Quantcast

Unable to use Overo AirSTORM COM

Yonatan Broza
Hi,

We've been trying to setup our new Overo AirSTORM COM for several weeks now. Our requirements are to at least setup Wifi WLAN client and Bluetooth PAN AP.

We tried:
* The official Linaro Ubuntu - we were unable to get the bluetooth device to show (using hcitool). We suspect a missing or defective device driver.
* Yocto - there is a long list of images for download. Those we tried simply did not boot.
* Angstrom - using the latest stable image, we could get Wifi to work with a static IP address (DHCP failed). After many attempts we managed pair with another Bluetooth device but only when running bluetoothd in a foreground debug mode. We were, however, unable to setup PAN (even when following the wiki page) due to a security error response in hcidump output.

In an attempt to fix problems and add necessary kernel modules, we also tried to build the stable Angstrom version kernel but failed (see mailing list post).

We are surprised that these basic features apparently do not work out of the box and by the apparent lack of official fully functional software builds and documentation.

We would appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks.

Re: Unable to use Overo AirSTORM COM

adam
Hello Yonatan, sorry to hear things aren't working as well as they should.

Which Yocto image have you tried? And how does it not boot? I'm testing the Yocto images right now and would love to get wlan and BT working if they aren't working properly before we release the new Gumstix BSP layers. Perhaps the good starting point is the announcement I posted earlier today.

Regards,

Adam

On Tue, Aug 13, 2013 at 5:45 AM, Yonatan Broza [via Gumstix] <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

http://gumstix.8.x6.nabble.com/Unable-to-use-Overo-AirSTORM-COM-tp4967707.html
To start a new topic under Gumstix, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Gumstix, click here.
NAML

Gus

Re: Unable to use Overo AirSTORM COM

Gus
Hello Yonatan,

I use an Overo AirSTORM COM, and I have no problem with this to use the wifi (I didn't try the blutooth yet, but it seems to work too...)
For the images you tried:
* I didn't try the official Linaro Ubuntu...
* For Yocto, I tried a lot of images and all work properly (console-image, desktop-image...). Now I'm working with a pansenti-console-image which I have slightly modified and it works perfectly (you can find information here: )...
But if you have problem to boot with theses images, maybe you have to try this:
   1) Create your bootbale SD card as described here,
   2)  add in the directory /home/root/images of your SD card (just after untarred the rootfs.tar.bz2 on the rootfs partition) the rootfs.ubi file as the uImage file (it will be usefull to write the image in the NAND when you checked that it boots properly form SD card).
   3) Then flash the NAND with linux (but only the uImage and the rootfs.ubi) as described here). For me, flashing the MLO and the u-boot.img with linux failed, and flashing with uboot using the instructions here worked (but replace the line "nandecc sw" with "nandecc hw" for the u-boot, and flash only the MLO and the u-boot, because you have flashed the uImage and the rootfs with linux...) If it doesn't work, please send us the error which occurrs during boot...
* For angstrom, I needed to remove "network-manager" and follow the instructions here to obtain a wifi which works directly after boot...

Hope this will help...

Regards,

Gus