Quantcast

Systemd optimization

dtran11
Hi I am currently using Yocto (danny) for my overo. I would like to disable stuff from systemd to make things boot faster (disable system logging, udev, etc..). Has anyone done this before with systemd? I have been able to do it before with the old init.d but systemd seems to be very integrated with udev and logging.

Re: Systemd optimization

Akram Hameed
Howdy,

I'm learning a fair bit about systemd myself. I am sure you could probably dig in to where the *.service files are kept, but you can disable services using systemctl IIRC:

systemctl disable servicename.service

Not sure if that persists (can't test right this minute) over a reboot, but one would assume so.

Service files are stashed someplace like /lib/systemd/system

Cheers,

Akram

On Sat, Jun 29, 2013 at 6:19 AM, dtran11 <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi I am currently using Yocto (danny) for my overo. I would like to disable
stuff from systemd to make things boot faster (disable system logging, udev,
etc..). Has anyone done this before with systemd? I have been able to do it
before with the old init.d but systemd seems to be very integrated with udev
and logging.

Re: Systemd optimization

Scott Ellis
You can build sysvinit systems with Yocto. You don't have to use systemd.

We are using the latest [dylan] branch of Yocto, but I'm sure you can do the same with the [danny] branch.

We use the same image recipes for both the Overo and Duovero (as well as BeagleBones) and they work great for us.

Some write up is here Using Yocto to build Syntro systems for Gumstix and BeagleBone.

The image recipes can be found in the meta-pansenti repo under recipes-pansenti/images.

You could do something similar for your own custom images.

Re: Systemd optimization

Akram Hameed
Thanks for your feedback, Scott.

Will investigate and report back on my success/failure ;-)

On Sat, Jul 6, 2013 at 3:11 AM, Scott Ellis <[hidden email]> wrote:
You can build *sysvinit* systems with Yocto. You don't have to use *systemd*.

We are using the latest [dylan] branch of Yocto, but I'm sure you can do the
same with the [danny] branch.

We use the same image recipes for both the Overo and Duovero (as well as
BeagleBones) and they work great for us.

Some write up is here  Using Yocto to build Syntro systems for Gumstix and
BeagleBone
<http://pansenti.wordpress.com/2013/07/05/using-yocto-to-build-syntro-systems-for-gumstix-and-beaglebone/>
.

The image recipes can be found in the  meta-pansenti
<https://github.com/Pansenti/meta-pansenti>   repo under