Quantcast

YoctoProject Meta-Gumstix BSP has been posted

12

YoctoProject Meta-Gumstix BSP has been posted

adam.yh.lee
Hello everybody :)

A new version of YoctoProject Meta-Gumstix BSP layer has been made public.  It is currently running on Kernel 3.5. There are console version and XFCE desktop version.  Depending on your need, you can start from either one.

The current stable version is developed to be compatible with YoctoProject Poky version 'Denzil' 7.

More information is available here

Please feel free to participate and make contributions. Also ideas and suggestions are appreciated.

Adam

Re: YoctoProject Meta-Gumstix BSP has been posted

Trevor Woerner-6
Hi Adam,

On Mon, Oct 1, 2012 at 10:35 PM, adam.yh.lee <[hidden email]> wrote:
> More information is available  here
> <http://gumstix.org/software-development/open-embedded/209-yocto.html>

Is this an "official" layer from Gumstix?

Best regards,
    Trevor

Re: YoctoProject Meta-Gumstix BSP has been posted

ashcharles
Hey Trevor,

Yes---this is an official layer from Gumstix (but that certainly
doesn't stop others from contributing).  It is a work in progress and
feedback is welcome as we're keen to make it a great BSP layer for
Overo and future Gumstix boards.

--Ash

On Mon, Oct 1, 2012 at 8:27 PM, Trevor Woerner <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Adam,
>
> On Mon, Oct 1, 2012 at 10:35 PM, adam.yh.lee <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> More information is available  here
>> <http://gumstix.org/software-development/open-embedded/209-yocto.html>
>
> Is this an "official" layer from Gumstix?
>
> Best regards,
>     Trevor

Re: YoctoProject Meta-Gumstix BSP has been posted

Trevor Woerner-6
Hey Ash,

On Tue, Oct 2, 2012 at 11:20 AM, Ash Charles <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Yes---this is an official layer from Gumstix (but that certainly
> doesn't stop others from contributing).

Wow, that's awesome. Does this mean the old OpenEmbedded instructions
will become deprecated in favour of this Yocto procedure?

Since this is an official layer from the manufacturer, I would suggest
looking into getting it added to:
http://www.openembedded.org/wiki/LayerIndex

Although I already see a collision in the making... :-(

Re: YoctoProject Meta-Gumstix BSP has been posted

dtran11
What is the difference between Yocto and OE-core?

On Tue, Oct 2, 2012 at 12:07 PM, dtran11 <[hidden email]> wrote:
> What is the difference between Yocto and OE-core?

Please have a look at any of the extensive documentation provided by
the Yocto Project:

    http://www.yoctoproject.org
    http://www.yoctoproject.org/about
    https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/FAQ
    http://www.yoctoproject.org/documentation
    http://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/current/yocto-project-qs/yocto-project-qs.html

In particular you might be interested in:

    https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/FAQ#What_is_the_difference_between_OpenEmbedded_and_the_Yocto_Project.3F

Re: YoctoProject Meta-Gumstix BSP has been posted

dtran11
Thanks for the info. I am downloading the pre-built yocto binaries right now from gumstix.org. Does anyone know which Linux Distribution it is? I tried "uname -a" but it only says "Linux overo" which is pretty generic.

thanks.

On Tue, Oct 2, 2012 at 8:57 AM, Trevor Woerner <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Wow, that's awesome. Does this mean the old OpenEmbedded instructions
> will become deprecated in favour of this Yocto procedure?
Yes.

> Since this is an official layer from the manufacturer, I would suggest
> looking into getting it added to:
> http://www.openembedded.org/wiki/LayerIndex
Working with Yocto now to get official blessing :-)

> Although I already see a collision in the making... :-(
Andreas has kindly agreed to change his meta-gumstix layer to a
meta-gumstix-deprecated layer in favour of this one.

--Ash

Re: YoctoProject Meta-Gumstix BSP has been posted

Denys Dmytriyenko
On Tue, Oct 02, 2012 at 10:46:00AM -0700, dtran11 wrote:
> Thanks for the info. I am downloading the pre-built yocto binaries right now
> from gumstix.org. Does anyone know which Linux Distribution it is? I tried
> "uname -a" but it only says "Linux overo" which is pretty generic.

The distro is called Poky...

--
Denys

On Tue, Oct 02, 2012 at 10:54:01AM -0700, Ash Charles wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 2, 2012 at 8:57 AM, Trevor Woerner <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Wow, that's awesome. Does this mean the old OpenEmbedded instructions
> > will become deprecated in favour of this Yocto procedure?
> Yes.
> >
> > Since this is an official layer from the manufacturer, I would suggest
> > looking into getting it added to:
> > http://www.openembedded.org/wiki/LayerIndex
> Working with Yocto now to get official blessing :-)
> >
> > Although I already see a collision in the making... :-(
> Andreas has kindly agreed to change his meta-gumstix layer to a
> meta-gumstix-deprecated layer in favour of this one.

May I suggest less dramatic renaming? What about meta-gumstix-community or
something like that?

In light of this agreement with Andreas, I wouldn't mind updating the
OpenEmbedded LayerIndex Wiki page above. Or you can talk to Paul Eggleton for
the same.

--
Denys

On Tue, Oct 02, 2012 at 09:07:30AM -0700, dtran11 wrote:
> What is the difference between Yocto and OE-core?

I know everybody pretty much hates analogies, but here's one anyway, just for
fun... :) Well, some things are not exactly 100% match, but pretty close:

Yocto Project = Canonical - an organization and an umbrella entity for projects underneath
Poky = Ubuntu - a Linux distribution, the main product produced by above
OE-Core = kernel - a center/core piece of the above product, developed by broader community

Like I said, the analogy is quite close, but there are some inconsistencies...

--
Denys

Re: YoctoProject Meta-Gumstix BSP has been posted

adam.yh.lee
It's not based on a single distribution.
If you would like to know what's exactly in it, take a look at these two files in meta-gumstix directory:

Hope it helps!

Adam

On Tue, Oct 2, 2012 at 10:46 AM, dtran11 <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks for the info. I am downloading the pre-built yocto binaries right now
from gumstix.org. Does anyone know which Linux Distribution it is? I tried
"uname -a" but it only says "Linux overo" which is pretty generic.

thanks.

Re: YoctoProject Meta-Gumstix BSP has been posted

Philip Balister
On 10/01/2012 10:35 PM, adam.yh.lee wrote:

> Hello everybody :)
>
> A new version of YoctoProject Meta-Gumstix BSP layer has been made public.
> It is currently running on Kernel 3.5. There are console version and XFCE
> desktop version.  Depending on your need, you can start from either one.
>
> The current stable version is developed to be compatible with YoctoProject
> Poky version 'Denzil' 7.
>
> More information is available  here
> <http://gumstix.org/software-development/open-embedded/209-yocto.html>
>
> Please feel free to participate and make contributions. Also ideas and
> suggestions are appreciated.

It is "The Yocto Project", not Yocto :)

Can you change the name of the page to something more like that.

Thanks,

Philip

> Adam

Re: YoctoProject Meta-Gumstix BSP has been posted

nikkadim
Looks like we should rename uImage.bin --> uImage  (in http://cumulus.gumstix.org/images/angstrom/developer/yocto/)
for right boot from SD card.

Because now with uImage.bin we've got:

** Unable to read "uImage" from mmc 0:1 **
Booting from nand ...

no devices available
Wrong Image Format for bootm command
ERROR: can't get kernel image!
Overo #

PS: ..and thank you for 3.5 kernel!

--
Rogoshchenkov Nikolay

On Mon, Oct 1, 2012 at 10:35 PM, adam.yh.lee <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello everybody :)

A new version of YoctoProject Meta-Gumstix BSP layer has been made public.
It is currently running on Kernel 3.5. There are console version and XFCE
desktop version.  Depending on your need, you can start from either one.

The current stable version is developed to be compatible with YoctoProject
Poky version 'Denzil' 7.

More information is available  here
<http://gumstix.org/software-development/open-embedded/209-yocto.html>

Please feel free to participate and make contributions. Also ideas and
suggestions are appreciated.

Adam

Re: YoctoProject Meta-Gumstix BSP has been posted

JamesAng
adam.yh.lee wrote
Hello everybody :)

A new version of YoctoProject Meta-Gumstix BSP layer has been made public.  It is currently running on Kernel 3.5. There are console version and XFCE desktop version.  Depending on your need, you can start from either one.

The current stable version is developed to be compatible with YoctoProject Poky version 'Denzil' 7.

More information is available here

Please feel free to participate and make contributions. Also ideas and suggestions are appreciated.

Adam
This piece of news is very exciting and I look forward to learning and using the new workflow; including the 'repo' git-management tools.

James Ang

Re: YoctoProject Meta-Gumstix BSP has been posted

JamesAng
Hello Adam & Ash,

I just tried the console image with Overo FE/IronSTORM + Tobi, an 4-port, powered USB hub connected to the OTG port with a keyboard and mouse.

The hub, keyboard and mouse are not detected and can't work.
The same thing with the previous v3.2 kernel too.

It's working with the v3.0 kernel.

Even switching to the USB host port, the hub, KB and mouse are still not working.

Please advise.

Thanks.

James Ang.

Re: YoctoProject Meta-Gumstix BSP has been posted

JamesAng

A small correction to my earlier statement,

On Oct 3, 2012 3:17 PM, "JamesAng" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello Adam & Ash,
>
> I just tried the console image with Overo FE/IronSTORM + Tobi, an 4-port,
> powered USB hub connected to the OTG port with a keyboard and mouse.
>
> The hub, keyboard and mouse are not detected and can't work.
> The same thing with the previous v3.2 kernel too.

The hub is detected but it get suspended immediately and does not wake up. USB peripherals attached to the hub are not detected and doesn't cause the hub to wakeup too.

I've read that this happened since v3.2 as there's a change in USB subsystem.

> It's working with the v3.0 kernel.
>
> Even switching to the USB host port, the hub, KB and mouse are still not
> working.

Please advise how to workaround this occurrence.

Thanks.

James Ang

Re: YoctoProject Meta-Gumstix BSP has been posted

Andreas Müller-2
On Tue, Oct 2, 2012 at 8:02 PM, Denys Dmytriyenko <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 02, 2012 at 10:54:01AM -0700, Ash Charles wrote:
>> On Tue, Oct 2, 2012 at 8:57 AM, Trevor Woerner <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > Wow, that's awesome. Does this mean the old OpenEmbedded instructions
>> > will become deprecated in favour of this Yocto procedure?
>> Yes.
>> >
>> > Since this is an official layer from the manufacturer, I would suggest
>> > looking into getting it added to:
>> > http://www.openembedded.org/wiki/LayerIndex
>> Working with Yocto now to get official blessing :-)
>> >
>> > Although I already see a collision in the making... :-(
>> Andreas has kindly agreed to change his meta-gumstix layer to a
>> meta-gumstix-deprecated layer in favour of this one.
>
> May I suggest less dramatic renaming? What about meta-gumstix-community or
> something like that?
I don't have much of a preference here. Would meta-gumstix-community
be Ok for gumstix? If no complaints I will rename it on monday 8th.

> In light of this agreement with Andreas, I wouldn't mind updating the
> OpenEmbedded LayerIndex Wiki page above. Or you can talk to Paul Eggleton for
> the same.
I prefer to have the official meta-gumstix in the layer index although
I personally will use my layer for a while because meta-gumstix layer
is much more than a BSP (too much in my opinion) and therefore linked
to stable release I am not working with at the moment.

Andreas

12