Realtime plotting on LCD

zudil
Hello,

I am building an ECG monitoring system which needs real time display. I am using Overo Fire with version 2.6.36 and chestnut43 board with 4.3" LCD.

Currently, I have a code, written in C, which reads ADC pins continously and transmits data to PC via WiFi and displays in MATLAB. Now, I want to display it directly from the Gumstix, on the 4.3" LCD. But, C doesnt have plotting libraries. I tried some other libraries like Plplot, but I couldnt compile.

As I dont have much experience with programming, my question is, how can I plot a realtime signal on the LCD.
Could someone suggest me some plotting tools/libraries that work on Angstrom, or any other better solution?

Thank you

Re: Realtime plotting on LCD

sturnfie
zudil wrote
As I dont have much experience with programming, my question is, how can I plot a realtime signal on the LCD.
Could someone suggest me some plotting tools/libraries that work on Angstrom, or any other better solution?

Thank you
Hi,

We have an application that uses QT/Embedded for the GUI. The application displays/stores/analyzes continuous data from a serial connection to a photon counter. I'd suggest looking into it, particularly if you also want to avoid the bulk of X windows.

Lucas
Lucas Sturnfield
sturnfie@gmail.com

Re: Realtime plotting on LCD

Ash Charles
I'm personally a fan of matplotlib as a capable python-based plotting
library that doesn't feel so different than matlab (other than being
free :) ).  I've not tried running it on the Gumstix though.
-Ash

On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 9:03 AM, sturnfie <[hidden email]> wrote:

> zudil wrote
>>
>> As I dont have much experience with programming, my question is, how can I
>> plot a realtime signal on the LCD.
>> Could someone suggest me some plotting tools/libraries that work on
>> Angstrom, or any other better solution?
>>
>> Thank you
>>

> Hi,
>
> We have an application that uses QT/Embedded for the GUI. The application
> displays/stores/analyzes continuous data from a serial connection to a
> photon counter. I'd suggest looking into it, particularly if you also want
> to avoid the bulk of X windows.
>
> Lucas
>
> -----
> --
> Lucas Sturnfield

Re: Realtime plotting on LCD

Harvey Chapman-2
We use Qt Embedded as well for a vision screening device. I've also used FLTK in the past which is a *really* lightweight toolkit. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles of Qt by far, but I mention it because the main developer uses it for his ECG apps so maybe it might be of use to you. :)

Harvey

On Jan 17, 2012, at 12:03 PM, sturnfie wrote:

> zudil wrote
>>
>> As I dont have much experience with programming, my question is, how can I
>> plot a realtime signal on the LCD.
>> Could someone suggest me some plotting tools/libraries that work on
>> Angstrom, or any other better solution?
>>
>> Thank you
>>

> Hi,
>
> We have an application that uses QT/Embedded for the GUI. The application
> displays/stores/analyzes continuous data from a serial connection to a
> photon counter. I'd suggest looking into it, particularly if you also want
> to avoid the bulk of X windows.
>
> Lucas
>
> -----
> --
> Lucas Sturnfield

Re: Realtime plotting on LCD

Harvey Chapman-2
On Jan 17, 2012, at 12:03 PM, sturnfie wrote:
> We have an application that uses QT/Embedded for the GUI. The application
> displays/stores/analyzes continuous data from a serial connection to a
> photon counter. I'd suggest looking into it, particularly if you also want
> to avoid the bulk of X windows.

Lucas,

What do you use for plotting? I used to use WxWidgets, but having used Qt, I'm not going back to Wx.

Re: Realtime plotting on LCD

sturnfie
Harvey Chapman-2 wrote
On Jan 17, 2012, at 12:03 PM, sturnfie wrote:
> We have an application that uses QT/Embedded for the GUI. The application
> displays/stores/analyzes continuous data from a serial connection to a
> photon counter. I'd suggest looking into it, particularly if you also want
> to avoid the bulk of X windows.

Lucas,

What do you use for plotting? I used to use WxWidgets, but having used Qt, I'm not going back to Wx.
Our primary plotting window is a side-scroller data feed when actively recording, and a historical record viewer when not.

A data matrix is maintained in the background (size mapped per current display zoom level) and is populated from a datastore accordingly. At our screen update interval, the data matrix is linearly transversed and lines are drawn to connect points. User features allowing for scaling and shifting of the data are handled as multipliers/offsets for the x/y coordinates of the points.

I suppose the cleanest answer to your question is that I use qpainter.h for the graphics, qdatastream.h for retrieving data from a datastore (serial data pulled in separate process), and qwidget.h for the scaffolding & canvas. Various other support libraries are used for the rest of the interface (qlayout.h, qhbox,h, qvbox.h, etc).

Lucas
Lucas Sturnfield
sturnfie@gmail.com

Re: Realtime plotting on LCD

James Linder

On 18/01/2012, at 3:34 AM, [hidden email] wrote:

>> As I dont have much experience with programming, my question is, how can I
>> plot a realtime signal on the LCD.
>> Could someone suggest me some plotting tools/libraries that work on
>> Angstrom, or any other better solution?
>>
>> Thank you
>>

> Hi,
>
> We have an application that uses QT/Embedded for the GUI. The application
> displays/stores/analyzes continuous data from a serial connection to a
> photon counter. I'd suggest looking into it, particularly if you also want
> to avoid the bulk of X windows.

I think that the nice bit about Qt is that you can do all your pre-playing and learning on the platform of your choice (win, mac or linux) then port your working solution to your gumstix with I'd guess Qt-embedded (as opposed to say Sakoman's ubuntu)

If you are NOT a c++ programmer then Qt's c++ is very gentle then soon quite nice. 'Course if you are then like a duck to water ...

James

High Temperature Environments

Dan Nelson

Does anyone on the list have experience using gumstix in a high
temperature environment?  We're looking at putting the Overo FE COM in a
large enclosure in places where the temperature gets upward of 50
degrees C.  Would I need some sort of heatsink on the the processor
and/or the wifi/Bluetooth module?

There's supposedly a temperature sensor on the processor, does anyone
know how to access it?

Thanks

Dan

Re: High Temperature Environments

Steven
I've put FE's in close to 50C ambient environments without a problem,
but I disabled the on-board wifi which generates a significant amount
of heat.  If you don't turn wifi power management on with iwconfig,
the wifi chip could get really hot doing nothing.

On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 8:10 PM, Dan Nelson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Does anyone on the list have experience using gumstix in a high
> temperature environment?  We're looking at putting the Overo FE COM in a
> large enclosure in places where the temperature gets upward of 50
> degrees C.  Would I need some sort of heatsink on the the processor
> and/or the wifi/Bluetooth module?
>
> There's supposedly a temperature sensor on the processor, does anyone
> know how to access it?
>
> Thanks
>
> Dan

Re: High Temperature Environments

R. P. McMurphy
It depends upon the CPU load. I've put Earth's in 30C ambient and
measure the junction temp at 75C under full load. That means a 45C
rise above ambient. In a 50C ambient environment you could expect 95C
junction. That is already a borderline value that will affect
reliability. Plus the FE has the SGX and DSP so if they are active you
could expect a higher wattage and thus a higher temp, perhaps well
over 110C.

For reference: most x86 CPU system will shutdown at 96C junction to
protect the CPU.

RP

On 1/18/12, Steven <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I've put FE's in close to 50C ambient environments without a problem,
> but I disabled the on-board wifi which generates a significant amount
> of heat.  If you don't turn wifi power management on with iwconfig,
> the wifi chip could get really hot doing nothing.
>
> On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 8:10 PM, Dan Nelson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Does anyone on the list have experience using gumstix in a high
>> temperature environment?  We're looking at putting the Overo FE COM in a
>> large enclosure in places where the temperature gets upward of 50
>> degrees C.  Would I need some sort of heatsink on the the processor
>> and/or the wifi/Bluetooth module?
>>
>> There's supposedly a temperature sensor on the processor, does anyone
>> know how to access it?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Dan

Re: Realtime plotting on LCD

sturnfie
James Linder wrote
On 18/01/2012, at 3:34 AM, [hidden email] wrote:

>> As I dont have much experience with programming, my question is, how can I
>> plot a realtime signal on the LCD.
>> Could someone suggest me some plotting tools/libraries that work on
>> Angstrom, or any other better solution?
>>
>> Thank you
>>

> Hi,
>
> We have an application that uses QT/Embedded for the GUI. The application
> displays/stores/analyzes continuous data from a serial connection to a
> photon counter. I'd suggest looking into it, particularly if you also want
> to avoid the bulk of X windows.

I think that the nice bit about Qt is that you can do all your pre-playing and learning on the platform of your choice (win, mac or linux) then port your working solution to your gumstix with I'd guess Qt-embedded (as opposed to say Sakoman's ubuntu)

If you are NOT a c++ programmer then Qt's c++ is very gentle then soon quite nice. 'Course if you are then like a duck to water ...

James
Also, if you use Qt4.x there are some pretty cool looking plugins for Eclipse to help the process along (architecture, GUI, events, etc). The code is portable as James mentioned, but there will be a cross-compilation step that might be a hurdle.

Lucas
Lucas Sturnfield
sturnfie@gmail.com

Re: High Temperature Environments

Alex Gibson-3
On 18/01/2012 12:10 PM, Dan Nelson wrote:

> Does anyone on the list have experience using gumstix in a high
> temperature environment?  We're looking at putting the Overo FE COM in a
> large enclosure in places where the temperature gets upward of 50
> degrees C.  Would I need some sort of heatsink on the the processor
> and/or the wifi/Bluetooth module?
>
> There's supposedly a temperature sensor on the processor, does anyone
> know how to access it?
>
> Thanks
>
> Dan

Heat sink/s and fan/s.

Use off board wifi and bluetooth to spread out the heat sources in the
enclosure - usb dongles though may need to open them up and add
heatsinks as well.

Will probably want to monitor enclosure temps as well.

Good thing is gumstix don't seem to attract ants as much as normal pc's
and don't seem to get shorted by ants trying to form neats around them
(luckily was only small sugar ants not larger ones like meat ants)

Alex

Re: Realtime plotting on LCD

ScottEllis
You can compile Qt programs on the Gumstix, but it's not fast.

If you take James' advice and develop on another machine first, its not so bad.

On 1/17/12, sturnfie <[hidden email]> wrote:

> James Linder wrote

>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> We have an application that uses QT/Embedded for the GUI. The application
>>> displays/stores/analyzes continuous data from a serial connection to a
>>> photon counter. I'd suggest looking into it, particularly if you also
>>> want
>>> to avoid the bulk of X windows.
>>
>> I think that the nice bit about Qt is that you can do all your pre-playing
>> and learning on the platform of your choice (win, mac or linux) then port
>> your working solution to your gumstix with I'd guess Qt-embedded (as
>> opposed to say Sakoman's ubuntu)
>>
>> If you are NOT a c++ programmer then Qt's c++ is very gentle then soon
>> quite nice. 'Course if you are then like a duck to water ...
>>
>> James
>>

> Also, if you use Qt4.x there are some pretty cool looking plugins for
> Eclipse to help the process along (architecture, GUI, events, etc). The code
> is portable as James mentioned, but there will be a cross-compilation step
> that might be a hurdle.
>
> Lucas
>

> -----
> --
> Lucas Sturnfield

Re: Realtime plotting on LCD

AKS-4
Hi

I have been using Qt/Qwt on Ubuntu on Gumstix and I found it
good for developing HMI and it is free. I checked motif too but
I think Qt has better documentation and peer support. Cheers!

On 1/18/12, Scott Ellis <[hidden email]> wrote:

> You can compile Qt programs on the Gumstix, but it's not fast.
>
> If you take James' advice and develop on another machine first, its not so
> bad.
>
> On 1/17/12, sturnfie <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> James Linder wrote

>>> I think that the nice bit about Qt is that you can do all your
>>> pre-playing
>>> and learning on the platform of your choice (win, mac or linux) then port
>>> your working solution to your gumstix with I'd guess Qt-embedded (as
>>> opposed to say Sakoman's ubuntu)
>>>
>>> If you are NOT a c++ programmer then Qt's c++ is very gentle then soon
>>> quite nice. 'Course if you are then like a duck to water ...
>>>
>>> James
>>>

>> Also, if you use Qt4.x there are some pretty cool looking plugins for
>> Eclipse to help the process along (architecture, GUI, events, etc). The
>> code
>> is portable as James mentioned, but there will be a cross-compilation step
>> that might be a hurdle.
>>
>> Lucas
>>

>> -----
>> --
>> Lucas Sturnfield
>> [hidden email]

Re: High Temperature Environments

Dan Nelson
Thank you to those who responded to my question.

Dan

On 18/01/2012 12:10 PM, Dan Nelson wrote:

> Does anyone on the list have experience using gumstix in a high
> temperature environment?  We're looking at putting the Overo FE COM in

> large enclosure in places where the temperature gets upward of 50
> degrees C.  Would I need some sort of heatsink on the the processor
> and/or the wifi/Bluetooth module?
>
> There's supposedly a temperature sensor on the processor, does anyone
> know how to access it?
>
> Thanks
>
> Dan

Heat sink/s and fan/s.

Use off board wifi and bluetooth to spread out the heat sources in the
enclosure - usb dongles though may need to open them up and add
heatsinks as well.

Will probably want to monitor enclosure temps as well.

Good thing is gumstix don't seem to attract ants as much as normal pc's
and don't seem to get shorted by ants trying to form neats around them
(luckily was only small sugar ants not larger ones like meat ants)

Alex

Re: Realtime plotting on LCD

ronan

 I personnally use gnuplot  interacting directly with C (see gnuplot interfaces in ANSI C).

 This  can provide an "oscilloscope-like" view  (designed for an application of liquid level measurements in real time).

But maybe it is not suitable with too many data  to plot or high refresh frequency screen desired.

.... very interesting thread by the way ...

Ronan

thanks for this interesting thread

Re: Realtime plotting on LCD

bhamadicharef
Hi

One can install compile and use OpenCV
to do some real time plot of time series.

Brahim