640.c__.htm
I'm not sure whether I can trust that side, but I don't know where these functions remain in the kernel :-).

Regards, Tom

On 05/29/2013 01:57 PM, tom1001 wrote:

> In my opinion the kernel version is not the biggest problem, but the
>  how to. I found out that e.g. the ov2640 sensor was first integrated
>  in the 2.6.38 kernel, but I miss some special functions like
> "camerachip_ip_brightness" which I found in an older c-file of that
> sensor:
> http://read.pudn.com/downloads135/sourcecode/embed/573503/ov2640/ov2640.c__.htm

I'm not sure whether I can trust that side, but I don't know where these
> functions remain in the kernel :-).

You have to worry about the kernel version, as the internal API for the
camera changed quite radically during the last few years, notably with
the integration of the media controller framework. If you want to port
the driver, be prepared to rewrite a good part of it, you cannot just
adapt the name of the functions. Thus my proposition to take an existing
driver inside the latest kernel, strip it down, and build your driver on
top of it.

The code you link to if way too old, and really not clean. So it won't
compile with a recent kernel, and will never be accepted for inclusion
inside the upstream kernel.

Good luck.

Regards,
Florian