Quantcast

Yocto/Bitbake - How to choose kernel version

Yocto/Bitbake - How to choose kernel version

hododav
I'm trying to build a Gumstix console image with kernel version 3.2 using the instructions from the Gumstix Github repo:
https://github.com/gumstix/Gumstix-YoctoProject-Repo

The build process hangs while downloading source for the linux-sakoman_3.5 recipe.  Looking in the downloads folder, the 3.2 kernel source has already been downloaded.

A few questions on this:
1) Where in the images/recipes/conf files is the kernel version to use set?  How do I tell Yocto/bitbake that I want to build the 3.2 kernel?
2) Why are both kernel sources downloaded for the gumstix-console-image?
3) Any ideas on why bitbake hangs on the fetch step of linux-sakoman_3.5?  I've checked out the repo manually and it works fine and left the fetch step running overnight to see if it was just slow.

Any help would be appreciated.

David

Re: Yocto/Bitbake - How to choose kernel version

adam
Good morning, to set the specific kernel version, take a look at below:
http://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/1.1/poky-ref-manual/poky-ref-manual.html#var-PREFERRED_VERSION

You probably want this specification in overo.inc file (meta-gumstix/conf/machine/).

Fetching failure can be a result of busy server. I've seen it happen a number of times. Of ~3000 required packages, any number of package sources could be down at any moment. If Steve's server is slow, you can modify the kernel 3.5 recipe to point at git://github.com/gumstix/linux.git. I have been trying to push an updated meta-gumstix layer (number of changes including kernel source hosted at Github), but haven't had the chance yet.

Hope that helped!

Adam

On Fri, Dec 21, 2012 at 9:07 AM, hododav [via Gumstix] <[hidden email]> wrote:
I'm trying to build a Gumstix console image with kernel version 3.2 using the instructions from the Gumstix Github repo:
https://github.com/gumstix/Gumstix-YoctoProject-Repo

The build process hangs while downloading source for the linux-sakoman_3.5 recipe.  Looking in the downloads folder, the 3.2 kernel source has already been downloaded.

A few questions on this:
1) Where in the images/recipes/conf files is the kernel version to use set?  How do I tell Yocto/bitbake that I want to build the 3.2 kernel?
2) Why are both kernel sources downloaded for the gumstix-console-image?
3) Any ideas on why bitbake hangs on the fetch step of linux-sakoman_3.5?  I've checked out the repo manually and it works fine and left the fetch step running overnight to see if it was just slow.

Any help would be appreciated.

David

http://gumstix.8.n6.nabble.com/Yocto-Bitbake-How-to-choose-kernel-version-tp4966322.html
To start a new topic under Gumstix, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Gumstix, click here.