confused about modules.dep; apparently not created by make

confused about modules.dep; apparently not created by make

Robert Dodier
Administrator
Hello,

I am working with Gumstix buildroot r1545, with Verdex as the hardwaer target.
I erased the Gumstix filesystem root (gumstix-buildroot/build_arm_nofpu/root)
and executed make in the top-level buildroot directory.
Make apparently succeeded and created the image rootfs.arm_nofpu.jffs2.

After burning that (along w/ uImage) onto the Verdex board,
it fails to boot, with a lot of error messages about "Could not load modules.dep".
Sure enough when I go back and look at .../root/lib/modules/2.6.21gum,
modules.dep and the associated module stuff are not there.
But when I look at some previous buildroots, I see modules.dep, etc
under .../root/lib/modules/2.6.21gum.

How is modules.dep and the other modules stuff supposed to be created?
Apparently make didn't do it, and I don't remember & can't find other info.

Thanks for any light you can shed on this.

Robert Dodier

Re: confused about modules.dep; apparently not created by make

Dave Hylands
Hi Robert,

>  I am working with Gumstix buildroot r1545, with Verdex as the hardwaer
>  target.
>  I erased the Gumstix filesystem root
>  (gumstix-buildroot/build_arm_nofpu/root)
>  and executed make in the top-level buildroot directory.
>  Make apparently succeeded and created the image rootfs.arm_nofpu.jffs2.
>
>  After burning that (along w/ uImage) onto the Verdex board,
>  it fails to boot, with a lot of error messages about "Could not load
>  modules.dep".
>  Sure enough when I go back and look at .../root/lib/modules/2.6.21gum,
>  modules.dep and the associated module stuff are not there.
>  But when I look at some previous buildroots, I see modules.dep, etc
>  under .../root/lib/modules/2.6.21gum.
>
>  How is modules.dep and the other modules stuff supposed to be created?
>  Apparently make didn't do it, and I don't remember & can't find other info.

Normally, there is a line in the inittab which runs depmod -a, and
this creates the modules.dep file.

Here's a snippet from buildroot 1574:

# Startup the system
null::sysinit:/bin/mount -t proc proc /proc
null::sysinit:/bin/mount -o remount,rw /
null::sysinit:/sbin/depmod -a
null::sysinit:/etc/init.d/rc.udev start
null::sysinit:/etc/init.d/rc.modules start
null::sysinit:/bin/mount -a
null::sysinit:/bin/hostname -F /etc/hostname
# now run any rc scripts
::sysinit:/etc/init.d/rcS start

--
Dave Hylands
Vancouver, BC, Canada

Re: confused about modules.dep; apparently not created by make

OliverMB
Hi Robert and Dave,

I've had the same problem in the past,
depmod -a did not work and the complete /lib/modules folder
was missing. What did help was erasing the linux kernel folder in
gumstix-buildroot/build_arm_nofpu before running make.

I know, that this is only a workaround and I'm also interested in a better solution!

Oliver

Dave Hylands wrote
Hi Robert,

>  I am working with Gumstix buildroot r1545, with Verdex as the hardwaer
>  target.
>  I erased the Gumstix filesystem root
>  (gumstix-buildroot/build_arm_nofpu/root)
>  and executed make in the top-level buildroot directory.
>  Make apparently succeeded and created the image rootfs.arm_nofpu.jffs2.
>
>  After burning that (along w/ uImage) onto the Verdex board,
>  it fails to boot, with a lot of error messages about "Could not load
>  modules.dep".
>  Sure enough when I go back and look at .../root/lib/modules/2.6.21gum,
>  modules.dep and the associated module stuff are not there.
>  But when I look at some previous buildroots, I see modules.dep, etc
>  under .../root/lib/modules/2.6.21gum.
>
>  How is modules.dep and the other modules stuff supposed to be created?
>  Apparently make didn't do it, and I don't remember & can't find other info.

Normally, there is a line in the inittab which runs depmod -a, and
this creates the modules.dep file.

Here's a snippet from buildroot 1574:

# Startup the system
null::sysinit:/bin/mount -t proc proc /proc
null::sysinit:/bin/mount -o remount,rw /
null::sysinit:/sbin/depmod -a
null::sysinit:/etc/init.d/rc.udev start
null::sysinit:/etc/init.d/rc.modules start
null::sysinit:/bin/mount -a
null::sysinit:/bin/hostname -F /etc/hostname
# now run any rc scripts
::sysinit:/etc/init.d/rcS start

--
Dave Hylands
Vancouver, BC, Canada
http://www.DaveHylands.com/

Re: confused about modules.dep; apparently not created by make

Robert Dodier
Administrator
OliverMB wrote
I've had the same problem in the past,
depmod -a did not work and the complete /lib/modules folder
was missing. What did help was erasing the linux kernel folder in
gumstix-buildroot/build_arm_nofpu before running make.
Yes, erasing gumstix-buildroot/build_arm_nofpu/linux-2.6.21gum
and rebuilding caused modules.dep etc to be created.
So that's good.

I see depmod in /etc/inittab but apparently that didn't have the
expected effect.

best,

Robert Dodier