Quantcast

Trouble bringing up Stagecoach boards

Michael Hope
Hi there.  My Stagecoach and seven Overo Tide boards arrived
yesterday, but I'm having trouble getting the board to work in
anything but the first slot.

I've prepared a 2 GB SD card with MLO, u-boot, and uImage from the
201010200957 factory release.  The rootfs has Linaro 11.10 (a Ubuntu
Maverick flavour) on it.  I created and signed a boot.scr that
contains the following:

setenv bootcmd 'fatload mmc 0:1 0x80000000 uImage; bootm 0x80000000'
setenv bootargs ' console=tty0 console=ttyS2,115200n8
root=/dev/mmcblk0p2 rootwait ro earlyprintk fixrtc nocompcache
vram=12M omapfb.debug=y omapfb.mode=dvi:1280x720MR-16@60'
boot

This boots quite happily if I put the Overo in the slot next to the
USB console and Ethernet port.  It takes about a minute to boot, but
in the end I see the two LEDs next to the USB OTG port light up and
see a DHCP request go over the network.  If I then take the same Overo
and SD card and shift it to any other slot, these lights don't come on
and the DHCP request doesn't get sent.

How can I debug this?  Is there any way of getting to the console when
in a different slot?

For reference, the blue and green LEDs on the Overo are on.  There are
four LEDs on the Ethernet jack side of the board.  The orange and red
start out on, but turn off after around 30 s.  There are four LEDs
near the USB port.  These stay off.

-- Michael

Re: Trouble bringing up Stagecoach boards

ashcharles
Hi Michael,

On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 1:20 PM, Michael Hope <[hidden email]> wrote:
> This boots quite happily if I put the Overo in the slot next to the
> USB console and Ethernet port.  It takes about a minute to boot, but
> in the end I see the two LEDs next to the USB OTG port light up and
> see a DHCP request go over the network.  If I then take the same Overo
> and SD card and shift it to any other slot, these lights don't come on
> and the DHCP request doesn't get sent.
This is really puzzling as the slots of the Stagecoach are effectively
identical save the console connection on the first slot and,
potentially, the data in the EEPROM that (IIRC) is specific to each
slot.  When you move the Overo back to the first slot, does it boot
again?  Is the Overo seating properly on the connectors in other
slots?  What rev. boards are you using?

> How can I debug this?  Is there any way of getting to the console when
> in a different slot?
Short answer: no.  As Stagecoach is designed right now, only the first
slot has a console port available.

Sorry that I can't be more help but this is a bit bizarre.
-Ash

On 30 November 2010 14:18, Ash Charles <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Michael,
>
> On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 1:20 PM, Michael Hope <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> This boots quite happily if I put the Overo in the slot next to the
>> USB console and Ethernet port.  It takes about a minute to boot, but
>> in the end I see the two LEDs next to the USB OTG port light up and
>> see a DHCP request go over the network.  If I then take the same Overo
>> and SD card and shift it to any other slot, these lights don't come on
>> and the DHCP request doesn't get sent.
> This is really puzzling as the slots of the Stagecoach are effectively
> identical save the console connection on the first slot and,
> potentially, the data in the EEPROM that (IIRC) is specific to each
> slot.  When you move the Overo back to the first slot, does it boot
> again?  Is the Overo seating properly on the connectors in other
> slots?  What rev. boards are you using?
>>
>> How can I debug this?  Is there any way of getting to the console when
>> in a different slot?
> Short answer: no.  As Stagecoach is designed right now, only the first
> slot has a console port available.
>
> Sorry that I can't be more help but this is a bit bizarre.

I've uploaded videos of the boot here:
 http://people.linaro.org/~michaelh/overo/

Sorry for the poor quality.  The first is in the console slot, the
second in slot 5.  Note that the row of four LEDs do go out when in
slot one, but they come back on after a while.

I tried two different Overos.  Both work in slot 1, both fail in all
of the other slots I tried.

-- Michael

Re: Trouble bringing up Stagecoach boards

ashcharles
Hi Michael,

It looks like the Overo COMs, when mounted in any other slot on your
Stagecoach board than the first slot, are not coming up.  The other
LEDs usually indicate Ethernet activity and we're not seeing that.

Gumstix will contact you off-list to provide warranty coverage.

-Ash

On 1 December 2010 07:06, Ash Charles <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Michael,
>
> It looks like the Overo COMs, when mounted in any other slot on your
> Stagecoach board than the first slot, are not coming up.  The other
> LEDs usually indicate Ethernet activity and we're not seeing that.
>
> Gumstix will contact you off-list to provide warranty coverage.

Turns out it's a tricky software problem.  Ubuntu uses udev which,
among other things, attempts to preserve the names of network
interfaces.  When you plug a SD card into a Overo and plug the Overo
into slot 1, udev detects the network adapter, sees that it's a new
MAC address, assigns the name 'eth0', records it in
/etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules, and everything is happy.
If you take that Overo and put it in slot 2, udev detects a new MAC
address, assigns the name 'eth1', and then the network fails to come
up.

There's a few solutions:
 * Add eth1...eth99 into /etc/network/interfaces
 * Don't use the same SD card in different slots
 * Delete /lib/udev/rules.d/75-persistent-net-generator.rules to stop
udev from preserving names.

I now have six Overos booting quite happily with root over NFS and
compiling away.

The connector on slot 4 seems to be damaged:
 http://people.linaro.org/~michaelh/incoming/connector-1.jpg
and the corresponding Overo:
 http://people.linaro.org/~michaelh/incoming/tide-1.jpg

I'm happy with six out of seven for this proof of concept.

On Thu, Dec 2, 2010 at 2:24 PM, Michael Hope <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Turns out it's a tricky software problem.  Ubuntu uses udev which,
> among other things, attempts to preserve the names of network
> interfaces.  When you plug a SD card into a Overo and plug the Overo
> into slot 1, udev detects the network adapter, sees that it's a new
> MAC address, assigns the name 'eth0', records it in
> /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules, and everything is happy.
> If you take that Overo and put it in slot 2, udev detects a new MAC
> address, assigns the name 'eth1', and then the network fails to come
> up.
This makes sense.  Thanks for emailing back as this mystery was
driving me nuts---having 6 out of 7 slots hardware fail seemed
fantastically unlikely.

> I now have six Overos booting quite happily with root over NFS and
> compiling away.
DistCC on Stagecoach with Tides is a great thing!  Without trying to
hijack the thread: do you have a separate NFS shares for each Overo?
Is the network fast enough to support 7 NFS connections? (I don't know
too much about NFS atm.).

> The connector on slot 4 seems to be damaged:
>  http://people.linaro.org/~michaelh/incoming/connector-1.jpg
> and the corresponding Overo:
>  http://people.linaro.org/~michaelh/incoming/tide-1.jpg
Shipping damage?  Each slot is tested in the factory but if there is
something bad about the shipping packaging on this board, it would be
good to figure it out.

-Ash

Re: Trouble bringing up Stagecoach boards

Michael Hope-3
On Fri, Dec 3, 2010 at 2:30 PM, Ash Charles <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Michael,
>
> On Thu, Dec 2, 2010 at 2:24 PM, Michael Hope <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Turns out it's a tricky software problem.  Ubuntu uses udev which,
>> among other things, attempts to preserve the names of network
>> interfaces.  When you plug a SD card into a Overo and plug the Overo
>> into slot 1, udev detects the network adapter, sees that it's a new
>> MAC address, assigns the name 'eth0', records it in
>> /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules, and everything is happy.
>> If you take that Overo and put it in slot 2, udev detects a new MAC
>> address, assigns the name 'eth1', and then the network fails to come
>> up.
> This makes sense.  Thanks for emailing back as this mystery was
> driving me nuts---having 6 out of 7 slots hardware fail seemed
> fantastically unlikely.
>>
>> I now have six Overos booting quite happily with root over NFS and
>> compiling away.
> DistCC on Stagecoach with Tides is a great thing!  Without trying to
> hijack the thread: do you have a separate NFS shares for each Overo?

Yip.  /srv/nfs/rootfs/carina{1..7}.  There's probably a better way.
At the moment they're identical.

> Is the network fast enough to support 7 NFS connections? (I don't know
> too much about NFS atm.).

Seems to be.  While compiling binutils on a board with a hard disk and
farming out the build via distcc to the Stagecoach, the NFS server
didn't go much above 10 kB/s.  Having 512 MB of RAM helps.  It feels
much more responsive than on a SD card.  A dd if=/dev/zero of=file.bin
gives about 9 MB/s.

>> The connector on slot 4 seems to be damaged:
>>  http://people.linaro.org/~michaelh/incoming/connector-1.jpg
>> and the corresponding Overo:
>>  http://people.linaro.org/~michaelh/incoming/tide-1.jpg
> Shipping damage?  Each slot is tested in the factory but if there is
> something bad about the shipping packaging on this board, it would be
> good to figure it out.

It felt 'soft' when I clicked it in the first time.  I'm not sure how
it would get damaged during shipping as it's not right on the edge and
is fairly low profile.  It's probably my fault.

-- Michael

Using gpio buttons on palo43 in GPE

Victhor Foster
Did anyone try to use the two buttons on the Palo43 as buttons in GPE?
If yes, how did you do it? Linux is able to use the GPIO just fine, but
they don't do any action as there is no program using it.

Re: Trouble bringing up Stagecoach boards

Louis Morda
Hi Michael,

Invaluable information.  Thanks for the great post, it helped a lot.  I was able to get seven Gumstix Overo Air COMs up and running with Angstrom v2.39.  I assigned each Gumstix a different eth interface according to their position in the Stagecoach.  I assigned slot #0 eth0, slot #1 eth1, slot #2 eth2... and everything worked great.  By assigned I mean I setup /etc/network/interfaces for the Gumstix in slot #0:

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

Gumstix in slot #1:

auto eth1
iface eth1 inet dhcp

I have 7 Gumstix Overo Air COMs up and running.