Re: connex400xm + wifistix-CF + GPSstix + LCD question

Re: connex400xm + wifistix-CF + GPSstix + LCD question

Vikram Kaul

> The connex only has 4 UARTs.  When you say "capability of connecting 3
> more serial devices" does that include a serial connection to log in?
> I think once you get the wifi setup (and automatically starting at
> boot) you can then use it to ssh into the stix, so you won't need a
> serial connection for management.

I am not so sure. Although, technically, that should be an OK method;
but if something goes wrong (like some wifi driver issues at startup),
then I might not be able to log in. So, I would really prefer a separate
way to get into the system

> Here is what I understand:
> * The wifistix will use a single UART (HW).
> * The 20 LCD lines don't conflict with the UART lines (is this true?)
> * I think the breakout-gs exposes the UARTs plus the LCD lines.

Does this mean that once the wifistix is used, I am down to 2 serial ports ?
Also, if the FFUART is used as the output terminal for uboot and a
console tty, then I have only one (STUART) remaining ?

Instead of getting the wifistix, if I get a wifistix-CF and then use an
off-the-shelf CF-to-serial convertor (like
http://www.teampctechnology.com/product_detail.php?id=220 or
http://www.elandigitalsystems.com/interface/cf332.php) which has two
serial ports; will I then be able to have a total of 3 ?

Essentially,
Will the connex-400xm + wifistix-CF + CF-2-Dual-Serial provide me with
wifi and 3 usable serial ports (STUART + 2 from the CF) and one FFUART
for console tty ?

Will that somehow preclude me from using an LCD ?

Will I necessarily need the breakout-gs to expose the LCD lines in any
case ?

Will using the breakout-gs preclude me from using the CF with dual
serial ports ?

Not being into hardware at all, I am not sure whether I need to have a
custom connection between an LCD (like the ones at earthlcd) and the
gumstix or whether I can get some pre-fab connector ? Are there such
things available ?

BTW, I just stumbled upon
http://www.cs.umd.edu/~nchen/gumstix/index.html and
http://web.tampabay.rr.com/vescovi/Project%20Gumstix/gumstix.htm
both using Drumstix BSP

> In trying to understand the UART thing, I made the following
> spreadsheet (which includes more than the UART info):
> <http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=p_swP2o4tl-C0K5F-E7Dvcg>
> * It's not meant to tell everything that is going on, just to
> highlight -potential- conflicts.
> * It has an overly-simplified view of the UART situation, which I
> suspect is actually quite complicated.

Thanks. It was helpful.