Re: confirm 4b3f4d28661d01f2b3a4cce9b0c86ce51ca21804

Re: confirm 4b3f4d28661d01f2b3a4cce9b0c86ce51ca21804

Trevor Woerner-6
This is really starting to get annoying. This is... what?... the 5th
such message I've received in the last month or so?

Can we please assume that gmail is reasonable domain and whitelist it?

If it makes you feel any better, many of my other email lists have
been having the same problem. It looks like google changed something
starting in this new year that is causing a bunch of issues. I think
it has something to do with an interaction between it (gmail) and
yahoo's mail system.

On Mon, Mar 6, 2017 at 12:14 PM,
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Your membership in the mailing list gumstix-users has been disabled
> due to excessive bounces The last bounce received from you was dated
> 06-Mar-2017.  You will not get any more messages from this list until
> you re-enable your membership.  You will receive 5 more reminders like
> this before your membership in the list is deleted.
>
> To re-enable your membership, you can simply respond to this message
> (leaving the Subject: line intact), or visit the confirmation page at

Re: confirm 4b3f4d28661d01f2b3a4cce9b0c86ce51ca21804

Ash Charles
Hey Trevor,
On Mon, Mar 6, 2017 at 1:33 PM, Trevor Woerner <[hidden email]> wrote:
> This is really starting to get annoying. This is... what?... the 5th
> such message I've received in the last month or so?
Yeah---no kidding.  I've had the same problem.

> Can we please assume that gmail is reasonable domain and whitelist it?
I hunted around the mailman (mailing list software) settings to see if
it was possible to whitelist a domain but couldn't find anything
appropriate.  For myself, as I already have a filter for this mailing
list in gmail, I just updated the filter by checking the 'Never send
it to Spam' option but I really have no idea if this will actually
have an impact.

> If it makes you feel any better, many of my other email lists have
> been having the same problem. It looks like google changed something
> starting in this new year that is causing a bunch of issues. I think
> it has something to do with an interaction between it (gmail) and
> yahoo's mail system.
I as (cough cough) still have some admin access for this list, I
bumped up the max-bounce threshold significantly and lowered the
number of bounce reminder emails to two: hopefully this makes things
more tolerant and less naggy.

--Ash

Re: confirm 4b3f4d28661d01f2b3a4cce9b0c86ce51ca21804

Trevor Woerner-6
Hi Ash,

On Mon, Mar 6, 2017 at 8:21 PM, Ash Charles <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hey Trevor,
> On Mon, Mar 6, 2017 at 1:33 PM, Trevor Woerner <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> This is really starting to get annoying. This is... what?... the 5th
>> such message I've received in the last month or so?
> Yeah---no kidding.  I've had the same problem.

Thanks for looking into this and for tweaking some knobs :-)

Based on some feedback from this same thing happening on another list,
the gist is that it has something to do with DMARC policy changes (on
gmail and/or yahoo). It seems to be caused by gmail users receiving
mail from a mailing list when the original email is sent from someone
from a yahoo domain.

Re: confirm 4b3f4d28661d01f2b3a4cce9b0c86ce51ca21804

Dave Hylands
I've run into this on one of the other forums I moderate.

The workaround seems to be to go into the Administrative interface and in "General Options" and select "Mung From" (I see this in the first set of radio buttons - about the 7th setting.

On Mon, Mar 6, 2017 at 6:31 PM, Trevor Woerner <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Ash,

On Mon, Mar 6, 2017 at 8:21 PM, Ash Charles <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hey Trevor,
> On Mon, Mar 6, 2017 at 1:33 PM, Trevor Woerner <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> This is really starting to get annoying. This is... what?... the 5th
>> such message I've received in the last month or so?
> Yeah---no kidding.  I've had the same problem.

Thanks for looking into this and for tweaking some knobs :-)

Based on some feedback from this same thing happening on another list,
the gist is that it has something to do with DMARC policy changes (on
gmail and/or yahoo). It seems to be caused by gmail users receiving
mail from a mailing list when the original email is sent from someone
from a yahoo domain.

Dave Hylands
Shuswap, BC, Canada
http://www.davehylands.com

Re: confirm 4b3f4d28661d01f2b3a4cce9b0c86ce51ca21804

Gumstix mailing list
Thanks Dave and Ash!  I have given this a shot, and will look to see whether it works.
Gordon
    Geppetto builds your boards for you!

The workaround seems to be to go into the Administrative interface and in "General Options" and select "Mung From" (I see this in the first set of radio buttons - about the 7th setting.

Re: confirm 4b3f4d28661d01f2b3a4cce9b0c86ce51ca21804

Gumstix mailing list
Trevor,
Have you seen an improvement?
Gordon

W. Gordon Kruberg, M.D.
President and CEO, Gumstix, Inc.
    Geppetto builds your boards for you!
    https://geppetto.gumstix.com

On Tue, Mar 7, 2017 at 10:32 AM, Gordon Kruberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks Dave and Ash!  I have given this a shot, and will look to see whether it works.
Gordon
    Geppetto builds your boards for you!

The workaround seems to be to go into the Administrative interface and in "General Options" and select "Mung From" (I see this in the first set of radio buttons - about the 7th setting.

Re: confirm 4b3f4d28661d01f2b3a4cce9b0c86ce51ca21804

Gumstix mailing list
On Fri, Mar 10, 2017 at 1:27 PM, General mailing list for gumstix
users. <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Have you seen an improvement?

Hard to say. While it's true I haven't seen anymore emails asking me
to rejoin, we also haven't seen any traffic on this list (or maybe I'm
not seeing any traffic on this list!). The bounce messages occur (for
me, a gmail user) when someone with a yahoo account posts to the list
(or at least that's my current theory).