Quantcast

/dev/twl4030-madc gone in linux-omap3-2.6.39

12

/dev/twl4030-madc gone in linux-omap3-2.6.39

dtran11
I just switched to 2.6.39 for my overo and noticed that the device /dev/twl4030-madc is gone. Any clues to how I can get it back?

Thanks.

Re: /dev/twl4030-madc gone in linux-omap3-2.6.39

Steve Sakoman
On Tue, Jul 19, 2011 at 2:01 PM, dtran11 <[hidden email]> wrote:

I just switched to 2.6.39 for my overo and noticed that the device
/dev/twl4030-madc is gone. Any clues to how I can get it back?

The madc driver is now upstream and in the process it moved to the hwmon subsystem.

It is now even easier to access using the /sys/class interface:

root@omap3-multi:~# ls /sys/class/hwmon/hwmon1/device/
curr10_input  in11_input  in3_input  in7_input    power
driver          in12_input  in4_input  in8_input    subsystem
hwmon          in15_input  in5_input  in9_input    temp1_input
in0_input     in2_input   in6_input  modalias    uevent
root@omap3-multi:~# cat /sys/class/hwmon/hwmon1/device/temp1_input
56
root@omap3-multi:~# cat /sys/class/hwmon/hwmon1/device/curr10_input
-750

Steve

Re: /dev/twl4030-madc gone in linux-omap3-2.6.39

dtran11
Thanks for your fast reply Steve. I am able to see /sys/class/hwmon but it is empty. Do not see hwmon1/device. I am using linux-omap3-2.6.39 from the overo-2011.03 branch with the provided defconfig.

Thanks.

sakoman wrote

On Tue, Jul 19, 2011 at 2:32 PM, dtran11 <[hidden email]> wrote:

Thanks for your fast reply Steve. I am able to see /sys/class/hwmon but it is
empty. Do not see hwmon1/device. I am using linux-omap3-2.6.39 from the
overo-2011.03 branch with the provided defconfig.

Make sure your defconfig has CONFIG_TWL4030_MADC and CONFIG_SENSORS_TWL4030_MADC

Steve

Thanks.

sakoman wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 19, 2011 at 2:01 PM, dtran11 <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> I just switched to 2.6.39 for my overo and noticed that the device
>> /dev/twl4030-madc is gone. Any clues to how I can get it back?
>>

> The madc driver is now upstream and in the process it moved to the hwmon
> subsystem.
>
> It is now even easier to access using the /sys/class interface:
>
> root@omap3-multi:~# ls /sys/class/hwmon/hwmon1/device/
> curr10_input  in11_input  in3_input  in7_input    power
> driver          in12_input  in4_input  in8_input    subsystem
> hwmon          in15_input  in5_input  in9_input    temp1_input
> in0_input     in2_input   in6_input  modalias    uevent
> root@omap3-multi:~# cat /sys/class/hwmon/hwmon1/device/temp1_input
> 56
> root@omap3-multi:~# cat /sys/class/hwmon/hwmon1/device/curr10_input
> -750
>
> Steve

Re: /dev/twl4030-madc gone in linux-omap3-2.6.39

dtran11
I think that is my problem. I had CONFIG_SENSORS_TWL4030_MADC as 'm'. Changing it to 'y' and will try again. Thanks.

sakoman wrote

On Tue, Jul 19, 2011 at 3:29 PM, dtran11 <[hidden email]> wrote:

I think that is my problem. I had CONFIG_SENSORS_TWL4030_MADC as 'm'.
Changing it to 'y' and will try again. Thanks.

m for CONFIG_SENSORS_TWL4030_MADC should be fine -- as long as your rootfs has the module!

That might have been your issue.

Steve

sakoman wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 19, 2011 at 2:32 PM, dtran11 <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> Thanks for your fast reply Steve. I am able to see /sys/class/hwmon but
>> it
>> is
>> empty. Do not see hwmon1/device. I am using linux-omap3-2.6.39 from the
>> overo-2011.03 branch with the provided defconfig.
>>

> Make sure your defconfig has CONFIG_TWL4030_MADC and
> CONFIG_SENSORS_TWL4030_MADC
>
> Steve
>

>> Thanks.
>>

>> sakoman wrote:

>> > The madc driver is now upstream and in the process it moved to the
>> hwmon
>> > subsystem.
>> >
>> > It is now even easier to access using the /sys/class interface:
>> >
>> > root@omap3-multi:~# ls /sys/class/hwmon/hwmon1/device/
>> > curr10_input  in11_input  in3_input  in7_input    power
>> > driver          in12_input  in4_input  in8_input    subsystem
>> > hwmon          in15_input  in5_input  in9_input    temp1_input
>> > in0_input     in2_input   in6_input  modalias    uevent
>> > root@omap3-multi:~# cat /sys/class/hwmon/hwmon1/device/temp1_input
>> > 56
>> > root@omap3-multi:~# cat /sys/class/hwmon/hwmon1/device/curr10_input
>> > -750
>> >
>> > Steve

Re: /dev/twl4030-madc gone in linux-omap3-2.6.39

Alex Gibson-3
> On Tue, Jul 19, 2011 at 3:29 PM, dtran11 <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> I think that is my problem. I had CONFIG_SENSORS_TWL4030_MADC as 'm'.
>> Changing it to 'y' and will try again. Thanks.
>>

> m for CONFIG_SENSORS_TWL4030_MADC should be fine -- as long as your rootfs
> has the module!
>
> That might have been your issue.
>
> Steve

Can confirm its working here with a default console image

Is there any doc to describe the changes ?

I need to rewrite a tutorial for students

Thanks

Alex

On Tue, Jul 19, 2011 at 7:41 PM, alxx <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 19, 2011 at 3:29 PM, dtran11 <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> I think that is my problem. I had CONFIG_SENSORS_TWL4030_MADC as 'm'.
>> Changing it to 'y' and will try again. Thanks.
>>

> m for CONFIG_SENSORS_TWL4030_MADC should be fine -- as long as your rootfs
> has the module!
>
> That might have been your issue.
>
> Steve

Can confirm its working here with a default console image

Is there any doc to describe the changes ?

Re: /dev/twl4030-madc gone in linux-omap3-2.6.39

Tuomas Kulve
Hi

On 07/20/2011 05:41 AM, alxx wrote:
> Can confirm its working here with a default console image
>
> Is there any doc to describe the changes ?
>
> I need to rewrite a tutorial for students

Did you get that tutorial written? :)

I'm using kernel 3.0 with couple of hwmon patches from Sakoman's tree
and I got the files in /sys/class/hwmon/hwmon0/device/ but I don't get
any meaningful readings from there.

I have a sonar[1] connected to the ADCIN4 and AGND and I'm feeding it
2.4 volts. My voltage meter shows that it's giving proper values out but
I don't see any changes in in4_input file.

Is there something else I need to do to get the ADC working in Gumstix
Overo?

[1] http://www.maxbotix.com/products/LV.htm

Tuomas

On 29/07/2011 4:40 AM, Tuomas Kulve wrote:

> Hi
>
> On 07/20/2011 05:41 AM, alxx wrote:
>> Can confirm its working here with a default console image
>>
>> Is there any doc to describe the changes ?
>>
>> I need to rewrite a tutorial for students
>
> Did you get that tutorial written? :)
>
> I'm using kernel 3.0 with couple of hwmon patches from Sakoman's tree
> and I got the files in /sys/class/hwmon/hwmon0/device/ but I don't get
> any meaningful readings from there.
>
> I have a sonar[1] connected to the ADCIN4 and AGND and I'm feeding it
> 2.4 volts. My voltage meter shows that it's giving proper values out but
> I don't see any changes in in4_input file.
>
> Is there something else I need to do to get the ADC working in Gumstix
> Overo?
>
> [1] http://www.maxbotix.com/products/LV.htm
>
> Thanks,

Finally getting around to rewriting the tutorial
(for a tutorial class tomorrow)

Did you ever get that working ?

should be hwmon1
/sys/class/hwmon/hwmon1/device/

I've just quickly added a couple of entries to the wiki
so people can find information on the adc's as it appears to be missing
from gumstix.org

http://wiki.gumstix.org/index.php?title=Category:How_to_-_adc
Needs tidying up and more code examples

Alex

On 19/09/2011 6:07 PM, Alex Gibson wrote:

> I've just quickly added a couple of entries to the wiki
> so people can find information on the adc's as it appears to be missing
> from gumstix.org
>
> http://wiki.gumstix.org/index.php?title=Category:How_to_-_adc
> Needs tidying up and more code examples
>
> Alex

Just added a quick example on reading adc's via sysfs and fopen and
fread  (cut down from larger program)

http://wiki.gumstix.org/index.php?title=ADC_overo_2.6.39%2B#Using_sysfs_from_c_and_fopen_and_fread

also included here

#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>
#include <string.h>

FILE *fp;

int main(void)
{

     char read_value[4];
     char adcVal2[6];

     if (( fp = fopen("/sys/class/hwmon/hwmon1/device/in2_input", "r"))
== NULL)
     {
         printf("Can not open hwmon1/device/in2_input \n");
         exit(1);
     }

     rewind(fp);

     fread(&read_value, sizeof(char), 1 , fp);
     strcpy(adcVal2 , read_value);

     fclose(fp);

     printf("\nADC 2 value = %s \n",adcVal2);

    return 0;
}

Alex

Re: /dev/twl4030-madc gone in linux-omap3-2.6.39

zudil
Hi,

I just started to learn OE and decided to switch to recent  from overo 2.26. I used the prebuit-images from gumstix website and also tried recent console image from sakoman without using OE. But both of them didn't have twl4030_madc files (I counldn't see any in2_input ... in7_input in /sys/class/hwmon/hwmon1/device/ or .../hwmon0/device).
So, I made an image as instructed in http://wiki.gumstix.org/index.php?title=Kernel_Reconfiguration

My image is overo 3.0 and now, I have in2_input ... in7_input files in /sys/class/hwmon/hwmon0/device/ (not in hwmon1).
I can read correct output from pin 2 and pin 7 but pin 3-6 are not working. When I check values using
cat /sys/class/hwmon/hwmon0/device/in6_input  and so on
Pin 6 and pin 5 give around 2100 when I give 2.5 V, and give around 800 when I give 1 V. But pin 3 gives round 17 in all inputs and  pin 4 is always at around 970.

1. Why is it so? How can I solve it.
2. Is there any prebuit image available which has adc drivers enabled already, so that we dont need to configure kernel

Thank you

On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 11:14 AM, zudil <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I just started to learn OE and decided to switch to recent  from overo 2.26.
> I used the prebuit-images from gumstix website and also tried recent console
> image from sakoman without using OE. But both of them didn't have
> twl4030_madc files (I counldn't see any in2_input ... in7_input in
> /sys/class/hwmon/hwmon1/device/ or .../hwmon0/device).
> So, I made an image as instructed in
> http://wiki.gumstix.org/index.php?title=Kernel_Reconfiguration
>
> My image is overo 3.0 and now, I have in2_input ... in7_input files in
> /sys/class/hwmon/hwmon0/device/ (not in hwmon1).
> I can read correct output from pin 2 and pin 7 but pin 3-6 are not working.
> When I check values using
> cat /sys/class/hwmon/hwmon0/device/in6_input  and so on
> Pin 6 and pin 5 give around 2100 when I give 2.5 V, and give around 800 when
> I give 1 V. But pin 3 gives round 17 in all inputs and  pin 4 is always at
> around 970.
>
> 1. Why is it so? How can I solve it.

See:

http://www.sakoman.com/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=linux-omap-2.6.git;a=commitdiff;h=8e69860734d81494e5b14b00fecb8b2af598ba32

> 2. Is there any prebuit image available which has adc drivers enabled
> already, so that we dont need to configure kernel

Yes, my images have it enabled.  The device will show up on either
/sys/class/hwmon/hwmon0/device/ or /sys/class/hwmon/hwmon1/device/

On my system:

root@omap3-multi:~# cat /sys/class/hwmon/hwmon0/device/
curr10_input  in11_input    in3_input     in7_input     power/
driver/       in12_input    in4_input     in8_input     subsystem/
hwmon/        in15_input    in5_input     in9_input     temp1_input
in0_input     in2_input     in6_input     modalias      uevent

Steve

Re: /dev/twl4030-madc gone in linux-omap3-2.6.39

zudil
Thank you , Steve,

Do your images have adc pin 3-6 enabled or not?
I tried making a recent console image using your script from your, but it didn't have the twl4030_madc enabled.

I am also trying those patch but I still get adc 3 - 6 image disabled. There must be something wrong on what I'm doing. Could someone tell me where did I go wrong?
1. edited the twl4030_madc.c and ...madc.h to add pin 3-6 enabling code
2. created two patches for twl4030_madc.c and madc.h
3. copied the patches to overo-oe/org.openembedded.dev/recipes/linux/
4. edited ..recipe/linux/linux_omap3_git.bb like this:

SRCREV = 946d9657fd4a095e08c261506c3e2e7ea06f5c7d
SRC_URI = "git://www.sakoman.com/git/linux-omap-2.6.git;branch=omap-3.0-pm;protocol=git \
           file://defconfig \
           file://${BOOT_SPLASH} \
           file://twl4030-madc-c.patch \
           file://twl4030-madc-header.patch \
           "
5. bitbake -c clean virtual/kernel
6. bitbake virtual/kernel
7. bitbake omap3-console-image

Sorry, but I am new in OE and this is my first time working with patches.

On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 5:17 PM, zudil <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Do your images have adc pin 3-6 enabled or not?
> I tried making a recent console image using your script from your, but it
> didn't have the twl4030_madc enabled.

Yes, they do.  Did you check both hwmon0 and hwmon1 devices?

> I am also trying those patch but I still get adc 3 - 6 image disabled. There
> must be something wrong on what I'm doing. Could someone tell me where did I
> go wrong?
> 1. edited the twl4030_madc.c and ...madc.h to add pin 3-6 enabling code
> 2. created two patches for twl4030_madc.c and madc.h
> 3. copied the patches to overo-oe/org.openembedded.dev/recipes/linux/
> 4. edited ..recipe/linux/linux_omap3_git.bb like this:
>
> SRCREV = 946d9657fd4a095e08c261506c3e2e7ea06f5c7d

The head of omap-3.0-pm is 783cd5d7b5307f5a1d7d478194f5f62ed3238db1

No patches should be required.

Steve

> SRC_URI =
> "git://www.sakoman.com/git/linux-omap-2.6.git;branch=omap-3.0-pm;protocol=git
> \
>           file://defconfig \
>           file://${BOOT_SPLASH} \
>           file://twl4030-madc-c.patch \
>           file://twl4030-madc-header.patch \
>           "
> 5. bitbake -c clean virtual/kernel
> 6. bitbake virtual/kernel
> 7. bitbake omap3-console-image
>
> Sorry, but I am new in OE and this is my first time working with patches.

Re: /dev/twl4030-madc gone in linux-omap3-2.6.39

zudil
But, today I made an current image (3.0/omap3-multi, v2011.12) using your script. It has adc driver, but only pin 2 and 7 work properly.
This pins 4, 5 & 6 are inaccurate (give around 2100 when I give 2.5 V) while pin 3 is always close to 0.

Or, did you mean to say, your images have only pin 2 and 7 enabled, too?

Thank you.

Re: /dev/twl4030-madc issues in linux-omap3-2.6.39 (channels 2-6)

thor Farrish
I think I encountered this in a previous build/release.
For some set of releases (2.6.38 - 3.0.?) the MADC
driver didn't initialize channels 2-6.

Steve Sakoman replied:

On Wed, Nov 30, 2011 at 8:07 PM, Steve Sakoman <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 21, 2011 at 7:40 AM, CoryS <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Any luck with this? We are experiencing the same issue.
>
> I tested 10 recent date code COMs and found no issues with madc, so I
> don't think it is a software issue (though that is always possible!)

Well, it turns out that it was a software issue!

There is a bug in the upstream madc driver in 2.6.39 and 3.0 that
results in the madc channels 2 through 6 not being explicitly enabled!

I've added a fix to my omap-3.0-pm repository:

http://www.sakoman.com/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=linux-omap-2.6.git;a=commitdiff;h=8e69860734d81494e5b14b00fecb8b2af598ba32

If you want to use a pre-built GNOME or console image that contains the fix:

http://sakoman.com/category/8-gnome-daily-builds-r13.html#

Steve

On Fri, Mar 16, 2012 at 5:43 AM, zudil <[hidden email]> wrote:
> But, today I made an current image (3.0/omap3-multi, v2011.12) using your
> script. It has adc driver, but only pin 2 and 7 work properly.
> This pins 4, 5 & 6 are inaccurate (give around 2100 when I give 2.5 V) while
> pin 3 is always close to 0.
>
> Or, did you mean to say, your images have only pin 2 and 7 enabled, too?

No, all madc channels work in my image.

I just verified this by downloading the script at:

http://sakoman.com/category/8-gnome-daily-builds-r13.html#

I used the downloaded script to create a console image and then tested
each madc channel by connecting all of them to 1.8V.

The results:

root@omap3-multi:~# cat /sys/class/hwmon/hwmon0/device/in3_input
1818
root@omap3-multi:~# cat /sys/class/hwmon/hwmon0/device/in4_input
1820
root@omap3-multi:~# cat /sys/class/hwmon/hwmon0/device/in5_input
1818
root@omap3-multi:~# cat /sys/class/hwmon/hwmon0/device/in6_input
1813
root@omap3-multi:~# cat /sys/class/hwmon/hwmon0/device/in7_input
1820

As you can see, all are reporting 1800-ish milivolts, exactly what we
would expect.

I's sorry you are having trouble, but I don't think my image is the problem.

Are you using the most recent version of the script downloaded from that page?

Steve

Re: /dev/twl4030-madc gone in linux-omap3-2.6.39

zudil
Hi Steve,

Thanx for confirming that.
Yes, it is the recent image (3.0) from your site, just today, made using the script:
sudo ./mksdcard.sh /dev/sdb overo console current

Do you any clue what could be the problem? Is it hardware, then?

On Fri, Mar 16, 2012 at 9:07 AM, zudil <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Steve,
>
> Thanx for confirming that.
> Yes, it is the recent image (3.0) from your site, just today, made using the
> script:
> sudo ./mksdcard.sh /dev/sdb overo console current
>
> Do you any clue what could be the problem? Is it hardware, then?

What do you get for the following command?

root@omap3-multi:~# uname -a
Linux omap3-multi 3.0.0 #1 Wed Jan 18 16:50:57 PST 2012 armv7l GNU/Linux

Just want to make sure we are running the same kernel.

Steve

12