Quantcast

Re: Tobi / Gumstix Firestorm - USB Flash Drive not detected

Re: Tobi / Gumstix Firestorm - USB Flash Drive not detected

Andrew C. Smith
Hi John,

Have you tried plugging in a hub (a high-speed hub, USB2.0) into the USB port on the Tobi and then plugging in the usb flash drive?  Have you tried newer USB2.0 or USB3.0 (USB3 not supported but backwards compatible with 2.0)?

The reason I ask, there's a known issue with the USB port on the OMAP3 and OMAP4 systems where a full-speed USB device is not enumerated properly, only high-speed devices.  So if you plug in a high-speed device (USB hub), it forces the kernel to use the high-speed driver (ehci-omap instead of ohci-omap3) for child devices of the hub (USB flash drive).

If you want more details let me know.  Please let me know how it goes.

Thanks,

Andrew

On Thu, Jun 30, 2016 at 5:32 AM, John Davis <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Gumstix Users,

I have a Tobi board with a Gumstix Firestorm using the latest pre-built Poky 1.7 (Dizzy) Images from the Yocto project. I'm trying to use a USB Flash Drive in the Tobi USB socket but no new devices are being detected.

"lsusb" always reports:

Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub

"lsusb -v" with no USB stick:

usb 2-2: device not accepting address 56, error -62

usb 2-2: new full-speed USB device number 57 using ohci-omap3

usb 2-2: device not accepting address 57, error -62

usb usb2-port2: unable to enumerate USB device

"lusb -v" with USB stick:

usb usb2-port2: Cannot enable. Maybe the USB cable is bad?

usb usb2-port2: unable to enumerate USB device

I have tried using different USB Flash Drives and different Gumstix devices but to no avail.

Should this functionality just work? Are there any steps that I am missing?

Kind regards,

John

Re: Tobi / Gumstix Firestorm - USB Flash Drive not detected

Andrew C. Smith
Hi John,

Ok that looks different than what I was thinking ... the fact that it starts with ehci and fails I think means it's a different problem.

Have you checked the 5V supply on the host port?  When you plug in a device (web cam) does the 5V (VBUS) stay at 5V?

Thanks,

Andrew

On Thu, Jun 30, 2016 at 9:25 AM, John Davis <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Andrew,

Thank for the suggestions. I am definitely using the host USB port. I have tried a web cam and it triggers these messages:

usb 1-2: new high-speed USB device number 3 using ehci-omap

usb 1-2: device descriptor read/64, error -71

usb 1-2: device descriptor read/64, error -71

usb 1-2: new high-speed USB device number 4 using ehci-omap

usb 1-2: device descriptor read/64, error -71

usb 1-2: device descriptor read/64, error -71

usb 1-2: new high-speed USB device number 5 using ehci-omap

usb 1-2: device not accepting address 5, error -71

usb 1-2: new high-speed USB device number 6 using ehci-omap

usb 1-2: device not accepting address 6, error -71

usb usb1-port2: unable to enumerate USB device

usb 2-2: new full-speed USB device number 10 using ohci-omap3

usb 2-2: device descriptor read/64, error -62

usb 2-2: device descriptor read/64, error -62

usb 2-2: new full-speed USB device number 11 using ohci-omap3

usb 2-2: device descriptor read/64, error -62

usb 2-2: device descriptor read/64, error -62

usb 2-2: new full-speed USB device number 12 using ohci-omap3

usb 2-2: device not accepting address 12, error -62

usb 2-2: new full-speed USB device number 13 using ohci-omap3

usb 2-2: device not accepting address 13, error -62

usb usb2-port2: unable to enumerate USB device

So it starts with EHCI, then reverts to OHCI and then gives up.

I’ll see if I can find some more USB hubs but the ones I have tried so far are stated as USB 2.0 hubs.

Thanks,

John

Hi John,

Powered and high-speed hubs are not the same thing.  It does not have to be externally powered.  I think what you're referring to is the OTG port, it typically does not supply enough power to run a hub on it's own and requires external power.  However, you're using the host port in this case (correct?).  Since you're still getting a message about "ohci-omap3" when you plug in the hub, I suspect it's a full-speed hub and not a high-speed hub.  Do you have a web cam handy?  Typically those are high-speed devices.

Andrew