Quantcast

Time zone

Paul D. DeRocco
The archives are full of old questions about how to set the time zone, but
no answers that seem to apply. I'm running core-image-xfce on an Overo/Tobi.
The /etc/timezone file contained the string America/Los_Angeles, but the
time zone info files don't exist. I tried changing it to a time zone
specification string like PST8PDT,M03.2.0,M11.1.0 but that didn't work. I
tried setting it to UTC-7 (which works in the TZ variable for the "date"
command, but that doesn't work.

Is there a right way to do this? Is there even a wrong way to do this that
sort of works?

--

Ciao,               Paul D. DeRocco
Paul                mailto:[hidden email]

Re: Time zone

Scott Ellis
I have tzdata installed as a package on the image.

And I have this post install script in the image recipe as a convenience
since I know where we are using the units

set_local_timezone() {
    ln -sf /usr/share/zoneinfo/EST5EDT ${IMAGE_ROOTFS}/etc/localtime
}

ROOTFS_POSTPROCESS_COMMAND += "set_local_timezone ; "

Dates then show up this way on a running system

root@wandboard-dual:/etc# date
Wed Jul 31 18:42:34 EDT 2013

root@wandboard-dual:/# ls -l /etc/localtime
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 27 Jul 31 17:10 /etc/localtime -> /usr/share/zoneinfo/EST5EDT

You could create the link after boot as well.

The top-level contents of /usr/share/zoneinfo installed by the tzdata package

root@wandboard-dual:/etc# ls /usr/share/zoneinfo/
Africa   CST6CDT  Europe  GMT0       MST7MDT Pacific  Universal    zone.tab
America    EET    GB    Greenwich  NZ ROC W-SU
Asia   EST    GMT     HST        NZ-CHAT ROK WET
Australia  EST5EDT  GMT+0   MET        PRC UCT Zulu
CET   Etc    GMT-0   MST        PST8PDT UTC iso3166.tab

Re: Time zone

Paul D. DeRocco
> From: Scott Ellis [mailto:[hidden email]]
>
> I have tzdata installed as a package on the image.
>
> And I have this post install script in the image recipe as a
> convenience
> since I know where we are using the units

> set_local_timezone() {
>     ln -sf /usr/share/zoneinfo/EST5EDT ${IMAGE_ROOTFS}/etc/localtime
> }
>
> ROOTFS_POSTPROCESS_COMMAND += "set_local_timezone ; "
>
> Dates then show up this way on a running system
>
> root@wandboard-dual:/etc# date
> Wed Jul 31 18:42:34 EDT 2013
>
> root@wandboard-dual:/# ls -l /etc/localtime
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 27 Jul 31 17:10 /etc/localtime ->
> /usr/share/zoneinfo/EST5EDT
>

> You could create the link after boot as well.
>
> The top-level contents of /usr/share/zoneinfo installed by the tzdata
> package
>
> root@wandboard-dual:/etc# ls /usr/share/zoneinfo/
> Africa   CST6CDT  Europe  GMT0       MST7MDT Pacific
>  Universal    zone.tab
> America    EET    GB    Greenwich  NZ ROC W-SU
> Asia   EST    GMT     HST        NZ-CHAT ROK WET
> Australia  EST5EDT  GMT+0   MET        PRC UCT Zulu
> CET   Etc    GMT-0   MST        PST8PDT UTC iso3166.tab

That looks great. I'll try it out.

--

Ciao,               Paul D. DeRocco
Paul                mailto:[hidden email]