Quantcast

Support for Arbor50c boards LCD + Ethernet

Support for Arbor50c boards LCD + Ethernet

Patrick Maheral
Hi,

I have an overo-storm on an arbor50c board.  The stock load does not
appear to have support for the arbor50c, and neither do the most recent
builds available on catalina.

I pulled the latest kernel source from:

  https://github.com/gumstix/linux/tree/yocto-v3.18.y

and it looks like the patches from meta-gumstix (next branch) have
already been applied to the source.

With the latest ubuntu image from catalina, and the custom kernel (from
above), I now have support for the LCD display, but the ethernet does
not work.  The sysfs seems to be populated with the device entry (taken
from the dtb), but the driver does not detect the device.

Using devmem2 to read the device ID at 0x2c000050 returns 0, so I
suspect that the device is held in reset, or the device memory is not
mapped correctly.  Writing to that address and then reading back give
the written value, not 0.

Anyone know how to get these boards to work?

Thanks,
Patrick

Re: Support for Arbor50c boards LCD + Ethernet (SOLVED)

Patrick Maheral
On 06/05/16 09:23 AM, Patrick Maheral wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have an overo-storm on an arbor50c board.  The stock load does not
> appear to have support for the arbor50c, and neither do the most recent
> builds available on catalina.
>
> I pulled the latest kernel source from:
>
>   https://github.com/gumstix/linux/tree/yocto-v3.18.y
>
> and it looks like the patches from meta-gumstix (next branch) have
> already been applied to the source.
>
> With the latest ubuntu image from catalina, and the custom kernel (from
> above), I now have support for the LCD display, but the ethernet does
> not work.  The sysfs seems to be populated with the device entry (taken
> from the dtb), but the driver does not detect the device.
>
> Using devmem2 to read the device ID at 0x2c000050 returns 0, so I
> suspect that the device is held in reset, or the device memory is not
> mapped correctly.  Writing to that address and then reading back give
> the written value, not 0.

Found a solution.  I recompiled u-boot (from branch v2015.07), and that
fixed the ethernet problem.  Looks like the ubuntu images on catalina
need to be updated.

Patrick

Re: Support for Arbor50c boards LCD + Ethernet (SOLVED)

Andrew C. Smith
Hi Patrick,

I'm glad you got things running.  Do you have the link to the image you tried from Catalina?  Ideally, you shouldn't be getting images from there, often they are experimental images not meant for general use.  I'm also curious how you knew to even look there?

Thanks,

Andrew

On 06/05/16 10:54 AM, Andrew C. Smith wrote:

> Hi Patrick,
>
> I'm glad you got things running.  Do you have the link to the image you
> tried from Catalina?  Ideally, you shouldn't be getting images from there,
> often they are experimental images not meant for general use.  I'm also
> curious how you knew to even look there?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Andrew
Hi Andrew,

I think I grabbed this image:

 https://gumstix-ubuntu.s3.amazonaws.com/2016-04-29/overo/master/overo-vivid-console.img.xz

I was looking for the most up-to-date version I could get, hoping to
find (possibly experimental) support for the Arbor[57]0C boards.  I am
aware that these are buildbot generated images rather than official
releases.

I found the catalina server because it is linked from the follwoing
gumstix web page:

https://www.gumstix.com/software/software-downloads/

I clicked on the Ubuntu "tab", then on the "Overo Series COMs".  This
gives 2 options:

    Option 1: dd Ready Image
    Option 2: File list

Option 1 is the following link:

https://catalina.gumstix.com/binaries/?sort=-last_updated&search=ubuntu-overo-master-iso

which eventually points back to AWS link for the image I used.

Regards,

Patrick