Redundant Computer on modules and template matching

Redundant Computer on modules and template matching

Ben_again
Dear Gumstix users,

Im happy to find a way to contact you!

I have a small computer vision system under development.

Id like to make a standalone automated tool, that does the following:
Upon user interaction (GPIO action or push button) the system takes a 5-8 megapixel photo;
Than the system runs a c++/c computer vision script (simple template matching) to process the photo;
After the photo is processed, the system should do some GPIO actions(Match Found/Not found).

I need a small computer on module plus a camera module that is able to do the above mentioned task.
I would also be happy if i could make a redundant system (2x camera, 2x computer-on-module).
Im also aiming to build a system with low power consumption and fast reaction speed.

Dimensions:
I have a 80mm long 55mm wide and 38mm high "box" in which the electronics should be fit inside.
The length can be longer if really needed, or the camera module(s) can stick out of the "box" if can not fit inside.

i want to use this tool to take a photo when i push a button, then do the template matching, and beep if match found:)

I already tested the non redundant system on Raspberry PI B+ and it works, but its too large+slow, and PI Zero is always out of stock, so i ended up here.
The boot time is also a little long for me on the pi, so if you have any suggestions for that id be happy to recive it.

I would like to know if i can put together a system i mentioned above with the use of the GUMSTIX products.

thank you for your help!

Best regards!

Ben

Re: Redundant Computer on modules and template matching

Elvis Dowson-2
Hi Ben,

For this application, I would suggest using a Xilinx FPGA based image and vision processing system. The Zynq FPGA SoC has a dual ARM core, in addition to reprogrammable FPGA logic. Additionally hardware acceleration if OpenCV library functions are also supported.

Adam Taylor has several tutorials. This on is specific to the kit I had in mind.

https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Xcell-Daily-Blog/Adam-Taylor-s-MicroZed-Chronicles-Part-124-The-Avnet-MicroZed/ba-p/689714

If you need any help getting started, and decide to use it, I'd be happy to help you prototype an example pipeline.

Regards,

Elvis Dowson

> On Sep 3, 2016, at 18:14, [hidden email] wrote:
>
> Dear Gumstix users,
>
> Im happy to find a way to contact you!
>
> I have a small computer vision system under development.
>
> Id like to make a standalone automated tool, that does the following:
> Upon user interaction (GPIO action or push button) the system takes a 5-8 megapixel photo;
> Than the system runs a c++/c computer vision script (simple template matching) to process the photo;
> After the photo is processed, the system should do some GPIO actions(Match Found/Not found).
>
> I need a small computer on module plus a camera module that is able to do the above mentioned task.
> I would also be happy if i could make a redundant system (2x camera, 2x computer-on-module).
> Im also aiming to build a system with low power consumption and fast reaction speed.
>
> Dimensions:
> I have a 80mm long 55mm wide and 38mm high "box" in which the electronics should be fit inside.
> The length can be longer if really needed, or the camera module(s) can stick out of the "box" if can not fit inside.
>
> i want to use this tool to take a photo when i push a button, then do the template matching, and beep if match found:)
>
> I already tested the non redundant system on Raspberry PI B+ and it works, but its too large+slow, and PI Zero is always out of stock, so i ended up here.
> The boot time is also a little long for me on the pi, so if you have any suggestions for that id be happy to recive it.
>
> I would like to know if i can put together a system i mentioned above with the use of the GUMSTIX products.
>
> thank you for your help!
>
> Best regards!
>
> Ben

Re: Redundant Computer on modules and template matching

allsey87
I've tested the OV5640 camera module on the Duovero, it is capable of taking 5MP images. The development time would be shorter compared to the FPGA route, but the response time will vary depending on how complicated the image features are. Blob detection could be around 50ms, while perhaps it could take around 1000-1500ms for something like face recognition.

On 4 September 2016 at 00:50, Elvis Dowson <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Ben,

For this application, I would suggest using a Xilinx FPGA based image and vision processing system. The Zynq FPGA SoC has a dual ARM core, in addition to reprogrammable FPGA logic. Additionally hardware acceleration if OpenCV library functions are also supported.

Adam Taylor has several tutorials. This on is specific to the kit I had in mind.

https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Xcell-Daily-Blog/Adam-Taylor-s-MicroZed-Chronicles-Part-124-The-Avnet-MicroZed/ba-p/689714

If you need any help getting started, and decide to use it, I'd be happy to help you prototype an example pipeline.

Regards,

Elvis Dowson

> On Sep 3, 2016, at 18:14, [hidden email] wrote:
>
> Dear Gumstix users,
>
> Im happy to find a way to contact you!
>
> I have a small computer vision system under development.
>
> Id like to make a standalone automated tool, that does the following:
> Upon user interaction (GPIO action or push button) the system takes a 5-8 megapixel photo;
> Than the system runs a c++/c computer vision script (simple template matching) to process the photo;
> After the photo is processed, the system should do some GPIO actions(Match Found/Not found).
>
> I need a small computer on module plus a camera module that is able to do the above mentioned task.
> I would also be happy if i could make a redundant system (2x camera, 2x computer-on-module).
> Im also aiming to build a system with low power consumption and fast reaction speed.
>
> Dimensions:
> I have a 80mm long 55mm wide and 38mm high "box" in which the electronics should be fit inside.
> The length can be longer if really needed, or the camera module(s) can stick out of the "box" if can not fit inside.
>
> i want to use this tool to take a photo when i push a button, then do the template matching, and beep if match found:)
>
> I already tested the non redundant system on Raspberry PI B+ and it works, but its too large+slow, and PI Zero is always out of stock, so i ended up here.
> The boot time is also a little long for me on the pi, so if you have any suggestions for that id be happy to recive it.
>
> I would like to know if i can put together a system i mentioned above with the use of the GUMSTIX products.
>
> thank you for your help!
>
> Best regards!
>
> Ben

Re: Redundant Computer on modules and template matching

Scott Ellis
How about a Raspberry Pi CM3 solution using a custom
Gumstix Gepetto designed expansion board along with the
new 8MB pixel RPi cameras?

The RPi CM3 boards aren't officially out yet, but the DTS
commits are in their kernel tree and mention of them in the
official MagPi magazine is becoming more common.

And from some posts on the RPi forums, it sounds like
the CM3s will be pin-compatible with the first-gen CM
modules.

You said you tried the RPi B+ boards and they didn't have
enough processing power. The RPi CM3's will have the same
64-bit quad-core ARM chips as the RPI3s. They should easily
give you 10x the performance of the single-core RPi B+ boards.

You can do cheap prototyping using $35 RPi3 boards and the
$30 RPi cameras.

Using the RPi also gives you access to a huge community of
developers and existing code to assist in the image processing
algos.

There are plenty of O/S choices with the RPi, in particular a
Yocto build will get you a very mean, lean system.

A custom Gumstix Gepetto designed expansion board will let you
get the form-factor you want.

And the Gumstix Pi Compute FastFlash board makes flashing CM
boards easy.

Re: Redundant Computer on modules and template matching

Ben_again
Dear Elvis Dowson,

Thank you for your help and sorry for the late reply!

I also had FPGA in mind for doing various opencv tasks.
It seems to be the best solution to do all the job with an FPGA in my prototype.
The problem is that: programming an FPGA is more complicated for me than all the other options avaible.
Since i do not have experience in FPGA programming, i decided to take is as a secondary priority.
I have a custom template matching solution i plan to run on the planned system.
The source is ready in python and in c++, if you know where should i start to convert my source into FPGA hardware ill be happy to try my luck.
id like to ask an other thing:
What do you mean exactly when you write: "happy to help you prototype an example pipeline"

Best regards!
Ben

Re: Redundant Computer on modules and template matching

Ben_again
Dear Scott Ellis,

Thank you for your suggestions!
Especially mentioning me the Yocto.
I will test it for sure.
Im also glad to know that there is possibility to get the RPi CM3 boards soon.
Do you have any info about the idle/active power consumption of the RPi CM3 boards?
I need this info because i plan to run the system on battery.

Best regards!

Ben

Re: Redundant Computer on modules and template matching

Scott Ellis
I don't know the CM3 power requirements. They aren't out yet ;-)

A good part should be under your control with a custom expansion board.

I imagine you could build a system that used less power then the stock
RPi3 B boards, so you could use that as a reference.

Re: Redundant Computer on modules and template matching

Ben_again
Dear allsey87,

Thank you for your information on Duovero!
Ill keep that in mind!
I plan to run a custom made template matching script on the system.
Template(s) are stored and the taken picture is matched.
It seems simple, but not simple doing it with FPGA:(

I have some Duovero questions:
Have you ever tried to power in with accumulator/battery?
Have you ever tested the idle and active power consumption of it?

Best regards!

Ben

Re: Redundant Computer on modules and template matching

allsey87
Hi Ben,

These figures are only approximate, but from what I remember from testing at 3.3V:

~250mA during idle, this is just the system booted connected via console, wifi connection on but idle.
~400mA during wifi transmitting
~1000mA for short periods during boot, especially during probing the USB devices (If I remember correctly)

I do run the Duovero off a battery, but I have a special power system designed for a small robot which uses two batteries, one for duovero + logic, the other for powering everything else. While I know what you are talking regarding matching images to templates, it isn't my area of expertise. I suspect however that the required processing time will vary greatly with the size of the input image, the complexity of the template, and also the CPU capabilities.

Assuming you plan on using OpenCV for the template matching etc, there was talk of OpenCV acquiring Itseez who had an ARM accelerated version of the library (http://opencv.org/itseez-announces-release-of-accelerated-cv-library.html). Perhaps write them an email and please do share any information you get regarding development, availability and licencing.

Lastly, if you need idle power consumption lower, there are such things as pm kernels, there was one for the original Overo hardware I believe, whether or not one is available for the OMAP4 / Duovero I'm not sure. Perhaps Scott Ellis from Jumpnow Technologies could answer this question.