Quantcast

Re: create a full development environment on a USB disk drive

Re: create a full development environment on a USB disk drive

James Linder

On 27/04/2012, at 11:10 AM, [hidden email] wrote:

> I'd like to create a full development environment on a USB disk drive for
> my Gumstix project.
>
> Did anyone have ever attempted to do this before? if yes, please advise on
> HOWTO.
>
> I went on Gumstix site looking for "how to set up ?chroot? " but couldn't
> get any! if any idea, please provide the link/documentation.

Hi
this task is quite easy, but complex enough to daunt brave soles who venture here.

In few lines:
Install ubuntu (say 10.04 because that seems to have least problems with BitBake etc)
Create a bootable USB stick from the menu
use this to get what you want https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LiveCDCustomizationFromScratch

If those instructions are too brief (a) you are going to struggle to do this task (b) understanding and doing this will be the best learning experience you can get.
Enjoy, have fun because the road ahead is rocky and hard and without doubt paved with failures

I don't want to be pessimistic, but I think it would be an error to let you believe that it will be easy and the failure is your fault.
ciao
James

Re: create a full development environment on a USB disk drive

Gutembert
Thank you James,

You mentioned: "Install ubuntu (say 10.04 because that seems to have least problems with BitBake etc) "; will this be installed onto the USB disk drive or the PC?

Thanks for warning me; this will keep me positive for the task ahead.

Thank you,
Gutembert.