Quantcast

Writing images to onboard nand

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
10 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Writing images to onboard nand

Thomas Davis-4
I am kind of stuck on this part and don't know what to do and need some assistance.  I have the script and image files on the microSD card, but I don't see them when I login to the Overo.  I am trying to write the images to the onboard nand flash.

http://www.gumstix.net/Setup-and-Programming/view/Overo-Setup-and-Programming/Writing-images-to-onboard-nand/111.html

--
Thomas Davis
Jackson State University
Computer Engineering Major

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Palm PDK Hot Apps Program offers developers who use the
Plug-In Development Kit to bring their C/C++ apps to Palm for a share
of $1 Million in cash or HP Products. Visit us here for more details:
http://p.sf.net/sfu/dev2dev-palm
_______________________________________________
gumstix-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gumstix-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Writing images to onboard nand

Benny B. Simonsen
You must boot from the SD card. I guess you have booted from the NAND partition.
Check here howto makea bootable SD http://www.gumstix.net/Setup-and-Programming/view/Overo-Setup-and-Programming/Creating-a-bootable-microSD-card/111.html

If you seach a bit you might find someone who have made a script that can do the job, but to get a understanding of what is done the above link is fine.


BR
Benny

2010/8/2 Thomas Davis <[hidden email]>
I am kind of stuck on this part and don't know what to do and need some assistance.  I have the script and image files on the microSD card, but I don't see them when I login to the Overo.  I am trying to write the images to the onboard nand flash.

http://www.gumstix.net/Setup-and-Programming/view/Overo-Setup-and-Programming/Writing-images-to-onboard-nand/111.html

--
Thomas Davis
Jackson State University
Computer Engineering Major

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Palm PDK Hot Apps Program offers developers who use the
Plug-In Development Kit to bring their C/C++ apps to Palm for a share
of $1 Million in cash or HP Products. Visit us here for more details:
http://p.sf.net/sfu/dev2dev-palm
_______________________________________________
gumstix-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gumstix-users



------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Palm PDK Hot Apps Program offers developers who use the
Plug-In Development Kit to bring their C/C++ apps to Palm for a share
of $1 Million in cash or HP Products. Visit us here for more details:
http://p.sf.net/sfu/dev2dev-palm
_______________________________________________
gumstix-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gumstix-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Writing images to onboard nand

kfcandroid
Hi all,

I'm facing a problem while flashing to the NAND.
while I have all the images and script saved in the SD card's /root/images folder,
I boot up my Gumstix from SD card, logged in as root:
overo login: root
root@overo:~#

and then I navigate to the folder, tried to run the .sh file with this instruction:
root@overo:~/images# ./run.sh

but I got this error message:
-sh: ./run.sh: Permission denied


Is there anything I should fix before running the script?
I am totally new to this world, so detailed instruction would be highly appreciated :)

Thanks in advance!!

James
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Writing images to onboard nand

Jonathan Kunkee

I'm not sure just how new you are, so I'll guess:

This sounds like a simple permissions issue. You need to instruct the system to permit you to execute the file as a program:

chmod u+x ./run.sh
./run.sh

Does that do the trick?

--Jon

On Sep 25, 2012 12:09 PM, "kfcandroid" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi all,

I'm facing a problem while flashing to the NAND.
while I have all the images and script saved in the SD card's /root/images
folder,
I boot up my Gumstix from SD card, logged in as root:
/overo login: root/
root@overo:~#

and then I navigate to the folder, tried to run the .sh file with this
instruction:
root@overo:~/images#/ ./run.sh/

but I got this error message:
-sh: ./run.sh: Permission denied


Is there anything I should fix before running the script?
I am totally new to this world, so detailed instruction would be highly
appreciated :)

Thanks in advance!!

James




--
View this message in context: http://gumstix.8.n6.nabble.com/Writing-images-to-onboard-nand-tp649052p4965498.html
Sent from the Gumstix mailing list archive at Nabble.com.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live Security Virtual Conference
Exclusive live event will cover all the ways today's security and
threat landscape has changed and how IT managers can respond. Discussions
will include endpoint security, mobile security and the latest in malware
threats. http://www.accelacomm.com/jaw/sfrnl04242012/114/50122263/
_______________________________________________
gumstix-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gumstix-users

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live Security Virtual Conference
Exclusive live event will cover all the ways today's security and
threat landscape has changed and how IT managers can respond. Discussions
will include endpoint security, mobile security and the latest in malware
threats. http://www.accelacomm.com/jaw/sfrnl04242012/114/50122263/
_______________________________________________
gumstix-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gumstix-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Writing images to onboard nand

kfcandroid
Thanks Jon, the code you gave me worked like a charm :D

by the way, do you have any idea about how to modify the kernel and images which has been loaded into the NAND?
I am facing some problem with Wifi and probably need to add some capability for USB camera connectivity.

so far I knew how to compile a kernel with kernel source code which I got from here:
but I have no idea how to configure the kernel which is inside my SD card or flash.
Or, the cause of my problem doesn't have anything to do with kernel?

Sorry for the new generated and long question, any comment will be greatly appreciated 

James


2012/9/25 Jonathan Kunkee <[hidden email]>

I'm not sure just how new you are, so I'll guess:

This sounds like a simple permissions issue. You need to instruct the system to permit you to execute the file as a program:

chmod u+x ./run.sh
./run.sh

Does that do the trick?

--Jon

On Sep 25, 2012 12:09 PM, "kfcandroid" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi all,

I'm facing a problem while flashing to the NAND.
while I have all the images and script saved in the SD card's /root/images
folder,
I boot up my Gumstix from SD card, logged in as root:
/overo login: root/
root@overo:~#

and then I navigate to the folder, tried to run the .sh file with this
instruction:
root@overo:~/images#/ ./run.sh/

but I got this error message:
-sh: ./run.sh: Permission denied


Is there anything I should fix before running the script?
I am totally new to this world, so detailed instruction would be highly
appreciated :)

Thanks in advance!!

James




--
View this message in context: http://gumstix.8.n6.nabble.com/Writing-images-to-onboard-nand-tp649052p4965498.html
Sent from the Gumstix mailing list archive at Nabble.com.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live Security Virtual Conference
Exclusive live event will cover all the ways today's security and
threat landscape has changed and how IT managers can respond. Discussions
will include endpoint security, mobile security and the latest in malware
threats. http://www.accelacomm.com/jaw/sfrnl04242012/114/50122263/
_______________________________________________
gumstix-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gumstix-users

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live Security Virtual Conference
Exclusive live event will cover all the ways today's security and
threat landscape has changed and how IT managers can respond. Discussions
will include endpoint security, mobile security and the latest in malware
threats. http://www.accelacomm.com/jaw/sfrnl04242012/114/50122263/
_______________________________________________
gumstix-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gumstix-users




--
Best,
James


------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live Security Virtual Conference
Exclusive live event will cover all the ways today's security and
threat landscape has changed and how IT managers can respond. Discussions
will include endpoint security, mobile security and the latest in malware
threats. http://www.accelacomm.com/jaw/sfrnl04242012/114/50122263/
_______________________________________________
gumstix-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gumstix-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Writing images to onboard nand

Keane, Ben (STRX)
In reply to this post by kfcandroid
Run `chmod +x ~/images/run.sh`

So your script becomes executable.

> -----Original Message-----
> From: kfcandroid [mailto:[hidden email]]
> Sent: Wednesday, 26 September 2012 4:07 AM
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [Gumstix-users] Writing images to onboard nand
>
> Hi all,
>
> I'm facing a problem while flashing to the NAND.
> while I have all the images and script saved in the SD card's /root/images
> folder, I boot up my Gumstix from SD card, logged in as root:
> /overo login: root/
> root@overo:~#
>
> and then I navigate to the folder, tried to run the .sh file with this
> instruction:
> root@overo:~/images#/ ./run.sh/
>
> but I got this error message:
> -sh: ./run.sh: Permission denied
>
>
> Is there anything I should fix before running the script?
> I am totally new to this world, so detailed instruction would be highly
> appreciated :)
>
> Thanks in advance!!
>
> James
>
>
>
>
> --
> View this message in context: http://gumstix.8.n6.nabble.com/Writing-
> images-to-onboard-nand-tp649052p4965498.html
> Sent from the Gumstix mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Live Security Virtual Conference
> Exclusive live event will cover all the ways today's security and threat
> landscape has changed and how IT managers can respond. Discussions will
> include endpoint security, mobile security and the latest in malware threats.
> http://www.accelacomm.com/jaw/sfrnl04242012/114/50122263/
> _______________________________________________
> gumstix-users mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gumstix-users
>
> __________________________________________________________
> ____________
> CAUTION: This message was sent via the Public Internet and its authenticity
> cannot be guaranteed.

PROPRIETARY: This e-mail contains proprietary information some or all of which may be legally privileged.  It is intended for the recipient only.  If an addressing or transmission error has misdirected this e-mail, please notify the authority by replying to this e-mail.  If you are not the intended recipient you must not use, disclose, distribute, copy, print, or rely on this e-mail.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live Security Virtual Conference
Exclusive live event will cover all the ways today's security and
threat landscape has changed and how IT managers can respond. Discussions
will include endpoint security, mobile security and the latest in malware
threats. http://www.accelacomm.com/jaw/sfrnl04242012/114/50122263/
_______________________________________________
gumstix-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gumstix-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Writing images to onboard nand

Jonathan Kunkee
In reply to this post by kfcandroid
> Thanks Jon, the code you gave me worked like a charm :D

Glad to hear it!

> by the way, do you have any idea about how to modify the kernel and images
> which has been loaded into the NAND?
> I am facing some problem with Wifi and probably need to add some capability
> for USB camera connectivity.

First I would Google and look for results on Old Nabble. Previous email threads
have talked about both of these topics extensively. I personally have
very limited
experience with both of these topics and won't be able to help much.

Also, if you send a new email to the Gumstix mailing list for each
question, they
will get a lot more attention than this thread will get, IMHO. Be sure
to briefly
describe what you are trying to do, what you have tried, and what error messages
or conditions you observe.

> so far I knew how to compile a kernel with kernel source code which I got
> from here:
>
> git clone git://www.sakoman.com/git/linux-omap-2.6 linux

You might be interested in the Gumstix kernel repo at
https://github.com/gumstix/Gumstix-Overo-Kernel.git

Note that there is a config in the root of that repo; be sure to enable
CONFIG_ARM_ERRATA_430973 after you configure it.

> but I have no idea how to configure the kernel which is inside my SD card or
> flash.

Changing the kernel on the SD card usually requires two things: changing the
uImage file on the FAT partition and installing the respective modules on the
rootfs partition. Sometimes changing boot.scr or u-boot environment is required
to get the serial console to work correctly. I can point you to instructions

> Or, the cause of my problem doesn't have anything to do with kernel?

Between my limited experience and limited information, I can honestly say I have
no idea. Hence my suggestion to start a new thread with each question so that
smarter eyes than mine see them. :)

> Sorry for the new generated and long question, any comment will be greatly
> appreciated

No worries; I hope I helped!

Cheers,
Jon Kunkee

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live Security Virtual Conference
Exclusive live event will cover all the ways today's security and
threat landscape has changed and how IT managers can respond. Discussions
will include endpoint security, mobile security and the latest in malware
threats. http://www.accelacomm.com/jaw/sfrnl04242012/114/50122263/
_______________________________________________
gumstix-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gumstix-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Writing images to onboard nand

kfcandroid
Thanks again, Jon

Thank you for the advise, I will sort my issue out, have them organized, and start another new post.
Besides, I will definitely search around this forum and hopefully I can gain some help to solve this issue.
(btw, the way I did on reply, I typically click on the "reply" link on the upper right corner of each post, is that sounds correct to post my question to all Gumstix community?)
 
Also, in your previous reply, (as I quoted below)
I notice that you mentioned about 2 factors about changing the kernel on SD card,

I was able to compile the kernel with uImage file, but I have no knowledge about
the next one, which is the "respective modules on the rootfs partition"
would you please point me out what exactly it is or some tutorials I can follow on the internet?

"Changing the kernel on the SD card usually requires two things: changing the
uImage file on the FAT partition and installing the respective modules on the
rootfs partition. Sometimes changing boot.scr or u-boot environment is required
to get the serial console to work correctly. I can point you to instructions"

Again, thanks a lot for being patient with me, I really appreciate that :)

James
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Writing images to onboard nand

Jonathan Kunkee
Hey,

> Thank you for the advise, I will sort my issue out, have them organized, and
> start another new post.

Saw the thread. I'm glad it's getting some attention. :)

> Besides, I will definitely search around this forum and hopefully I can gain
> some help to solve this issue.
> (btw, the way I did on reply, I typically click on the "reply" link on the
> upper right corner of each post, is that sounds correct to post my question
> to all Gumstix community?)

As long as the "To:" field of the email has
"[hidden email]"
in it, everyone will see it. If you don't change the subject line,
then it will even
get collated into a thread. If you're working straight through Old Nabble, then
I imagine it works just fine.

> Also, in your previous reply, (as I quoted below)
> I notice that you mentioned about 2 factors about changing the kernel on SD
> card,
>
> I was able to compile the kernel with uImage file, but I have no knowledge
> about
> the next one, which is the "respective modules on the rootfs partition"
> would you please point me out what exactly it is or some tutorials I can
> follow on the internet?

I'll point you here and add a few comments of my own:
http://gumstix.org/basic-cross-compilation.html

Again, I don't know how much you know, so I'll err on the side of overkill:

uImage == (vmlinux set up for U-Boot)

The Linux kernel is designed to be split into pieces. The uImage file
you have built
contains all of the vital components like filesystem handling and task
management.
Other pieces, especially device drivers, can be compiled separately as 'modules'
that can be inserted and removed while the kernel is running. This
makes it easy for
the omap3_config to apply to lots of hardware, as the user can load
the modules he/she
needs after the most basic system has loaded. So, in order to install
your newly-built
kernel, you need to copy the core part (uImage) into the boot
partition (the FAT partition)
so that the system can get started. On an Ubuntu system after
inserting the SD card, this
would likely be

cd $(YOUR_KERNEL_SRC_DIR)
cp arch/arm/boot/uImage /media/boot/uImage

If you also want to try different drivers and functionality that was
built as a module, you
need to get these onto the root filesystem. This is what the command
that starts

"sudo INSTALL_MOD"

on the linked tutorial does. All of the info on that page is awesome;
it is merely somewhat
disorganized for someone coming into with little experience.


> Again, thanks a lot for being patient with me, I really appreciate that :)

Everyone starts somewhere, no? I just hope I'm not overexplaining
concepts you already
understand.

Cheers,
Jon Kunkee

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Everyone hates slow websites. So do we.
Make your web apps faster with AppDynamics
Download AppDynamics Lite for free today:
http://ad.doubleclick.net/clk;258768047;13503038;j?
http://info.appdynamics.com/FreeJavaPerformanceDownload.html
_______________________________________________
gumstix-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gumstix-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Writing images to onboard nand

William Hue
Sorry to reply to an old post, but after struggling with this ourselves, we documented a way to flash the NAND using a USB flash drive:
http://www.aarcomm.com/blog/technology/gumstix/gumstix-overo-nand-flashing/

Hope this is useful.


On 2012-09-27 08:36, Jonathan Kunkee wrote:

> Hey,
>
>> Thank you for the advise, I will sort my issue out, have them organized, and
>> start another new post.
>
> Saw the thread. I'm glad it's getting some attention. :)
>
>> Besides, I will definitely search around this forum and hopefully I can gain
>> some help to solve this issue.
>> (btw, the way I did on reply, I typically click on the "reply" link on the
>> upper right corner of each post, is that sounds correct to post my question
>> to all Gumstix community?)
>
> As long as the "To:" field of the email has
> "[hidden email]"
> in it, everyone will see it. If you don't change the subject line,
> then it will even
> get collated into a thread. If you're working straight through Old Nabble, then
> I imagine it works just fine.
>
>> Also, in your previous reply, (as I quoted below)
>> I notice that you mentioned about 2 factors about changing the kernel on SD
>> card,
>>
>> I was able to compile the kernel with uImage file, but I have no knowledge
>> about
>> the next one, which is the "respective modules on the rootfs partition"
>> would you please point me out what exactly it is or some tutorials I can
>> follow on the internet?
>
> I'll point you here and add a few comments of my own:
> http://gumstix.org/basic-cross-compilation.html
>
> Again, I don't know how much you know, so I'll err on the side of overkill:
>
> uImage == (vmlinux set up for U-Boot)
>
> The Linux kernel is designed to be split into pieces. The uImage file
> you have built
> contains all of the vital components like filesystem handling and task
> management.
> Other pieces, especially device drivers, can be compiled separately as 'modules'
> that can be inserted and removed while the kernel is running. This
> makes it easy for
> the omap3_config to apply to lots of hardware, as the user can load
> the modules he/she
> needs after the most basic system has loaded. So, in order to install
> your newly-built
> kernel, you need to copy the core part (uImage) into the boot
> partition (the FAT partition)
> so that the system can get started. On an Ubuntu system after
> inserting the SD card, this
> would likely be
>
> cd $(YOUR_KERNEL_SRC_DIR)
> cp arch/arm/boot/uImage /media/boot/uImage
>
> If you also want to try different drivers and functionality that was
> built as a module, you
> need to get these onto the root filesystem. This is what the command
> that starts
>
> "sudo INSTALL_MOD"
>
> on the linked tutorial does. All of the info on that page is awesome;
> it is merely somewhat
> disorganized for someone coming into with little experience.
>
>
>> Again, thanks a lot for being patient with me, I really appreciate that :)
>
> Everyone starts somewhere, no? I just hope I'm not overexplaining
> concepts you already
> understand.
>
> Cheers,
> Jon Kunkee
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Everyone hates slow websites. So do we.
> Make your web apps faster with AppDynamics
> Download AppDynamics Lite for free today:
> http://ad.doubleclick.net/clk;258768047;13503038;j?
> http://info.appdynamics.com/FreeJavaPerformanceDownload.html
> _______________________________________________
> gumstix-users mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gumstix-users

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Monitor your physical, virtual and cloud infrastructure from a single
web console. Get in-depth insight into apps, servers, databases, vmware,
SAP, cloud infrastructure, etc. Download 30-day Free Trial.
Pricing starts from $795 for 25 servers or applications!
http://p.sf.net/sfu/zoho_dev2dev_nov
_______________________________________________
gumstix-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gumstix-users
Loading...