building IBMCAM driver

Dave Touretzky
I'm trying to build the IBMCAM driver for my verdex, using the 270 buildroot
version 1352.  The driver source is in
   build_arm_nofpu/linux-2.6.18gum/drivers/media/video/usbvideo/ibmcam.c.

>From the linux-2.6.18gum directory I do "make menuconfig", select "Device
Drivers" and then "USB Support", but I don't see any of the webcam or V4Linux
stuff there. I went to "Multimedia devices" and enabled V4Linux version 1, which
the drivers/media/video/usbvideo/Kconfig file seemed to indicate was required,
but I still can't get any menu items for webcams under "USB Support" or anywhere
else in the menu tree.

I think the problem may be that I don't have CONFIG_USB_ARCH_HAS_OHCI set, which
wuld set USB, which is required by USB_IBMCAM.  But I don't know how to turn on
this feature, or the VIDEO_DEV feature either.  What am I not seeing?

-- Dave

Re: building IBMCAM driver

Dave Hylands
Hi Dave,

On 5/17/07, Dave Touretzky <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I'm trying to build the IBMCAM driver for my verdex, using the 270 buildroot
> version 1352.  The driver source is in
>   build_arm_nofpu/linux-2.6.18gum/drivers/media/video/usbvideo/ibmcam.c.
>
> >From the linux-2.6.18gum directory I do "make menuconfig",

If you didn't also specify ARCH=arm, then you've hooped the config (it
will have defaulted to x86).

So goto gumstix-buildroot and do
make defconfig
cd build_arm_ofpu
make ARCH=arm menuconfig

--
Dave Hylands
Vancouver, BC, Canada

Re: building IBMCAM driver

Dave Touretzky
Dave Hylands <dhylands <at> gmail.com> writes:

> So goto gumstix-buildroot and do
> make defconfig
> cd build_arm_ofpu

Actually this should be:
  cd build_arm_nofpu/linux*

> make ARCH=arm menuconfig

Thanks, Dave!  This did the trick.  For anyone else looking to add webcam
support, the next few steps in the menuconfig dialog are:

  --> Device drivers --> USB Support --> Support for host-side USB
  --> Multimedia devices --> Video Capture Adapters --> V4L USB Devices
        --> USB IBM (Xirlink) C-it Camera Support

This creates  build_arm_nofpu/linux-2.6.18gum/drivers/media/video/
  usbvideo/ibmcam.ko

 -- Dave Touretzky