Yocto package manager

Kerry Dungan
Hi, I'm using the yocto 3.5 for overo.

The gumstix man page for package installation at http://gumstix.org/add-software-packages.html uses the opkg package manager. However, my yocto build does not have this application. I have determined that the latest version of yocto contains the smart package manager. For example, I type:

smart install python-numpy

The result is:

error: 'python-numpy' matches no packages

Does anyone know how to set up the smart installer to install packages like those listed at http://cumulus.gumstix.org/feeds/unstable/ipk/glibc/armv7a/python/ ?

Thanks,
Kerry

Re: Yocto package manager

Trevor Woerner-6
Hi Kerry,

On 12/18/13 08:57, Kerry Dungan wrote:
> However, my yocto build does not have this application.

Try having a look at this:

http://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/latest/mega-manual/mega-manual.html#using-runtime-package-management

Basically you need to:
- choose package_ipk for PACKAGE_CLASSES
- add "package-management" to your IMAGE_FEATURES
- setup an http server which points to your tmp/deploy/ipk directory
- define FEED_DEPLOYDIR_BASE_URI to point to your http server and feed
location

Once your target is running you'll need to run "opkg update", then you
can use "opkg" to list and install packages from your feed repository.

Best regards,
    Trevor

Re: Yocto package manager

Kerry Dungan
I loaded the prebuilt image from gumstix site http://gumstix.org/download-prebuilt-images.html. My overo air is running and communications are established. I did not want to create my own image, just install some python packages.

opkg...command not found

Does this mean that I need to create my own image to enable package management?

Thanks,
Kerry

On Wed, Dec 18, 2013 at 9:10 AM, Trevor Woerner <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Kerry,

On 12/18/13 08:57, Kerry Dungan wrote:
> However, my yocto build does not have this application.

Try having a look at this:

http://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/latest/mega-manual/mega-manual.html#using-runtime-package-management

Basically you need to:
- choose package_ipk for PACKAGE_CLASSES
- add "package-management" to your IMAGE_FEATURES
- setup an http server which points to your tmp/deploy/ipk directory
- define FEED_DEPLOYDIR_BASE_URI to point to your http server and feed
location

Once your target is running you'll need to run "opkg update", then you
can use "opkg" to list and install packages from your feed repository.

Best regards,
    Trevor

Re: Yocto package manager

adam
Hi Kerry, which python packages would you like to install?

Let me know,

Adam

On Wed, Dec 18, 2013 at 11:14 AM, Kerry Dungan <[hidden email]> wrote:
I loaded the prebuilt image from gumstix site http://gumstix.org/download-prebuilt-images.html. My overo air is running and communications are established. I did not want to create my own image, just install some python packages.

opkg...command not found

Does this mean that I need to create my own image to enable package management?

Thanks,
Kerry

On Wed, Dec 18, 2013 at 9:10 AM, Trevor Woerner <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Kerry,

On 12/18/13 08:57, Kerry Dungan wrote:
> However, my yocto build does not have this application.

Try having a look at this:

http://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/latest/mega-manual/mega-manual.html#using-runtime-package-management

Basically you need to:
- choose package_ipk for PACKAGE_CLASSES
- add "package-management" to your IMAGE_FEATURES
- setup an http server which points to your tmp/deploy/ipk directory
- define FEED_DEPLOYDIR_BASE_URI to point to your http server and feed
location

Once your target is running you'll need to run "opkg update", then you
can use "opkg" to list and install packages from your feed repository.

Best regards,
    Trevor

Re: Yocto package manager

Kerry Dungan
I would like numpy and sqlite3. In ubuntu to make this happen, I would install

apt-get install python-numpy
apt-get install sqlite3
apt-get install python-pysqlite2

(http://dev.e-taxonomy.eu/trac/wiki/SQLiteInstallDebianEtch)

Thanks,
Kerry

On Wed, Dec 18, 2013 at 2:18 PM, Adam Lee <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Kerry, which python packages would you like to install?

Let me know,

Adam

On Wed, Dec 18, 2013 at 11:14 AM, Kerry Dungan <[hidden email]> wrote:
I loaded the prebuilt image from gumstix site http://gumstix.org/download-prebuilt-images.html. My overo air is running and communications are established. I did not want to create my own image, just install some python packages.

opkg...command not found

Does this mean that I need to create my own image to enable package management?

Thanks,
Kerry

On Wed, Dec 18, 2013 at 9:10 AM, Trevor Woerner <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Kerry,

On 12/18/13 08:57, Kerry Dungan wrote:
> However, my yocto build does not have this application.

Try having a look at this:

http://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/latest/mega-manual/mega-manual.html#using-runtime-package-management

Basically you need to:
- choose package_ipk for PACKAGE_CLASSES
- add "package-management" to your IMAGE_FEATURES
- setup an http server which points to your tmp/deploy/ipk directory
- define FEED_DEPLOYDIR_BASE_URI to point to your http server and feed
location

Once your target is running you'll need to run "opkg update", then you
can use "opkg" to list and install packages from your feed repository.

Best regards,
    Trevor

Re: Yocto package manager

Kerry Dungan
Hi Adam,

I'm not sure you need to make an image with my particular packages. I would just be happy to see opkg added to the image so that I can add any packages in the repository.

Thanks,
Kerry

On Wed, Dec 18, 2013 at 2:37 PM, Kerry Dungan <[hidden email]> wrote:
I would like numpy and sqlite3. In ubuntu to make this happen, I would install

apt-get install python-numpy
apt-get install sqlite3
apt-get install python-pysqlite2

(http://dev.e-taxonomy.eu/trac/wiki/SQLiteInstallDebianEtch)

Thanks,
Kerry

On Wed, Dec 18, 2013 at 2:18 PM, Adam Lee <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Kerry, which python packages would you like to install?

Let me know,

Adam

On Wed, Dec 18, 2013 at 11:14 AM, Kerry Dungan <[hidden email]> wrote:
I loaded the prebuilt image from gumstix site http://gumstix.org/download-prebuilt-images.html. My overo air is running and communications are established. I did not want to create my own image, just install some python packages.

opkg...command not found

Does this mean that I need to create my own image to enable package management?

Thanks,
Kerry

On Wed, Dec 18, 2013 at 9:10 AM, Trevor Woerner <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Kerry,

On 12/18/13 08:57, Kerry Dungan wrote:
> However, my yocto build does not have this application.

Try having a look at this:

http://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/latest/mega-manual/mega-manual.html#using-runtime-package-management

Basically you need to:
- choose package_ipk for PACKAGE_CLASSES
- add "package-management" to your IMAGE_FEATURES
- setup an http server which points to your tmp/deploy/ipk directory
- define FEED_DEPLOYDIR_BASE_URI to point to your http server and feed
location

Once your target is running you'll need to run "opkg update", then you
can use "opkg" to list and install packages from your feed repository.

Best regards,
    Trevor

Re: Yocto package manager

adam
Hi Kerry, ideally those python packages can be installed from Gumstix Smart repository. At the moment the repository doesn't contain your packages because we are not building them.
I added them to my list of packages for now. Once we release Yocto 1.5 based image, I will spend more time building more resourceful repository.

Does this make sense to you? Rather than opkg, you will be able to 'smart install [package]'.

Let me know,

Adam

On Fri, Dec 20, 2013 at 11:56 AM, Kerry Dungan <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Adam,

I'm not sure you need to make an image with my particular packages. I would just be happy to see opkg added to the image so that I can add any packages in the repository.

Thanks,
Kerry

On Wed, Dec 18, 2013 at 2:37 PM, Kerry Dungan <[hidden email]> wrote:
I would like numpy and sqlite3. In ubuntu to make this happen, I would install

apt-get install python-numpy
apt-get install sqlite3
apt-get install python-pysqlite2

(http://dev.e-taxonomy.eu/trac/wiki/SQLiteInstallDebianEtch)

Thanks,
Kerry

On Wed, Dec 18, 2013 at 2:18 PM, Adam Lee <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Kerry, which python packages would you like to install?

Let me know,

Adam

On Wed, Dec 18, 2013 at 11:14 AM, Kerry Dungan <[hidden email]> wrote:
I loaded the prebuilt image from gumstix site http://gumstix.org/download-prebuilt-images.html. My overo air is running and communications are established. I did not want to create my own image, just install some python packages.

opkg...command not found

Does this mean that I need to create my own image to enable package management?

Thanks,
Kerry

On Wed, Dec 18, 2013 at 9:10 AM, Trevor Woerner <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Kerry,

On 12/18/13 08:57, Kerry Dungan wrote:
> However, my yocto build does not have this application.

Try having a look at this:

http://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/latest/mega-manual/mega-manual.html#using-runtime-package-management

Basically you need to:
- choose package_ipk for PACKAGE_CLASSES
- add "package-management" to your IMAGE_FEATURES
- setup an http server which points to your tmp/deploy/ipk directory
- define FEED_DEPLOYDIR_BASE_URI to point to your http server and feed
location

Once your target is running you'll need to run "opkg update", then you
can use "opkg" to list and install packages from your feed repository.

Best regards,
    Trevor

Re: Yocto package manager

Kerry Dungan
Yes. I like your smart plan. Kerry

On Fri, Dec 20, 2013 at 3:03 PM, Adam Lee <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Kerry, ideally those python packages can be installed from Gumstix Smart repository. At the moment the repository doesn't contain your packages because we are not building them.
I added them to my list of packages for now. Once we release Yocto 1.5 based image, I will spend more time building more resourceful repository.

Does this make sense to you? Rather than opkg, you will be able to 'smart install [package]'.

Let me know,

Adam

On Fri, Dec 20, 2013 at 11:56 AM, Kerry Dungan <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Adam,

I'm not sure you need to make an image with my particular packages. I would just be happy to see opkg added to the image so that I can add any packages in the repository.

Thanks,
Kerry

On Wed, Dec 18, 2013 at 2:37 PM, Kerry Dungan <[hidden email]> wrote:
I would like numpy and sqlite3. In ubuntu to make this happen, I would install

apt-get install python-numpy
apt-get install sqlite3
apt-get install python-pysqlite2

(http://dev.e-taxonomy.eu/trac/wiki/SQLiteInstallDebianEtch)

Thanks,
Kerry

On Wed, Dec 18, 2013 at 2:18 PM, Adam Lee <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Kerry, which python packages would you like to install?

Let me know,

Adam

On Wed, Dec 18, 2013 at 11:14 AM, Kerry Dungan <[hidden email]> wrote:
I loaded the prebuilt image from gumstix site http://gumstix.org/download-prebuilt-images.html. My overo air is running and communications are established. I did not want to create my own image, just install some python packages.

opkg...command not found

Does this mean that I need to create my own image to enable package management?

Thanks,
Kerry

On Wed, Dec 18, 2013 at 9:10 AM, Trevor Woerner <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Kerry,

On 12/18/13 08:57, Kerry Dungan wrote:
> However, my yocto build does not have this application.

Try having a look at this:

http://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/latest/mega-manual/mega-manual.html#using-runtime-package-management

Basically you need to:
- choose package_ipk for PACKAGE_CLASSES
- add "package-management" to your IMAGE_FEATURES
- setup an http server which points to your tmp/deploy/ipk directory
- define FEED_DEPLOYDIR_BASE_URI to point to your http server and feed
location

Once your target is running you'll need to run "opkg update", then you
can use "opkg" to list and install packages from your feed repository.

Best regards,
    Trevor

Re: Yocto package manager

maxbc
I've recently moved to Yocto on gumstix and I'm a bit lost in the new package management.

I'm using images from http://wiki.gumstix.org/index.php?title=Caspa_camera_boards and never had to create my own image.

My question is : is it possible to install with Smart the equivalent of the old task-native-sdk? I tried :
 : smart install packagegroup-core-sdk
and got the error :
Computing transaction...
error: Can't install packagegroup-core-sdk-1.0-r9.0@all: no package provides ccache

I have no idea what this means and I'm running out of options to compile natively (I mainly need g++ and make).

Thanks for your reply !
Maximilien

Re: Yocto package manager

adam
What does `smart channel --show` show?

The image in the wiki is old. You might have to switch to an older corresponding package repo.

Adam

On Fri, Mar 13, 2015 at 11:38 AM, maxbc [via Gumstix] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,
I've recently moved to Yocto on gumstix and I'm a bit lost in the new package management.

I'm using images from http://wiki.gumstix.org/index.php?title=Caspa_camera_boards and never had to create my own image.

My question is : is it possible to install with Smart the equivalent of the old task-native-sdk? I tried :
 : smart install packagegroup-core-sdk
and got the error :
Computing transaction...
error: Can't install packagegroup-core-sdk-1.0-r9.0@all: no package provides ccache

I have no idea what this means and I'm running out of options to compile natively (I mainly need g++ and make).

Thanks for your reply !
Maximilien

http://gumstix.8.x6.nabble.com/Yocto-package-manager-tp4968460p4969761.html
To start a new topic under Gumstix, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Gumstix, click here.

Re: Yocto package manager

maxbc
Here's what the output is :

root@overo:~$  smart channel --show
[url0-all]
type = rpm-md
priority = 25
baseurl = https://packages.gumstix.com/dev//rpm/all

[rpmsys]
type = rpm-sys

[url0-overo]
type = rpm-md
priority = 15
baseurl = https://packages.gumstix.com/dev//rpm/overo

[url0-armv7a_vfp_neon]
type = rpm-md
priority = 20
baseurl = https://packages.gumstix.com/dev//rpm/armv7a_vfp_neon

I don't even know which Yocto version the build is based on.

I also tried installing packagegroup-core-buildessential but it resolved in a missing dependency as well (cpp-symlinks). Maybe the current dev packages have nothing in common with this image from last April? If I can't fix the links, maybe I'll just start digging into OpenEmbedded but I want to avoid it (I don't even have enough space on my partition to do that!)

Thanks for the quick answer !

Re: Yocto package manager

LongQi
Hi, May I ask if I can set a existing repository like debian for my yocto image if I am using the same CPU with the repository. it'll be something like this:
Board: Beagle-bone Black,
Image: built by yocto with deb run-time Package Management enabled
Repository: deb [arch=armhf] http://debian.beagleboard.org/packages wheezy-bbb main
Is it OK? I really want to know if it is OK before I compile it.