caspa optics - fixed focus?

Etjui33
caspa optics - fixed focus?

We are currently evaluating the Caspa VL for use in a medical diagnostic device.
We note that, as shipped, the lens focus is fixed with a set screw.
The product is described as "fixed focal length". However, this is not the same as "fixed focus"
1. Is the focused distance pre-set at the factory?
2. What is the focus set at, and what is the focus range tolerance as shipped?

Re: caspa optics - fixed focus?

Etjui33
Thanks Steven -
Actually, we're trying to avoid having to focus them.  I'm trying to figure out if the focus as set at the factory is reliably at some fixed point, or whether they just tighten the set-screw wherever it happens to be.

Re: caspa optics - fixed focus?

ashcharles
Administrator
Hi,

Good question---I'm making a note for the docs.
The camera is not set to any specific focus in the factory. I suspect
they are all coming off the assembly line with similar focus as the
lens is a standard part but no focusing step is performed.
-Ash

On Tue, May 10, 2011 at 5:59 PM, Dave Barnard <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks Steven -
> Actually, we're trying to avoid having to focus them.  I'm trying to figure
> out if the focus as set at the factory is reliably at some fixed point, or
> whether they just tighten the set-screw wherever it happens to be.
>
> Just loosen the set screw and you can focus wherever you want.
>
> On Tue, May 10, 2011 at 11:36 AM, Dave Barnard <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> We are currently evaluating the Caspa VL for use in a medical diagnostic
>> device.
>> We note that, as shipped, the lens focus is fixed with a set screw.
>> The product is described as "fixed focal length". However, this is not the
>> same as "fixed focus"
>> 1. Is the focused distance pre-set at the factory?
>> 2. What is the focus set at, and what is the focus range tolerance as
>> shipped?

Re: caspa optics - fixed focus?

Etjui33
Thanks!