Quantcast

Verdex - 16GB microSD card not detected, but 2GB is.

Verdex - 16GB microSD card not detected, but 2GB is.

geometrikal
I have set up my verdex board to boot off a 2GB microSD card, but I won't boot off a 16GB card of the same brand.

The 16GB card is recognised in ubuntu, and the partitions are 40M FAT16 and 15.9GB ext2. Typing mmcinit in u-boot returns something like 'no MMC card detected'. Is there a limitation to the size of card u-boot can read? Any ideas what the difference is that causes this problem?

Ross

Re: Verdex - 16GB microSD card not detected, but 2GB is.

Drew-43
8gb unfortunately mate.  Not bad though as lot's of new phones etc still
only support 8g.

Cheers,
Drew

I have set up my verdex board to boot off a 2GB microSD card, but I won't
boot off a 16GB card of the same brand.

The 16GB card is recognised in ubuntu, and the partitions are 40M FAT16 and
15.9GB ext2. Typing mmcinit in u-boot returns something like 'no MMC card
detected'. Is there a limitation to the size of card u-boot can read? Any
ideas what the difference is that causes this problem?

Ross

Create and Deploy Rich Internet Apps outside the browser with
Adobe(R)AIR(TM)
software. With Adobe AIR, Ajax developers can use existing skills and code
build responsive, highly engaging applications that combine the power of
local

Re: Verdex - 16GB microSD card not detected, but 2GB is.

Francois H. Theron
There are some issues with >2GB SD cards, especially microSD.
It boils down to the fact that there are two SD protocols:
The free and slow one, and the proprietary, paid for and fast one.

Small or embedded implementations typically use the free and simple one
because it is mcuh easier to implement - basically just SPI.

Now, as far as I could gather in my previous attempts to manually interface
with an SD card, the 2GB barrier is where high capacity SD cards start and
the free/small protocol do not support sizes bigger than 2GB. I suppose
it is quite possible that many implementations will just ignore such a
card, rather than try to address the 2GB space.

Lastly, there seems to have been a period where the High Capacity specs
were not properly defined, or enforced, so many cards bigger than 2GB were
manufactured but with some non-standard changes to just be able to put
the 4GB sticker on the packet.

For what it's worth:
http://www.sdcard.org/developers/tech/microsdhc/

What it comes down to: Do not assume all >2GB cards will work with all
phones,
mp3 players or other embedded devices. Only a real test with a specific
brand will
provide some guarantee.

I think the newer linux kernels and distros will be fine with the newer
HCSD cards,
it's just the smaller/limited stuff.

Francois

geometrikal wrote:

> I have set up my verdex board to boot off a 2GB microSD card, but I won't
> boot off a 16GB card of the same brand.
>
> The 16GB card is recognised in ubuntu, and the partitions are 40M FAT16 and
> 15.9GB ext2. Typing mmcinit in u-boot returns something like 'no MMC card
> detected'. Is there a limitation to the size of card u-boot can read? Any
> ideas what the difference is that causes this problem?
>
> Ross

Re: Verdex - 16GB microSD card not detected, but 2GB is.

geometrikal

Francois H. Theron wrote
Now, as far as I could gather in my previous attempts to manually interface
with an SD card, the 2GB barrier is where high capacity SD cards start and
the free/small protocol do not support sizes bigger than 2GB.
Ahhh damn hey... My 16GB card is SDHC and the 2GB is just SD. I guess the SD card foundation is trying to recoup costs with the licencing... but surely this kind of thing would hurt sales in the long run.