Re: Verdex 120 pin connector, pin 16

David Snowdon-2
Next drama regarding that 120 pin connector: actually getting hold of
them in small quantities. Molex doesn't want to sell me anything less
than 2000, and our local distributor won't deal with us because the
expected usage is quite low (we're working on power management
research and a development kit for our operating system).

Are there any plans to offer the mating 120 pin connector in the same
way as the connex 60 pin connector?

Regards,

Dave.

On 15/05/2007, at 12:46 AM, Gordon Kruberg wrote:

> David,
>
> The signal is in fact GPIO_99.
> The labeling on the netCF-120 had "historical relevance" for the
> PXA255
> netCF where ETH0_INTR0 was on GPIO_36; we will rename the net in
> future
> revs.
>
> Gordon
>

>> G'Day,
>>
>> I've been designing a custom baseboard for a Verdex Gumstix.
>>
>> I've noticed a discrepancy between the NetCF-120 schematics and the
>> published pinout. The NetCF-120 gives pin 16 on the 120 pin connector
>> as being GPIO36, but the chart in docwiki.gumstix.org says that that
>> pin should be GPIO99. This makes quite a big difference to me, since
>> I want to be able to bring the FF UART out of those pins for a
>> console.
>>
>> Is there anyone who can clarify?
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Dave.

Re: Verdex 120 pin connector, pin 16

Jeff Sadowski
how do you solider things that small and how do you make the trace lines?
If I could figure out stuff like that I'd be interested also :-P

On 5/15/07, David Snowdon <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Next drama regarding that 120 pin connector: actually getting hold of
> them in small quantities. Molex doesn't want to sell me anything less
> than 2000, and our local distributor won't deal with us because the
> expected usage is quite low (we're working on power management
> research and a development kit for our operating system).
>
> Are there any plans to offer the mating 120 pin connector in the same
> way as the connex 60 pin connector?
>
> Regards,
>
> Dave.
>
> On 15/05/2007, at 12:46 AM, Gordon Kruberg wrote:
>
> > David,
> >
> > The signal is in fact GPIO_99.
> > The labeling on the netCF-120 had "historical relevance" for the
> > PXA255
> > netCF where ETH0_INTR0 was on GPIO_36; we will rename the net in
> > future
> > revs.
> >
> > Gordon
> >

> >> G'Day,
> >>
> >> I've been designing a custom baseboard for a Verdex Gumstix.
> >>
> >> I've noticed a discrepancy between the NetCF-120 schematics and the
> >> published pinout. The NetCF-120 gives pin 16 on the 120 pin connector
> >> as being GPIO36, but the chart in docwiki.gumstix.org says that that
> >> pin should be GPIO99. This makes quite a big difference to me, since
> >> I want to be able to bring the FF UART out of those pins for a
> >> console.
> >>
> >> Is there anyone who can clarify?
> >>
> >> Cheers,
> >>
> >> Dave.

Re: Verdex 120 pin connector, pin 16

David Snowdon-2
You get yourself a decent soldering iron, decent flux and a decent
magnifier (Mantis). Then you get your board built by someone that can
do small traces (check out the traces on the Verdex board -- the
PXA270 has an 0.5mm ball pitch, which means that you've got to have
microvias (<= 0.1mm) just to fan it out!).

Oh yeah... A steady hand and lack of coffee helps. (I've been told
red wine improves things too... :-).

Dave.

On 16/05/2007, at 3:17 PM, Jeff Sadowski wrote:

> how do you solider things that small and how do you make the trace
> lines?
> If I could figure out stuff like that I'd be interested also :-P
>
> On 5/15/07, David Snowdon <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Next drama regarding that 120 pin connector: actually getting hold of
>> them in small quantities. Molex doesn't want to sell me anything less
>> than 2000, and our local distributor won't deal with us because the
>> expected usage is quite low (we're working on power management
>> research and a development kit for our operating system).
>>
>> Are there any plans to offer the mating 120 pin connector in the same
>> way as the connex 60 pin connector?
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Dave.
>>
>> On 15/05/2007, at 12:46 AM, Gordon Kruberg wrote:
>>
>>> David,
>>>
>>> The signal is in fact GPIO_99.
>>> The labeling on the netCF-120 had "historical relevance" for the
>>> PXA255
>>> netCF where ETH0_INTR0 was on GPIO_36; we will rename the net in
>>> future
>>> revs.
>>>
>>> Gordon

Re: Verdex 120 pin connector, pin 16

Dave Hylands
HI Jeff,

On 5/15/07, Jeff Sadowski <[hidden email]> wrote:
> how do you solider things that small and how do you make the trace lines?
> If I could figure out stuff like that I'd be interested also :-P

Using a microscope, a fine soldering iron, lots of flux and solder braid.

Doing these properly uses solder paste, a stencil for the paste, and
an reflow oven.
http://www.huv.com/blog/2007/04/surface-mount-stencils.html
http://www.huv.com/blog/2007/03/reflow-oven.html

--
Dave Hylands
Vancouver, BC, Canada

Re: Verdex 120 pin connector, pin 16

Jeff Sadowski
I'll stick with trying to find usb devices and just buy the boards from gumstix
I might try the robostix or the breakout boards :-) they have big
enough stuff for me.
My hand is shaky always so I would never have that much control

On 5/15/07, Dave Hylands <[hidden email]> wrote:

> HI Jeff,
>
> On 5/15/07, Jeff Sadowski <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > how do you solider things that small and how do you make the trace lines?
> > If I could figure out stuff like that I'd be interested also :-P
>
> Using a microscope, a fine soldering iron, lots of flux and solder braid.
>
> Doing these properly uses solder paste, a stencil for the paste, and
> an reflow oven.
> http://www.huv.com/blog/2007/04/surface-mount-stencils.html
> http://www.huv.com/blog/2007/03/reflow-oven.html
>
> --
> Dave Hylands
> Vancouver, BC, Canada
> http://www.DaveHylands.com/

Re: Verdex 120 pin connector, pin 16

DJ Delorie

"Dave Hylands" <[hidden email]> writes:
> Doing these properly uses solder paste, a stencil for the paste, and
> an reflow oven.

In a pinch, you can etch your own brass stencils and use a hotplate :-)

http://www.delorie.com/house/furnace/pcb2/
http://www.delorie.com/pcb/brass/
http://www.delorie.com/pcb/hotplate/

Re: Verdex 120 pin connector, pin 16

Jon Hylands
On 16 May 2007 09:56:18 -0400, DJ Delorie <[hidden email]> wrote:

> In a pinch, you can etch your own brass stencils and use a hotplate :-)
>
> http://www.delorie.com/house/furnace/pcb2/
> http://www.delorie.com/pcb/brass/
> http://www.delorie.com/pcb/hotplate/

Interesting. You can get away with not using a stencil at all if you're
really careful (I have hand-applied paste to a 0.5mm pitch MLF-32). It
takes a long time though - with the stencil, you spend 2 or 3 minutes
getting set up, and about 10 seconds applying the paste. It comes out 10x
better than doing by hand...

For a net-120 connector, if I knew I was going to do a few boards (more
than one), I would probably send away and get one of the mylar stencils for
just the connector - you can stencil the hard piece, and do the rest of the
solder paste by hand.

Digikey sells the solder paste in a syringe, for around $50 CAD. I found a
relatively local place (in Burlington, ON) that will sell the same thing
for under $10, so I'm sticking with them.

Later,
Jon

Re: Verdex 120 pin connector, pin 16

Dave Hylands
HI DJ,

> In a pinch, you can etch your own brass stencils and use a hotplate :-)
>
> http://www.delorie.com/house/furnace/pcb2/
> http://www.delorie.com/pcb/brass/
> http://www.delorie.com/pcb/hotplate/

Very nice.

--
Dave Hylands
Vancouver, BC, Canada

Jon Hylands <[hidden email]> writes:
> Interesting. You can get away with not using a stencil at all if you're
> really careful (I have hand-applied paste to a 0.5mm pitch MLF-32). It
> takes a long time though - with the stencil, you spend 2 or 3 minutes
> getting set up, and about 10 seconds applying the paste. It comes out 10x
> better than doing by hand...

In the case of the 60 pin connector, I was worried that most of the
pin surface is under the connector body, so any shorts in there would
be difficult to fix.  There was still one short even with the stencil,
but I was able to fix it with some desoldering braid.

For most of my parts, I manually apply paste to the pads, place the
part, and use the iron to reflow the paste.  It's easier than using
three hands to solder with wire (one to hold the part, one to hold the
solder, one to hold the iron).

> For a net-120 connector, if I knew I was going to do a few boards
> (more than one), I would probably send away and get one of the mylar
> stencils for just the connector - you can stencil the hard piece,
> and do the rest of the solder paste by hand.

http://www.pololu.com/ can do mylar stencils, not that I've used them,
and the 0.5mm pitch was just at the edge of their capabilities (10mil
laser).  Doing DIY brass is tricky, because the etchant undercuts a
lot (and no, you can't readily adjust for it, because you still lose
the sharp corners and such).  I'm going to try a thinner brass (used 5
mil before, going to try 2 or 3 mil next) and see if I get better
results.

> Digikey sells the solder paste in a syringe, for around $50 CAD.

I use SynTECH from Stencils Unlimited[*] as it doesn't require
refrigeration, and it's inexpensive.

[*] http://www.stencilsunlimited.com/solder_products.php

On 16 May 2007 11:56:22 -0400, DJ Delorie <[hidden email]> wrote:

> http://www.pololu.com/ can do mylar stencils, not that I've used them,
> and the 0.5mm pitch was just at the edge of their capabilities (10mil
> laser).  Doing DIY brass is tricky, because the etchant undercuts a
> lot (and no, you can't readily adjust for it, because you still lose
> the sharp corners and such).  I'm going to try a thinner brass (used 5
> mil before, going to try 2 or 3 mil next) and see if I get better
> results.

I had my stencils done by Pololu, and they work great. I think they use 3
mil mylar for the fine pitch stuff.

Once I get the rest of the boards solidified, I'm going to get mylar
stencils for all of them - its such a huge time and effort saver.

Later,
Jon