Quantcast

Using TI DSP link with 3.0.0 kernel

DaWaN
I am trying to use gstreamer with TIVidenc1 DSP encoding in 3.0.0 kernel
I successfully used bitbake to create an image with the 3.0.0 kernel and the TI dsp components

Unfortunately the dsp image bitbake file I use uses the TI linuxutils (CMEM,DSPLINK etc.) v2.25 which are not compatible with the 3.0.0 kernel

If i make a recipe for the v3.22 TI linuxutils the chance of have working kernel modules should be bigger, right ?
Are the v3.22 TI linuxutils compatible with the rest of the TI Codec engine ?
Is it possible to get DSP acceleration with the 3.0.0 kernel ?

Regards, Arie Nap aka DaWaN

On 03/16/2012 05:31 PM, Stephen Farnsworth wrote:
I am interested in this as well, since 3.0 is the way of the future.

On Fri, Mar 16, 2012 at 5:04 PM, DaWaN <[hidden email]> wrote:
I am trying to use gstreamer with TIVidenc1 DSP encoding in 3.0.0 kernel
I successfully used bitbake to create an image with the 3.0.0 kernel and the
TI dsp components

Unfortunately the dsp image bitbake file I use uses the TI linuxutils
(CMEM,DSPLINK etc.) v2.25 which are not compatible with the 3.0.0 kernel

If i make a recipe for the v3.22 TI linuxutils the chance of have working
kernel modules should be bigger, right ?
Are the v3.22 TI linuxutils compatible with the rest of the TI Codec engine
?
Is it possible to get DSP acceleration with the 3.0.0 kernel ?

Regards, Arie Nap aka DaWaN

me three. I am trying to get 3.2.7 to fully compile and load properly right now, slowly switching over some of steve's patches then need to move on to DSP

Re: Using TI DSP link with 3.0.0 kernel

DaWaN
ti-linuxutils_3.22.00.02.bb

I have been able to bitbake an image with 3.0.0 kernel and working DSP

I used this tutorial as a starting point:
http://jumpnowtek.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=81:gumstix-dsp-gstreamer&catid=35:gumstix&Itemid=67

I used the overo 2011.3 branch for openembedded
Then I added the attached TI Linuxutils 3.22 recipe in the TI folder
Then change in Overoe-oe/org.openembedded.dev/conf/distro/include/Angstrom-codec-engine-latest-revert-versions.inc the preferred version from 2.25 to 3.22

Be sure to also do the following patches / hacks:
-add mt9v032 patch for bayer pattern
-- http://patchwork.linuxtv.org/patch/7454/
-Add media-ctl and yavta applications recipies
-- http://gumstix.8.n6.nabble.com/Caspa-Camera-on-2-6-39-Kernel-tp571619p4549944.html
-Change uboot (pinmux fix)
-- Change the preferred uboot in overo.conf to the sakoman u-boot:
PREFERRED_PROVIDER_virtual/bootloader = "u-boot-sakoman"
-Hack gstreamer or omap3isp driver to support omap3isp driver output
--Gstreamer hack: http://patches.openembedded.org/patch/8877/
--Driver hack: http://patchwork.linuxtv.org/patch/6176/

After building make sure you configure the resizer output to 640x480 as the TIVidenc1 codec only seems to accept 4:3 resolutions

On 03/20/2012 05:43 AM, DaWaN wrote:

> http://gumstix.8.n6.nabble.com/file/n4636617/ti-linuxutils_3.22.00.02.bb
> ti-linuxutils_3.22.00.02.bb
>
> I have been able to bitbake an image with 3.0.0 kernel and working DSP
>
> I used this tutorial as a starting point:
> http://jumpnowtek.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=81:gumstix-dsp-gstreamer&catid=35:gumstix&Itemid=67
>
> I used the overo 2011.3 branch for openembedded
> Then I added the attached TI Linuxutils 3.22 recipe in the TI folder
> Then change in
> Overoe-oe/org.openembedded.dev/conf/distro/include/Angstrom-codec-engine-latest-revert-versions.inc
> the preferred version from 2.25 to 3.22
>
> Be sure to also do the following patches / hacks:
> -add mt9v032 patch for bayer pattern
> -- http://patchwork.linuxtv.org/patch/7454/
> -Add media-ctl and yavta applications recipies
> --
> http://gumstix.8.n6.nabble.com/Caspa-Camera-on-2-6-39-Kernel-tp571619p4549944.html
> -Change uboot (pinmux fix)
> -- Change the preferred uboot in overo.conf to the sakoman u-boot:
> PREFERRED_PROVIDER_virtual/bootloader = "u-boot-sakoman"
> -Hack gstreamer or omap3isp driver to support omap3isp driver output
> --Gstreamer hack: http://patches.openembedded.org/patch/8877/
> --Driver hack: http://patchwork.linuxtv.org/patch/6176/
>
> After building make sure you configure the resizer output to 640x480 as the
> TIVidenc1 codec only seems to accept 4:3 resolutions

great job and write up I just woke up to my kernel finally building this
am. I was able to get 3.2.9 built and DSP is there. Just need to run
through my script to convert the package to load for my OS.

Thanks for posting all this though I did notice I missed a patch you
listed but do not have a caspa so should not be an issue for me.

Re: Using TI DSP link with 3.0.0 kernel

Stephen Farnsworth-2
Am I missing something?  I do not have

Overoe-oe/org.openembedded.dev/conf/distro/include/Angstrom-codec-engine-latest-revert-versions.inc

Also, what parts of this are caspa specific?  What can I leave out if I want just a vanilla 3.0 kernel with the DSP and gstreamer working?

On Tue, Mar 20, 2012 at 10:35 AM, j <[hidden email]> wrote:
Overoe-oe/org.openembedded.dev/conf/distro/include/Angstrom-codec-engine-latest-revert-versions.inc

Re: Using TI DSP link with 3.0.0 kernel

zoso1234
Question for newb. I just got my first image to work with the 3.0 kernel as well. Have yet to try Gstreamer..question I have for you guys..

1- how longs does it take to boot up for you? The Uncompressing Linux...done booting the kernel stage for me takes forever.is it caused by giving the dsp some of the ram?

2- I'm relatively new to the bitbake and only built the 3.0 kernel by mistake. I tried following tutorials like jumptek where the PREFERRED_VERSION_linux-omap3  was set at "2.6.34" but when I tried building it- it said that version was not available and it built the 3.0. How do I know what kernels are available. I could not find where they were located..is this based on the checkout overo file?

3- Sorry for more newb questions--can someone tell me which kernel/uboot is preferred for dsp? u-boot? u-boot-omap? u-boot-sakoman? same for kernel? linux-omap3? linux-sakoman? linux? linux-omap3-caspapx?
- I guess I don't understand what the differences are between them-sorry if this is explained somewhere obvious. Just to clarify I'm not using the Caspa video camera but a camera connected via the ethernet-tobi.

I'm doing this for a school project so everything i'm writing up and will post a link for the finished product.

Thanks

Steve

Re: Using TI DSP link with 3.0.0 kernel

Gutembert
DaWaN,

Thank you for a great post. I'd like to use the TI DSP on my Water COM.

 Before reading your post, I successfully built the images using these instructions: http://gumstix.org/software-development/open-embedded/61-using-the-open-embedded-build-system.html and in addition to this, I also "bitbake x-load" in order to have the three important files (uImage, u-boot, and MLO) ready to create a bootable microSD.

In my $HOME/overo-oe/tmp/deploy/glibc/images/overo, I have all the files (uImage, u-boot, and MLO) but my questions are:

1. If I want to use the DSP, would I follow exactly what you did? or since I have successfully built "uImage, u-boot, and MLO" I don't have to follow your entire steps?

2. After successfully built the images using the instructions provided here: http://gumstix.org/software-development/open-embedded/61-using-the-open-embedded-build-system.html, which kernel will be generated?

3. I want to use Water COM for image compression, therefore I "bitbake opencv" and I successfully built the jpeg and opencv binary files ready to be ported to my Gumstix OS; any advice on how to get all of these being successfully integrated with your propose steps?

I am using Ubuntu 11.10, 32 bit.

Thank you,
Gutembert.

Re: Using TI DSP link with 3.0.0 kernel

zoso1234
I would look at the following: http://www.jumpnowtek.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=81:gumstix-dsp-gstreamer&catid=35:gumstix&Itemid=67
-there are a couple of tutorials that will get you pretty far. You need to download a couple TI files from their website(explained in tutorial) and add them to your source folder. You should also look at their dsp-console.bb that worked for me.

Re: Using TI DSP link with 3.0.0 kernel

ivanfarray
HI,

I follow this step and when overo load i get this error:

Running /usr/share/ti/gst/omap3530/loadmodules.shWaiting for connection on channel 1
FATAL: Module cmemk not found.
FATAL: Module dsplinkk not found.
FATAL: Module lpm_omap3530 not found.
FATAL: Module sdmak not found.

Does anyone know about it?

Re: Using TI DSP link with 3.0.0 kernel

nickw1881
This is solved by adding a script in init.d to run /usr/share/ti/gst/omap3530/loadmodules.sh:

You can also just build a DSP image using the new instructions CHris Whittenburg made: http://www.sleepyrobot.com/?p=210