Quantcast

Streaming webcam with Gumstix Overo Fire

12

Streaming webcam with Gumstix Overo Fire

Leandro Lustosa
I recently got my hands on a Gumstix Overo Fire for a Computer Vision project I am currently working with. I want to process images captured from a webcam using openCV libraries (using main OMAP3 processor) and simultaneously stream non-processed webcam video over LAN (using DSP). Is that viable? Has someone already done something like this?

Re: Streaming webcam with Gumstix Overo Fire

Robert Vogt IV
Hi Lustosa,

It really depends on the camera, especially if the data is compressed
or uncompressed.  I just spent the past week writing 8 different
drivers for the same freaking camera module to (finally) achieve 10fps
from two HDR WVGA imagers simultaneously.  Of course, I can do 60 fps
on a PC just fine, but for some reason the gumstix USB has some high
latency somewhere, so packets were getting dropped.  If you use a
compressed camera, you won't have these issues, but good luck using
that for vision...

Are you only trying to do one camera?  What webcam are you trying to
use?  Does it have linux driver support?  VID/PID?  Thanks.

Robert Vogt IV
CEO
IOSiX, LLC
2375 Parkwood Ave
Ypsilanti, MI  48198
[hidden email]
P: 734-730-9690
F: 734-482-2337

On Sat, Nov 6, 2010 at 12:06 PM, Lustosa <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I recently got my hands on a Gumstix Overo Fire for a Computer Vision project
> I am currently working with. I want to process images captured from a webcam
> using openCV libraries (using main OMAP3 processor) and simultaneously
> stream non-processed webcam video over LAN (using DSP). Is that viable? Has
> someone already done something like this?

Re: Streaming webcam with Gumstix Overo Fire

Leandro Lustosa
Hi Robert Vogt IV,

That's right. I am intending to use only one camera. My idea is to store each frame in a shared memory so that both OMAP3 main CPU and the DSP can work with them. The main CPU is going to work with computer vision while DSP is going to stream these frames in some LAN. For now, I am using a GSPCA compatible cam with JPEG compression. In future, I am going to use a Point Grey cam. But I have implemented nothing so far. I want to know first if somebody has already tried this.

I don't need high FPS streaming rates for my application. I wonder if it possible to do what I want to do with Gumstix.

Robert Vogt IV, are you streaming the video you get from your cams?

Thanks for sharing.

Robert Vogt IV wrote
Hi Lustosa,

It really depends on the camera, especially if the data is compressed
or uncompressed.  I just spent the past week writing 8 different
drivers for the same freaking camera module to (finally) achieve 10fps
from two HDR WVGA imagers simultaneously.  Of course, I can do 60 fps
on a PC just fine, but for some reason the gumstix USB has some high
latency somewhere, so packets were getting dropped.  If you use a
compressed camera, you won't have these issues, but good luck using
that for vision...

Are you only trying to do one camera?  What webcam are you trying to
use?  Does it have linux driver support?  VID/PID?  Thanks.

Robert Vogt IV
CEO
IOSiX, LLC
2375 Parkwood Ave
Ypsilanti, MI  48198
robert@iosix.com
P: 734-730-9690
F: 734-482-2337

On Sat, Nov 6, 2010 at 12:06 PM, Lustosa <lustosa.leandro@gmail.com> wrote:

> I recently got my hands on a Gumstix Overo Fire for a Computer Vision project
> I am currently working with. I want to process images captured from a webcam
> using openCV libraries (using main OMAP3 processor) and simultaneously
> stream non-processed webcam video over LAN (using DSP). Is that viable? Has
> someone already done something like this?

Re: Streaming webcam with Gumstix Overo Fire

Robert Vogt IV
Hi Lustosa,

That sounds reasonable.  I'm not all that familiar with the DSP, but
it seems to me you'd rather have that working on the vision side as I
don't know what it's network access capabilities are (or did you mean
for the compression aspect?).

The jpeg cameras seem to really over-compress the images to fit 30-60
fps into 12mbit/s; an uncompressed camera will be better for vision.
I would stay away from the PT Grey cameras unless you want to spent a
lot of unnecessary money...  I have worked with their Bumblebee camera
before and was not impressed with it, especially for the cost.  Feel
free to contact me directly if you want to talk more about cameras.

If frame rate is not a big concern, then you are in good shape with
the gumstix.  I was able to pull 752x480 @ 16bits/pixel @ 52 fps over
the OTG port without a hub, and without using more than 20% CPU @ 500
MHz.

Robert Vogt IV
CEO
IOSiX, LLC
2375 Parkwood Ave
Ypsilanti, MI  48198
[hidden email]
P: 734-730-9690
F: 734-482-2337

On Sat, Nov 6, 2010 at 1:25 PM, Lustosa <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Robert Vogt IV,
>
> That's right. I am intending to use only one camera. My idea is to store
> each frame in a shared memory so that both OMAP3 main CPU and the DSP can
> work with them. The main CPU is going to work with computer vision while DSP
> is going to stream these frames in some LAN. For now, I am using a GSPCA
> compatible cam with JPEG compression. In future, I am going to use a Point
> Grey cam. But I have implemented nothing so far. I want to know first if
> somebody has already tried this.
>
> I don't need high FPS streaming rates for my application. I wonder if it
> possible to do what I want to do with Gumstix.
>
> Robert Vogt IV, are you streaming the video you get from your cams?
>
> Thanks for sharing.
>

> Robert Vogt IV wrote:
>>
>> Hi Lustosa,
>>
>> It really depends on the camera, especially if the data is compressed
>> or uncompressed.  I just spent the past week writing 8 different
>> drivers for the same freaking camera module to (finally) achieve 10fps
>> from two HDR WVGA imagers simultaneously.  Of course, I can do 60 fps
>> on a PC just fine, but for some reason the gumstix USB has some high
>> latency somewhere, so packets were getting dropped.  If you use a
>> compressed camera, you won't have these issues, but good luck using
>> that for vision...
>>
>> Are you only trying to do one camera?  What webcam are you trying to
>> use?  Does it have linux driver support?  VID/PID?  Thanks.
>>

>> Robert Vogt IV
>> CEO
>> IOSiX, LLC
>> 2375 Parkwood Ave
>> Ypsilanti, MI  48198
>> [hidden email]
>> P: 734-730-9690
>> F: 734-482-2337
>>

>> On Sat, Nov 6, 2010 at 12:06 PM, Lustosa <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> I recently got my hands on a Gumstix Overo Fire for a Computer Vision
>>> project
>>> I am currently working with. I want to process images captured from a
>>> webcam
>>> using openCV libraries (using main OMAP3 processor) and simultaneously
>>> stream non-processed webcam video over LAN (using DSP). Is that viable?
>>> Has
>>> someone already done something like this?

Re: Streaming webcam with Gumstix Overo Fire

kfcandroid
Is anyone still working on this (or similar) USB webcam project?
I got a Logitech QuickCam Express  (046d:0840) with a Overo Fire and Chestnut43 board.
Any hint or suggestion will be highly appreciated.

Thanks for sharing and have a happy weekend :D

James

Re: Streaming webcam with Gumstix Overo Fire

derekjchow
Hi James,

I've streamed images through WiFi on a Gumstix Overo Fire using a
Microsoft webcam. The biggest gotcha I faced during the learning
process was getting the drivers sorted out. By default it seems most
Gumstix images do not include the UVC Video camera driver. If you plug
your webcam in, does your system acknowledge the device (eg, you can
see /dev/video0)? If your setup does not see when web cam when plugged
in, I believe I gave you instructions in a previous thread on how to
compile the UVC driver.

Try plugging in webcam and look for /dev/video0. And telling us the result.

Derek

On Sat, Oct 27, 2012 at 6:02 PM, kfcandroid [via Gumstix]
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Is anyone still working on this (or similar) USB webcam project?
> I got a Logitech QuickCam Express  (046d:0840) with a Overo Fire and
> Chestnut43 board.
> Any hint or suggestion will be highly appreciated.
>
> Thanks for sharing and have a happy weekend :D
>
> James

> NAML

Re: Streaming webcam with Gumstix Overo Fire

rklosinski
Im interested in steaming from usb as well. Im trying to use a Logitech HD920 w/ built in H.264. When I plug the camera in I get /dev/video0 device, but I cant figure out what the video source would be for gst-launch. I tried gst-launch -v v4l2src, but the pipe cannot be found.

Re: Streaming webcam with Gumstix Overo Fire

Jeff L
take a look here
http://www.oz9aec.net/index.php/gstreamer/473-using-the-logitech-c920-webcam-with-gstreamer

On Sun, Oct 28, 2012 at 3:11 PM, rklosinski <[hidden email]> wrote:
Im interested in steaming from usb as well. Im trying to use a Logitech HD920
w/ built in H.264. When I plug the camera in I get /dev/video0 device, but I
cant figure out what the video source would be for gst-launch. I tried
gst-launch -v v4l2src, but the pipe cannot be found.

Re: Streaming webcam with Gumstix Overo Fire

kfcandroid
Thanks for your response, Derek, I really appreciate that.
when I connect the USB webcam to my Chestnut43 board,
and I type in: df in my console, it shoes as following:

root@overo:~# df
Filesystem           1K-blocks      Used Available Use% Mounted on
rootfs                  234528    228656      5872  98% /
ubi0:rootfs             234528    228656      5872  98% /
devtmpfs                248968       144    248824   1% /dev
tmpfs                       40         0        40   0% /mnt/.splash
none                    248968       144    248824   1% /dev
tmpfs                   248968       372    248596   1% /var/volatile
tmpfs                   248968         0    248968   0% /dev/shm
tmpfs                   248968         0    248968   0% /media/ram

When I type in lsusb:
root@overo:~# lsusb

Btw, thanks for the previous instruction about creating a kernel include UVC camera driver,
I followed that and flash it to my NAND but looks like it's still buggy since Gumstix doesn't recognize the webcam...
Any idea about it?

It's just my curiosity,  would it be easier if I install ubuntu on my Gumstix?

Many thanks :D

James

Re: Streaming webcam with Gumstix Overo Fire

kfcandroid
Guys,

I had a bad feeling about the USB HOST port on my Chestnut43 board, let me explain why:

First, I tried to re-compile the kernel with UVC video camera driver followed by Derek's instruction in
other post. (see http://gumstix.8.n6.nabble.com/How-can-I-get-quot-developer-image-quot-kernel-source-code-td4965579.html#a4965636)

Second, I compiled modules:
make ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=arm-linux-gnueabi- modules -j4

And then install those modules:
sudo INSTALL_MOD_PATH=/media/rootfs make ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=arm-linux-gnueabi- modules_install

On Gumstix, I typed:
root@overo:~# depmod
(nothing seem to happen)

Next, I connect the Logitech QuickCam Express (which was supported by qc-driver project)
and I type:
root@overo:~# lsusb
root@overo:~#

No device detected... I tried to reboot, or plug in a USB Mouse, or Flash Drive
but I still got nothing by typing 'lsusb'
(Besides, the Flash drive has a light which will be on once plugged into PC USB port, but it never on the HOST port)

So, I start thinking maybe the Chestnut43 board has a faulty USB HOST port?

Googled that, and I found the following threads :
http://gumstix.8.n6.nabble.com/Overo-Chestnut-USB-ports-td4370132.html
http://gumstix.8.n6.nabble.com/USB-Host-problems-td662510.html
http://neostix.com/hardware-design/product-changes-known-issues-a-eol/67-known-issues.html

Is there anyway I can justify whether I have a faulty USB port or not?

USB Webcam project is very important since its my school project, but looks like I have to solve the
USB port issue first.

Any idea about this situation? Thanks in advance.

James

Re: Streaming webcam with Gumstix Overo Fire

Greg Kogut
What happens when you connect a powered USB hub that supports high-speed mode into the host port, then plug your QuickCam into the hub?

If that doesn't work, what about plugging other USB devices into the hub, e.g. keyboard and mouse?

Greg

Re: Streaming webcam with Gumstix Overo Fire

kfcandroid
Hi Greg,

Thanks for your reply,

I got a Belkin USB Hub, it does support high-speed mode, but it's powered by USB port.
Data Transfer Rate: 480 Mbps
Data Link Protocol: Hi-Speed USB

So I guess that won't work with the HOST port.
Next, I plugged in a USB Mouse (Belkin Optical Mouse, 5V, 100mA) and expect the red light lights up, but it failed.

I also tried an old (Pentium 4 age) DELL USB keyboard, a Kingston Data Traveler 100 USB 2.0 Flash drive
but none of them were detected by the 'lsusb' command

This is really killing me since I don't have any tool to test it, so if anyone who has been through this issue
or any idea will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
James

2012/10/29 Greg Kogut <[hidden email]>
What happens when you connect a powered USB hub that supports high-speed mode into the host port, then plug your QuickCam into the hub?

If that doesn't work, what about plugging other USB devices into the hub, e.g. keyboard and mouse?

Greg

Re: Streaming webcam with Gumstix Overo Fire

kfcandroid
As I am waiting for hint regarding the USB webcam and USB HOST port issue,
I tried to plug in a Multi-in-one memory card reader/writer to the OTG port with the HOST connect to a USB Webcam

not surprisingly, same disappointing result:
root@overo:/bin# lsusb

Then I tried to run other command 'usb-devices'
root@overo:/bin# usb-devices
T:  Bus=01 Lev=00 Prnt=00 Port=00 Cnt=00 Dev#=  1 Spd=480 MxCh= 3
D:  Ver= 2.00 Cls=09(hub  ) Sub=00 Prot=00 MxPS=64 #Cfgs=  1
P:  Vendor=1d6b ProdID=0002 Rev=03.02
S:  Manufacturer=Linux 3.2.0+ ehci_hcd
S:  Product=OMAP-EHCI Host Controller
S:  SerialNumber=ehci-omap.0
C:  #Ifs= 1 Cfg#= 1 Atr=e0 MxPwr=0mA
I:  If#= 0 Alt= 0 #EPs= 1 Cls=09(hub  ) Sub=00 Prot=00 Driver=hub
root@overo:/bin#

It seems like none of my USB device could be correctly detected by any of the port
on my Chestnut43 board.

I've tried
 1. Kingston Data Traveler USB 2.0 Flash Drive
 2. DELL USB keyboard
 3. Multiple-in-one USB 2.0 Card reader
 4. USB 2.0 Portable hard drive
 5. Logitech QuickCam Express

Is anyone with USB Webcam related experience can help me out here?
I really have no idea about WHERE is the problem :(

Hope to hear from you guys soon
James

Re: Streaming webcam with Gumstix Overo Fire

Frank Agius
On 10/30/2012 2:57 AM, kfcandroid wrote:

> As I am waiting for hint regarding the USB webcam and USB HOST port issue,
> I tried to plug in a Multi-in-one memory card reader/writer to the OTG port
> with the HOST connect to a USB Webcam
>
> not surprisingly, same disappointing result:
> /root@overo:/bin# lsusb
> Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub/
>
> Then I tried to run other command 'usb-devices'
> /root@overo:/bin# usb-devices
> T:  Bus=01 Lev=00 Prnt=00 Port=00 Cnt=00 Dev#=  1 Spd=480 MxCh= 3
> D:  Ver= 2.00 Cls=09(hub  ) Sub=00 Prot=00 MxPS=64 #Cfgs=  1
> P:  Vendor=1d6b ProdID=0002 Rev=03.02
> S:  Manufacturer=Linux 3.2.0+ ehci_hcd
> S:  Product=OMAP-EHCI Host Controller
> S:  SerialNumber=ehci-omap.0
> C:  #Ifs= 1 Cfg#= 1 Atr=e0 MxPwr=0mA
> I:  If#= 0 Alt= 0 #EPs= 1 Cls=09(hub  ) Sub=00 Prot=00 Driver=hub
> root@overo:/bin# /
>
> It seems like none of my USB device could be correctly detected by any of
> the port
> on my Chestnut43 board.
>
> I've tried
>   1. Kingston Data Traveler USB 2.0 Flash Drive
>   2. DELL USB keyboard
>   3. Multiple-in-one USB 2.0 Card reader
>   4. USB 2.0 Portable hard drive
>   5. Logitech QuickCam Express
>
> Is anyone with USB Webcam related experience can help me out here?
> I really have no idea about WHERE is the problem :(
>
> Hope to hear from you guys soon

What is version of your kernel?  Post the output of "uname -a".

frank

Re: Streaming webcam with Gumstix Overo Fire

kfcandroid
Hi Frank,

Here's my kernel version based on 'uname -a'

root@overo:~# uname -a
Linux overo 3.2.0+ #13 PREEMPT Mon Oct 29 21:09:34 PDT 2012 armv7l GNU/Linux

Thanks in advance.
James

2012/10/30 Frank Agius <[hidden email]>
On 10/30/2012 2:57 AM, kfcandroid wrote:
> As I am waiting for hint regarding the USB webcam and USB HOST port issue,
> I tried to plug in a Multi-in-one memory card reader/writer to the OTG port
> with the HOST connect to a USB Webcam
>
> not surprisingly, same disappointing result:
> /root@overo:/bin# lsusb
> Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub/
>
> Then I tried to run other command 'usb-devices'
> /root@overo:/bin# usb-devices
> T:  Bus=01 Lev=00 Prnt=00 Port=00 Cnt=00 Dev#=  1 Spd=480 MxCh= 3
> D:  Ver= 2.00 Cls=09(hub  ) Sub=00 Prot=00 MxPS=64 #Cfgs=  1
> P:  Vendor=1d6b ProdID=0002 Rev=03.02
> S:  Manufacturer=Linux 3.2.0+ ehci_hcd
> S:  Product=OMAP-EHCI Host Controller
> S:  SerialNumber=ehci-omap.0
> C:  #Ifs= 1 Cfg#= 1 Atr=e0 MxPwr=0mA
> I:  If#= 0 Alt= 0 #EPs= 1 Cls=09(hub  ) Sub=00 Prot=00 Driver=hub
> root@overo:/bin# /
>
> It seems like none of my USB device could be correctly detected by any of
> the port
> on my Chestnut43 board.
>
> I've tried
>   1. Kingston Data Traveler USB 2.0 Flash Drive
>   2. DELL USB keyboard
>   3. Multiple-in-one USB 2.0 Card reader
>   4. USB 2.0 Portable hard drive
>   5. Logitech QuickCam Express
>
> Is anyone with USB Webcam related experience can help me out here?
> I really have no idea about WHERE is the problem :(
>
> Hope to hear from you guys soon

What is version of your kernel?  Post the output of "uname -a".

frank

Best,
James

Re: Streaming webcam with Gumstix Overo Fire

kfcandroid
Here's the result of my 'lsmod' did I missed any module?
root@overo:~# lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by
rfcomm                 55238  5
bnep                   13214  2
hci_uart               20881  3
bluetooth             209153  13 rfcomm,bnep,hci_uart
ipv6                  242474  20
mt9v032                 5998  4294967295
libertas_sdio          16075  0
libertas               96500  1 libertas_sdio
omap3_isp             107100  0
cfg80211              165386  1 libertas
v4l2_common             8951  2 mt9v032,omap3_isp
videodev               83353  3 mt9v032,omap3_isp,v4l2_common
rfkill                 17041  4 bluetooth,cfg80211
media                  12525  3 mt9v032,omap3_isp,videodev
lib80211                5017  1 libertas
firmware_class          6797  2 libertas_sdio,libertas
ads7846                10355  0

James

Re: Streaming webcam with Gumstix Overo Fire

James Linder

On 30/10/2012, at 6:28 PM, [hidden email] wrote:

> I got a Belkin USB Hub, it does support high-speed mode, but it's powered
> by USB port.
> *Data Transfer Rate:* 480 Mbps
> *Data Link Protocol:* Hi-Speed USB
>
> So I guess that won't work with the HOST port.
> Next, I plugged in a USB Mouse (Belkin Optical Mouse, 5V, 100mA) and expect
> the red light lights up, but it failed.
>
> I also tried an old (Pentium 4 age) DELL USB keyboard, a Kingston Data
> Traveler 100 USB 2.0 Flash drive
> but none of them were detected by the 'lsusb' command
>
> This is really killing me since I don't have any tool to test it, so if
> anyone who has been through this issue
> or any idea will be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance!
> James
>

> 2012/10/29 Greg Kogut <[hidden email]>
>
>> What happens when you connect a powered USB hub that supports high-speed
>> mode into the host port, then plug your QuickCam into the hub?
>>
>> If that doesn't work, what about plugging other USB devices into the hub,
>> e.g. keyboard and mouse?

Its simple! You must use a powered hub. The gumsticks does not  power the hub. It really is simple.

James

Re: Streaming webcam with Gumstix Overo Fire

William Pretty Security Inc
I would suggest a Belkin 4 port hub. (NOT THE 7 PORT VERSION)
The 7 port version will not power "high power" devices like Alpha WiFi ...

wrote:

> I got a Belkin USB Hub, it does support high-speed mode, but it's
> powered by USB port.
> *Data Transfer Rate:* 480 Mbps
> *Data Link Protocol:* Hi-Speed USB
>
> So I guess that won't work with the HOST port.
> Next, I plugged in a USB Mouse (Belkin Optical Mouse, 5V, 100mA) and
> expect the red light lights up, but it failed.
>
> I also tried an old (Pentium 4 age) DELL USB keyboard, a Kingston Data
> Traveler 100 USB 2.0 Flash drive but none of them were detected by the
> 'lsusb' command
>
> This is really killing me since I don't have any tool to test it, so
> if anyone who has been through this issue or any idea will be greatly
> appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance!
> James
>

> 2012/10/29 Greg Kogut <[hidden email]>
>
>> What happens when you connect a powered USB hub that supports
>> high-speed mode into the host port, then plug your QuickCam into the hub?
>>
>> If that doesn't work, what about plugging other USB devices into the
>> hub, e.g. keyboard and mouse?

Its simple! You must use a powered hub. The gumsticks does not  power the
hub. It really is simple.

James

-----
No virus found in this message.

Re: Streaming webcam with Gumstix Overo Fire

kfcandroid
Hi James & William,

Is that means once I plugged in a powered usb hub and my device should work w/out any problem?
The one I'm using (Belkin as well) is like the one in following link:
http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-F4U006-RED-Port-Travel-USB/dp/B001TK3R1O/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1351642934&sr=8-4&keywords=belkin+usb+hub+travel

For the powered hub, I've found one on Amazon which looks like:
http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-4-Port-Cable-Power-Supply/dp/B00004Z6KW/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1351642766&sr=8-7&keywords=powered+usb+hub

you guys think it's a good idea to get this hub?
Thanks :D

James

Re: Streaming webcam with Gumstix Overo Fire

William Pretty Security Inc
IMHO: The first one is crap! I hope it was cheap :)

I would use the second one.
I have a setup here that powers both the Gumstix and the hub from the same
3A 5V adapter.