Technical Enquiries on Gumstix Orders

Benjamin wong

Hi,

I am trying to place and order and have a few queries.
I have write in a few times but to only one respond which was to an extend not helpful.
Can somebody please help me our with my order?

To begin with, I am trying to build me own device with the the key following features:
1) wifi/hotspot sharing/tethering
2) 4G/LTE/GPS
3) Camera Function
4) able to load apps (APK files, etc.)

I have therefore found Gumstix through several forums and have been using Geppetto by Gumstix since.
My project includes the following list of modules:
Gumstix - Overo COM Connector
4.3" Flip-Side Connector For Newhaven Capacitive Multi-Touch Screen
NimbeLink Skywire Modem
TI Sitara AM3354 (Slim Version)
Boot MicroSD Card Slot for AM3354
Parallel Camera Connector
8GB eMMC Memory

I would like to find out if the above items cater to the features i intend to include in my device. More importantly, i would need a software to tie all these modules/part together for it to be functional. I have been research on the module TI Sitara AM3354 (Slim Version) and found out that they provide Android OS for their modules. My burning question here is, when i receive my custom built device with the above stated module/parts, will it be as simple as just loading the Android OS and everything will work? Should Gumstix be doing the testing on their side WITH the android module loaded?

Thank you.

Re: Technical Enquiries on Gumstix Orders

Andrew C. Smith
Hi,

Geppetto is definitely the way to go.

Benjamin wong wrote
To begin with, I am trying to build me own device with the the key following features:
1) wifi/hotspot sharing/tethering
The WiLink8 module definitely allows WiFi and hotspot ... not sure about tethering but I think that's a software issue, I've just never tried it.
Benjamin wong wrote
2) 4G/LTE/GPS
Yep, NimbeLink Skywire LTE modem is definitely the way to go.  I recently made a board with that on-board and it works great, software is easy to setup.  NOTE, the NimbeLink Skywire LTE modem module in Geppetto does not include the actual modem.  That module just places the headers on the board, you will still need to purchase the modem (available through several suppliers).
Benjamin wong wrote
3) Camera Function
You have a few options here.
Benjamin wong wrote
4) able to load apps (APK files, etc.)
You might need to be more specific.  All yocto builds allow load programs.  Are you talking about Android apps?

Benjamin wong wrote
I have therefore found Gumstix through several forums and have been using Geppetto by Gumstix since.
My project includes the following list of modules:
Gumstix - Overo COM Connector
4.3" Flip-Side Connector For Newhaven Capacitive Multi-Touch Screen
NimbeLink Skywire Modem
All looks good.
Benjamin wong wrote
TI Sitara AM3354 (Slim Version)
Boot MicroSD Card Slot for AM3354
Why are you adding a second processor?  This would put an Overo AND an AM3354 processor on the board.  Do you need two processors on the board?
Benjamin wong wrote
Parallel Camera Connector
This isn't compatible with either the Overo or AM3354.  The Overo already has the 27-pin parallel camera on it (used to connect Caspa and Tiny Caspa cameras).
Benjamin wong wrote
8GB eMMC Memory
Not needed if you're using an Overo.  Most of the Overo COMs have an on-board NAND flash memory chip.
Benjamin wong wrote
More importantly, i would need a software to tie all these modules/part together for it to be functional. I have been research on the module TI Sitara AM3354 (Slim Version) and found out that they provide Android OS for their modules. My burning question here is, when i receive my custom built device with the above stated module/parts, will it be as simple as just loading the Android OS and everything will work? Should Gumstix be doing the testing on their side WITH the android module loaded?
Included with every Geppetto build is a custom image to support all on-board hardware.  Typically this is a Yocto image but since we have working Android images for the Overo (and AM3354) this request could be accommodated.

Andrew

Re: Technical Enquiries on Gumstix Orders

Benjamin wong
Hi Andrew,

Thank you so much for replying. You have no idea how much help you are rendering.

To summarise your reply:
1) I still need to purchase the Nimbelink modem as the one from Geppetto

2) yes, I would need and hope to load Android apps. Hence would the device be able to do that with the Overo?

3) from your understanding, I do not need the AM3354 as I've already have the Overo. What happened was that I actually chose the AM3354 first, but when I added a speaker, I was prompted by the 'connection' feature to add a bother processor.

4) I do not need comets connector as the Overo has ports to attach cameras

5) I do not need the 8gb emmc as the Overo has inbuilt memory

6) last and most importantly from what you've said, every Geppetto build would come ready to use. The image/operating software would support all the hardware on board, making the device work when I receive it.

One again thank you so much Andrew. I look forward to to more advises from you.

> [...]
>
> Benjamin wong wrote
>> More importantly, i would need a software to tie all these modules/part
>> together for it to be functional. I have been research on the module TI
>> Sitara AM3354 (Slim Version) and found out that they provide Android OS
>> for their modules. My burning question here is, when i receive my custom
>> built device with the above stated module/parts, will it be as simple as
>> just loading the Android OS and everything will work? Should Gumstix be
>> doing the testing on their side WITH the android module loaded?
>
> Included with every Geppetto build is a custom image to support all on-board
> hardware.  Typically this is a Yocto image but since we have working Android
> images for the Overo (and AM3354) this request could be accommodated.

> Thanks,
>
> Andrew

Re: Technical Enquiries on Gumstix Orders

2) Yes the Overo can run Android but unfortunately at the moment our Android image doesn't support the new WiLink8 chip (so wireless won't work on Overo-Y boards).

4) Yes the Overo has a single camera connector ... so really you're only able to connect a single camera on that connector.  More cameras could be connected via USB.

All the other items look correct.  Let me know if you need anything else, thanks.

Andrew

Re: Technical Enquiries on Gumstix Orders

Benjamin wong
Hi Andrew,

If Overo run android the image does not support wifi, should i be changing to the TI 3354 instead?
Or what other processor do you recommend that can give me wifi?

Thank you.

> On 5 May 2016, at 10:38 pm, Andrew C. Smith <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi
>
> 2) Yes the Overo can run Android but unfortunately at the moment our Android
> image doesn't support the new WiLink8 chip (so wireless won't work on
> Overo-Y boards).
>
> 4) Yes the Overo has a single camera connector ... so really you're only
> able to connect a single camera on that connector.  More cameras could be
> connected via USB.
>
> All the other items look correct.  Let me know if you need anything else,
> thanks.
>
> Andrew

Re: Technical Enquiries on Gumstix Orders

Benjamin wong
Hi Andrew,

I tried removing the AM3354.
Turns out a lot of my other parts can’t work (based on the ‘connections’ promters).
I believe that is why i had 2 processors in the firs place, AM3354 and overo.
Do advise if this should be the case.
Thank you.

> On 5 May 2016, at 10:38 pm, Andrew C. Smith <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi
>
> 2) Yes the Overo can run Android but unfortunately at the moment our Android
> image doesn't support the new WiLink8 chip (so wireless won't work on
> Overo-Y boards).
>
> 4) Yes the Overo has a single camera connector ... so really you're only
> able to connect a single camera on that connector.  More cameras could be
> connected via USB.
>
> All the other items look correct.  Let me know if you need anything else,
> thanks.
>
> Andrew

Re: Technical Enquiries on Gumstix Orders

Benjamin wong
Or perhaps you could advise me on the best processor for the following requires:
1) internal storage
2) Camera function
3) WIFI/Tether
4) Nimbelink Skywire LTE
5) Android Based

I saw that there is a new AM4378, however that does not have wifi despite being able to support cameras.
Please advise, thank you.

> On 6 May 2016, at 11:43 am, Benjamin wong <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Andrew,
>
> I tried removing the AM3354.
> Turns out a lot of my other parts can’t work (based on the ‘connections’ promters).
> I believe that is why i had 2 processors in the firs place, AM3354 and overo.
> Do advise if this should be the case.
> Thank you.
>
>> On 5 May 2016, at 10:38 pm, Andrew C. Smith <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi
>>
>> 2) Yes the Overo can run Android but unfortunately at the moment our Android
>> image doesn't support the new WiLink8 chip (so wireless won't work on
>> Overo-Y boards).
>>
>> 4) Yes the Overo has a single camera connector ... so really you're only
>> able to connect a single camera on that connector.  More cameras could be
>> connected via USB.
>>
>> All the other items look correct.  Let me know if you need anything else,
>> thanks.
>>
>> Andrew

Re: Technical Enquiries on Gumstix Orders

Andrew C. Smith
Hi Benjamin,

We have just released the AM4378 processor, an upgrade from the AM3354.  I'm not sure why you think it doesn't support WiFi?  We have just released a new capacitive touch single-board computer based on the AM4378, we call it the Poblano (spicy upgrade from Pepper 43C).

https://store.gumstix.com/computers/poblano-43c.html

As you can see, it supports WiFi (using the TI WiLink8 module, WiFi+Bluetooth).  It also has the same camera connector as the Overo (27-pin parallel camera connector).  The board comes with 8GB of on-board eMMC storage.   It does not have the on-board NimbeLink Skywire LTE modem headers but since it has USB (and UART headers) you could easily get an existing companion board to mount the modem and wire it up, for testing.  If you're interested in that let me know, I can make some suggestions.

I don't know your end product but the AM4378 might be a good fit for you if you want a single-board computer.  The Overo will offer similar features, a slight downgrade but the advantage (maybe) for you might be that the Overo is not fixed to the board, it snaps on.  It totally depends on your end product.

The big hiccup here is that our Android support is pretty limited at the moment.  The AM3354 is well supported.  The Overo is supported but the WiLink8 driver isn't at the moment.  Being a new release we haven't tackled Android for the AM4378 yet.  However, other companies do have AM437x support so it is my hope that we will too at a future date.  You should consider this in making your decision.  All our boards are supported through Yocto which does have a graphical interface.

As far as your Geppetto design I don't know why you had to put a second processor on the board, it could be because you're using too many connections (each processor has a finite number of connections).  It could also be that you chose a connection with several options and that ended up conflicting with another connection with limited options.  A good rule of thumb is to connect large things (LCD, ethernet, MMC, audio) first then fill in GPIO connections at the end.  Also, use "Tux Approved" connections where possible, they are the connections with the little penguin next to them.  A good place to start is look through the "Designed by Gumstix" tab and see the actual designs we use for our boards.  From there you can clone them and change as needed.

Based on your needs and your current designs (it looks like touch screen is required), I'd recommend looking into the Arbor boards (Overo based) or the Poblano 43C (AM4378 based) designs and boards.  A good option might be to purchase an off the shelf board, test things out, get your software up and running and then spring for the custom board that is made to your exact specifications and gets rid of any extra wiring.

See me a message if you'd like to go through this in more detail, we can speak off forum.

Thanks,

Andrew

Re: Technical Enquiries on Gumstix Orders

Benjamin wong
Hi Andrew,

Thank you for your reply.
The end product should be like a ‘phone’.
With 4G LTE, Wifi/tether, on-board memory, camera and able to run Android apps (APK).

From what i see AM4378 seems like a good choice, just that i have to wait for android support.
Also, how do i mount the NimbeLink Skywire on Geppetto now that the AM4378 does not have the headers.
Yes, the Geppetto project i have includes a screen with speakers and microphone.

As mention, its almost like a phone.
Do advise if all these are possible.
Thank you.

> [...]
>
> Based on your needs and your current designs (it looks like touch screen is
> required), I'd recommend looking into the Arbor boards (Overo based) or the
> Poblano 43C (AM4378 based) designs and boards.  A good option might be to
> purchase an off the shelf board, test things out, get your software up and
> running and then spring for the custom board that is made to your exact
> specifications and gets rid of any extra wiring.
>
> See me a message if you'd like to go through this in more detail, we can
> speak off forum.
>

> Thanks,
>
> Andrew

Re: Technical Enquiries on Gumstix Orders

Andrew C. Smith
Hi,

Benjamin wong wrote
Also, how do i mount the NimbeLink Skywire on Geppetto now that the AM4378 does not have the headers.
The AM4378 has nothing to do with the NimbeLink module, the two are completely separate.  My comment about the headers was if you wanted to test an existing board (Poblano 43C) before designing your own Geppetto board.  The Poblano 43C does not have the NimbeLink headers because that module wasn't used in the design.  However, when you do your design, if you include the NimbeLink module then the headers will be on the board and the NimbeLink Skywire modem will just snap onto the board (just like other NimbeLink boards).

Since you're designing something like a phone, this setup sounds like a good fit.  We're working on Android so hopefully that issue gets resolved.  However, if you're looking to do voice calls on this "phone", I'm not sure if the NimbeLink modem is the right way to go.  I've never done voice using the modem and I'm not sure if it's able to.  I have used the data connection and sent SMS messages but never voice.  There are ways around it by using VOIP.

Hope this helps, thanks.

Andrew

Re: Technical Enquiries on Gumstix Orders

Benjamin wong
Hi Andrew,

So I can just proceed to design my board with the AM4378 then add in the NimbeLink Skywire modem.
Just to check if this AM4378 we are talking about the same as the TI Sitara AM4378 thats offered on Geppetto.
Much apologies on the back and forth as i am not an engineer myself.
Thank you.

> On 10 May 2016, at 5:50 pm, Andrew C. Smith <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>

> Benjamin wong wrote
>> Also, how do i mount the NimbeLink Skywire on Geppetto now that the AM4378
>> does not have the headers.
>
> The AM4378 has nothing to do with the NimbeLink module, the two are
> completely separate.  My comment about the headers was if you wanted to test
> an existing board (Poblano 43C) before designing your own Geppetto board.
> The Poblano 43C does not have the NimbeLink headers because that module
> wasn't used in the design.  However, when you do your design, if you include
> the NimbeLink module then the headers will be on the board and the NimbeLink
> Skywire modem will just snap onto the board (just like other NimbeLink
> boards).
>
> Since you're designing something like a phone, this setup sounds like a good
> fit.  We're working on Android so hopefully that issue gets resolved.
> However, if you're looking to do voice calls on this "phone", I'm not sure
> if the NimbeLink modem is the right way to go.  I've never done voice using
> the modem and I'm not sure if it's able to.  I have used the data connection
> and sent SMS messages but never voice.  There are ways around it by using
> VOIP.
>

> Hope this helps, thanks.
>
> Andrew

Re: Technical Enquiries on Gumstix Orders

Andrew C. Smith
Yep, use the TI Sitara AM4378.  I would recommend cloning the Poblano 43C design (found in the Designed by Gumstix tab).  That will give you a good start on your design and you can remove things that you don't need.  The NimbeLink modem can connect to the processor (AM4378) using a USB or UART connection.  I would suggest using a USB connection.

Thanks,

Andrew

Re: Technical Enquiries on Gumstix Orders

Benjamin wong
Hi Andrew,

With you advise, i’ve done the following:
1) Processor (Load APK, Operating software/image) - AM4378 with Boot MicroSD Card Slot
2) Screen - 4.3” Newhaven Capacitive Multi-Touch Screen with backlight controller
3) Wifi/Tether - TI WiLink 8
4) 4G/LTE - Nimbelink Skywire Modem
5) Power - 5V/5A Pigtail Regulator, 3.3V/1.5 Regulator, 1.8V/0.6A Rregulator and coin cell backup
6) Audio - Mic and Speaker Connected to TLV320AIC3106 Audio Codec
7) Camera - Tiny Camera connected to AM4378

Would this be good?
Also, this may be a silly question. How do i charge the device?
I’ve added a Micro-AB USB, would that charge the device?

Thank you very much Andrew.

On 10 May 2016, at 7:36 pm, Andrew C. Smith <[hidden email]> wrote:

recommend

Re: Technical Enquiries on Gumstix Orders

Andrew C. Smith
Hi Benjamin,

All looks good except for how you power the device.  Right now you've got a 5V pigtail, which is basically two solder points that you can hook some power supply (5.5V - 36V), that could be a wall connector or a battery.  Depending on what kind of supply, there may be better options.  How will this be powered?

You mention that you have a coin cell backup, this does not provide the main power.  It's meant to maintain some elements (clock) in the processor when power is removed.  The charge for that battery is maintained whenever the processor is powered (by the main power supply).

You asked about charging ... we do not provide any charging circuits for larger (non coin cell) batteries.  Because there are many different battery chemistries and usually each one requires a different type of charger, we do not have charging modules yet.  We've discussed the issue before and in light of of some new, safer types of batteries we may design one.  However, for the time being, nothing would charge a battery.

Let me know if you have questions, thanks.

Andrew

Re: Technical Enquiries on Gumstix Orders

Andrew C. Smith
Hi Benjamin,

Why did you repost the same thing?  I responded a while ago

http://gumstix.8.x6.nabble.com/Technical-Enquiries-on-Gumstix-Orders-tp4970809p4970873.html

Thanks,

Andrew