Quantcast

e-CAM56 37x GSTIX with Overo AirSTORM COM

e-CAM56 37x GSTIX with Overo AirSTORM COM

Paul Butler
Please excuse the noob question. I'm just getting started.

I have an AirSTORM COM and e-CAM56 37x GSTIX camera board. The
instructions for building the kernel that came with the camera seem
old and the binary driver is for an omap-3.2 kernel build. I added the
kernel patch and everything built fine, but my rootfs is from yocto
build ( danny branch ) and it also built a 3.5 kernel for the overo. I
didn't find a rootfs download image for the 3.2?  Anyone know what
rootfs I need? Sakoman? The 3.2 kernel and modules mixed with the
newer rootfs doesn't work.... (might if I wanted to dig deeper into
the errors)

I then got the source for the camera driver and got it to build with
the 3.5 kernel in my yocto build. The kernel patch applied cleanly as
well to omap-3.5 branch, but trying to load the v4l2_driver.ko fails,
complaining about the omap3isp driver in that is already loaded.  Can
someone point me to a matching kernel/rootfs combination? Or offer
some advice on how to resolve my mismatch?  Do I even need the camera
driver with the 3.5 rootfs?  Will omap3isp driver work with this
camera?

Thanks,
-paul

Re: e-CAM56 37x GSTIX with Overo AirSTORM COM

Peter A. Bigot
I got one of these earlier this week and had the same problem except that the driver source was missing.  Both the US distributor and e-con systems support were helpful, and the full distribution tar file that includes the driver source is now available in the software directory under:

http://www.roadnarrows.com/distro/e-con/e-CAM56_37x_GSTIX/

It has some bugs in it and needs some __init/__exit changes for newer kernels but in an preliminary test I was able to update it to work with the 3.5 kernel.  For the particular problem you describe, my solution was to remove the mt9v032 support from the overo board file and defconfig so that driver isn't built/loaded, then if necessary unload the omap3_isp module manually before loading v4l2_driver.ko.

It seems this driver follows the old (2.6.x era) Caspa approach of controlling the ISP flow internally rather than leveraging the kernel media infrastructure to make it externally configurable.  It would take some work to integrate cleanly with the existing Caspa/MT9V032 support on the Gumstix platform and with newer V4L2/OMAP3ISP infrastructure.

Peter

On 08/13/2013 09:49 PM, 雷昊 wrote:
[...]

sandmen
Peter,
I have patched the board-overo.c file,
and compiled the current 3.5 kernel for overo,
and rebuild the Driver Source from Roadnarrows.
The rootfs, boot's and the most things are looking good.

I can't really test the compiled drivers, because my ecam56 not here at the moment.
I'm really interested, on you changes to the driver source.

Can you please share your changes?
Thanks
peter

On 09/22/2013 01:51 PM, sandmen wrote:

> Peter,
> I have patched the board-overo.c file,
> and compiled the current 3.5 kernel for overo,
> and rebuild the Driver Source from Roadnarrows.
> The rootfs, boot's and the most things are looking good.
>
> I can't really test the compiled drivers, because my ecam56 not here at the
> moment.
> I'm really interested, on you changes to the driver source.
>
> Can you please share your changes?

Not easily; there's nowhere to put them, and I'm not supporting them.
They're pretty trivial: mostly static/__init/__exit qualifier changes to
get the driver to build without too many complaints.  If you worked
around the broken crop interface, you're probably all set.

I will say that e-CAM56 is a much better camera than the Caspa.  So is
the Raspberry PI camera, which is pretty awesome for $35 including a
stand (and it worked out of the box).

Peter

Re: e-CAM56 37x GSTIX with Overo AirSTORM COM

Eric97
Hello,

I am using 3.5.7 and having trouble in applying the patch. The build error came out as:
Applying patch 0034-e-CAM56_37x_GSTIX_linux_omap.patch
patching file arch/arm/configs/e-CAM56_37x_GSTIX_linux_omap_3.2_defconfig
patching file arch/arm/mach-omap2/board-overo.c
Hunk #2 FAILED at 557.
1 out of 2 hunks FAILED -- rejects in file arch/arm/mach-omap2/board-overo.c

Knowing that this patch is for 3.2 instead of 3.5, so should I modify this patch to make it work for 3.2?

Thank you,
Eric

Re: e-CAM56 37x GSTIX with Overo AirSTORM COM

Eric97
I have tried to patch and build the driver. But with the following errors.

make[1]: Entering directory `/opt/poky/1.4.2/sysroots/armv7a-vfp-neon-poky-linux-gnueabi/usr/src/kernel'
  CC [M]  /home/nusuav/workspace_cross/eCam56_driver/init_module.o
  CC [M]  /home/nusuav/workspace_cross/eCam56_driver/isp.o
  CC [M]  /home/nusuav/workspace_cross/eCam56_driver/omap_hwr_base.o
  CC [M]  /home/nusuav/workspace_cross/eCam56_driver/ov5640/sens_ov5640.o
/home/nusuav/workspace_cross/eCam56_driver/ov5640/sens_ov5640.c: In function 'ov5640_init':
/home/nusuav/workspace_cross/eCam56_driver/ov5640/sens_ov5640.c:10941:1: warning: 'alias' attribute ignored [-Wattributes]
/home/nusuav/workspace_cross/eCam56_driver/ov5640/sens_ov5640.c: In function 'register_sensor_bus':
/home/nusuav/workspace_cross/eCam56_driver/ov5640/sens_ov5640.c:11531:25: warning: assignment from incompatible pointer type [enabled by default]
  CC [M]  /home/nusuav/workspace_cross/eCam56_driver/v4l2_driver_base.o
arm-poky-linux-gnueabi-ld: unrecognized option '-Wl,-O1'
arm-poky-linux-gnueabi-ld: use the --help option for usage information
make[2]: *** [/home/nusuav/workspace_cross/eCam56_driver/v4l2_driver_base.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [_module_/home/nusuav/workspace_cross/eCam56_driver] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/opt/poky/1.4.2/sysroots/armv7a-vfp-neon-poky-linux-gnueabi/usr/src/kernel'
make: *** [all] Error 2

May I know what the error is exactly from the above? Thank you.

Eric

Re: e-CAM56 37x GSTIX with Overo AirSTORM COM

Eric97
Hi,

I modified the LDFLAGS and now able to build the kernel. However, when I tried to compile the test application program provided by the e-CAM56, came out the new errors complaining about the malloc.h as below:

arm-poky-linux-gnueabi-gcc -I. -I./resource/include resource/src/common.c -c -o resource/src/common.o
In file included from resource/src/../../inc_header.h:52:0,
                 from resource/src/common.c:34:
/opt/poky/1.4.2/sysroots/armv7a-vfp-neon-poky-linux-gnueabi/usr/include/malloc.h:60:14: error: expected declaration specifiers or '...' before '(' token
/opt/poky/1.4.2/sysroots/armv7a-vfp-neon-poky-linux-gnueabi/usr/include/malloc.h:60:1: error: expected declaration specifiers or '...' before numeric constant
/opt/poky/1.4.2/sysroots/armv7a-vfp-neon-poky-linux-gnueabi/usr/include/malloc.h:60:14: error: expected declaration specifiers or '...' before '(' token

What might cause this error? I have configured the kernel path and cross compiler in the Makefile.

Best regards,
Eric