Quantcast

UART2 on Duovero/Parlor

carveone
Hello all,

I'm not sure if I have a problem here or not. As far as I can tell,
UART2 on the Parlor board should appear as /dev/ttyO1. After all,
UART3 is the console and that appears as /dev/ttyO2. However, if I do
something simple like:

echo "hello" > /dev/ttyO1

I see nothing on an oscilloscope. The command hangs even though (as
far as I know) I've set the tty parameters correctly. Also I see this
in dmesg:

systemd[1]: Starting Attach CSR Bluetooth Adapter on ttyO1...

Is that interfering? I'd very appreciate any insights.

Thanks,

Conor.

Re: UART2 on Duovero/Parlor

Scott Ellis
You definitely don't need that TTY systemd service on a Duovero.
The Duovero bluetooth radio doesn't use a serial port.
That service is for Overos.

Re: UART2 on Duovero/Parlor

carveone
Thanks Scott. I'm trying to figure out how to turn that stuff on in
systemd. I've just the standard sysvinit for many years but systemd
no...

This is what I systemctl gives me:

root@duovero:/etc/systemd/system# systemctl | grep -i bluetooth
sys-devi...ooth-hci0.device loaded active plugged
/sys/devices/virtual/bluetooth/hci0
sys-devi...ooth-hci1.device loaded active plugged
/sys/devices/virtual/bluetooth/hci1
sys-subs...ices-hci0.device loaded active plugged
/sys/subsystem/bluetooth/devices/hci0
sys-subs...ices-hci1.device loaded active plugged
/sys/subsystem/bluetooth/devices/hci1
bluetooth-ttyO1.service     loaded failed failed    Attach CSR
Bluetooth Adapter on ttyO1
bluetooth.service           loaded active running   Bluetooth service
bluetooth.target            loaded active active    Bluetooth

It's not as if the lines for UART2 aren't correct, that's the thing. I
can change the lines to GPIO and move them up and down. I currently
have uart2_rx connected to uart2_tx with a resistor as a loopback but
I can't get /dev/ttyO1 to show anything....

Thanks for the help,

Conor.

On Wed, Mar 26, 2014 at 5:21 PM, Scott Ellis <[hidden email]> wrote:

> You definitely don't need that TTY systemd service on a Duovero.
> The Duovero bluetooth radio doesn't use a serial port.
> That service is for Overos.

Re: UART2 on Duovero/Parlor

carveone
Oh thank goodness! I didn't believe that that systemd service would be
messing with tty1 in that way but it does. Once I disabled the
bluetooth services, I could echo "hello" > /dev/ttyO1 and it works
fine :-)

Conor.

On Wed, Mar 26, 2014 at 5:21 PM, Scott Ellis <[hidden email]> wrote:

> You definitely don't need that TTY systemd service on a Duovero.
> The Duovero bluetooth radio doesn't use a serial port.
> That service is for Overos.

Re: UART2 on Duovero/Parlor

adam
Thank you Conor and Scott,

Conor, are you using Yocto Project 1.5 (Dylan)? I'd like to disable the bluetooth service for DuoVero for 1.6 or at least document this in the wiki.

Thanks!

Adam

On Wed, Mar 26, 2014 at 10:46 AM, carveone [via Gumstix] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Oh thank goodness! I didn't believe that that systemd service would be
messing with tty1 in that way but it does. Once I disabled the
bluetooth services, I could echo "hello" > /dev/ttyO1 and it works
fine :-)

Conor.

On Wed, Mar 26, 2014 at 5:21 PM, Scott Ellis <[hidden email]> wrote:

> You definitely don't need that TTY systemd service on a Duovero.
> The Duovero bluetooth radio doesn't use a serial port.
> That service is for Overos.

http://gumstix.8.x6.nabble.com/UART2-on-Duovero-Parlor-tp4968982p4968986.html
To start a new topic under Gumstix, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Gumstix, click here.

Re: UART2 on Duovero/Parlor

I don't use systemd either.

I believe there is a systemctl disable <service> command you
can use.

On a positive note, on a sysvinit Duovero system that doesn't
run any daemons using ttyO1, ttyO1 seems to work just fine.

I just tried it. I jumpered pins 15 and 17 on the 40 pin Parlor
header and  ran a simple serial test program. Works good.

Re: UART2 on Duovero/Parlor

carveone
As my work focuses more on the hardware and interfacing side I'm using
the pre packaged command line build that was on the gumstix website
(2013-something). I believe that's Dylan, yes, but I'm using kernel
3.6 with some changes.

I was wrestling with systemd, trying to figure what commands to do. I
believe it was something like

systemctl disable bluetooth

but I did do more than that in an effort to clear all bluetooth bits
from systemd and I had issues with an error message while doing so.
Thus, unfortunately I don't really have a definitive sequence for you
but it did solve the issue. One thing to possibly include is the
offset: So UART2 is /dev/ttyO1 and the console on UART3 is on
/dev/ttyO2.

Conor.

On Wed, Mar 26, 2014 at 5:49 PM, adam <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thank you Conor and Scott,
>
> Conor, are you using Yocto Project 1.5 (Dylan)? I'd like to disable the
> bluetooth service for DuoVero for 1.6 or at least document this in the wiki.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Adam
>

> On Wed, Mar 26, 2014 at 10:46 AM, carveone [via Gumstix] <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> Oh thank goodness! I didn't believe that that systemd service would be
>> messing with tty1 in that way but it does. Once I disabled the
>> bluetooth services, I could echo "hello" > /dev/ttyO1 and it works
>> fine :-)
>>
>> Conor.
>>
>> On Wed, Mar 26, 2014 at 5:21 PM, Scott Ellis <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> > You definitely don't need that TTY systemd service on a Duovero.
>> > The Duovero bluetooth radio doesn't use a serial port.
>> > That service is for Overos.
>> >

>> > --

>> NAML

Re: UART2 on Duovero/Parlor

adam
Thanks Conor, I think I will do more extensive testing to find out the ingredients.

Adam

http://gumstix.8.x6.nabble.com/UART2-on-Duovero-Parlor-tp4968982p4968989.html