Quantcast

Watchdog timer not working in gumstix overo

Watchdog timer not working in gumstix overo

tybandara
Hello all, I have a gumstix air com and a pinto board. I've compiled the 2.6.14 linux kernel to this. And I have selected only omap_wdt driver in the watchdog timer driver list when compiling the kernel. I'm using a very basic test program to open the /dev/watchdog node and it says if I don't write anything to the node system will restart in 60 seconds by default. But what I noticed was that my system simply halts, but doesn't restart after 60 seconds. I don't think that there are any good search results in the internet too. I'm sure most of you have faced this issue? How have you solved this? Or, is this a device dependent issue? Thanx a lot

Re: Watchdog timer not working in gumstix overo

tybandara
someone please help...

Re: Watchdog timer not working in gumstix overo

Steve Sakoman
On Fri, Dec 2, 2011 at 9:30 AM, tybandara <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hello all, I have a gumstix air com and a pinto board. I've compiled the
> 2.6.14 linux kernel to this. And I have selected only omap_wdt driver in the
> watchdog timer driver list when compiling the kernel.

I suspect there is a typo in the version number since 2.6.14 pre-dates
Overo support.  Perhaps you meant 2.6.34?

> I'm using a very basic
> test program to open the /dev/watchdog node and it says if I don't write
> anything to the node system will restart in 60 seconds by default. But what
> I noticed was that my system simply halts, but doesn't restart after 60
> seconds. I don't think that there are any good search results in the
> internet too. I'm sure most of you have faced this issue? How have you
> solved this? Or, is this a device dependent issue? Thanx a lot

Does your COM have NAND?  If so, is there a copy of x-loader written to NAND?

IIRC, the OMAP attempts to boot from NAND after a watchdog reset.  If
you don't have a copy of x-loader in NAND then the system will appear
to freeze since it can't find any boot code.

Frankly, I'm not sure if there is a workaround for systems without
NAND.  Perhaps someone on the list knows this.  Otherwise I'll look
through the OMAP3 TRM later this week to see if I can discover
anything.

Using my GNOME or console image
(http://www.sakoman.com/category/8-gnome-daily-builds-r13.html) with a
copy of x-loader in NAND things seem to work as expected:

root@omap3-multi:~# echo 1 > /dev/watchdog
omap_wdt: Unexpected close, not stopping!
root@omap3-multi:~#

<one minute later>

Texas Instruments X-Loader 1.5.1 (Nov 28 2011 - 13:07:54)
OMAP3503-GP ES3.1
Board revision: 0
Reading boot sector

U-Boot 2011.09 (Nov 28 2011 - 13:09:07)

OMAP3503-GP ES3.1, CPU-OPP2, L3-165MHz, Max CPU Clock 600 mHz
Gumstix Overo board + LPDDR/NAND
I2C:   ready
DRAM:  256 MiB
NAND:  256 MiB
MMC:   OMAP SD/MMC: 0
*** Warning - bad CRC, using default environment

In:    serial
Out:   serial
Err:   serial
Board revision: 0
Tranceiver detected on mmc2
No EEPROM on expansion board
Die ID #52e800040000000004032d460d00e01d
Net:   No ethernet found.
Hit any key to stop autoboot:  0
reading boot.scr

** Unable to read "boot.scr" from mmc 0:1 **
reading uImage

3143384 bytes read
Booting from mmc ...
## Booting kernel from Legacy Image at 82000000 ...
   Image Name:   Angstrom/3.0/omap3-multi
   Image Type:   ARM Linux Kernel Image (uncompressed)
   Data Size:    3143320 Bytes = 3 MiB
   Load Address: 80008000
   Entry Point:  80008000
   Verifying Checksum ... OK
OK

Starting kernel ...

Uncompressing Linux... done, booting the kernel.
Linux version 3.0.0 (sakoman@quadra) (gcc version 4.5.3 20110311
(prerelease) (GCC) ) #1 Thu Dec 1 13:23:45 PST 2011

Re: Watchdog timer not working in gumstix overo

Keane, Ben (STRX)
Hi,

I also seem to have this 'halting' issue.

> root@omap3-multi:~# echo 1 > /dev/watchdog
> omap_wdt: Unexpected close, not stopping!
> root@omap3-multi:~#

If I 'echo 1 > /dev/watchdog', the system pauses after 60 seconds. I am using a WaterStorm (DM3730) with Gumdroid and Android/Linux kernel version 2.6.32.

IIRC, the watchdog timer was working (printing to the console that it was stuck after 60 seconds..-can't remember if it reset the Tide - that Overo has no flash) when I was using the Tide (3530)during previous development.

I am also interested in this issue.

Kind Regards,

Ben

PROPRIETARY: This e-mail contains proprietary information some or all of which may be legally privileged.  It is intended for the recipient only.  If an addressing or transmission error has misdirected this e-mail, please notify the authority by replying to this e-mail.  If you are not the intended recipient you must not use, disclose, distribute, copy, print, or rely on this e-mail.

Re: Watchdog timer not working in gumstix overo

Akram Hameed
I'm experiencing the same issue as the OP, though interestingly only after
updating my x-loader in NAND (it worked fine with x-loader 1.4.2).

Kernel 2.6.36-r100 with some minor customisations (all through OE).  I had
x-load 1.4.2 in NAND previously and it was not detecting DRAM properly
(128 instead of 256) after the omap_wdt triggered.  I therefore replaced
MLO with one I built with OE earlier this year (1.4.4s).  Copied to the
flash following these instructions:
http://gumstix.org/how-to/70-writing-images-to-flash.html

Now if I nuke the watchdog process I get the typical omap_wdt message
about not stopping but the system appears to hang at this point.

I can confirm that the 1.4.4 x-loader is working from NAND; removing the
microSD prompts the system to boot from NAND and it loads the 'fail safe'
u-boot and kernel from NAND no trouble.

So, question is what is going on here? Advice welcome.

> [...]

Net:   No ethernet found.
Hit any key to stop autoboot:  0
reading boot.scr

** Unable to read "boot.scr" from mmc 0:1 **
reading uImage

3143384 bytes read
Booting from mmc ...
## Booting kernel from Legacy Image at 82000000 ...
   Image Name:   Angstrom/3.0/omap3-multi
   Image Type:   ARM Linux Kernel Image (uncompressed)
   Data Size:    3143320 Bytes = 3 MiB
   Load Address: 80008000
   Entry Point:  80008000
   Verifying Checksum ... OK
OK

Starting kernel ...

Uncompressing Linux... done, booting the kernel.
Linux version 3.0.0 (sakoman@quadra) (gcc version 4.5.3 20110311
(prerelease) (GCC) ) #1 Thu Dec 1 13:23:45 PST 2011

Re: Watchdog timer not working in gumstix overo

My issue is happening on an OMAP-based Overo Water that's sitting on a
TOBI board, for reference.

> [...]

Net:   No ethernet found.
Hit any key to stop autoboot:  0
reading boot.scr

** Unable to read "boot.scr" from mmc 0:1 **
reading uImage

3143384 bytes read
Booting from mmc ...
## Booting kernel from Legacy Image at 82000000 ...
   Image Name:   Angstrom/3.0/omap3-multi
   Image Type:   ARM Linux Kernel Image (uncompressed)
   Data Size:    3143320 Bytes = 3 MiB
   Load Address: 80008000
   Entry Point:  80008000
   Verifying Checksum ... OK
OK

Starting kernel ...

Uncompressing Linux... done, booting the kernel.
Linux version 3.0.0 (sakoman@quadra) (gcc version 4.5.3 20110311
(prerelease) (GCC) ) #1 Thu Dec 1 13:23:45 PST 2011

Re: Watchdog timer not working in gumstix overo

Tried the factory MLO from here (1.5.0):
http://cumulus.gumstix.org/images/angstrom/factory/2011-08-30-1058/

Makes no difference, still 'hangs' after WD should have tickled reboot.

On Sun, Dec 4, 2011 at 6:19 PM, Akram Hameed <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Tried the factory MLO from here (1.5.0):
> http://cumulus.gumstix.org/images/angstrom/factory/2011-08-30-1058/
>
> Makes no difference, still 'hangs' after WD should have tickled reboot.

Could you try a console image using the script from my site:

http://www.sakoman.com/category/8-gnome-daily-builds-r13.html

Follow the instructions on that page, but specify console instead of gnome.

Also be sure to write the same x-load to nand -- after booting into
u-boot from the SD card prepared above do:

nand erase 0 80000
mmc rescan 0
fatload mmc 0 82000000 mlo
nandecc hw
nand write 82000000 0 20000
nand write 82000000 20000 20000
nand write 82000000 40000 20000
nand write 82000000 60000 20000

With the above setup I get successful watchdog reboots on 35XX COMs.

If it doesn't work for you could you attach the u-boot banner so that
I can see what version of processor you have?

Steve

On Sun, Dec 4, 2011 at 3:26 PM, Keane, Ben (STRX) <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
> If I 'echo 1 > /dev/watchdog', the system pauses after 60 seconds. I am using a WaterStorm (DM3730) with Gumdroid and Android/Linux kernel version 2.6.32.

I can confirm that the omap watchdog doesn't seen to function properly on 37XX.

I've noticed that there are also complaints about this on the
Beagleboard mailing list -- specifically that watchdog works on the
35XX based Beagleboards but not on the 37XX based Beagleboard xM.

I'll look into this a bit and see if I can find out what is going on.

Steve

Re: Watchdog timer not working in gumstix overo

Akram Hameed
Update:

Things work 100% with the image from the daily builds.

Will investigate tomorrow whether swapping to this newer revision of
u-boot solves my issue.  Version I have been running is a customised
(pin-muxing only) one of: U-Boot 2010.09 (May 30 2011 - 13:22:49)

For reference, omap silicon message is as follows: OMAP3530-GP ES3.1,

wrote:
> Tried the factory MLO from here (1.5.0):
> http://cumulus.gumstix.org/images/angstrom/factory/2011-08-30-1058/
>
> Makes no difference, still 'hangs' after WD should have tickled reboot.

Could you try a console image using the script from my site:

http://www.sakoman.com/category/8-gnome-daily-builds-r13.html

Follow the instructions on that page, but specify console instead of
gnome.

Also be sure to write the same x-load to nand -- after booting into
u-boot from the SD card prepared above do:

nand erase 0 80000
mmc rescan 0
fatload mmc 0 82000000 mlo
nandecc hw
nand write 82000000 0 20000
nand write 82000000 20000 20000
nand write 82000000 40000 20000
nand write 82000000 60000 20000

With the above setup I get successful watchdog reboots on 35XX COMs.

If it doesn't work for you could you attach the u-boot banner so that
I can see what version of processor you have?

Steve

Things worked here as well. Thank you all. Finally I used the MLO and uboot in the above link provided by sakoman. And I erased the u-boot environment in nand as given in this link. Finally I copied MLO to the nand and everything is fine here. Watchdog timer works and I'm overwhelmed. I'm totally new to this and I'm so much excited with your quick responses. Thanks all.

One more thing, I'm developing drivers for the Gumstix board and could you please tell me how to find sources of the kernel which appeared in the above link. I see that there is a Commit-id.txt file. Can I download the particular source with that information?

THanx again.

On Mon, Dec 5, 2011 at 2:47 AM, tybandara <[hidden email]> wrote:

> One more thing, I'm developing drivers for the Gumstix board and could you
> please tell me how to find sources of the kernel which appeared in the above
> link. I see that there is a Commit-id.txt file. Can I download the
> particular source with that information?

The kernel is built from the omap-3.0-pm branch of my git repository:

http://www.sakoman.com/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=linux-omap-2.6.git;a=summary

So you can clone the above and then checkout the omap-3.0-pm branch.

Steve

Re: Watchdog timer not working in gumstix overo

Akram Hameed
Update 2:

It's probably not a fair test (my kernel is customised somewhat), but
2.6.36-r100 does not restart properly after the watchdog bites even with
the newer u-boot & x-load that definitely work with Steve's kernel 3.0-pm

Might be we have to move our platform to the newer kernel, though I'll try
with a non-customised 2.6.36 and see what happens.

On Sun, Dec 4, 2011 at 8:28 PM, Steve Sakoman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sun, Dec 4, 2011 at 3:26 PM, Keane, Ben (STRX) <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi,
>> If I 'echo 1 > /dev/watchdog', the system pauses after 60 seconds. I am using a WaterStorm (DM3730) with Gumdroid and Android/Linux kernel version 2.6.32.
>
> I can confirm that the omap watchdog doesn't seen to function properly on 37XX.
>
> I've noticed that there are also complaints about this on the
> Beagleboard mailing list -- specifically that watchdog works on the
> 35XX based Beagleboards but not on the 37XX based Beagleboard xM.
>
> I'll look into this a bit and see if I can find out what is going on.

I've spent a good amount of time researching this and trying to use
the boot device configuration table in scratchpad ram to try to work
around this problem.

Sadly without success.

There is a quite simple solution that I have decided to use in my
builds:  use the twl4030 watchdog instead of the omap watchdog.

This is a simple defconfig change:

--- a/recipes/linux/linux-sakoman-3.0/omap3-multi/defconfig
+++ b/recipes/linux/linux-sakoman-3.0/omap3-multi/defconfig
@@ -1413,8 +1413,8 @@ CONFIG_WATCHDOG_NOWAYOUT=y
 # Watchdog Device Drivers
 #
 # CONFIG_SOFT_WATCHDOG is not set
-CONFIG_OMAP_WATCHDOG=y
-# CONFIG_TWL4030_WATCHDOG is not set
+# CONFIG_OMAP_WATCHDOG is not set
+CONFIG_TWL4030_WATCHDOG=y
 # CONFIG_MAX63XX_WATCHDOG is not set

The user space interface is exactly the same, so it is a relatively
painless change.

I've tested this on 35XXES2.1, 35XXES3.2, and 37XXES1.0 and it worked
properly on all systems.

If you want to try pre-built images:

http://sakoman.com/category/8-gnome-daily-builds-r13.html

Neil, you might want to consider this for the official Gumstix images too!

Steve

Re: Watchdog timer not working in gumstix overo

tuxnoel
works with Overo Firestrom when twl4030_wdt is selected and not omap watchdog in the kernel config. default timeout is 30 secs.