Quantcast

boot error for USB OTG

garland3
Hi,

I'm working on a recovery tool for overo that allows an overo to boot
all the way to Linux over USB OTG. This idea is similar to the
beagle-board usb recovery process. The motivation is so that 'fat
fingered' maintenance chaps don't keep losing microSD cards
(http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.linux.distributions.gumstix.general/52077)

My current problem is that when the kernel loads the ramdisk as the
rootfs it throws a segmentation fault or kernel panic. This error is
very inconsistent in that sometimes I can boot all the way to
Angstrom, and sometimes I get a kernel panic, but never the same
things twice in a row. This behaviour is really strange since I'm
on the overo.

Any ideas on why it inconsistently fails or partially succeeds while booting?

In bitbake I'm running.
bitbake virtual/kernel
bitbake min
bitbake u-boot
and I made my own x-loader so that I could add usb.

Attached is min.bb and a script that I use to cut out udev and some
other stuff at the beginning to make it boot faster. I was sort of
following Scott Ellis' instructions here:
http://www.jumpnowtek.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=65:gumstix-quick-boot&catid=35:gumstix&Itemid=67

Also attached are 3 error logs. All 3 came from trying to boot the
exact same rootfs and kernel, and yet they all fail at different
locations.

Thanks for the help!

Anthony G.

error_log1.txt (19K) Download Attachment
error_log2.txt (31K) Download Attachment
error_log3.txt (16K) Download Attachment
mini.bb (660 bytes) Download Attachment
cutting_init_scripts.sh (1K) Download Attachment

Re: boot error for USB OTG

garland3
Here is some more data that might help in solving the problem.

I can full boot into Angstrom consistently over the USB OTG when using a summit expansion board with OMAP3530-GP ES3.1, but I get all the errors that I described before when I was using a tobi expansion board with OMAP3630/3730-GP ES2.1.

The software that I'm sending to each overo is exactly the same, but the results are different??

Any ideas?

Thanks

Anthony

Re: boot error for USB OTG

Neil MacMunn
Hi Anthony,

Could you try Summit+3730 and Tobi+3530 for some additional data points?

-
Neil

On Fri, Jun 29, 2012 at 12:35 PM, garland3 <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Here is some more data that might help in solving the problem.
>
> I can full boot into Angstrom consistently over the USB OTG when using a
> summit expansion board with OMAP3530-GP ES3.1, but I get all the errors that
> I described before when I was using a tobi expansion board with
> OMAP3630/3730-GP ES2.1.
>
> The software that I'm sending to each overo is exactly the same, but the
> results are different??
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks
>
> Anthony

Re: boot error for USB OTG

garland3
Neil,
Thanks for showing interesting in the problem. The fact that different
hardware gave different results lead me and my colleague to believe a
hardware problem might be the cause. Because overo only tests the USB
OTG peripheral boot during a power on (not a reset), I was powering
the overo from a power strip which I could easily switch on/off.
However we determined that the power-strip switch was producing a lot
of noise when I would switch it and therefore would cause the transfer
of data over usb OTG to be slightly corrupted in different locations
each time I powered on the overo (hence the randomness of the errors).
Solution, hold down hard the power-strip switch while x-loader is
receiving files, or use a different power supply. Both work.
As far as why Summit and Tobi act different: the power supplies  (on
the board) are different and the perhaps the summit circuits are
better suited for power signal conditioning.
Both summit and Tobi with either 3730 and 3530 work fine in any
combination now.
Thanks,
Anthony