Quantcast

Yocto, Gumstix/Overo, and Power Management

Yocto, Gumstix/Overo, and Power Management

Arne Lie
Hi again,

Even though Yocto finally builds and boots my Overo, I am yet not satisfied. I seek a kernel with good power efficiency, i.e., I need to tweak the Power Management. I find a lot of references to kernel 2.6.38/39, and even 3.0, of Sakoman, that was tailored for PM, so these builds have _pm as extension. Using legacy OpenEmbedded, I have not managed to make these boot by Overo, even the pre-built kernels did not.

My host computer is Ubuntu 12.04, and I have learned the lesson that OpenEmbedded do not work for this platform. So, either I have to setup a new host computer and Ubuntu 10.04, or I try Yocto. So, I ended up with Yocto, and have finally made it compile and boot on the Overo platform (see my previous mail).

So, the question is this:
* where should I seek information in order to build Yocto (which is only Linux 3.2 as far as I can tell) with the PM tools as e.g. specified in http://elinux.org/OMAP_Power_Management and http://wiki.gumstix.org/index.php?title=Category:How_to_-_Low_Power ?

Hoping for some advice. :)

Best regards

Arne Lie
SINTEF ICT

Re: Yocto, Gumstix/Overo, and Power Management

Scott Ellis
Of course you can use different kernel versions with Yocto, just add a recipe.

I believe the Gumsix Yocto repo uses 3.5 by default. I think Sakoman uses 3.6, but
I'm not sure. Check those repos for example recipes.

Like others, the instructions on my page are primarily for my use, so I default to the
kernel that suits me.

Re: Yocto, Gumstix/Overo, and Power Management

Arne Lie
Hm, I guess I have to invest some more time in the Yocto architecture before moving any further. But thanks for the tips, I will investigate and post results when done.

Best regards
Arnie

Jonathan Kunkee

Also note that when asked, Steve indicated that enough PM patches had been upstreamed that he would no longer have a PM branch. So, the answer may be that you simple don't need a special kernel anymore- I'd dig under /sys and see what was there.

My 2c,
Jon

On Jan 15, 2013 8:06 AM, "Arne Lie" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hm, I guess I have to invest some more time in the Yocto architecture before moving any further. But thanks for the tips, I will investigate and post results when done.

Best regards
Arnie

Thanks a lot for that tip, too! :-)

/Arne