Quantcast

Whats the point of the Pinto-TH board?

pg

Whats the point of the Pinto-TH board?

pg
Hi,

I just got the Pinto-TH board. Bad mistake. It doesn't do anything. It doesn't have a console port, the connectors are scarce, it lacks many basic things, it doesn't have this, it doesn't have that, etc.

So my question is;

Why would anyone purchase the Pinto-TH board? What does it do?

Re: Whats the point of the Pinto-TH board?

Alex Gibson-3
On 1/04/2012 9:17 AM, pg wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just got the Pinto-TH board. Bad mistake. It doesn't do anything. It
> doesn't have a console port, the connectors are scarce, it lacks many basic
> things, it doesn't have this, it doesn't have that, etc.
>
> So my question is;
>
> Why would anyone purchase the Pinto-TH board? What does it do?

If you need lots of io with level shifters.
For prototyping but you don't want to go directly to  the 70 pin
connectors. Easy to breadboard if needed.

You can add a serial connection for console but will need to modify
u-boot parameters and recompile

pins 17 and 18 on sv1  to a level shifter (1.8 to 3.3V or 5V) to a st232
or max232 for serial - rs232
or to a ftdi ft232B or ft232B for usb
or Silabs cp2102

see http://pubs.gumstix.com/boards/PINTO-TH/PCB30011-R2731/PCB30011.pdf

sparkfun and others sell modules

e.g

level shifter
http://www.sparkfun.com/products/8745

usb to serial
http://www.sparkfun.com/products/718
http://www.sparkfun.com/products/8551
http://www.sparkfun.com/products/8531
http://www.sparkfun.com/products/198

Can also use the sensor and other breakouts to easily connect
http://www.sparkfun.com/categories/20

Alex

pg

Re: Whats the point of the Pinto-TH board?

pg
Alright, that stuff is way too advanced for me.

Here's a better question: what does the USB port on the Pinto-TH board do?

Re: Whats the point of the Pinto-TH board?

Greg Kogut

>Here's a better question: what does the USB port on the Pinto-TH board do?

It's an OTG port, just like on the Tobi.  Talk to devices, etc.

Greg

pg

Re: Whats the point of the Pinto-TH board?

pg
Then how come when I plug it into my computer nothing works?

Re: Whats the point of the Pinto-TH board?

William Pretty Security Inc
I gotta ask this on behalf of the group ...

What is you background?
Electrical Engineering ?
Software Engineering ?
Hobbiest ?

It will be a lot easier to answer your questions if you tell us.

IMHO you need to gain some experience in embedded hardware and software
design ...

Bill

pg

Re: Whats the point of the Pinto-TH board?

pg
Hobbiest/sofware engineering.  I can't gain experience if there are no ways to gain experience.

I want to hook up the Pinto-TH board to my computer. It has an IronSTORM COM on it. Is this possible?

Re: Whats the point of the Pinto-TH board?

William Pretty Security Inc
Ok

Here is what I would suggest.

1) If you don't have one already, get a "Tobi" board from Gumstix.
        It has HDMI out plus a 10/100 LAN port.
2) Get Steve Sakoman's "Desktop" image.
        The desktop image is a GUI that uses a keyboard and a mouse and has
the look and feel
        of a Linux desk top.
        Steve has a script that will build a bootable uSD card for you on
his site (sakoman.com?)

3) Now you have a "development system" that you can work with.
4) When you feel that you are more advanced, build a "console" image
using Steve's script again.
5) Run your favorite terminal program on your computer to talk to the
console image via a "virtual USB Serial port".

IMHO The pinto is kind of the deep end of the pool :-)

Good Luck

Re: Whats the point of the Pinto-TH board?

Rich Malavon
The easiest way to interact with it like you want could  be to get the image to load something like the g_ether kernel module, which will make your USB OTG look like a USB ethernet device.

Something like
modprobe g_ether && ifconfig usb0 <priv ip>

Then on host side (PC) you will see a Usb0 as well which you can assign another IP and SSH in. You can even provide a network to your gumstix this way by setting up a NAT on the host and doing appropriate changes to /etc/resolv.conf on device side.

Alternatively you can use the g_serial module and put a getty on it (ttyGS0) to login and get shell access.

The trick will be changing your current boot image to do this; are you using an SD to boot or are you using the NAND image that came with the device?

--
Rich

pg

Re: Whats the point of the Pinto-TH board?

pg
I just bought a gumstix IronSTORM COM and Pinto-TH. I have an SD card I tried to format, but I don't think It worked. I'll try sakomans sd card script and see how that goes.

The Ethernet-over USB trick sounds good if I knew what to do. Honestly, all I have done was taken these products out of the box. How do I change the boot image?

Re: Whats the point of the Pinto-TH board?

Steve Sakoman
On Sat, Mar 31, 2012 at 4:17 PM, pg <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just got the Pinto-TH board. Bad mistake. It doesn't do anything. It
> doesn't have a console port, the connectors are scarce, it lacks many basic
> things, it doesn't have this, it doesn't have that, etc.

If you don't mind working with experimental code, you can try some
pre-built images that might let you get some use out of your Pinto or
Thumbo (I've tested primarily with Thumbo)

I have a script that will create a bootable microSD with pre-built
binaries from my autobuilder.  You can download it here:

http://feeds.sakoman.com/feeds/yocto/images/omap3-multi/current/

Download mksdcard.sh, and make it executable with 'chmod +x
mksdcard.sh'.  Then plug a microSD card into your development machine,
note where it mounts, and execute the script like so:

sudo ./mksdcard.sh /dev/sdd overo usb-gadget-multi-getty

On my machine the microSD cards mount at /dev/sdd, substitute the
proper device for your machine.  Be careful to get this right.

DO NOT SPECIFY THE DRIVE WITH YOUR PC's ROOTFS!!
You have been warned -- very bad things would happen!!

The script will partition and format the microSD card, download all
the appropriate binaries from my site, and properly set up the boot
and rootfs partitions.  At the end of the process you'll see messages
like:

Populating boot partition files
Boot partition complete
Populating rootfs partition files
This will take several minutes . . .
Rootfs partition complete
SD card creation was successful

At that point you can remove the microSD card from your dev machine,
insert it into the slot on your Overo and then plug the Thumbo into
your dev machine.

You should see the red LED begin to flash after a bit, which indicates
that the kernel is running and has configured it with a heartbeat
trigger.  The blue LED nearest the center of the board is a microSD
indicator (flashes when r/w accesses occur) and the blue LED nearest
the edge of the board indicates that wifi has associated with an
access point. The green LED in the center is a power indicator.

This image sets up the multi gadget, which gives you a mass storage
device (which should auto-mount with the name GadgetStore), an
ethernet device which bridges to the wifi module on the Overo, and a
serial device which has getty running on it for a console session.
The serial device should show up as /dev/ttyACM0 on your dev machine
-- I typically connect using kermit at 115200 baud.

Wifi on the Overo should automatically associate with any open
network.

Understand that these images are not supported unless you are a
consulting client.  I'm happy to make them available for people who
have the skills to use of them, but sadly don't have time to do a lot
of free support.

Steve

pg

Re: Whats the point of the Pinto-TH board?

pg
Do you recommend I do this on Linux, Mac, or Windows?

On Sun, Apr 1, 2012 at 9:49 AM, pg <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Do you recommend I do this on Linux, Mac, or Windows?

Only Linux!

If you are a beginner and confused by all this, then I suspect that
starting with Pinto falls in the category of  "a really bad idea"!

Pinto and Thumbo are intended for experienced embedded Linux
developers and are likely to cause newbies endless unnecessary grief.

Steve

Re: Whats the point of the Pinto-TH board?

William Pretty Security Inc
What ever you feel the most comfortable with :-)

Personally I would recommend Linux and the Overo OE.
Be prepared for a certain amount of pain when building the OE (404 errors
are normal!)

Hope I've been some help ...

Do you recommend I do this on Linux, Mac, or Windows?

pg

Re: Whats the point of the Pinto-TH board?

pg
OK, I finally figured out what I am doing and how to use this thing. I managed to connect 5v and GND to boot the Pinto. The only problems now are that a) only the green light on the IronSTORM goes on. None of the other lights ever turn on, including the red and blue as mentioned.
b)  Nothing shows up in my device manager as detailed in (http://gumstix.org/connect-to-my-gumstix-system.html).
and finally c) I learned that the Pinto-TH ONLY has a USB OTG. That may or may not affect the use of serial/console.

3 issues that cause the whole thing to not function.

Besides that, it works as a great SD card holder.
pg

Re: Whats the point of the Pinto-TH board?

Rich Malavon
Get a Tobi board and stop fooling yourself. The board you are using is best when you have already got a working image with a use case where the single USB OTG port is what's needed.

Otherwise just make sure that at boot the SD image is set to load the g_ether gadget with a static IP or use a g_serial gadget at boot and put an agetty on it in. /etc/inittab.

But please, consider spending the money on the Tobi, you will have a working serial console from boot and you will realize the challenges you placed on yourself using Pinto as first exp board.

--
Rich

On Apr 29, 2012, at 6:12 PM, pg <[hidden email]> wrote:

> OK, I finally figured out what I am doing and how to use this thing. I
> managed to connect 5v and GND to boot the Pinto. The only problems now are
> that a) only the green light on the IronSTORM goes on. None of the other
> lights ever turn on, including the red and blue as mentioned.
> b)  Nothing shows up in my device manager as detailed in
> (http://gumstix.org/connect-to-my-gumstix-system.html).
> and finally c) I learned that the Pinto-TH ONLY has a USB OTG. That may or
> may not affect the use of serial/console.
>
> 3 issues that cause the whole thing to not function.
>
> Besides that, it works as a great SD card holder.

pg

Re: Whats the point of the Pinto-TH board?

pg
I have no problem with getting a Tobi board. I would purchase one right now. The only problem is that I am not sure that if I buy a Tobi board all my problems would go away?

Re: Whats the point of the Pinto-TH board?

Rich Malavon
I can't say all, but the barrier to entry would be substantially better. You would at least be able to see/debug why your image isn't booting fully, or maybe that it is but just not loading the right drivers.

--
Rich