Quantcast

USB OTG, devices not detected

12

USB OTG, devices not detected

vin047
I'm trying to get my USB hub working with a yocto image built on master (dora) today. USB devices are not being detected and so I followed the advice that I need to load a gadget driver such as g_serial, but when I run modprobe g_serial I get:

'modprobe: FATAL: Module g_serial not found'

Please help. I've been trying all day. I went to yocto/poky/meta-gumstix/recipes-kernel/linux/linux-gumstix-3.5/overo/defconfig and changed CONFIG_USB_G_SERIAL=m and rebuilt the image but it still didn't work. Any other ways to get USB OTG working as a regular USB device? (I know it works because the hub and USB devices are detected when booting from the NAND image)

Re: USB OTG, devices not detected

sudhangathan

Hi,

I suppose the USB drivers in kernel 3.5 are broken. Please use kernel 3.4 to solve your problem. In kernel version 3.4 both ohci and ehci works well.

Which kernel version does your nand image have..?

Moreover, if you want to change kernel config variables, use
bitbake -c menuconfig virtual/kernel
Changes might not take effect when you change directly in the defconfig. Verify that your changes have taken effect in the .config file of the kernel's build folder.

Best,
Sudhangathan BS.
Ph: +91 9731905205

Working on a MMX Android 110.
--If you have not travelled, you have not lived.

On 25-May-2014 3:37 AM, "vin047" <[hidden email]> wrote:
I'm trying to get my USB hub working with a yocto image built on master
(dora) today. USB devices are not being detected and so I followed the
advice that I need to load a gadget driver such as g_serial, but when I run
modprobe g_serial I get:

'modprobe: FATAL: Module g_serial not found'

Please help. I've been trying all day. I went to
yocto/poky/meta-gumstix/recipes-kernel/linux/linux-gumstix-3.5/overo/defconfig
and changed CONFIG_USB_G_SERIAL=m and rebuilt the image but it still didn't
work. Any other ways to get USB OTG working as a regular USB device? (I know
it works because the hub and USB devices are detected when booting from the
NAND image)

Re: USB OTG, devices not detected

vin047
Hi,

How do I change the kernel version? I tried

PREFERRED_VERSION_linux-stable = "3.4"

in both local.conf and in overo.conf but bitbake showed that it was still building kernel 3.5.

NAND has 2.6.34 kernel (stock from gumstix i think).

Thanks for the tip about menuconfig. I gave that a try but g_serial module is still not being built (or is not found).

Re: USB OTG, devices not detected

adam
Overo is only supported in kernel 3.5 - Take a look at
https://github.com/gumstix/Gumstix-YoctoProject-Repo/wiki

Adam

On Sun, May 25, 2014 at 5:39 PM, vin047 <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> How do I change the kernel version? I tried
>
> PREFERRED_VERSION_linux-stable = "3.4"
>
> in both local.conf and in overo.conf but bitbake showed that it was still
> building kernel 3.5.
>
> NAND has 2.6.34 kernel (stock from gumstix i think).
>
> Thanks for the tip about menuconfig. I gave that a try but g_serial module
> is still not being built (or is not found).

Re: USB OTG, devices not detected

vin047
any ideas on how to get usb otg to recognise my hub and usb device on 3.5 or 3.2? (flash drive/usb webcam)

i guess i can't change to 3.4 then, but i noticed theres a recipe for 3.2 for the overo. so i did:

preferred_version_linux-gumstix = "3.2"

in my local.conf. this worked, and seemed to compile a 3.2 kernel (verified by watching bit bake build linux-gumstix-3.2 and by uname -a on the booted image). g_serial is now present on the image, however lsusb still doesn't show anything, even after i load g_serial at boot

Re: USB OTG, devices not detected

adam
Has USB ever worked on your board? It could be a dud USB controller.

Adam

On Sun, May 25, 2014 at 8:38 PM, vin047 <[hidden email]> wrote:

> any ideas on how to get usb otg to recognise my hub and usb device on 3.5 or
> 3.2? (flash drive/usb webcam)
>
> i guess i can't change to 3.4 then, but i noticed theres a recipe for 3.2
> for the overo. so i did:
>
> preferred_version_linux-gumstix = "3.2"
>
> in my local.conf. this worked, and seemed to compile a 3.2 kernel (verified
> by watching bit bake build linux-gumstix-3.2 and by uname -a on the booted
> image). g_serial is now present on the image, however lsusb still doesn't
> show anything, even after i load g_serial at boot

Re: USB OTG, devices not detected

sudhangathan

I'm using kernel 3.4 from the khilman's repo on overo fire, most features are working without a problem.

I wrote a recipe for kernel 3.4, and then made corresponding changes in the overo.conf file in the machine folder.

I'm now travelling, I can probably help you more when I get to lab.

Best,
Sudhangathan BS.
Ph: +91 9731905205

Working on a MMX Android 110.
--If you have not travelled, you have not lived.

any ideas on how to get usb otg to recognise my hub and usb device on 3.5 or
3.2? (flash drive/usb webcam)

i guess i can't change to 3.4 then, but i noticed theres a recipe for 3.2
for the overo. so i did:

preferred_version_linux-gumstix = "3.2"

in my local.conf. this worked, and seemed to compile a 3.2 kernel (verified
by watching bit bake build linux-gumstix-3.2 and by uname -a on the booted
image). g_serial is now present on the image, however lsusb still doesn't
show anything, even after i load g_serial at boot

Re: USB OTG, devices not detected

vin047
The USB does work. If I take out the SD card and boot from NAND (which has a stock Ansgtrom distro with 2.6.34 kernel) the USB devices are detected.

I managed to get it to work earlier using the g_serial trick, but I *think* that was when using the dylan branch (I say think because I'd just started working with Yocto around April, and I believe it worked, but then around May I did a repo sync. I think this was after main branch was changed from dylan to dora, right? so I think it upgraded my local files to dora and so stopped working once I rebuilt the image)

Re: USB OTG, devices not detected

vin047
Hi Adam,

Let me clear things up before proceeding:

3.2 kernel
g_serial is present and can be loaded at boot with no errors. but no USB devices are detected regardless.

3.5 kernel
g_serial is not even present, modprobe isn't finding it.

so when you say that USB composite is blocking other drivers, are you referring to 3.5 or 3.2?
Also, what specific options should i be looking to set in menuconfig? also, i originally edited the defconfig files directly, but now im using menuconfig, but could there be a conflict between the two? i think i undid all the changes...

Re: USB OTG, devices not detected

adam
I was talking about the 3.5 kernel. The 3.5 doesn't build gadget drivers (g_ether, g_serial). So it's right that you don't find it in your system.

To find out whether you have the necessary kernel modules, you can check if kernel modules have been installed in your root file system by looking at what's available in /lib/modules/ directory.

For example,

root@pepper:/lib/modules/3.2.0-yocto-standard/kernel$  find ./ *.ko
./
./drivers
./drivers/scsi
./drivers/scsi/scsi_wait_scan.ko
./drivers/net
./drivers/net/wireless
./drivers/net/wireless/mwifiex
./drivers/net/wireless/mwifiex/mwifiex_sdio.ko
./drivers/net/wireless/mwifiex/mwifiex.ko
./drivers/hid
./drivers/hid/hid-logitech-dj.ko
./block
./block/blk-cgroup.ko
./block/cfq-iosched.ko

Note that above is for the Pepper SBC, not Overo. If you have g_serial, you should find a file name g_serial.ko.

As for your 3.2 kernel loading the driver but not seeing any downstream devices, I don't have an explanation. Let me try it out myself, as I haven't built 3.2 for a while.

Let me know,

Adam

On Mon, May 26, 2014 at 9:52 AM, vin047 <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Adam,

Let me clear things up before proceeding:

3.2 kernel
g_serial is present and can be loaded at boot with no errors. but no USB
devices are detected regardless.

3.5 kernel
g_serial is not even present, modprobe isn't finding it.

so when you say that USB composite is blocking other drivers, are you
referring to 3.5 or 3.2?
Also, what specific options should i be looking to set in menuconfig? also,
i originally edited the defconfig files directly, but now im using
menuconfig, but could there be a conflict between the two? i think i undid
all the changes...

Re: USB OTG, devices not detected

vin047
Thanks Adam, I will revert to 3.5 and give it a go now.

Question though: I thought it was best not to edit the defconfig file directly but to use menuconfig? surely if i made the change in menuconfig to include the g_serial driver and remove the composite driver, it should have worked?

Also when switching kernel/package, or generally requiring a rebuild of a package, is the best (most thorough) way of doing it as follows?

bitbake -c cleansstate virtual/kernel && bitbake virtual/kernel
bitbake gumstix-console-image

the wiki: https://github.com/gumstix/Gumstix-YoctoProject-Repo/wiki#force-buildrebuild-a-package seems to suggest that -f compile and -f deploy are needed too

Re: USB OTG, devices not detected

adam
You are right that we shouldn't directly edit the kernel configs. The configuration file in the meta-gumstix repository was generated through menuconfig.

I am building 3.2, but it will take some time because I recently blew away my build directory.

On switching kernel/package, you should be able to simply do `bitbake [package]`. If bitbake detects any change in the recipe file, it should rebuild accordingly. Some times that doesn't seem to work however. In that case I tend to clear the shared state (cleansstate), and bitbake the package.

To specifically change kernel config, here is my work flow:

  1. bitbake virtual/kernel -c menuconfig
  2. //change the configuration, save, and exit - no need to change the file name; just hit enter when it asks for a name.
  3. bitbake virtual/kernel -c compile -f
  4. bitbake virtual/kernel -c deploy -f
You should see new uImage and kernel module archive in your deploy directory.

Let me know,

Adam

On Mon, May 26, 2014 at 11:01 AM, vin047 [via Gumstix] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks Adam, I will revert to 3.5 and give it a go now.

Question though: I thought it was best not to edit the defconfig file directly but to use menuconfig? surely if i made the change in menuconfig to include the g_serial driver and remove the composite driver, it should have worked?

Also when switching kernel/package, or generally requiring a rebuild of a package, is the best (most thorough) way of doing it as follows?

bitbake -c cleansstate virtual/kernel && bitbake virtual/kernel
bitbake gumstix-console-image

the wiki: https://github.com/gumstix/Gumstix-YoctoProject-Repo/wiki#force-buildrebuild-a-package seems to suggest that -f compile and -f deploy are needed too

http://gumstix.8.x6.nabble.com/USB-OTG-devices-not-detected-tp4969149p4969167.html
To start a new topic under Gumstix, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Gumstix, click here.

Re: USB OTG, devices not detected

vin047
Ok, thank you for taking the time to build 3.2 kernel and help investigate this further, really appreciate it.

i've gone back to 3.5.7 in meantime to try out your suggestions: g_serial is now found and modprobe g_serial works and the module is set to load on startup (to clarify, I did this by putting a g_serial.conf file in /etc/modules-load.d which contains single line, g_serial).
Still a no go though, lsusb doesn't show the devices still.

i've copied the boot log below, hopefully someone can help figure this out? the lines that look suspicious to me are:

[    0.154205] usbhs_omap usbhs_omap: xclk60mhsp2_ck set parentfailed error:-22
 and
[    1.547088] ehci-omap.0 supply hsusb1 not found, using dummy regulator

but im not sure if those are normal or not. Note: both lines also occur even when i don't load g_serial on startup.

root@overo:/etc$  dmesg | grep usb
[    0.070159]  usbhs_omap: alias fck already exists
[    0.096984] usbcore: registered new interface driver usbfs
[    0.097106] usbcore: registered new interface driver hub
[    0.097442] usbcore: registered new device driver usb
[    0.106964] twl4030_usb twl4030_usb: HW_CONDITIONS 0x94/148; link 2
[    0.109619] twl4030_usb twl4030_usb: Initialized TWL4030 USB module
[    0.154205] usbhs_omap usbhs_omap: xclk60mhsp2_ck set parentfailed error:-22
[    1.515258] usbcore: registered new interface driver kaweth
[    1.521270] usbcore: registered new interface driver asix
[    1.527130] usbcore: registered new interface driver cdc_ether
[    1.533477] usbcore: registered new interface driver cdc_ncm
[    1.547088] ehci-omap.0 supply hsusb1 not found, using dummy regulator
[    2.599029] usb usb1: default language 0x0409
[    2.599090] usb usb1: udev 1, busnum 1, minor = 0
[    2.599121] usb usb1: New USB device found, idVendor=1d6b, idProduct=0002
[    2.606353] usb usb1: New USB device strings: Mfr=3, Product=2, SerialNumber=1
[    2.614013] usb usb1: Product: OMAP-EHCI Host Controller
[    2.619659] usb usb1: Manufacturer: Linux 3.5.7-custom ehci_hcd
[    2.625946] usb usb1: SerialNumber: ehci-omap.0
[    2.631469] usb usb1: usb_probe_device
[    2.631500] usb usb1: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
[    2.631561] usb usb1: adding 1-0:1.0 (config #1, interface 0)
[    2.631835] hub 1-0:1.0: usb_probe_interface
[    2.631866] hub 1-0:1.0: usb_probe_interface - got id
[    2.676269] usbcore: registered new interface driver usb-storage
[    2.687561] musb-hdrc: version 6.0, ?dma?, otg (peripheral+host)
[    2.694396] musb-hdrc: ConfigData=0xde (UTMI-8, dyn FIFOs, bulk combine, bulk split, HB-ISO Rx, HB-ISO Tx, SoftConn)
[    2.694610] musb-hdrc: MHDRC RTL version 1.400
[    2.694610] musb-hdrc: setup fifo_mode 4
[    2.694641] musb-hdrc: 28/31 max ep, 16384/16384 memory
[    2.695159] musb-hdrc musb-hdrc: USB OTG mode controller at fa0ab000 using DMA, IRQ 92
[    2.705810] twl4030_usb twl4030_usb: twl4030_phy_suspend
[    3.213958] usbcore: registered new interface driver usbhid
[    3.220153] usbhid: USB HID core driver
[    3.225433] usbcore: registered new interface driver snd-usb-audio
[    5.018890] usb usb1: bus auto-suspend, wakeup 1
[    5.273620] twl4030_usb twl4030_usb: twl4030_phy_resume
[    5.273681] musb-hdrc musb-hdrc: MUSB HDRC host driver
[    5.281677] musb-hdrc musb-hdrc: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 2
[    5.304748] musb-hdrc musb-hdrc: supports USB remote wakeup
[    5.304870] usb usb2: default language 0x0409
[    5.304931] usb usb2: udev 1, busnum 2, minor = 128
[    5.304962] usb usb2: New USB device found, idVendor=1d6b, idProduct=0002
[    5.327178] usb usb2: New USB device strings: Mfr=3, Product=2, SerialNumber=1
[    5.334838] usb usb2: Product: MUSB HDRC host driver
[    5.366271] usb usb2: Manufacturer: Linux 3.5.7-custom musb-hcd
[    5.372558] usb usb2: SerialNumber: musb-hdrc
[    5.402679] usb usb2: usb_probe_device
[    5.402740] usb usb2: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
[    5.402832] usb usb2: adding 2-0:1.0 (config #1, interface 0)
[    5.403045] hub 2-0:1.0: usb_probe_interface
[    5.403076] hub 2-0:1.0: usb_probe_interface - got id
[    8.014831] usb usb2: bus auto-suspend, wakeup 1

Re: USB OTG, devices not detected

adam
I just tried my 3.2 kernel.
The root file system was originally running 3.5.

1. I installed the kernel modules and the kernel
2. Upon first boot, no modules were loading, so I ran `depmod`
3. Second boot, I ran `modprobe g_serial`

And that's all that I needed to get keyboard and mouse (connected through a USB hub) working.

As per the two error messages, I wouldn't worry about it. I see them all the time here too..

Let me know,

Adam

http://gumstix.8.x6.nabble.com/USB-OTG-devices-not-detected-tp4969149p4969169.html

vin047
Adam could you post/link/send me your defconfig please? I just verified that nothing is wrong with the hardware. Booting from NAND image shows the usb devices, so it must be a software/image issue! Very frustrating!

Re: USB OTG, devices not detected

adam
I didn't make any change in the config of the kernel 3.2, so it's the
latest version found here -
https://github.com/gumstix/meta-gumstix/blob/d76c1c696862c1d7f1f3c7e38c5c519668d3d47e/recipes-kernel/linux/linux-gumstix-3.2/overo/defconfig

To use 3.2 over 3.5, I had to set the PREFERRED_PROVIDER = "3.2" in
https://github.com/gumstix/meta-gumstix/blob/d76c1c696862c1d7f1f3c7e38c5c519668d3d47e/conf/machine/overo.conf.

Somehow PREFERRED_PROVIDER_virtual/kernel = "3.2" does not work -
although I think this is more correct.

Adam

On Mon, May 26, 2014 at 2:26 PM, vin047 [via Gumstix]
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Adam could you post/link/send me your defconfig please? I just verified that
> nothing is wrong with the hardware. Booting from NAND image shows the usb
> devices, so it must be a software/image issue! Very frustrating!

> NAML

Re: USB OTG, devices not detected

adam
I forgot mention that the 3.2 kernel doesn't have USB Composite driver
built into the kernel. The change was only introduced in 3.5.
In other words, you should be just able to build the image, and have
the modules available in your rootfs.

Adam

On Mon, May 26, 2014 at 2:36 PM, adam <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I didn't make any change in the config of the kernel 3.2, so it's the
> latest version found here -
> https://github.com/gumstix/meta-gumstix/blob/d76c1c696862c1d7f1f3c7e38c5c519668d3d47e/recipes-kernel/linux/linux-gumstix-3.2/overo/defconfig
>
> To use 3.2 over 3.5, I had to set the PREFERRED_PROVIDER = "3.2" in
> https://github.com/gumstix/meta-gumstix/blob/d76c1c696862c1d7f1f3c7e38c5c519668d3d47e/conf/machine/overo.conf.
>
> Somehow PREFERRED_PROVIDER_virtual/kernel = "3.2" does not work -
> although I think this is more correct.
>
> Adam
>
> On Mon, May 26, 2014 at 2:26 PM, vin047 [via Gumstix]
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Adam could you post/link/send me your defconfig please? I just verified
>> that
>> nothing is wrong with the hardware. Booting from NAND image shows the usb
>> devices, so it must be a software/image issue! Very frustrating!

>> NAML

Re: USB OTG, devices not detected

vin047
Adam, could I request your boot log please? I think something is being detected:

twl4030_usb twl4030_usb: HW_CONDITIONS 0x94/148; link 2

this is what appears when theres a USB device attached, but when I remove USB completely, it goes to

twl4030_usb twl4030_usb: HW_CONDITIONS 0x10/16; link 0

i've tried a different combination of devices, link number doesn't change (either 0 or 2) but the hex values seem to be read/calculated from somewhere (they don't change on different boots).

furthermore, when i don't put a USB device, an extra

twl4030_usb twl4030_usb: twl4030_phy_resume

appears early on and a

twl4030_usb twl4030_usb: twl4030_phy_suspend

appears at the end.

if you could post your boot log (or just grep usb) i'd be really grateful.

Re: USB OTG, devices not detected

Ors Tiszay
Hi,

Had a very similar issue (lsusb showing neither the USB HUB, nor any of the devices connected to it) after switching from 2.6.x (compiled using openembedded) to 3.5/yocto (3.5.7-yocto-standard #2 PREEMPT Mon May 12 01:20:01 CEST 2014 armv7l GNU/Linux). I figured I should include and load g_multi, which I did and all my devices duly showed up.

br,
Ors