USB HUB Problem: "disabled by hub (EMI?), re-enabling"

USB HUB Problem: "disabled by hub (EMI?), re-enabling"

simo
Hi,

We are working on a project using a Gumstix Overo Board which is
interfaced with an our custom expansion board. On our board are mounted
other ICs as one USB HUB, 3 FTDI232 usb/rs232 converter, and a
micro-controller.

The firsts versions of the project was mounting a Gumstix Overo
GUM3503FE-R3951 with 512MB DDR LPDRAM & 512MB NAND FLASH MEMORY, with
ängstrom distribution and kernel 2.6.34, and everything has always
worked fine without problems.

Now, we are working with a Gumstix Overo GUM3703FEY with 1 GB NAND, the
latest distribution gumstix-console-image (which is made with Yocto)
with kernel 3.18.18-custom
The expansion board is always the same, and sometimes the USB hub get
totally disconnected reporting the error

"disabled by hub (EMI?), re-enabling ..."

which, in Linux kernel, is handled in the file:

drivers/usb/core/hub.c

This error was already handled in kernel 2.6.34.

The problem is that the USB hub is not re-enabled again. It remains
unconnected (as it should powered off) and we are unable to reset it
neither with an external micro-controller. No way to re-enable it.

If we reboot our board (and so the Gumstix board as well), everything
turns to work again. We need to solve it because without HUB our project
cannot work properly..

Do you have any suggestion about what could be solution to this
problem ?

Thank you in advance.
Simon

Re: USB HUB Problem: "disabled by hub (EMI?), re-enabling"

AngusAitken
Sounds like the DPLL5 issue,  there is a fair bit of info floating about but some good starting points are:

The DM3730 errata sheet - http://www.ti.com/lit/er/sprz319f/sprz319f.pdf  see Advisory 2.1

Some info here - https://e2e.ti.com/support/dsp/omap_applications_processors/f/447/p/247010/865188#865188

Kernel patch for 3.0 - https://github.com/Angstrom-distribution/meta-ti/blob/c14c386946e1ea341faeea292580e37d538d645d/recipes-kernel/linux/linux-3.0/usb/0001-Fix-sprz319-erratum-2.1.patch

Hope this helps a little...

angus

Re: USB HUB Problem: "disabled by hub (EMI?), re-enabling"

simo
The problem is due to an issue with the DPLL5 of the DM3730, which is
documented here:

http://www.ti.com/lit/er/sprz319f/sprz319f.pdf

I found on the following link a patch for the kernel 3.0

http://git.ti.com/glsdk/meta-ti-glsdk/commit/8f1fc028be8567c57ed7d40b1800ece37128b9ac?format=patch

But it is not directly applicable to the kernel 3.18.18 used by Gumstix
because many functions are not compatibles (the type of argument are
different).

There is a patch, a workaround available for Gumstix ?

Regards,
Simon

El mar, 02-02-2016 a las 19:10 +0100, simo escribió:

> Hi,
>
> We are working on a project using a Gumstix Overo Board which is
> interfaced with an our custom expansion board. On our board are mounted
> other ICs as one USB HUB, 3 FTDI232 usb/rs232 converter, and a
> micro-controller.
>
> The firsts versions of the project was mounting a Gumstix Overo
> GUM3503FE-R3951 with 512MB DDR LPDRAM & 512MB NAND FLASH MEMORY, with
> ängstrom distribution and kernel 2.6.34, and everything has always
> worked fine without problems.
>
> Now, we are working with a Gumstix Overo GUM3703FEY with 1 GB NAND, the
> latest distribution gumstix-console-image (which is made with Yocto)
> with kernel 3.18.18-custom
> The expansion board is always the same, and sometimes the USB hub get
> totally disconnected reporting the error
>
> "disabled by hub (EMI?), re-enabling ..."
>
> which, in Linux kernel, is handled in the file:
>
> drivers/usb/core/hub.c
>
> This error was already handled in kernel 2.6.34.
>
> The problem is that the USB hub is not re-enabled again. It remains
> unconnected (as it should powered off) and we are unable to reset it
> neither with an external micro-controller. No way to re-enable it.
>
> If we reboot our board (and so the Gumstix board as well), everything
> turns to work again. We need to solve it because without HUB our project
> cannot work properly..
>
> Do you have any suggestion about what could be solution to this
> problem ?
>
> Thank you in advance.
> Simon

Re: USB HUB Problem: "disabled by hub (EMI?), re-enabling"

Ash Charles
Hi Simon,

I believe an updated version of the patch is included in the 3.18
gumstix linux branch:
https://github.com/gumstix/linux/commit/9084a45df0d8130542ec18df1f255670c93a0f28

--Ash

On Thu, Feb 18, 2016 at 9:23 AM, simo <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The problem is due to an issue with the DPLL5 of the DM3730, which is
> documented here:
>
> http://www.ti.com/lit/er/sprz319f/sprz319f.pdf
>
> I found on the following link a patch for the kernel 3.0
>
> http://git.ti.com/glsdk/meta-ti-glsdk/commit/8f1fc028be8567c57ed7d40b1800ece37128b9ac?format=patch
>

> But it is not directly applicable to the kernel 3.18.18 used by Gumstix
> because many functions are not compatibles (the type of argument are
> different).
>
> There is a patch, a workaround available for Gumstix ?
>
> Regards,
> Simon
>

> El mar, 02-02-2016 a las 19:10 +0100, simo escribió:
>> Hi,
>>
>> We are working on a project using a Gumstix Overo Board which is
>> interfaced with an our custom expansion board. On our board are mounted
>> other ICs as one USB HUB, 3 FTDI232 usb/rs232 converter, and a
>> micro-controller.
>>
>> The firsts versions of the project was mounting a Gumstix Overo
>> GUM3503FE-R3951 with 512MB DDR LPDRAM & 512MB NAND FLASH MEMORY, with
>> ängstrom distribution and kernel 2.6.34, and everything has always
>> worked fine without problems.
>>
>> Now, we are working with a Gumstix Overo GUM3703FEY with 1 GB NAND, the
>> latest distribution gumstix-console-image (which is made with Yocto)
>> with kernel 3.18.18-custom
>> The expansion board is always the same, and sometimes the USB hub get
>> totally disconnected reporting the error
>>
>> "disabled by hub (EMI?), re-enabling ..."
>>
>> which, in Linux kernel, is handled in the file:
>>
>> drivers/usb/core/hub.c
>>
>> This error was already handled in kernel 2.6.34.
>>
>> The problem is that the USB hub is not re-enabled again. It remains
>> unconnected (as it should powered off) and we are unable to reset it
>> neither with an external micro-controller. No way to re-enable it.
>>
>> If we reboot our board (and so the Gumstix board as well), everything
>> turns to work again. We need to solve it because without HUB our project
>> cannot work properly..
>>
>> Do you have any suggestion about what could be solution to this
>> problem ?
>>
>> Thank you in advance.
>> Simon

Re: USB HUB Problem: "disabled by hub (EMI?), re-enabling"

simo
Hi Ash,

Sorry for the delayed response and thank you for your reply.
I am trying to recompile the kernel using Yocto environment but the changes are not applied, bitbake seems to refuse to apply the changes of the kernel code.

So I have a couple of questions:

1) What's the best way to recompile the kernel with these changes ? Though Yocto environment is giving us many problems because it seems does not apply the changes and sometimes it completely removes the source folder (but I have a backup, of course).

>From yocto environment shell, I execute:

~$ bitbake linux-gumstix -c compile -f

and then to create an image and having a kernel file compiled available:

~$ bitbake core-image-base

But as I wrote, it fails.
So I tried manually with this command:

~$ make all ARCH=arm CC=/opt/arm/bin/arm-none-linux-gnueabi-gcc LD=/opt/arm/bin/arm-none-linux-gnueabi-ld OBJCOPY=/opt/arm/bin/arm-none-linux-gnueabi-objcopy LOADADDR=0x82000000

and the output, after a while, is:

  CHK     include/config/kernel.release
  CHK     include/generated/uapi/linux/version.h
  CHK     include/generated/utsrelease.h
make[1]: 'include/generated/mach-types.h' is up to date.
  CALL    scripts/checksyscalls.sh
  CHK     include/generated/compile.h
  SKIPPED include/generated/compile.h
  CHK     kernel/config_data.h
  Kernel: arch/arm/boot/Image is ready
  LD      arch/arm/boot/compressed/vmlinux
following symbols must have non local/private scope:
$d
$d
$d
arch/arm/boot/compressed/Makefile:190: recipe for target 'arch/arm/boot/compressed/vmlinux' failed
make[2]: *** [arch/arm/boot/compressed/vmlinux] Error 1
arch/arm/boot/Makefile:52: recipe for target 'arch/arm/boot/compressed/vmlinux' failed
make[1]: *** [arch/arm/boot/compressed/vmlinux] Error 2
arch/arm/Makefile:306: recipe for target 'zImage' failed
make: *** [zImage] Error 2

Perhaps you can suggest a better way to compile or to work ?

2) I noticed that the changes you linked are 5 months old. So, how can we stay updated with the given commits from gumstix development ?

Thank you again.
Regards,
SImon

Re: USB HUB Problem: "disabled by hub (EMI?), re-enabling"

simo
I finally recompiled it using:

~ $ make all ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=arm-none-linux-gnueabi-
~ $ make zImage ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=arm-none-linux-gnueabi- LOADADDR=82000000

And the kernel is successfully loaded and the changes now should be applied.

Simon

El lun, 22-02-2016 a las 10:09 +0100, simo escribió:
Hi Ash,

Sorry for the delayed response and thank you for your reply.
I am trying to recompile the kernel using Yocto environment but the changes are not applied, bitbake seems to refuse to apply the changes of the kernel code.

So I have a couple of questions:

1) What's the best way to recompile the kernel with these changes ? Though Yocto environment is giving us many problems because it seems does not apply the changes and sometimes it completely removes the source folder (but I have a backup, of course).

>From yocto environment shell, I execute:

~$ bitbake linux-gumstix -c compile -f

and then to create an image and having a kernel file compiled available:

~$ bitbake core-image-base

But as I wrote, it fails.
So I tried manually with this command:

~$ make all ARCH=arm CC=/opt/arm/bin/arm-none-linux-gnueabi-gcc LD=/opt/arm/bin/arm-none-linux-gnueabi-ld OBJCOPY=/opt/arm/bin/arm-none-linux-gnueabi-objcopy LOADADDR=0x82000000

and the output, after a while, is:

  CHK     include/config/kernel.release
  CHK     include/generated/uapi/linux/version.h
  CHK     include/generated/utsrelease.h
make[1]: 'include/generated/mach-types.h' is up to date.
  CALL    scripts/checksyscalls.sh
  CHK     include/generated/compile.h
  SKIPPED include/generated/compile.h
  CHK     kernel/config_data.h
  Kernel: arch/arm/boot/Image is ready
  LD      arch/arm/boot/compressed/vmlinux
following symbols must have non local/private scope:
$d
$d
$d
arch/arm/boot/compressed/Makefile:190: recipe for target 'arch/arm/boot/compressed/vmlinux' failed
make[2]: *** [arch/arm/boot/compressed/vmlinux] Error 1
arch/arm/boot/Makefile:52: recipe for target 'arch/arm/boot/compressed/vmlinux' failed
make[1]: *** [arch/arm/boot/compressed/vmlinux] Error 2
arch/arm/Makefile:306: recipe for target 'zImage' failed
make: *** [zImage] Error 2

Perhaps you can suggest a better way to compile or to work ?

2) I noticed that the changes you linked are 5 months old. So, how can we stay updated with the given commits from gumstix development ?

Thank you again.
Regards,
SImon

Re: USB HUB Problem: "disabled by hub (EMI?), re-enabling"

TK421
We have a similar setup; using a GUM3703FEY, custom expansion board, and 3.18.18 kernel.  We received similar hub disconnect errors mentioned previously

"disabled by hub (EMI?), re-enabling ..."

We had luck following the suggestions for the DPLL5 patch for some of our units, but not all of the units.  In the TI errata sheet on this issue, http://www.ti.com/lit/er/sprz319f/sprz319f.pdf, it indicates that a 13 or 26 MHz system clock may still produce data transfer errors on the USB bus, even with the patch applied.  Our units appear to be of the latter variety.

Do all of the GUM3703FEY have a similar system clock?  The patch is said to eliminate the error for 12, 19.2, and 38.4 MHz system clocks.